Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Except for the fact they always reference you physically switching bodies whenever you change your warframe. They also referred to the infested mesa as being an empty shell filled up with the infestation, not an actual tenno.

I acknowledged the latter, yes. I have no idea where you're getting the former from, though.

Edit: Or, wait, are you responding to me or the other person? I'm not actually sure; "switching bodies" sounds like support of the "ghosts" thing, but "physically" doesn't make sense for that but does for the frames just being suits.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Me and buddy started this game, but after completing respective tutorials we were not given tutorial warframes, instead we got our old ones from years a go which we've invested almost no time in, but which still are differently ranked etcetera. Is there a way to get our tutorial warframes, or we just have to get new accounts here?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
You'd have to get new accounts. But honestly, there's not much reason not to stick with your old account unless you absolutely can't stand using whatever old frame for as long as it takes you to farm up whatever you were using in the tutorial.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Roland Jones posted:

I acknowledged the latter, yes. I have no idea where you're getting the former from, though.

Edit: Or, wait, are you responding to me or the other person? I'm not actually sure; "switching bodies" sounds like support of the "ghosts" thing, but "physically" doesn't make sense for that but does for the frames just being suits.

Well, ordis says your choice of warframe 'suits you ha ha' and in the recent bunch of warframe-getting quests they talk about you having a new warframe at your disposal, rather than like a new member joining the team.

I mean I guess it doesn't mean ghosts, but it does mean one operator and many frames.

Plus the Alad V zanuka stuff is much earlier lore stuff, where they used tenno and warframe more interchangeably than they do now.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Well, ordis says your choice of warframe 'suits you ha ha' and in the recent bunch of warframe-getting quests they talk about you having a new warframe at your disposal, rather than like a new member joining the team.

I mean I guess it doesn't mean ghosts, but it does mean one operator and many frames.

Plus the Alad V zanuka stuff is much earlier lore stuff, where they used tenno and warframe more interchangeably than they do now.

Oh, I do think that we can swap our suits out, rather than us having a bunch of Tenno as a team or something. That's my point, that the warframes are suits/armor rather than independent organisms you control, I'm just saying that lore-wise a lot of the "original" Tenno the frames were for seemed to have actual powers even outside of their suits, going by the codex entries for some of the Prime frames. Which, while being another point against the ghost theory, kind of muddles other things, but I'm not arguing that DE is good at writing.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hooah posted:

You'd have to get new accounts. But honestly, there's not much reason not to stick with your old account unless you absolutely can't stand using whatever old frame for as long as it takes you to farm up whatever you were using in the tutorial.
Ugh, that sucks. I don't really want to play my current warframe, but the main issue is that I have one rank 3 warframe and no loving idea what is happening in the game at all, while my buddy has rank 22 warframe even if he does not remember much, so we figured out that playing together like that may not work out well. Not much to do here, unfortunately, so we've just opened new accounts.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Coldbird posted:

New cell phone app intended for iOS launch this month. This is the one you can run your foundry from. No word on Android.

For gently caress's sake. I'd really like an app that's been updated in the last year:

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

kalstrams posted:

Ugh, that sucks. I don't really want to play my current warframe, but the main issue is that I have one rank 3 warframe and no loving idea what is happening in the game at all, while my buddy has rank 22 warframe even if he does not remember much, so we figured out that playing together like that may not work out well. Not much to do here, unfortunately, so we've just opened new accounts.

It literally doesn't matter just play the game together and with goons. 75% of the game is grinding up new things from zero.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

Roland Jones posted:

Oh, I do think that we can swap our suits out, rather than us having a bunch of Tenno as a team or something. That's my point, that the warframes are suits/armor rather than independent organisms you control, I'm just saying that lore-wise a lot of the "original" Tenno the frames were for seemed to have actual powers even outside of their suits, going by the codex entries for some of the Prime frames. Which, while being another point against the ghost theory, kind of muddles other things, but I'm not arguing that DE is good at writing.

The Zariman kids don't have to be unchanged for ghost theory to be true. Neither do Warframes need to be remote controlled from a space moon, nor do they need to not exhibit inherent powers, nor must Warframe powers be set in stone. Also Zanuka is from before they decided to finally split Warframes and Tenno in order to make constant frame swapping make sense in-universe. They'd been talking about it off and on for a while on the stream. I'm pretty sure I criticized it in one of the earlier threads even, because it would just create the lore problems we're having right now.

edit:

kalstrams posted:

Levels in Warframe do not work like levels in other games. You will have the entire collection of Warframes eventually, and a massive arsenal of weapons. You can hit lv22 in 20 minutes or less with goons, easily. It actually takes way more time to do all the newbie quests to get your Liset running than it does to max out your weapons and frames with goon support.

Denzine fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 17, 2015

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Pretty sure that fundamentally it doesn't really matter wtf DE explains as the theory because it comes down to "make cool looking space ninja robots that you can screw up in and keep playing." It's about as fruitful to discuss how Mario can get more lives and why he can keep trying to save the princess in multiple universes where each life means he is actually dead in another universe and he is able to go jump to another universe where he's alive.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

necrobobsledder posted:

Pretty sure that fundamentally it doesn't really matter wtf DE explains as the theory because it comes down to "make cool looking space ninja robots that you can screw up in and keep playing." It's about as fruitful to discuss how Mario can get more lives and why he can keep trying to save the princess in multiple universes where each life means he is actually dead in another universe and he is able to go jump to another universe where he's alive.

That's basically why I liked the interpretation that each warframe was a singular individual, switching between them and multiple copies appearing in-mission being gaming abstractions. It lets you keep a "mountains in the distance" feel where the implied universe has hundreds or thousands of tenno, each as powerful and unique as any of the playable warframes, while kicking aside questions of lore to focus on gameplay.

But that wasn't the direction DE wanted to take it so instead we get this weird, unsatisfying body-switching thing.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Re: levels. I see, so there is some sort of power levelling too. I generally like watching cutscenes for fluff in any games, and buddy doesn't mind waiting for me to do so, thus we still went with new characters just to have basic idea about what the gently caress is happening. Pretty cool so far, though I don't get experience distribution.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

kalstrams posted:

Re: levels. I see, so there is some sort of power levelling too. I generally like watching cutscenes for fluff in any games, and buddy doesn't mind waiting for me to do so, thus we still went with new characters just to have basic idea about what the gently caress is happening. Pretty cool so far, though I don't get experience distribution.

It's not even power levelling, it's just running a decent survival mission to the last reward table. Power levelling would be Draco, and you'd get your entire suit of weapons + frame to 30 in 4 waves(coincidentally also the last reward table and also around 20 minutes). Endless(defense, survival, excavation) mission reward tables go A/A/B/C, and then repeat that pattern forever or until you die or get bored and leave.

Experience works like this: If you kill a thing, all the XP it's worth goes to whatever you used to kill it. If you used a weapon, it all goes to the weapon. If you used a frame power, it all goes to your frame.
If an ALLY kills a thing, and you're within share range, then the XP is split up evenly between all equipped weapons plus your warframe. You can un-equip weapons to force more of the share XP to go to your other weapons and Warframe.

You never "lose" XP so long as you have non-maxed weapons and a warframe equipped.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Denzine posted:

It's not even power levelling, it's just running a decent survival mission to the last reward table. Power levelling would be Draco, and you'd get your entire suit of weapons + frame to 30 in 4 waves(coincidentally also the last reward table and also around 20 minutes). Endless(defense, survival, excavation) mission reward tables go A/A/B/C, and then repeat that pattern forever or until you die or get bored and leave.

Experience works like this: If you kill a thing, all the XP it's worth goes to whatever you used to kill it. If you used a weapon, it all goes to the weapon. If you used a frame power, it all goes to your frame.
If an ALLY kills a thing, and you're within share range, then the XP is split up evenly between all equipped weapons plus your warframe. You can un-equip weapons to force more of the share XP to go to your other weapons and Warframe.

You never "lose" XP so long as you have non-maxed weapons and a warframe equipped.

Also the XP share range does NOT apply in Interception missions, that and making GBS threads out lots of high-xp Eximus enemies, is why Draco is so good for powerleveling.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
Weapon kills only get half xp to the weapon--the other half is diverted to your frame.

And companions work by some weird fake sharing formula that basically doesn't matter. They don't reduce the XP you get to your equipped stuff, so don't worry about it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I'm confused about experience in party - my friend constantly gets almost twice more experience but there is no where near the disparity in how well are we doing.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

kalstrams posted:

I'm confused about experience in party - my friend constantly gets almost twice more experience but there is no where near the disparity in how well are we doing.

It's either 1) you're not in XP share range or 2) he has a booster.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Neo_Crimson posted:

It's either 1) you're not in XP share range or 2) he has a booster.
Tried running next to each other next mission, difference much more reasonable now.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
Join the clan Kalstrams!

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
What are those weird empty elevator rooms in the Void that don't actually do anything?

I'm in the Void now and I stumbled onto this weird room, I stepped onto a pad and then I heard a bunch of drums and now I'm in front of a wall that looks like there's three rooms behind it. Did I stumble onto a locked treasure room or something?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Roland Jones posted:

You can switch bodies without being ghosts. The Tenno have an organic component the only question is how much. The Excalibur Prime and Ember Prime entries strongly suggest that what makes the Tenno unique is a PHYSICAL affliction. Mutations wrought by exposure to the Void, that the Warframe permits them to channel. This is all fairly unambiguous from Excalibur Prime entry. In light of this, the most plausible explanation for the ability of Tenno to inhabit radically differently built Warframes is that the Tenno themself is little more than an augmented brain and a nervous system or whatever the bare minimum of organic matter necessary to preserve their unique Void wrought condition may be. They are cyborgs leaning on full androids.

Chaos341
Aug 13, 2010

Monolith. posted:

What are those weird empty elevator rooms in the Void that don't actually do anything?

I'm in the Void now and I stumbled onto this weird room, I stepped onto a pad and then I heard a bunch of drums and now I'm in front of a wall that looks like there's three rooms behind it. Did I stumble onto a locked treasure room or something?

Its a race to get to the rooms before they close.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Monolith. posted:

The elevator rooms are what they use for dead ends in that tileset. I don't know why they don't just have the door be red.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

Join the clan Kalstrams!
Yea, thinking to do so if I wont forget about the game after an evening or two. :tipshat:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Cicadalek posted:

The elevator rooms are what they use for dead ends in that tileset. I don't know why they don't just have the door be red.

They use red doors too. The ends of the void tiles are just sometimes elevators.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

The elevator rooms are spawn closets for the enemies. Also I'm a certified void explorer so if anyone want's to go look at void secrets and learn its mysteries hit me up in game.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Sandweed posted:

The elevator rooms are spawn closets for the enemies. Also I'm a certified void explorer so if anyone want's to go look at void secrets and learn its mysteries hit me up in game.

So who's the mysterious voice that sings "Don't make me stay heeeeeere" all the time in the Void?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Neo_Crimson posted:

So who's the mysterious voice that sings "Don't make me stay heeeeeere" all the time in the Void?
You remember when Alad tried to hide a bunch of Corpus scouts and navigators from us by sending their ships into the void?

Some of them may have evaded capture, but didn't make it back out of the void either.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It's actually latin. The translated lyrics are
"Brought to the golden home
Of the sleeping council
Peace"

Or to clean it up, "peace to those who enter the sleeping Council's golden home"

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

It's actually latin. The translated lyrics are
"Brought to the golden home
Of the sleeping council
Peace"

Or to clean it up, "peace to those who enter the sleeping Council's golden home"

I prefer the interpretation that it's "Don't make me stay here forever."

Because it basically describes the void in a nutshell.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

"Save yourself"

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Liberate tuteme ex profundis

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Neo_Crimson posted:

How have I never noticed this?

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Because the one singing it....was you :ghost:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cicadalek posted:

Because the one singing it....was you :ghost:
I don't even understand what is the topic but this sounds spooky. :ghost:

Is there anything I should be saving whatever credits I earn for?
Are there circumstances other than boredom and level cap when it comes to getting new weapon/warframe?
Is it much of a chore to get enough platinum from trade system to buy some colour packs?

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors

Captain Oblivious posted:

You can switch bodies without being ghosts. The Tenno have an organic component the only question is how much. The Excalibur Prime and Ember Prime entries strongly suggest that what makes the Tenno unique is a PHYSICAL affliction. Mutations wrought by exposure to the Void, that the Warframe permits them to channel. This is all fairly unambiguous from Excalibur Prime entry. In light of this, the most plausible explanation for the ability of Tenno to inhabit radically differently built Warframes is that the Tenno themself is little more than an augmented brain and a nervous system or whatever the bare minimum of organic matter necessary to preserve their unique Void wrought condition may be. They are cyborgs leaning on full androids.

So basically, by trying on different suits and, say, increasing the tenno's affinity for the frames abilities, tenno increase their, idunno, mastery? And the canonical warframes like limbo, excalP, emberP and so on, are just tenno that prefer that one frame, like how my tenno prefers loki and mirage? :v:

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Credits are for spending--but the Void Trader wants you to spend a lot, so if you want his fancy stuff, you'll want to keep a number of hundred thousand credits around for when he stops by.
Get new stuff when it looks cool and fun. Also remember that leveling new stuff gets you Mastery rank, which lets you get mastery-locked weapons and accumulate more syndicate reputation per day.
Trading is a chore, but https://warframe.market/ can make it a little easier.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
You thought it was a coincidence that Saryn looks so much like Excal? Sometimes he just wants to stuff his chestpiece and look pretty ;-*

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Takkaryx posted:

So basically, by trying on different suits and, say, increasing the tenno's affinity for the frames abilities, tenno increase their, idunno, mastery? And the canonical warframes like limbo, excalP, emberP and so on, are just tenno that prefer that one frame, like how my tenno prefers loki and mirage? :v:

Well sort of. Remember that Warframes and Tenno are two different things. There was an "original" Excalibur in so far as there was a Tenno who was put in the first Excalibur, Excalibur Prime, during the Old War but we only call him Excalibur because we don't know his name. The Warframe and the Tenno are two different things. Who knows maybe the inventer of the Limbo Warframe spent most of his time in a loving Rhino before he did magic science.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

You thought it was a coincidence that Saryn looks so much like Excal? Sometimes he just wants to stuff his chestpiece and look pretty ;-*

Yeah gender/sex doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot when you've gone this far down the transhumanism hole. :v:

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

kalstrams posted:

I don't even understand what is the topic but this sounds spooky. :ghost:

The Orokin Void levels have music with Latin lyrics that sound suspiciously like "Don't make me stay heeeeere", which is how I feel after 20 minutes of Void Survival.

quote:

Is there anything I should be saving whatever credits I earn for?
Are there circumstances other than boredom and level cap when it comes to getting new weapon/warframe?
Is it much of a chore to get enough platinum from trade system to buy some colour packs?

1. Everything.

2. Build everything whatever strikes your fancy, it's the purpose of the game.

3. Trading is a clusterfuck, but the alternative is spending real money for platinum, so it's up to you if you think that's worth it.