Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

superjew posted:

Does it make more sense if you pretend Enterprise is the sequel to TOS?

I think it does.

This is my biggest criticism of Enterprise. If you ignore the story line and the technobabble and just focus on the attitudes and personalities of the characters, rightly or wrongly, they feel more mature and developed than campy TOS crew that basically does what they want.

They should have gone the other way, less moral philosophy more banging aliens and shooting aliens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

doodlebugs posted:

Captain Kirk had the Enterprise destroy an ancient civilizations "god" because gently caress the prime directive.

The Prime Directive stated "no identification of self or mission; no interference with the social development of said planet; no references to space, other worlds, or advanced civilizations." Said "god" was advanced technology that caused said social development to stagnate completely. As I said, Kirk only interfered when somebody else had done so previously.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Spock is a Cock!

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

eSports Chaebol posted:

im p sure the word "countermove" appears in at least one of the sex scenes of chapterhouse dune

That series loving tanked after the Jedi-Only-More-Bland became the main characters in the last couple Frank-written books. Everyone says his son's books suck, but that ship was already sinking so who gives a poo poo?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/3p0kwy/i_am_michael_dorn_worf_from_star_trek_the_next/

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Cool t-shirt, if it didn't have the hashtag bullshit on it.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

vulvamancer posted:

He can't say a contraction, so until he can pull that off I'm not sure this theory holds water.

Wait. What if the contraction thing is a troll too? I'm beginning to question my whole worldview on Data now.

Data used contractions all the time when it wasn't a plot point. He was definitely just loving with the dumb normies.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

He said season. It could work per-season.

every season takes place 100 years after the previous season, with the season finale being a history changing event in Federation history.

the first season is Earth in the 2060s, the post nuclear terror world, the final episode being about the unification of Earth into one government. the second season takes place in 2120's on the new mars colony. warp ships have made the solar system a smaller place, but traveling between stars is still beyond the reach of humanity. this season would be kind of like Firefly i suppose, with the season final being about a Sol Federation plot to steal a Vulcan warp 5 shuttlecraft. third season would take place in the 2240's on board the USS Enterprise, under captain Robert April, it would be basically just normal star trek and would end with Kirk becoming the new captain. fourth season takes place in the 2370's on board the USS Equinox, trapped in the Delta Quadrant. this season would be Voyager, but good. the fifth, sixth, and sevenths season can be about future time travel stuff, i donno like doctor who i guess :shrug:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
actually a better idea:

season 1: Post nuclear earth
season 2: Mars Colony
season 3: Romulan wars
season 4: Aftermath of the Dominion wars & colonization of the gamma/delta quadrant with slipstream ships. The post-DS9 we all really want.
season 5: Collapse of the Galactic Federation, maybe with the Borg assimilating 99% of the galaxy, Andromeda but good
season 6: Reunification of the Galactic Federation
season 7: Time Travel dr who poo poo

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Ambrose Burnside posted:

sometimes i think that a lot of the criticisms and critiques i read into, say, ds9 are jsut me mapping my own idiot brain onto the show, but then i remember, no, the critiques are mos def coming from inside the house

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy5jAixHhSA

the maquis are the far-right radical assholes of the federation.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
So, before Sisko took over DS9, he was in charge of building ships in orbit over Mars, right? How is that not the best idea for a show?

Get Donald Glover to play Young Sisko back before he calmed down and found religion, screaming at an office full of nerds about how he wants his ship built. His archenemy could be a Bolian safety inspector and a Vulcan human resources clerk

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Tighclops posted:

Nobody in a position to make a Star Trek series would have the balls or the awareness to make a show bold enough to break new ground or at the very least, piss off the right assholes in the world

Everybody who isn't a pampered little poo poo knows the future we're heading into is a dystopian nightmare owned by soulless multinationals controlled by untouchable oligarchs that eventually enforce their will with unstoppable killer drone armies and relentless propaganda, Star Trek's optimism is hopelessly naive in the face of that and while it might be argued that we need optimism more than ever, at this point I'm more inclined to agree it's time is past and that we now need topical sci fi that is willing to tackle the issues facing us more directly than conventional space opera is typically able to

I've said it before: we are living in the Mirror Universe. Long live the Terran Empire!

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Rutibex posted:

every season takes place 100 years after the previous season, with the season finale being a history changing event in Federation history.

the first season is Earth in the 2060s, the post nuclear terror world, the final episode being about the unification of Earth into one government. the second season takes place in 2120's on the new mars colony. warp ships have made the solar system a smaller place, but traveling between stars is still beyond the reach of humanity. this season would be kind of like Firefly i suppose, with the season final being about a Sol Federation plot to steal a Vulcan warp 5 shuttlecraft. third season would take place in the 2240's on board the USS Enterprise, under captain Robert April, it would be basically just normal star trek and would end with Kirk becoming the new captain. fourth season takes place in the 2370's on board the USS Equinox, trapped in the Delta Quadrant. this season would be Voyager, but good. the fifth, sixth, and sevenths season can be about future time travel stuff, i donno like doctor who i guess :shrug:

Star Trek: A Canticle for Leibowitz

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

That episode with Dukat and Kira pallin' around looking for that Bajoran guy/Dukats daughter is so loving bizzare.

It would be like a Dachau escapee pulling something out of Hitler rear end and then laughing her rear end off with him around a campfire.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Trevor Hale posted:

Star Trek: A Canticle for Leibowitz

That's part of the future of Babylon 5. Earth gets hosed up and all of the aliens cut them off.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Dukat did nothing wrong.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Any series set in past trek will be awful. It sound rad until it shits all over established canon and devolves into a montage of callbacks.

I want to see some real space wizardry set like a hundred years after ds9. They'll have all sorts of crazy poo poo then.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Tighclops posted:

Nobody in a position to make a Star Trek series would have the balls or the awareness to make a show bold enough to break new ground or at the very least, piss off the right assholes in the world

Everybody who isn't a pampered little poo poo knows the future we're heading into is a dystopian nightmare owned by soulless multinationals controlled by untouchable oligarchs that eventually enforce their will with unstoppable killer drone armies and relentless propaganda, Star Trek's optimism is hopelessly naive in the face of that and while it might be argued that we need optimism more than ever, at this point I'm more inclined to agree it's time is past and that we now need topical sci fi that is willing to tackle the issues facing us more directly than conventional space opera is typically able to

I know I've said this before, but after watching Caprica, that's the show I sort of wish Enterprise had been. Have the focus be on the political, social, military and industrial conflict of humanity post-First Contact. As we're starting to move into the greater interstellar arena, see how things gradually shift from our modern world to one that is approaching the philosophy of the TOS and later eras, how the groundwork for TOS/DS9/TNG/Etc. start to get laid out by things that occur in the first decade post-FC. .

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Wait, Caprica was good? I heard it sucked and decided to save myself the annoyance.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Shadow posted:

Wait, Caprica was good? I heard it sucked and decided to save myself the annoyance.

It was okay. I watched it, at least, but it felt like it took forever to feel like it was getting to somewhere really interesting. It's probably not helped by the fact that from what I remember it wasn't supposed to be a BSG-related show in the first place. I think most people like the final 5 minutes or so of the final episode as I think it sort of reveals about 3-4 years worth of big moments that we were never going to get to as a series.

But I think a lot of the things it tried to deal with would have maybe worked really well with a Trek prequel series: Terrorism, corruption, religious issues, industrial and political espionage, ramping up technical innovations, economic and more modern social issues, etc. Stuff that's not so visible in the Trek series because that's supposed to have been mostly dealt with by the eras of those shows, but could have still been very abundant from an Earth still recovering from a war and dealing with first contact.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
In case anyone is wondering, this Dark Matter show is ummmmmmmm

Well I'd give it a C-

More specifically, it's a stylish bag with chunks of other sci-fi shows and a bad smell inside

Are there any good spaceship shows currently running?

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Shadow posted:

It's like 5 good episodes streatched out to 18 episodes. I really liked the last episode, but not enough to recommend watching the whole slog leading up to it.

Based on the flash forwards in the final scene, season 2 would have probably been better, but that's the problem: They spent 17 episodes setting everything up.

Also they spent way too much time in V-World Matrix, which was the epitome of "Goes Nowhere, Does Nothing."

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Shadow posted:

Dukat did nothing wrong.

Apart from putting his scaly pecker in a Bajoran.
Twice.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

happyhippy posted:

Twice.

Hahahahaha.

Haha.

Twice during lunch on a Tuesday maybe.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

happyhippy posted:

Twice.

they call it spooning

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

happyhippy posted:

Twice.

The time he fathered an illegitimate child with one of his wacko cultists was the best, especially that reveal to the crowd. "Oh, uh, wow... how did that get there? Heh heh heh..."

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Nostrum posted:

That episode with Dukat and Kira pallin' around looking for that Bajoran guy/Dukats daughter is so loving bizzare.

It would be like a Dachau escapee pulling something out of Hitler rear end and then laughing her rear end off with him around a campfire.

That scene would make one hell of a gif

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

somebody make this play backwards

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Clark Nova posted:

somebody make this play backwards

I'm a fairy high ranking Giffsman. T'was no trouble.

edit: beaten like a Yates-piloted freighter laden with stembolts.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

shadow puppet of a posted:

I'm a fairy high ranking Giffsman. T'was no trouble.

You'll never make grandmaster with that speed.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Germstore posted:

You'll never make grandmaster with that speed.

Grandmastery would be making Dukat rise as Kira plunges her fist into his Shakaar resistance cell.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

:golfclap: Bravo to both of you, though I don't think Dukat was very impressed with the size of Kira's plunger.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
....and the Obsidian Order learned a new interrogation technique that day.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

the maquis are the far-right radical assholes of the federation.

i've never ever read the maquis as right-wing, that's an uh interesting interpretation. how do you mean

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

they're insanely right wing

they're a militia of territorial jingoistic babies screaming about getting off mah land and how big government overlooks the little guy and plots by aliens trying to get them

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
they are a terrorist militia who feel they were abandoned or betrayed by the Federation and are, from their perspective, defending their homeland. none of that makes them remotely right wing. i mean, the IRA or the PLO are/were also terrorists concerned about the occupiers getting off muh land but nobody would ever pretend they are right wing in the american militia sense

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 19, 2015

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
DS9 is all about deconstructing and critiquing the Perfect Liberal (in the classical sense) Paradise that TNG establishes. the maquis as the embodied face of the marginalized and normally-invisible casualties of federation policy fits perfectly with that. the maquis as, idk, rootin tootin entitled libertarian militiamen???? makes no sense, is not consistent with their characterization, and does not fit at all with the character and goals of the series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I think you are in post-wing politics at that point given the death of economics, religion and immigration. Jaresh-Inyo was elected to office largely on a simple platform of redesigning the drinking fountain spigots, adding a Gamma Epsilon 5 day to the massive list of recognized holidays and agreeing to keep up the charade of 'wanting' Bajor to join the federation. Things that all people of sound mind can agree on.

• Locked thread