Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

loving thank you iphone timestamps.

poo poo just saved me from getting an article 15. Had to text NCOIC at 530 every morning till today cause I missed formation a week or so ago. He didn't get the text till like 548. I had to convince him to let me get my phone so I could prove I did, then he went off on a diatribe about how contacting him means getting a response back, and if he didn't respond I should have called etc. I think the original counseling said text too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Always be timestamping everything.

Always be automatically backing up your texts and emails.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Or just get the gently caress out of the stupid loving army, the nations biggest daycare for idiots.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

i feel no pity for the enlistedman

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Mike-o posted:

Or just get the gently caress out of the stupid loving army, the nations biggest daycare for idiots.

I am loving trying so hard. Therapist isn't doing anything to help. Always like "I can't write profiles at all" or "well, talk to your PCM" or whatever. gently caress her. I'm switching.

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

i feel no pity for the enlistedman

Pity those stuck in the gears of the poo poo who are aware of how bad it is and want to leave. Not those who are blinded by promises of valor and honor like mopping the floor is a goddamn AAM worthy event.

Naked Bear posted:

Always be timestamping everything.

Always be automatically backing up your texts and emails.

Always

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Soulex posted:

poo poo just saved me from getting an article 15. Had to text NCOIC at 530 every morning till today cause I missed formation a week or so ago. He didn't get the text till like 548. I had to convince him to let me get my phone so I could prove I did, then he went off on a diatribe about how contacting him means getting a response back, and if he didn't respond I should have called etc. I think the original counseling said text too.

From now on, call him 30 seconds after texting if you haven't heard back.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Wasabi the J posted:

Alright great mission Kiryen, gimme three sustains and three improves...

Sustains:

1. We are now 36 hours closer to being done with AT. Definitely should sustain time continuing to move forward
2. OC/Ts were absent for 85% of the mission and during the other 15% they were infantry and MPs while our unit is Logistics. Sustain having OC/Ts that don't come around because they have no idea what we're supposed to be doing anyhow
3. While we're at it, sustain having me (an engineer officer) as the XO of a logistics battalion since I don't know what they gently caress we're supposed to be doing either other than "move supplies from point A to point B". Then the SPO and S3 can continue to make things happen without us having to go through MDMP, while I concentrate on business from back in the rear that absolutely has to get done despite the fact that we're on a FOB in Wisconsin where the exercise network is down most of the time.

Improves
1. Improve the TACSOP. Mainly, this could be improved by not having one. Every TACSOP ever was written for central Germany in 1986 and is 5,987 pages long so that rather than being a small pamphlet a Lieutenant can consult when he's not sure what convoy formation to use it weighs 15 pounds and has such incredibly useful tactical items as the Chaplain's memorial service procedure and invaluable battle drills like "React to friendly nuclear strike". I hear we use that one daily in theater. Alternately we could improve the TACSOP by just having OC/Ts shut the gently caress up about it.
2. We can improve the problem of soldiers not wearing their IBA and helmets all over the FOB by removing the requirement to wear it. Seriously, no one actually does this while deployed and if you did you'd have anyone in the unit over 40 on permanent profile by the time they go home. No, it does not "build muscle memory" to wear heavy poo poo, you ignorant fuckwad. We can also not carry weapons around at low ready despite the fact that you're not supposed to have a magazine in them, dipshit. Make up your mind, is it supposed to be ready to fire or not?
3. We could improve the type of AT we do by not coming back here next year for the 5th time in a row. Amazing as it may seem, reacting to ECP attacks is not one of our METL tasks and wearing IBA around in the dirt for 3 weeks a year and spending the other 12 weekend drills hearing powerpoints on how not to inconvenience the Army by whatever flavor of shithead you think everyone is this month does not help the retention you're always complaining about. No, I do not care that there have been six accidental chokings on lollipops this year and that three of them were at Fort Lewis; I don't need a Powerpoint on lollipop safety. How about you just not recruit retards next time?

Please ensure these lessons learned are captured for the takehome packet, tia

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Kiryen posted:

From now on, call him 30 seconds after texting if you haven't heard back.

Man gently caress that those motherfuckers never answer

Call him every thirty seconds instead and make it worth it.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Kiryen posted:

How about you just not recruit retards next time?

That's one way to downsize the army.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Because only retards join the army. Myself and present company included.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I always thought it would make for a badass Army recruitment commercial to CGI up a bunch of dudes jumping into Syria while the plane gets shot the gently caress up or the inside of an Abrams during a battle or something, with no music and just some silent title cards for each MOS and what they do when poo poo hits the fan.

But I guess that would only result in a bunch of psychopaths joining, even if it would be way cooler than Marine commercials. So instead we just get some gay rooftop parkour so a dude can set up a tactical surveyor telescope https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgdNFlsFWes like what the gently caress is this poo poo Army

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The 90 day post deployment recovery period, does it usually start the day the plane lands in the US or at the end of the accrued leave time?

Plane landed Jul 22nd but my leave went until August 13th.

Please respond quickly your answer determines whether or not I tell my 1SG to piss off about getting me to come into drill tomorrow.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Geirskogul posted:

The 90 day post deployment recovery period, does it usually start the day the plane lands in the US or at the end of the accrued leave time?

What the gently caress is this when i got back from iraq i had two days off until it was time for everyone to go back to work until leave where we were limited to no more than 14 days consecutive time away.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Because only retards join the army. Myself and present company included.

It wasn't until I joined the army that I learned being the smartest person in the room isn't an enviable position. Of course enlisting with a degree makes me KING RETARD.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Obstacle2 posted:

What the gently caress is this when i got back from iraq i had two days off until it was time for everyone to go back to work until leave where we were limited to no more than 14 days consecutive time away.

Guard

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Soulex posted:

it's not sarge's fault you have a bad phone carrier

tomorrow's Saturday morning so just to make sure you should call him at 4:30 am

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Kiryen posted:

1. We are now 36 hours closer to being done with AT. Definitely should sustain time continuing to move forward

Stealing this for next aar

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Geirskogul posted:

Please respond quickly your answer determines whether or not I tell my 1SG to piss off about getting me to come into drill tomorrow.

Based guise plz

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Geirskogul posted:

Based guise plz

Plane on ground ime

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
drat

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Geirskogul posted:

i was guard, but ours started at the "end" of our Activation. We landed home right before Halloween in 2005, but we were techically active until mid November. We had a week or so of daily formations at our armory, with like 3 hours of work (basically PMCS/inventory of stuff that had come back with us/weapons cleaning) but yeah after that we didn't have drill again until February

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Aren't you already in trouble? Go to drill. Or don't, whatever.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Turning this 12 hour into a 24 hour shift.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Geirskogul posted:

Last day of terminal leave, which is the day you actually leave active duty. However, the moment you show up to drill, even if it's early, you have to begin drilling again.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

psydude posted:

Last day of terminal leave, which is the day you actually leave active duty. However, the moment you show up to drill, even if it's early, you have to begin drilling again.

Okay, that's what I thought. My terminal leave end date is the same as the date on my refrad orders, which was August 13. I respectfully declined this drill, too, though I was nice and did my pdhra online from home.

I'm not trying to be a dick, or an rear end in a top hat, or a pussy. And I'm normally the good "two hours early to everything" guy. I just think it's wrong to split yellow ribbon up into three drills to force us to come.

Last two months they threatened me with AWOL (lol) and turns out he didn't even code me as U for the dates either.

Though he did come to my house and yell through the door, which made it difficult to sleep.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Geirskogul posted:

Okay, that's what I thought. My terminal leave end date is the same as the date on my refrad orders, which was August 13. I respectfully declined this drill, too, though I was nice and did my pdhra online from home.

I'm not trying to be a dick, or an rear end in a top hat, or a pussy. And I'm normally the good "two hours early to everything" guy. I just think it's wrong to split yellow ribbon up into three drills to force us to come.

Last two months they threatened me with AWOL (lol) and turns out he didn't even code me as U for the dates either.

Though he did come to my house and yell through the door, which made it difficult to sleep.

Why can't people just do things to the regulations without conspiring to make it a big gay-rear end loving ordeal to try to shanghai people at every opportunity?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Because people are scared either of being wrong or telling their CO that they're wrong.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Bogus AWOL is hilarious. Some asshat forgot to Email out a 4187 for like a month and tried to DFR a guy who'd been showing up to the "wrong" unit.

Real AWOLs are a real pain.

brains
May 12, 2004

psydude posted:

Because people are scared either of being wrong or telling their CO that they're wrong.

had a real good time this week grounding a couple dudes from flying and having the CO getting all huffy and puffy about it then pretty much every person he turned to for an out (including the *incredible* cock-suck OPSO) realizing the regs are black and loving white on this issue.

"sorry you've got a lot of authority and remarkable leeway to accomplish the mission but you can't carte blanche violate ARs because you think it's inconvenient"

also no i'm not going to apologize for keeping your own rear end out of a 15-6 for intentionally illegally flying people.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I requested two people to fill positions for work and they sent me some natty guard boys who have so far been thoroughly unimpressive

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

What did you expect?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

If they aren't completely stupid, it sounds like you came out ahead.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Just found out I'm not going to JRTC anymore :woop:

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Triggs posted:

Just found out I'm not going to JRTC anymore :woop:

You dodged a crocodile.

Last drill with my first unit today. I am going to miss the people but it is good to move up.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Only good part of being at brigade (other than packets being handled super quickly) is having access to JAGs to give you all of the juicy details about how wrong most commanders are. For example, did you know that if a drilling reservist tests positive for Marijuana on a drill weekend UPL, there's no grounds to separate them because there's no way to prove they were using on duty? Most soldiers cop to it anyway and accept whatever punishment is thrown their way, but if they push back they have a large chance of beating any punishment.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Hell, right now our CG is approving suspended discharges for all E1-E4 first time THC positives. It's fun listening to the E7+ people bitch about how that's not fair.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

psydude posted:

Only good part of being at brigade (other than packets being handled super quickly) is having access to JAGs to give you all of the juicy details about how wrong most commanders are. For example, did you know that if a drilling reservist tests positive for Marijuana on a drill weekend UPL, there's no grounds to separate them because there's no way to prove they were using on duty? Most soldiers cop to it anyway and accept whatever punishment is thrown their way, but if they push back they have a large chance of beating any punishment.

Wait, the problems is not that they were using it at all, but that they were using it on duty?

:liara:

So if they just smoke it not on duty.....

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

And no, that's not true. AR 135-178 Chapter 12 states:

"A Soldier may be discharged for misconduct when it is determined under the guidance set forth in chapter 2, section I,
that the Soldier is unqualified for further military service by reason of one or more of the following circumstances:

d. Abuse of illegal drugs or alcohol. Illegal drug use is serious misconduct. Discharge action normally will be based
upon commission of a serious offense. However, relevant facts may mitigate the nature of the offense. Therefore, a
single drug offense may be combined with one or more disciplinary infractions or incidents or other misconduct and
processed for discharge under paragraph a or b, above, as appropriate.
(1) Commanders will process for separation all Soldiers who—
(a) Test positive for illegal drug use."

When you use is irrelevant. If you test positive for illegal drugs, it's an automatic Chapter 12 discharge. If it's for a controlled prescription drug, the Soldier is given time to produce the prescription and/or dispensing logs from the pharmacy.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

psydude posted:

What about other negative actions? I'm asking if my friend can blaze this fatty or not...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Retardog posted:

And no, that's not true. AR 135-178 Chapter 12 states:

"A Soldier may be discharged for misconduct when it is determined under the guidance set forth in chapter 2, section I,
that the Soldier is unqualified for further military service by reason of one or more of the following circumstances:

d. Abuse of illegal drugs or alcohol. Illegal drug use is serious misconduct. Discharge action normally will be based
upon commission of a serious offense. However, relevant facts may mitigate the nature of the offense. Therefore, a
single drug offense may be combined with one or more disciplinary infractions or incidents or other misconduct and
processed for discharge under paragraph a or b, above, as appropriate.
(1) Commanders will process for separation all Soldiers who—
(a) Test positive for illegal drug use."

When you use is irrelevant. If you test positive for illegal drugs, it's an automatic Chapter 12 discharge. If it's for a controlled prescription drug, the Soldier is given time to produce the prescription and/or dispensing logs from the pharmacy.

It's not an issue of regulation, it's an issue of jurisdiction. Which the Army doesn't have over soldiers who are inbetween drill weekend.

e: In other words, the commander can (and should) file a separation packet; however the soldier has a strong case if he or she goes to TDS and tries to legally block it. That being said, you can still lose your clearance, and there's no guarantee that the judge will agree with you. But I just thought it was funny, because it's a good example of just how little control the guard/reserve has over people who aren't on orders and who aren't on IDT.

psydude fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 19, 2015

• Locked thread