Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Notedly sexist term "bottom-feeder." Instead of saying gently caress off why don't you just admit that you can't stand people who don't like the things that you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Cliff Racer posted:

Notedly sexist term "bottom-feeder." Instead of saying gently caress off why don't you just admit that you can't stand people who don't like the things that you like.

Nice custom title.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I much preferred the sweatshop worker myself, drat thing makes people think I'm pro-Israel.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Remember when you posted a gelbooru link to alf groping an underage girl lmao

Forums Terrorist fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 17, 2015

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Cliff Racer posted:

:confused: Who said anything about sexism?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Party Boat posted:

:confused: Who said anything about sexism?

I assumed that that was what the complaint was about since the other word mentioned was she-devil. If his complaint had nothing to do with that and Zohar has a problem with a politician being called a bottom feeder then that only makes it worse.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
So you missed out the sexist bit to quote the non sexist but still insulting bit to complain about people getting offended at sexism that isn't there?

Okay.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

"Bottom feeder" as an insult tends to mean someone's a leech or parasite, I'd say it's more about the tedious narrative that England pays for Scotland.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

As a cartoon, it is pretty much "pee-pee doo doo a person I don't like" as with most of Brookes' animal gags, so I'm pretty happy to also call it bad. I mean there's a joke in the center re: corbyn there which would have been an okay cartoon on its own, but then he decided to go and Riddell all over the place with DO YOU GET IT SHE'S A STURGEON ALSO I HATE HER

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Gonzo McFee posted:

So you missed out the sexist bit to quote the non sexist but still insulting bit to complain about people getting offended at sexism that isn't there?

Okay.
I assumed that he was taking both to be sexist. I didn't mention the other part, which is easily viewable as sexism, (though I suppose its only sexist in that it points out that she is in fact a she,) because I didn't think there was anything worth commenting on in his reaction to it.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Cliff Racer posted:

I assumed that he was taking both to be sexist. I didn't mention the other part, which is easily viewable as sexism, (though I suppose its only sexist in that it points out that she is in fact a she,) because I didn't think there was anything worth commenting on in his reaction to it.
Seems like you didn't think your post through.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

R. Mute posted:

Seems like you didn't think your post through.

True, but on the other hand

Cliff Racer posted:

If his complaint had nothing to do with that and Zohar has a problem with a politician being called a bottom feeder then that only makes it worse.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Cliff Racer posted:

True, but on the other hand

Your argument is so dumb it's hard to see why you're putting this much effort in to it.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
The sturgeon cartoon is dire and anyone defending it is dumb.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Thank you for your opinion.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

the sturgeon cartoon is a witty and insightful commentary on the snp imo

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"David Cameron – look behind you - Chris Riddell on the prime minister’s future negotiations on Britain’s place in the European Union"

Sunday Telegraph:

Independent on Sunday:

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Cloud Potato posted:

Independent on Sunday:

You use a panda and a dragon to represent China and you still have to loving label it? Meanwhile your crappy rendering of Osborne relies on bumnose to pass muster. Ugh.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Forums Terrorist posted:

the sturgeon cartoon is a witty and insightful commentary on the snp imo

Also her name is Sturgeon and he draws her as a fish. Just like he did with Salmon(d). Gets me every time.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the Chinese leader's UK state visit – China’s ambassador to the UK has insisted his country does not shy away from discussing human rights, on the eve of a state visit by President Xi Jinping"

Telegraph:

Blair Bush memo on Iraq emerges

Times:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Boris Johnson and tax credits cuts – Tory MP and Labour [sic] mayor expresses fears that policy will ‘bear down on the working poor’ ahead of Commons vote"

Independent:

Chinese President Xi Jinping arrives in UK

Times:

Mail:
Mac on... The Chinese president's state visit to Britain

:dogbutton:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I like Mac's cartoon but don't get what the puddle is. Did one of the queen's dogs pee on the guy's leg or did he pee on his own leg?

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Cliff Racer posted:

Sorry I didn't reply to this at the time but I said literally gently caress all about sexism, not sure why you assumed my post was about that though sexism is definitely one problem with "she-devil". My problem was that the cartoon comes off as haughty and condescending, and it's from the same cartoonist who did that terrible and equally lovely one calling salmond an "upstart" or whatever

Cloud Potato posted:

Mail:
Mac on... The Chinese president's state visit to Britain

:dogbutton:

Speaking of terrible cartoons

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Tbf "Prince Philip is a racist" isn't the WORST thing I've ever seen Mac do...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, if it was any cartoonist other than Mac (or Paul Thomas) and maybe the sign was a little less overt, like 'don't mention the eyes' I don't think anyone would be calling them out over it. Prince Philip is the type to need to be reminded not to call people racial epithets in polite company.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I don't think most people would have got the joke if it was just "don't mention the eyes."

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It was a gag on an old spitting image when the Queen and Prince were visiting China. It's something he said in an interview at some point.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think most people could put together "slurs about East Asians" and "Philip is a huge racist" without necessarily putting it explicitly in the cue, and all of Mac's readers would have been old enough to remember the original controversy. Although most of them are probably old and white enough to not think the original controversy was that big a deal.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
I know what it's referring to but I dunno, to me it comes off as an excuse for Mac to say slitty eyes. Might be overreacting but I also think people have a tendency to be more tolerant of casual racism towards east Asians in general :shrug:

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

The facial expressions in this are priceless. Cameron just looks like an absolute dopey idiot.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Mac definitely got a lot more specific than he needed to. Hell, Liz giving him a stern look would have got the joke across, especially to the Mail's royal-obsessed readership.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
You need a label somewhere.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Zohar posted:

I know what it's referring to but I dunno, to me it comes off as an excuse for Mac to say slitty eyes. Might be overreacting but I also think people have a tendency to be more tolerant of casual racism towards east Asians in general :shrug:

You're probably right and I'm sure Mac thinks Philip's racism is HILARIOUS and just a bit of banter, which makes it a bad cartoon, but at least east Asians themselves aren't the punchline entirely, which is maybe progress?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Coohoolin posted:

You're probably right and I'm sure Mac thinks Philip's racism is HILARIOUS and just a bit of banter, which makes it a bad cartoon, but at least east Asians themselves aren't the punchline entirely, which is maybe progress?

I wouldn't confuse random variation with a trend.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Coohoolin posted:

Where do you get the idea that it's all just banter for Mac? The cartoon is very straight-forward and it's basically 'har-har, Philip is racist'. Mac may not be the most progressive cartoonist out there or have the most insightful political opinions, but there's no need to interpret his every cartoon as a testament to his backwardness.

E: I hate fun.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Yeah it's just a cartoon about Phillip's famous casual racism. It's not the most insightful thing in the world but it's not exactly complicated.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Of course it's not complicated, it's Mac with a bit of casual racism, and the joke is 'ha ha imagine if he said this racist thing I've written here!'

It would have been funnier if it was just the queen making that face, but nope gotta have WE'RE NOT ALLOWED TO SAY THIS thrown in there as a nod and a wink to the Mail viewers

That's not even getting into the 'chinaman' caricature but I guess it's better than it could have been

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

baka kaba posted:

That's not even getting into the 'chinaman' caricature but I guess it's better than it could have been
Here's one in the background.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

baka kaba posted:

Of course it's not complicated, it's Mac with a bit of casual racism, and the joke is 'ha ha imagine if he said this racist thing I've written here!'

It would have been funnier if it was just the queen making that face, but nope gotta have WE'RE NOT ALLOWED TO SAY THIS thrown in there as a nod and a wink to the Mail viewers

He's already said that exact racist thing. There are no winks to anyone.
Don't know what's wrong with the 'chinaman' in this one. Please, don't say slitty eyes. I don't know who other people are, but Xi Jinping and his wife are bang on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

What always gets me in that cartoon is what a badass professional that nurse is :tutbutt:

• Locked thread