Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

ElCondemn posted:

Random babby is the darkness.

It's actually the Beastmaster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

az posted:

So, why did random babby have the mark? Did it become contagious this season.

That's the babby version of the grown up Dean is interacting with. Time travel twist, duh.

Season 11, moving on...

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

rejutka posted:

That's the babby version of the grown up Dean is interacting with. Time travel twist, duh.

Season 11, moving on...

Great. More fuel for the SuperWhoLock fire.

I don't hate this season. Crowley being SuperCrowley was nice. I hope Sam falls to the Darkness and tries to eat Dean's brains when he gets there.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Calling it now: The Darkness is actually God's ex-wife. She can be terrible sometimes but all the stories aren't nearly as cut and dry from her perspective.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I thought the name was cool though. Amara means immortal or eternal.

Also means bitter in Sanskrit but I'm hedging my bets on the immortal bit. She might be a bit bitter over the 4 billion year jail term though.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Kin posted:

Seasons 1-5 were written with a complete story in mind. Then the network constantly renewed the show with no overarching plan and the original writer left (i think).

This is what happens when a network does this sort of thing instead of letting a popular show end on its originally intended high.

Basically, you're at the point where i am where you should probably cut your losses with the show and go buy the season 1-5 Blu Ray while pretending season 6 onwards simply doesn't exist.

This. Someone was once trying to explain to me how the show has gotten so much better because Eric Kripke was a misogynist or something? But that's absurd and dumb. The first five seasons were, even as far as campy CW shows go, incredibly well done. In the spirit of older shows like X-Files and Buffy, it maintained the monster-of-the-week format while still remaining on point and having a cohesive story overall. The questions you ask in the first few seasons are tied together in seasons 4 and 5. That's where Supernatural really ended for me. At this point I only watch because I'm marginally interested in what is going to happen and because Crowley owns.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Have they actually gotten better about misogyny? Every I've heard seems to suggest they've gotten worse. I mean, that whole demonic Amazons thing was in season 7. And then the Charlie thing.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Blazing Ownager posted:

I can't really feel too bad about killing some creatures that they know will die anyway, no matter what.

Now you're on the road to evil, because that's everyone. 5 hours or 50 years, everyone is going to die no matter what. Might as well start slaughtering children, because at least most of them presumably get to go to the 'happiest memory forever' afterlife. Letting them live just risks them messing up and going to hell. You're basically a monster for not killing them.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

BrianWilly posted:

Have they actually gotten better about misogyny? Every I've heard seems to suggest they've gotten worse. I mean, that whole demonic Amazons thing was in season 7. And then the Charlie thing.

I think their approach to being less terrible is letting female characters live at the end. We've got two lady cops and like seven teenage girls now that are either monsters, ex-monsters, or have monster PTSD wandering around now. As I understand it, in earlier seasons Dean could have killed The Darkness simply by having romantic thoughts about her.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
The end of this season should be a sudden nuclear war and then the series ends forever.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Sudden mushroom cloud; radioactive winds flip the Impala; it lands on its top, Dean and Sam crumpled and bloody inside. Carry On My Wayward Son begins to play as neither of them moves. Roll credits, series over.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Angela Christine posted:

Now you're on the road to evil, because that's everyone. 5 hours or 50 years, everyone is going to die no matter what. Might as well start slaughtering children, because at least most of them presumably get to go to the 'happiest memory forever' afterlife. Letting them live just risks them messing up and going to hell. You're basically a monster for not killing them.

I think there's a difference between ganking a zombie that has 2 hours left to live and doing the same thing to someone that could live another 70 years, and they do the latter all the loving time. My point is it's odd to start caring now, when it matters the least.

The stakes have never been lower!

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Supernatural Season 11 - Little girl, want some candy?

Crowley is still the best part of this show.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

This was a pretty good episode, but of course a female sidekick needs to die.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
That's was one of the best episodes in years. Hopefully they're really trying to do something unique this season because this episode was nothing like anything they've done in the past 11 years.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

pentyne posted:

That's was one of the best episodes in years. Hopefully they're really trying to do something unique this season because this episode was nothing like anything they've done in the past 11 years.

I skipped most of last season and by complete chance decided to give last night's episode a chance. I guess it was a good choice.

fake edit: Well, that's not entirely true. I saw the promo for the episode and was curious how last season's plot resolved, and also saw Crowley and that was good. The episode started and the "last time on Supernatural" wrap-up had a bunch of poo poo that was at least interesting enough to keep watching, so I decided to keep watching at least until the first commercial break, and it wasn't bad, so I kept watching until it turned lovely and it never did.

Not happy to see that Crowley's mom is still around, though. Never quite warmed to her, at least not in that Svengali role.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Ha, they completely resolved all the SECRETS.

Good stuff. I was sure that Sam's visions would push him towards Lucifer and hell in some way instead of what we got.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I'm very happy it resolved itself with basic hunterbabble found via Internet research instead of a declarative statement of protection on Sam.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It was surprising to have THE LORE actually be something kinda vaguely realistic.

Still, was surprised the deputy bought it that fast. I thought she'd be around for a while.

Thinking the whole DARKNESS VISION thing is a great lead in to the idea of opening up the cage.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

pentyne posted:

Yep. They flipped a lot of things I didn't like about the premiere. If they can keep this trend going, this could actually be a good season.

Associating with the Winchesters will sucks though; get your grandma killed and soul eaten in under 24 hours.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Associating with the Winchesters will sucks though; get your grandma killed and soul eaten in under 24 hours.

At this point, the only proper way to end this show is to have a plot where every living character (maybe non-living too), good and bad, teams up to destroy Cass and the Winchesters for revenge / before they completely destroy the world, because boy have they done far more harm than good at this point.

The Winchesters will come out on top somehow, of course, and the end result will be far worse than if they had just played ball in season 5 and let the whole apocalypse thing run its course.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Blazing Ownager posted:

Yep. They flipped a lot of things I didn't like about the premiere. If they can keep this trend going, this could actually be a good season.

Yeah, they're making a real effort resetting things, what with the Winchester permadeath, Crowley maybe being totally bad again, etc.

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011
I'm still bummed that Death is actually dead. This makes no sense.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
I'm watching the newest episode and an angel says he wanted a vessel without psoriasis. Did he forget he could just cure it with his angel powers?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
holy poo poo I watched four seasons of this show ages ago but it fell off the rails and kept one-upping itself with two dudes pulling one over on angels and demons at whim, breaking magic contracts and poo poo. Now I find out it's been going on for another seven seasons. How far down the hole could it possibly be?

"'Cat's cradle' Vonnegut or 'slaughterhouse five' Vonnegut?" :laugh:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

coyo7e posted:

holy poo poo I watched four seasons of this show ages ago but it fell off the rails and kept one-upping itself with two dudes pulling one over on angels and demons at whim, breaking magic contracts and poo poo. Now I find out it's been going on for another seven seasons. How far down the hole could it possibly be?

"'Cat's cradle' Vonnegut or 'slaughterhouse five' Vonnegut?" :laugh:

It's seesawed pretty hard since then. Season 5 was loving amazing. 6 was dogshit, and the consensus has been that 7-10 were on a whole decent but not great with some awful, awful loving parts (Sam and Dean constantly lying to each other and pulling the "we're family!" line). The Leviathans were a cool concept burned off in one season and as a whole the show has seemed like its been too worried about renewal to try any major multi-season arcs.

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.
When it's good it's still fantastic - Fan Fiction, the boy and his golem, every episode Cain was in. There's just enough episodes as good as this week's that I've never quite pulled the trigger on stopping watching.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A really big part of me liking the show is the behind the scenes stuff. Con appearances where they talk about filming, pranking Misha, the time Misha pissed all over himself on an airplane, the time he made a dude faint by farting in front of him on another airplane, the time he completely failed to throw a paper airplane, the time Richard Speight slept through Misha pissing all over himself on a flight, the time the studio had to send people to get Jared and Jensen to quit loving with Misha during his directorial debut and ended up laughing off everything while he got pranked mercilessly, the time the cameraman even got into it and unzipped his pants WHILE STILL WORKING THE CAMERA solely for the purpose of loving with Misha during a scene...

Hell, even the stuff like the story behind Jared stopping ALL THE TRAINS when he left a bag at the station, or when him and Osric were wrestling and he dislocated his shoulder.

I love the show, even with all its flaws, but the stories that come out of the set show how much incredible fun these guys have and that plays a lot into making me like the show. It's rare to find a cast that gets along as well as these guys do, but more importantly it's really rare to have a cast that goes out of their way to gently caress with each other as much as these guys do.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Hell, even the stuff like the story behind Jared stopping ALL THE TRAINS when he left a bag at the station, or when him and Osric were wrestling and he dislocated his shoulder.

Wait are these actually true? Is that why he was in that sling?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

A really big part of me liking the show is the behind the scenes stuff. Con appearances where they talk about filming, pranking Misha, the time Misha pissed all over himself on an airplane, the time he made a dude faint by farting in front of him on another airplane, the time he completely failed to throw a paper airplane, the time Richard Speight slept through Misha pissing all over himself on a flight, the time the studio had to send people to get Jared and Jensen to quit loving with Misha during his directorial debut and ended up laughing off everything while he got pranked mercilessly, the time the cameraman even got into it and unzipped his pants WHILE STILL WORKING THE CAMERA solely for the purpose of loving with Misha during a scene...

All of this makes me wish they had actually developed Castiel into the give-no-fucks hippie. That version was awesome and the actor had a great time with it, it's a shame they pretty much stuck him in neutral for so long.

pentyne posted:

It's seesawed pretty hard since then. Season 5 was loving amazing. 6 was dogshit, and the consensus has been that 7-10 were on a whole decent but not great with some awful, awful loving parts (Sam and Dean constantly lying to each other and pulling the "we're family!" line). The Leviathans were a cool concept burned off in one season and as a whole the show has seemed like its been too worried about renewal to try any major multi-season arcs.

There is no consensus about 8, it was loaded with loving dumb things like "Oh we promised to not bring each other back so I left you to rot and got a girlfriend!" when Dean wasn't loving dead and he knew exactly where he went. Then Season 9 was a complete clusterfuck. The entire season was building towards completing a trial and these magic tablets; every other scene "KEEP WORKING ON THE TABLETS, SLAVE BOY."

Then right before solving everything Sam decides to utterly abort, and not because it wasn't going to work or he found out some dark secret behind it. The dude had the chance to do a major thing, and instead, he just hosed everyone over because he got cold feet. (Think about that every time Crowley or a demon kills someone.)

Then they pick up with the angel fall thing and ... proceeds to dick it all up. Tablet kid bites the dust with zero ceremony, having slaved for hours until his own health had him bleeding from expired hot dogs, and they basically just dumped all his work in the trash, made a big deal about caring about his death, and couldn't even honor Bobby's last request.

Speaking of which they also got Bobby to gently caress himself over and be.. uhh, arrested in heaven? And they left him there. The Winchesters are massive assholes and the show doesn't seem to realize it.

ED: By the way if you're saying they didn't seal the gates of hell because, well duh, where are all the evil people going to go - nobody even THOUGHT to bring that up. No, Sam just decided the thing he'd been working for a year at the risk of dying, wasn't worth dying for. Then he proceeded to die anyway sort of. What a dumbass. Also I can't even call Heaven dicks for hating Castiel at this point. Dude has killed thousands of them personally, then broke out a war criminal who killed thousands more. Why is he always surprised they're not friendly? "I will never give you the two walking apocalypse-creators known as the Winchesters!" (Also, he works with the devil from time to time.)

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 16, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Blazing Ownager posted:

All of this makes me wish they had actually developed Castiel into the give-no-fucks hippie. That version was awesome and the actor had a great time with it, it's a shame they pretty much stuck him in neutral for so long.

If you use Facebook you should follow him on there. His posts are hilarious.

Blazing Ownager posted:

ED: By the way if you're saying they didn't seal the gates of hell because, well duh, where are all the evil people going to go - nobody even THOUGHT to bring that up. No, Sam just decided the thing he'd been working for a year at the risk of dying, wasn't worth dying for. Then he proceeded to die anyway sort of. What a dumbass. Also I can't even call Heaven dicks for hating Castiel at this point. Dude has killed thousands of them personally, then broke out a war criminal who killed thousands more. Why is he always surprised they're not friendly? "I will never give you the two walking apocalypse-creators known as the Winchesters!" (Also, he works with the devil from time to time.)

See my earlier post about how I hope this show ends. The Winchesters have been the bad guys for a long time and they don't seem to even realize it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Some Numbers posted:

Wait are these actually true? Is that why he was in that sling?

Yup. Wrasslin' in the green room and landed weird, popped his shoulder outta joint (a little bit). Popped it back in, went on about his day, was rolling his shoulder cause it felt tight and popped it all the way out like a god damned overachiever. Had to wear a brace for a few weeks.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

pentyne posted:

I am just finishing season 4 and forgot that Alastair is played by the same actor who was the Swede in Hell on Wheels, hamming up a terribad Brando impression. It's almost hard to watch because I'm laughing too hard.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Blazing Ownager posted:

(consensus about seasons)

What about ten? I trailed off part way through, should I bother going back and watching that? Or specific episodes?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

XboxPants posted:

What about ten? I trailed off part way through, should I bother going back and watching that? Or specific episodes?

Season 10:
10 "Oh no the mark is making you so dark"
20 * He proceeds to act less violent than he has in years *
30 GOTO 10

Best moment was the headshot near the end of the season because it was hilarious, but also cut the balls off their "new big threat" with a chainsaw.

ED: You also may miss the advertisements for Microsoft products, since all of hell loves Surface Tablets.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 16, 2015

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop
Can someone quickly remind me wtf is up with Castiel? Why is he hulking out? I've completely forgotten the second half of last season.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Pucklynn posted:

Can someone quickly remind me wtf is up with Castiel? Why is he hulking out? I've completely forgotten the second half of last season.

He got cursed by Rowena to gank Crowley, and it doesn't seem to have worn off yet.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So my girlfriend got me to go watch Crimson Peak with her the other day, and guess who pops up very early on? Jim Beaver (Bobby). It really stuck me that I've never really seen him in anything outside of the show, but drat if he's not instantly likable in the role. In fact, I can without any doubt at all say he's the best thing about the movie.

Of course.. (Crimson Peak spoiler):
..like Supernatural, it immediately goes downhill fast once he leaves.

I'd kill to see this guy in a western with Jeff Bridges or something. It's kind of a shame he's not in more stuff.

ED: And surprisingly yes, he out acts every other actor in the movie. I'd watched a whole movie about his character instead. Kind of wish I did.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 17, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Blazing Ownager posted:

So my girlfriend got me to go watch Crimson Peak with her the other day, and guess who pops up very early on? Jim Beaver (Bobby). It really stuck me that I've never really seen him in anything outside of the show, but drat if he's not instantly likable in the role. In fact, I can without any doubt at all say he's the best thing about the movie.

Watch Deadwood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Yeah, if you want to see Jim Beaver in a Western, or just want to see an incredible show, watch Deadwood.