Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

mlmp08 posted:

Dog awards are informal and not officially recognized. Dogs are equipment according to the DoD. Equipment cannot receive awards.

Unless they changed rules recently, there are dumb things like not giving government subsidized healthcare to retired military dogs, because you don't pay maintenance costs on discarded equipment.

IIRC there were bills to at least allow the DoD to allow private entities to donate money to be dispersed. War is Hell.

That policy should probably change. I hear the Navy gives medals to seals all the time.

ThirdPartyView posted:

Pretty certain Fred Phelps was disowned by his family/the WBC on his deathbed, which is probably why.

Nobody is getting into heaven apparently.

Or there was some abuse going on behind the scenes that they tried to keep a lid on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Gravel Gravy posted:

Or there was some abuse going on behind the scenes that they tried to keep a lid on.

As I recall, he was very much a physically abusive parent. Or at least one of his kids who got out of the cult has so claimed.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Hollismason posted:

My favorite was when we went to war because of photoshop.

!?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

http://edition.cnn.com/2003/US/03/14/sprj.irq.documents/

quote:

Who made the forgeries?

But the question remains -- who is responsible for the apparent forgeries?

Experts said the suspects include the intelligence services of Iraq's neighbors, other pro-war nations, Iraqi opposition groups or simply con men.

Most rule out the United States, Great Britain or Israel because they said those countries' intelligence services would have been able to make much more convincing forgeries if they had chosen to do so.

President Bush even highlighted the documents in his State of the Union address on January 28.

"The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa," Bush said.

U.S. officials said that the assertion by the president and British government was also based on additional evidence of Iraqi efforts to obtain uranium from another African country. But officials would not say which nation and a knowledgable U.S. official said that there was not much to that evidence either.

Just to point out again how bullshit the Iraq War was.

Gravel Gravy posted:

That policy should probably change. I hear the Navy gives medals to seals all the time.

Nobody is getting into heaven apparently.

I hadn't heard that about Fred Phelps why was he disavowed on his deathbed.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Kalman posted:

Dogs are smart and all but I don't think they really comprehend the concept of a warning shot.

You don't think a dog diagnosed with PTSD would be scared off by a loud loving gunshot? At least long enough for the dude to ride off?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Something Else posted:

You don't think a dog diagnosed with PTSD would be scared off by a loud loving gunshot? At least long enough for the dude to ride off?

The dog was not diagnosed with PTSD. The dog's owner was, and the dog was a therapy animal.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
No the dog had PTSD.

quote:

Bessler, 43, took the dog to a military vet in Baghdad who proscribed Prozac to calm the dog’s anxiety.

In 2010 they both came home with PTSD and according to Bessler, Mike’s is the Army’s first and only case.

It's actually common apparently in Military dogs.

Guy basically shot a mentally ill animal that was barking at him from 10 feet away that should be pointed out as well. The man did not suffer any injuries at all.

This isn't the first time this guy was written about either.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-ptsd-struggle/

quote:

But their final months in Iraq were so harrowing that the dog, an elite warrior like Bessler, began to suffer from post-traumatic stress and was retired from the military. Mike was later diagnosed with Canine Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, a condition military veterinarians are seeing in some dogs that were sent to the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.

Bessler adopted Mike, and with a daily dose of Prozac, a quiet life in Wyoming away and a lot of affection, the dog’s severe anxiety was successfully treated. Mike was then trained to work as a service dog for Bessler, as the soldier struggled with his own PTSD and the potentially debilitating symptoms of brain injury in his new life as acivilian. As a trained service dog Mike can anticipate and interrupt Bessler’s anxiety and darkest moods, usually by climbing on top of him or dropping a toy or tennis ball in his lap — as if to order Bessler to play instead of think himself into a well of despair.

Also the guy who shot the dog probably knew who's dog it was.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-in-each-other/

quote:

Now back home, the days were never longer than when they were apart. It was as if one’s existence was proof of the other’s survival.

Both the soldier and the dog had come home with symptoms of post-traumatic stress. Mike was retiring as a combat dog, although his PTSD would get worse before it got better. And although Bessler had been in denial about his PTSD for some time, it would soon become clear that it had become too severe for him to return to war.

Bessler had already planned to adopt Mike, but in time he would wind up training him for a new job — this time as a service dog to help protect Bessler from the unpredictable menace of PTSD.

“Michael is a brother,” said Bessler, who served more than half of his 20-year military career in Special Operations, with an expertise in engineering and intelligence gathering. “He needs me just as much as I need him.”

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 17, 2015

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's important to stress the "barking from 5-10 feet away" thing. This is a combat trained dog, and if this dog (or any dog, really) had intended to harm it would've done what happened to the poster who posted earlier about a dog attacking them while on a bike. No warning, just an attack from the side aimed at taking you down.

A dog's barking is literally a warning shot.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hollismason posted:

No the dog had PTSD.

It's actually common apparently in Military dogs.

Guy basically shot a mentally ill animal that was barking at him from 10 feet away that should be pointed out as well. The man did not suffer any injuries at all.

This isn't the first time this guy was written about either.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-ptsd-struggle/

Also the guy who shot the dog probably knew who's dog it was.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-in-each-other/

Oh goddam so it ws the dog from this movie

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_(2015_film)

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Epic High Five posted:

It's important to stress the "barking from 5-10 feet away" thing. This is a combat trained dog, and if this dog (or any dog, really) had intended to harm it would've done what happened to the poster who posted earlier about a dog attacking them while on a bike. No warning, just an attack from the side aimed at taking you down.

A dog's barking is literally a warning shot.

Not all mil-dogs are attack dogs. Still don't shoot dogs for barking maybe. Of course cops will kill caged dogs. As will PETA!

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Hollismason posted:

Yeah it wasn't like trying to tear his leg off. Just to remind people the man was not treated afaik from reading the article for any injuries.

If George Zimmerman had more "injuries" than you did after a supposed dog attack, then yeah. The dog should not have been shot.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

edit: nah

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Internet Webguy posted:

The dog should not have been shot.

They always get away

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
That guy is probably going to end up killing himself. Hopefully not but it wouldn't surprise me considering how prevalent suicide is among PTSD and TMI people.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

You know the winter olympics sport where they cross country ski and then stop to shoot targets?

I want that, only they're on bicycles going down a curvy hill course and instead of stopping they have to shoot targets one handed on the way down.

Here's a proof of concept that used a motorcycle on a flat course (similar to downhill on a bicycle):

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Hollismason posted:

. Hopefully not but it wouldn't surprise me considering how prevalent suicide is among PTSD and TMI people.

You share your gross sex life you end up killing yourself.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!
A dog barking at you from 10 feet away is saying "hi," unless you really just want to shoot a dog.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Follow up to the story:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/10/17/veteran-asks-military-burial-combat-dog-shot-and-killed/74122170/

quote:

“If the guy was actually fending the dogs off with a bicycle, (Mike) would have really been barking, and there was no barking," Bessler said. "All there was was just a shot. The guests who were at the house, they said the same thing. There was no barking. It was just a gunshot.”

http://billingsgazette.com/news/local/retired-military-k-who-served-in-iraq-shot-killed-in/article_1ec0d928-fc7f-5565-9152-e174e388f38b.html

quote:

He shot Mike with what the man said was birdshot. The man had no injuries and shot Mike from 5 to 10 feet away in the dog's backside, according to the Powell Tribune's reporting on the police documents, which also noted the man "later admitted that while several dogs came near him, only Mike threatened him."

The Park County Sheriff's office did not respond to requests from The Billings Gazette for information on the incident. The Powell Tribune reported that they intend to "follow up on a few inconsistencies."

Feeling threatened

Complicating the threatening description of Mike is Bessler’s familiarity with Mike’s teeth, which had been damaged from chewing rocks as a result of his canine PTSD. “They looked like little nubs, like broken off twigs," Bessler said. "It was getting to the point where we were starting to get worried about having to get some teeth pulled because of that.”

According to Bessler, the pack of dogs the man encountered consisted of Mike, a Yorkshire terrier, a 10-week-old pitbull and a 2-year old pitbull-Lab mix.

Bessler said a neighbor had her window open and didn't hear barking before the gunshot. "If Mike were to go toward somebody or feel there was a threat, he would start barking first,” Bessler said, adding that the 2-year-old pitbull-Lab mix had been known to chase some people, but that “that just wasn’t the persona of my dog.

Yes, the Yorkshire Terrier and 10 week old dog vicious attack animals.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 17, 2015

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Is this where we get edgy jokes about a veteran complaining about ROE and escalation of force?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

mlmp08 posted:

Is this where we get edgy jokes about a veteran complaining about ROE and escalation of force?

There's nothing funny about dogs getting shot.

People, sure. But not dogs.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Seriously, a yorkshire terrier and a 10 week old puppy.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 17, 2015

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Scary dogs should be in this picture considering how often they are shot by terrified gun owners or police.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

My state is just so great sometimes

quote:

1. After conducting a traffic stop at which Indiana State Police Trooper Brian Hamilton presented Ms. Bogan with a warning ticket, Trooper Hamilton prolonged the stop by asking Ms. Bogan, among other things, if she had accepted Jesus Christ as her savior and then presented her with a pamphlet from the First Baptist Church in Cambridge that informed the reader that he or she is a sinner; listed God’s Plan of Salvation, noting that the person must realize that “the Lord Jesus Christ paid the penalty for your sins; and, advertised a radio broadcast entitled “Policing for Jesus Ministries.”

The pamphlet can be viewed here

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
If all cops were priests then they could administer last rites after they shoot someone. So really they would just sending everyone to heaven.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Mo_Steel posted:

You know the winter olympics sport where they cross country ski and then stop to shoot targets?

I want that, only they're on bicycles going down a curvy hill course and instead of stopping they have to shoot targets one handed on the way down.

Here's a proof of concept that used a motorcycle on a flat course (similar to downhill on a bicycle):

Is reloading like that possible? Because it is extremely cool.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Is reloading like that possible? Because it is extremely cool.

Yes. But only if you are literally as strong as a terminator, otherwise you will just straight up break your hand from the force required.

Edit: Or if you modify the gun the way they did, which took about a month and a half.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 17, 2015

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Yes, the Yorkshire Terrier and 10 week old dog vicious attack animals.

People, if you don't understand, Google image search a Yorkie.

This could be your final warning. The Yorkshire hungers.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Hawaii Governor uses State of Emergency to help the homeless. Too bad they broke up an encampment before setting up new shelters.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Does Hawaii still do the whole we'll give you a plane ticket to mainland program? Or was that just like a urban myth?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Hawaii Governor uses State of Emergency to help the homeless. Too bad they broke up an encampment before setting up new shelters.

I lived there for three years. They would break up camps every month or so all over. Ala Moana Park was always covered in tarps and tents until an event would come up, and they'd get cleared out. A few weeks later everything would be back in place.

Hollismason posted:

Does Hawaii still do the whole we'll give you a plane ticket to mainland program? Or was that just like a urban myth?

I knew someone with some drug and legal issues that was given a plane ticket home.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
What exactly is the cause behind such amount of Homelessness? Is it just a lack of subsidized housing? Mentally ill persons? Etc..?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!

Hollismason posted:

What exactly is the cause behind such amount of Homelessness? Is it just a lack of subsidized housing? Mentally ill persons? Etc..?

Basically, throwing the mentally ill onto the streets was the first move of neoliberalism.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Hollismason posted:

I had only heard the opposite, that homeless people on the mainland are given plane tickets to Hawaii and that's one reason it has the highest per capita homeless population in the US. I mean, that along with the ridiculous cost of living and a population of native Hawaiians who had their country literally stolen from them.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Hodgepodge posted:

Basically, throwing the mentally ill onto the streets was the first move of neoliberalism.

No, Hawaii's homeless problem stems from a lot people moving there on a wing and a prayer, getting crushed by the high cost of living, and not having a way to get off the island. A good portion are mentally ill, but not any more than the other 49 states. There's a bunch of people who end up "professionally homeless" because they come over thinking they can live a bohemian lifestyle and end up with no money to leave. A similar issue happens with veterans. Hawaii has a large military population and some people leave the military, can't get a real job, and end up homeless and unable to afford to go anywhere else.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I had only heard the opposite, that homeless people on the mainland are given plane tickets to Hawaii and that's one reason it has the highest per capita homeless population in the US. I mean, that along with the ridiculous cost of living and a population of native Hawaiians who had their country literally stolen from them.

There aren't really any native hawaiians anymore. Less than 7% of the state's population is actual native. They make up 20% of the state's homeless, though.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah I mean they said there was like 7000 homeless people that's a lot but not a unmanageable number of people.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Larry Lessig wants you to know that he's decided to be a bit more realistic about his run for the presidency. He is no longer campaigning on resigning after passing his agenda.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Hollismason posted:

If all cops were priests then they could administer last rites after they shoot someone. So really they would just sending everyone to heaven.

Why would they want to fill heaven with criminals?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mr. Nice! posted:

There aren't really any native hawaiians anymore. Less than 7% of the state's population is actual native. They make up 20% of the state's homeless, though.
I don't understand this post. There "aren't really any native Hawaiians anymore" because they're a disadvantaged minority? Are there also not really any black people in America anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This just reminded me about one of Hawaii's politicians going around with a sledgehammer smashing the homeless' shopping carts a few years ago. While looking to see if I remembered it correctly, I found out he got beaten up by some homeless people this year.

• Locked thread