Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Newb again. So here's what I've gathered that I should be doing:

1) buy crystal gold from Sothis and sell it to Skvortsov to help DF
2) take smuggling missions from Sothis
3) sell exploration data to Skvortsov

Anything else? And this mite b a dum quesh but refreshing the BB is as simple as back out, re-click?

Ok, so if you're super new in a sidewinder or something you're not going to be able to do this really.
Any ship with a good fuel scoop can technically do it but I think you want a cobra with a 3A or something. I can explain fuel scooping if you need. Make sure that you don't run out of fuel, so plan your route so that you hit a fuel star when your tank is almost out.
Probably want to get extra fuel tanks so that you have to make fewer stops.
Make sure you have shields, but dump everything else like guns. Chaff is ok. D rank is good for most equipment. Get the best FSD you can.

When you get to Sothis:
You're going to check the bulletin board, grab any smuggling missions (:skeltal: -> )
Exit to main menu, start in Open/Private Group/Solo
check the bulletin board
Exit to main menu, start in Open/Private Group/Solo (A different one this time)
Repeat until your cargo hold gets sorta full.
Buy some crystal gold if you want, use that to top off your cargo hold.

Start working your way back.
If you get interdicted, a good strategy is to immediately submit, try to keep your cursor in the ring until you get pulled out.
Put four pips in engine, two in systems. Line up your cursor to the exit and boost, full throttle.
You'll start getting shot. Swerve maniacally, pop chaff. Engage FSD at soonest opportunity. Just keep on going in the same general direction, don't try fancy maneuvers.

When you get to 5.4.3.2.1, you're invincible.

Turn in your smuggle missions, get rich. Sell crystal gold in Skortz if you feel like it.

Repeat until you die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
If you're super new in a Sidewinder, do something fun instead of Sothis.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Shine posted:

Like CQC. EArn money while getting blown up! :V

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If you're REALLY dead set on making sothis your initial Elite: Dangerous experience, I can hook you up with some money to buy a ship that can do it, but you'll get there and not have enough rank to take any missions.

Do keep an eye out for smuggling missions. They're easy and low risk, high pay. Crank a few of those out first to get a handle on the basic mechanics.

Tikal
Nov 14, 2008

Shine posted:

or find a group of goons to give you money.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Yeh Sothis seriously requires an hour of switching modes to get enough smuggling missions.

Also I think it's a really great idea to get an advanced scanner and scan all systems on the way there. Easy few extra credits and explorer rank. Remember that when you hit Sothis you can just sell it to get a complete refund and toss on a cargo rack or fuel tank or whatever you like.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 17, 2015

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Got them WMD's! Got that Pandemic!
So, I bagged my first kill. Kinda bumbled around getting a mission in trevithick, figured how to get to the checkpoints, and then after way to long with my horrible fingers managed to drop out of FSD.

Pirate appears, shouting at me and shooting lasers. I oblige, and get into a horrible drunken ballet of trading fire until his shields are down. Then, as I nearly have him, from over my head a barrage of shells smack his ship, and I start to poo poo myself. Pirate explodes (I managed to snag a laser on him at the last second), and I figure I'm about to get dicked on by this thing. It's the police, scanning me. I sweat for a second being a newbie and retract my guns. "Proced pilot"

Whew.

Edit: I alt tabbed to type this, tabbed back in, ship is freaking out to heat damage and I explode. :argh:

(Also I might be hooked)

ChickenWyngz fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 17, 2015

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Smuggling would be a lot easier if I spent less time in witchspace. :(

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

ASK me about the times I've told myself to stop going 500,000ls out to scan a brown dwarf while going 500,000ls to scan a brown dwarf, and then I jump to the next stop in my destination to An Interesting Spot and I go 500,000ls to scan a brown dwarf.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Go do Hutton and see what real fear is

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Is there a difference between interdictors? I'm starting to get interdicted more (literally one after the other on my way to the outpost I logged at) and there's either a trick I'm not getting or some are flat out impossible to escape with my pitch/roll speed.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Here's an update:

I made it to Sothis in a Cobra with a D2 fuel scoop :3

Goddamn it took a loving long time. Getting back to Mother Goat will be a pain.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Interesting landing pad.

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
Has anyone tried the private guys shield lasers, whatever the name is? Are they actually any better at shield busting?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Okay what's with the Advanced Discovery Scanner? The range says inf, but I point it at a distant unexplored object and it doesnt scan?

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

SynthOrange posted:

Okay what's with the Advanced Discovery Scanner? The range says inf, but I point it at a distant unexplored object and it doesnt scan?

The discovery scanner only tells you that something is there, not what it is. To find out what it is, you have to target it and get fairly close. Once you see the swirling "SCANNING" thing in your lower left display, just wait.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

also make sure you have a detailed surface scanner installed, so that when you do the close-up scan you get more money.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

The before/after my latest trip smuggling drugs/slaves/weapons from Sothis. Started playing E:D 5 days ago.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Starkk posted:

The before/after my latest trip smuggling drugs/slaves/weapons from Sothis. Started playing E:D 5 days ago.

Jesus Christ your socks must be filthy

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Starkk posted:

Good god

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just got interdicted by Twilight Sparkle. Why do all these people in sidewinders think they can take on a Cobra? :v:

Also I've just gone to do mini-sothises instead, going to the edge of civilized space. Weird job distributions out there. For some reason I found about 5 smuggle jobs to the same destination 80 ly away. Easier to do if you dont have a few hours to spare. Runs take about 10-15 mins at most.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 18, 2015

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

drat it! I just got murdered a few dozen LYs out of Sothis by some bot in an Imperial Cruiser. Or an FAS, I can't remember. The only reason I didn't immediately jump was b/c I was out of fuel and I was trying to scyoop some from a nearby M star. At least I get to spawn back at Ceos...

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

So if my trade rank is non-existent, I should just give up on the Sothis thing? drat. :(

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

Met posted:

Interesting landing pad.

Hey that's me! yeah I went afk for like 5 hours, I don't remember landing there though...

I'm definitely liking fehu runs a lot more, seems like the luxury station spawns way more smuggling missions and it's a bit closer to where it sends you.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

5,000 light years away from populated space, what's this doing here?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

And I bet you don't have cargo room. :v:

Looks like it might be worth leaving off an extra maintenance module for a small bit of cargo space in the future.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I have 8 space for cargo so I picked it up, IDK what it does.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I just got this. Looking for some chillbuddies to play with and help me learn to play. a lot is intuitive but a lot isnt and a buddy may help. if anyone wants to PM me or point me to some kind of goon group, and im gonna slap myself if i missed that info in the OP but forgive me please if i did

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I have 8 space for cargo so I picked it up, IDK what it does.

It sells for like 6k or something

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

5,000 light years away from populated space, what's this doing here?

That HUD colour is really nice do you mind sharing it :shobon:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

code:
<MatrixRed> 0.11, 0.26, 1 </MatrixRed>
<MatrixGreen> 1, 1, -0.45 </MatrixGreen>
<MatrixBlue> 0.18, -0.26, -0.21 </MatrixBlue>

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

hemophilia posted:

I just got this. Looking for some chillbuddies to play with and help me learn to play. a lot is intuitive but a lot isnt and a buddy may help. if anyone wants to PM me or point me to some kind of goon group, and im gonna slap myself if i missed that info in the OP but forgive me please if i did

Boom.

In addition to the tips in the OP, add anybody in that thread, including me (Shine in-game) to friends and we'll sort you out.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

code:
<MatrixRed> 0.11, 0.26, 1 </MatrixRed>
<MatrixGreen> 1, 1, -0.45 </MatrixGreen>
<MatrixBlue> 0.18, -0.26, -0.21 </MatrixBlue>

that's fuckin swaggerific

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

SplitSoul posted:

So if my trade rank is non-existent, I should just give up on the Sothis thing? drat. :(

Nope, your mission selection and profit will just be smaller. The penniless missions pays about 1-1.5mill each - filling your hold with a bunch of those should get you in a T6 fast and bump your rank up.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ugh, if there's a target I have to kill in a system, I'm supposed to keep searching Unidentified signals until I find it?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

SynthOrange posted:

Ugh, if there's a target I have to kill in a system, I'm supposed to keep searching Unidentified signals until I find it?

No, they should show up in super cruise after a bit.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Tonight's shenanigans:

Before:

After:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

No, they should show up in super cruise after a bit.

Crap, will I need an interdictor?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

SynthOrange posted:

Crap, will I need an interdictor?
They can and will show up in signal sources too actually. But yeah most of the time you'll want to bring an interdictor to assassinate missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RearmingStrafbomber
Jan 29, 2009

1-1-2029, tonight the stars are shining bright

Strange new frontiers.

• Locked thread