Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Android Bicyclist posted:

Was it by chance this?

Defender Shotgun (?) by Entertech. That thing ruled.

Holy gently caress, that's the thing! That was the most beastly water gun I ever owned. Forget super soakers, this thing would practically blast a hole in some kids shirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

SuperiorToaster posted:

Martian popping thing

Z bots

I wrote a game company a letter about making a z-bots game and got a legalese thanks but no thanks in return. Literally thinking about it right this second, I'm not entirely sure it wasn't my folks that wrote it lol. I do know refusing ideas is standard operating procedure for companies though if only for IP purposes.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, nightwing was probably one of the coolest GI Joe things. I loved how its cockpit dropped down. Cobra always had the best stuff.

This reminds me of Meccano.
http://i.imgur.com/GOZnCDu.jpg

Just various metal pieces with screws and washers. But you could build neat stuff.

My dad had it when he was a kid in the 50s, his sets were more impressive
http://i.imgur.com/qz5vyRd.jpg

The crazy thing is he still had stuff he made when he was 10.

I had a few mechano sets got them from the "junk store":and put them together with my grandma

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

lidnsya posted:

I just remembered Capsela!

My dad always bought me science toys. :3

You know you'd think there aren't that many childhood things you've forgotten about (since threads like these have been all over the internet for a decade or so) and then someone posts something like this.

Cracked_Gear
Nov 4, 2013

aw poo poo cap guns! those were awesome. Then my brother made a spud gun and cap guns became boring

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

I also had another toy that I loved but seems to have become obscure: Multimac. It was a modular sci-fi themed toy where you combine parts to make spaceships or robots or other vehicles. Lots of fun!

Well hello. I had one of those, never could figure out what line it was from.

Ozz81 posted:

MASK (sweet theme, always wanted a flying Camaro or crotch rocket that turned into a helicopter)

This was, as they say, extremely my poo poo. Always wondered why these didn't stay more popular, like Transformers did, though if I'm honest, most MASK vehicles haven't aged super well.

These guys were pretty cool:

Winspector, based on a sentai show. Although my reasoning back in the day went more like "cool shiny robot!" They seriously didn't disappoint - they had a ton of accessories, and that armor was all separate pieces held on with pegs. Underneath was a skinny black figure with an insane amount of articulation for the 90s. Those breatplates and shin pieces, and the figures' feet, were metal as well. Seriously hefty things.

There was a car, too, that turned from a regular car into, well, a different-colored car with guns. Pretty nice engineering for its day though. Not unlike MASK vehicles if MASK vehicles were more subdued.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ4mRiq_AV4

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Manta Force!

A big ship with little ships inside! And little tiny men!

My brother had it but I stole it quite a lot.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Meccano was/is a pretty popular toy in the UK and other Commonwealth countries (not sure about the US). It's kind of like Lego in that the basic way it works hasn't changed since it was invented so you can use stuff from the 50s or whenever with the stuff from today no problem.

Yea, when I googled for the images most UK places showed up. The main difference between the ones I had and the ones my dad had was that the modern parts are stainless steel and aluminum and my dads seem to be green and red painted iron. Probably painted with lead paint or something else horrible from the past.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

e: Do they make these with other colours? I mean this is the only one I ever see because it's perfect for both the Swedish and Finnish markets but... do they even sell these elsewhere?

ee: Apparently yes and they even sell guys in different colours because they're not fixed. Cool beans.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 19:43 on Oct 17, 2015

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

My Lovely Horse posted:

There was a car, too, that turned from a regular car into, well, a different-colored car with guns. Pretty nice engineering for its day though. Not unlike MASK vehicles if MASK vehicles were more subdued.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ4mRiq_AV4

Oh man, this is fantastic - I still love the old 70s, 80s and 90s toys that had all that work put into them. All the articulation, making sure everything was smooth and fit just right, a level of detail that doesn't seem as good nowadays unless you're spending hundreds on something collectible.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

Meccano was/is a pretty popular toy in the UK and other Commonwealth countries (not sure about the US). It's kind of like Lego in that the basic way it works hasn't changed since it was invented so you can use stuff from the 50s or whenever with the stuff from today no problem.

When I was a kid, Meccano was sold in the US under the "Erector" name, by a company called Gilbert which later became Gabriel. My brother had a Gilbert chemistry set. I had an Erector set, but to me, Erector paled in comparison to Lego.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

e: Do they make these with other colours? I mean this is the only one I ever see because it's perfect for both the Swedish and Finnish markets but... do they even sell these elsewhere?

ee: Apparently yes and they even sell guys in different colours because they're not fixed. Cool beans.

I had a teenage mutant ninja turtle version when I was a kid.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qLn1MCB11g

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

zVxTeflon posted:

I had a teenage mutant ninja turtle version when I was a kid.

Was the puck a pizza? This is important.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Jerry Cotton posted:

Was the puck a pizza? This is important.

What's important is that you not ask stupid questions!!!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jerry Cotton posted:

I had one of these that came with The leafs and the Canadians. My Cousin had one that was the leafs vs the Canucks, and I knew another kid who had one with the Canadians and the Oilers. I am pretty sure they were sold with specific teams on them at that point, so when you bought it you'd find the teams you wanted. Either that or they were random, and packaged regionally.

They were way better than the electric football game my oldest cousin had though. Stupid thing just vibrated until everyone fell over.

Not really related to toys so to speak, but I remember in the late 80s and early 90s, kids were rewarded with Pizza for everything. There were always coupons in books and comics and games and figures and on tv for Pizza. I really think the popularity of Ninja Turtles was to blame for this.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Not really related to toys so to speak, but I remember in the late 80s and early 90s, kids were rewarded with Pizza for everything. There were always coupons in books and comics and games and figures and on tv for Pizza. I really think the popularity of Ninja Turtles was to blame for this.

I fondly remember the Book-It program from when I was in elementary school (mid-late '80s) when kids were encouraged to read as many books as possible and write short book reports about them, in exchange for coupons for free Pizza Hut personal pan pizzas. I was a voracious reader from a very early age, but it was a clever way to get kids enthusiastic about reading. It warmed my librarian heart to recently read that they're bringing Book-It back.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I can't believe nobody posted Crash Test Dummies yet. The ones we got got broke very fast, as in beyond what they were supposed to break.

My dad bough this when my older brother was born, probably mostly for himself. It did a good job driving my mother insane for the next 15 years though and we got a bunch of different cars and addon pieces.

Most of all I had a buttload of Lego though, space stuff, castles, pirates. All kinds of poo poo. Good times. Ice Planet supremacy.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

They were way better than the electric football game my oldest cousin had though. Stupid thing just vibrated until everyone fell over.

What a weird thing for a cousin to do :confused:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Foxhound posted:

I can't believe nobody posted Crash Test Dummies yet. The ones we got got broke very fast, as in beyond what they were supposed to break.

They had this huge playset where you'd strap a dummy in a chair and fire him at either a breakaway wall or a bit that measured impact force. You could even pick whether you fired him at a dashboard or a car bumper. In retrospect, that was a really weird toyline in a J.G. Ballard way.

e: there also was a cat to go with the dog above, and their action feature was they'd go flat with their legs splayed out. Kinda, uh, close to home with the vehicle theme.

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 14:51 on Oct 18, 2015

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Foxhound posted:

Most of all I had a buttload of Lego though, space stuff, castles, pirates. All kinds of poo poo. Good times. Ice Planet supremacy.

My favourites were still M-tron and the two good Space Police sets from the 90s. Ice Planet was awesome though! One day my brothers, my sister and I spent all afternoon making this big Ice Planet diorama in my room; we ranged from 7 to 10 years old at the time I think. Had that Lego space train, little skits all around and even a 'junk yard' section. We used all the clean sheets.. our mum was not best pleased (well, at first).

NLJP has a new favorite as of 16:00 on Oct 18, 2015

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

For one Christmas my entire wishlist was the Ice Planet line and I got almost all sets. Naturally, they gravitated towards the low-price end of the scale, but I did get that big space cruiser up there. In fact if I turn around right now I get a good look at it. :v:

Not to be all grumpy old man here but they really don't make Lego like they used to. Like, the builds are still great and all, but if they did Ice Planet these days they'd have a faction of evil ice monsters named Freezoid and Frosto, with small token monster vehicles getting all up in the good sets' poo poo. There would be a glacier themed tank or something as the big monster set of the theme (second largest set), and very likely a backstory around finding the five ice crystals or whatever to unlock the frozen gate (largest).

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
We were too poor for Lego, but you know what was even better? Fuckin MARBLE RACES.

You Lego kids never got to experience the sheer satisfaction in rigging one of these bad boys to send the marble flying off a ramp piece. If you had the right kind of marble, you could get some serious speed going.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
http://i.imgur.com/nZIutMp.jpg

This was the first big lego thing I had. I probably have most of the pieces still. Later castles had the walls molded as one piece, but not this bad boy, tons of the 2 nub bricks everywhere.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Street Sharks got a mention a while back in the thread, but I want to take a second to call special attention to this thing I had when I was about eight or nine.

Look at that loving tongue, jesus christ. It was textured soft plastic too, the bumps and divots and stuff weren't just painted on. The part that tied this all together was that he had a dial on his back and if you turned it around he'd spin his tongue in circles like some kind of nasty gyroscope.

Toys were messed up back when I was a kid.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I had a bug dissection kit. There was this really nasty alien bug and you could fill it with green slime blood and dissect it. It came with a small surgical bench that had prongs to keep the wound open while you operated.

it was neat.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

No pictures, but what my brother and I used to do with our He-Man toys, and WWF wrestling figures once we were bored of them was to rub their faces off against the brick wall of our house.

If you worked at it you could get their faces nearly silky smooth. It was fun.

Also to the guy that posted the Matchbox cars with the crash panels, a friend of my brothers had He-Man and Skeletor ones with the same thing but on their armour. You hit them once and it showed one scar, twice and two scars, then it went back to normal. So many epic battles were fought with those guys.

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

I remember having these before I got my first real pair of rollerblades. I loving loved skating.

also;

Lonely Virgil has a new favorite as of 04:44 on Oct 19, 2015

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

twistedmentat posted:

I had one of these that came with The leafs and the Canadians. My Cousin had one that was the leafs vs the Canucks, and I knew another kid who had one with the Canadians and the Oilers. I am pretty sure they were sold with specific teams on them at that point, so when you bought it you'd find the teams you wanted. Either that or they were random, and packaged regionally.

The pizza in Ninja turtles looked unrealistically fantastic to be completely honest. Also, I have a coupon from elementary school for a small burger king fry or maybe a whopper junior that I got for straight A's and I really want to take it up there and see if I can get my poo poo.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Toys from the 80s (old people toys)

Original Zoids.

Put them together, wind them up and watch as they very slowly walk in a straight line :allears:

Micronauts!

The base which falls over constantly:

I had this wasp, with real flappy wings which could fold back and legs which folded up.

This guy had a glow in the dark exposed brain!

This one fell over a lot and may still hold the title of least aerodynamic flying thing ever built.

Except for this thing, the mother loving Astro Station, a flying cube!

Yes, that thing on the side could launch your space dudes.

Even though it had the crappy rubber tipped missiles*, this was before the full pussification of childrens' toys and those missiles could fly all the way across the room and lightly maim your pets.

* with a very small amount of effort, you could pry off the rubber tips and expose the incredibly dangerous hard plastic tip. I'm amazed I still have both eyes.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 13:02 on Oct 19, 2015

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Seeing the lego kits getting posted in this thread made me remember my favourites.

Space Police. This bad boy right here:

and the Spyrius sets:

I had all these things, and loved them.

There's a bunch of toys that were posted that I forgot until I saw them again. So much friggin nostalgia up in here.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

The Zombie Guy posted:

Seeing the lego kits getting posted in this thread made me remember my favourites.

Space Police. This bad boy right here:

and the Spyrius sets:

I had all these things, and loved them.

There's a bunch of toys that were posted that I forgot until I saw them again. So much friggin nostalgia up in here.

Holy poo poo yes. I had that space ship too, the double cockpit was radical as gently caress when I first saw it. I also had the big robot and the small four-armed saucer in the bottom pic. I had a space base too, but it wasn't that one. I think it had more green to it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Foxhound posted:

Holy poo poo yes. I had that space ship too, the double cockpit was radical as gently caress when I first saw it.
I never had it but the cockpit setup blew my mind when I saw it in a promo picture. Kinda feel like breaking down the Ice Planet cruiser and emulating something like it now...

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

I never had it but the cockpit setup blew my mind when I saw it in a promo picture. Kinda feel like breaking down the Ice Planet cruiser and emulating something like it now...

Yeah this thread has almost made me want to raid my parents' attic for my old stuff. Looking back it's kinda boggles the mind when I try to think of how much money my parents must have spent on lego for every christmas and birthday for like 8 years.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Foxhound posted:

Yeah this thread has almost made me want to raid my parents' attic for my old stuff. Looking back it's kinda boggles the mind when I try to think of how much money my parents must have spent on lego for every christmas and birthday for like 8 years.

Back in the 80's Legos were a lot cheaper though. I remember being able to save my allowance for a couple weeks and be able to buy one of the kits and some candy. Now for even the garbage little kits you have to drop like $40 and everything is licensed and I don't think the kids are even using them the right way anymore and...old man grumble:argh:

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 18:51 on Oct 19, 2015

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Lego Friends is objectively the worst amirite fellas but it has really good colors. I was genuinely tempted to pick up a pop star set and use the black, blue and pink bricks for some kind of retro 80s neon thing.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Gorilla Salad posted:

Toys from the 80s (old people toys)

Original Zoids.

Put them together, wind them up and watch as they very slowly walk in a straight line :allears:

Holy poo poo how did I forget about these? If I remember correctly this is what convinced my parents to invest in a battery charger.

You could build more than just those things though. The only limitations were your imagination, the length or the cords, the weight of the motors, and the engineering prowess of an eight-year old.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I dare you to build anything except lovely Frog Zoid from the lovely Frog Zoid kit which is what I had.

Zortzico
Jul 3, 2007

We're Just Running In The 90's

The Zombie Guy posted:

and the Spyrius sets:

gently caress yes! Spyrius was amazing, I had the big robot set. It had ratcheting arms that would swing down when you lifted a lever, and a smaller shuttle hidden in the back. Also the forearms could detach and plug into the sides of the head for another ship and the smaller one from the back would take over as the head. Loved that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I had the smaller Spyrius robot and both saucers. The robot was always the super bad guy that all my action figures (a Power Ranger, a Bob Hoskins Mario, lovely Tiny TMNT3 Catapult Casey Jones, and Backflipping Raphael) were teamed up to defeat.

• Locked thread