Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
New Dededededestruction. Things are, maybe, possibly, happening? The invader(???) scene was pretty unnerving, and well, it's always fun when a character starts talking in past tense about how wonderful life was before ~that day~ and then the chapter closes with foreshadowing the end of the world. I wonder if Asano has a plan for the series or if he's kinda just winging it, I remember he took a couple months off recently to plan it out more, so I wonder how much is planned and how much is him thinking it up as he goes. It's still pretty great anyways, and the detail is fantastic as always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Turin Turambar posted:

Have anyone read 'The World is Mine'? Opinions?

I'm halfway through it now. Please don't spoil the ending!

It's... interesting? Really hosed up stuff going on though, makes it a bit difficult to read but I think that's the point in a lot of ways. Not sure yet how much I like it but the mystery / paranormal element to it is really captivating so far.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

That Works posted:

I'm halfway through it now. Please don't spoil the ending!

It's... interesting? Really hosed up stuff going on though, makes it a bit difficult to read but I think that's the point in a lot of ways. Not sure yet how much I like it but the mystery / paranormal element to it is really captivating so far.

I asked before starting it to adjust my expectations, I just read the first.. 30 pages or so. So no spoils from me.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

New Dededededestruction. Things are, maybe, possibly, happening? The invader(???) scene was pretty unnerving,

That scene was everything I was expecting, and the end, uh, not exactly. Can't wait for more.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

At long last, a new chapter of Mahou Shoujo Ore.

(Is it seinen? :iiam:, but it's the best fit out of all the misc threads we have in this forum.)

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Also it's been translated up to chapter 13

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mike Takashi to direct live action adaptation of 'Blade of Immortal' manga

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
At this point I'm gonna be more surprised when Miike isn't directing a semi-major Japanese movie. That said, he's a pretty good pick for Blade of the Immortal, that remake of Harakiri he did was good as hell.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Any recs for manga (or anime) where the protagonist solves problems with cool knowledge or non-fighting related skills? Stuff like Master Keaton, Bartender, Jin, Sakamoto desu etc.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Chas McGill posted:

Any recs for manga (or anime) where the protagonist solves problems with cool knowledge or non-fighting related skills? Stuff like Master Keaton, Bartender, Jin, Sakamoto desu etc.

Bloody Monday has a bit of that I guess but tends to go off the rails and is nowhere near as good as Master Keaton. Outside of the MC its all action and fighting.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Bloody-Monday

Munakata Kyouju Denkiko is more in the Master Keaton vibe than most stuff I think

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Munakata-Kyouju-Denkikou

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Bloody Monday is unintentionally a brilliant comedy.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Finished Ran and the Gray World last week, which I think used to be a fixture of this thread.

Pretty good stuff. It's currently tied for the bottom spot on my favorite manga shortlist. With the exception of the elephant in the room, I found it to be quaint and charming and funny and thoughtful. I like the author's inventive use of magic and cozy family dynamics. I read so much stuff where the protagonist's family is a mess that it's nice to have loving parents and kids that fight but care about each other for once.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Bloody Monday is pretty bad, but in some places it's bad like CSI:Cyber which is funny and good. In others its just bad.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Bad Seafood posted:

Finished Ran and the Gray World last week, which I think used to be a fixture of this thread.

Pretty good stuff. It's currently tied for the bottom spot on my favorite manga shortlist. With the exception of the elephant in the room, I found it to be quaint and charming and funny and thoughtful. I like the author's inventive use of magic and cozy family dynamics. I read so much stuff where the protagonist's family is a mess that it's nice to have loving parents and kids that fight but care about each other for once.

What's the elephant in the room? (I haven't read the series fyi)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

What's the elephant in the room? (I haven't read the series fyi)

Kid uses magic to become an adult, adult man falls in love with her.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

Kid uses magic to become an adult, adult man falls in love with her.

I thought the elephant on the room would be all the drama and tragedy there is once it reaches a certain point. The mood really switches gears there, more than with the romance. You can't say that is quaint and charming and funny anymore.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

I thought the elephant on the room would be all the drama and tragedy there is once it reaches a certain point. The mood really switches gears there, more than with the romance. You can't say that is quaint and charming and funny anymore.

Uh, lots of stories have drama and tragedy. The only vaguely unique aspect there is how it was like 80% or so Ran's fault and then she kept making it worse.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Frolicking's got it.

As for some of the more serious turns in the plot, I never felt like the story broke character even then. Things do look a bit grim for our characters around the middle, but the author includes a lot of little touches to remind us we haven't gone as far afield as we think. It's actually pretty neat since it really reinforces the Swarms' role as some otherworldly invader in an otherwise charming and easy-going setting.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

Uh, lots of stories have drama and tragedy.

Uh? I didn't see it was something unique.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

That Works posted:

Munakata Kyouju Denkiko is more in the Master Keaton vibe than most stuff I think

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Munakata-Kyouju-Denkikou
This is extremely cool. I'm really interested in comparative theology and folklore so this is almost the perfect manga for me. The art is outstanding too.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Chas McGill posted:

This is extremely cool. I'm really interested in comparative theology and folklore

Oh?

Have you read Soil ?

It's pretty out there though.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Yes, I started reading Soil a while ago after someone (probably in this thread) recommended it to me. Really intriguing and unusual, but I understand that it's no longer being translated? I decided to stop at the end of volume 1 or something to wait and see if someone would complete the whole thing. Looks like it hasn't been updated since 2013.

I'm liking Munakata a lot, although I feel that he lacks a bit of personality himself. It feels pretty old-school-serial. The focus is definitely on the myths rather than the characters, with little continuity between the chapters (at least for the first few). A pretty former student/daughter of the shrine-owner meeting him every time he goes to investigate something is a little predictable. The content is so interesting that I don't really care though.

Master Keaton struck a good balance of having interesting and informative plots with a likable protagonist and side characters within an episodic framework.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just finished reading Ran and the Grey World. It was mostly really good, with only a few things bothering me:

- The aforementioned "full grown man with a young girl" romance, though it wasn't as bad as I was afraid it would be; it's normal for a young girl to get a crush on an older man and Outarou had no clue she wasn't an adult until near the end
- Ran was basically Outarou's manic pixie dreamgirl.
- Ran's emotional growth was a little difficult to stomach. She basically went from being a really immature child to instantly being a Perfect Person who is hard working and has an amazing attitude towards everything. Somewhat related to this, the ending was a little too happy. Happy endings are fine, but it seemed like the author made a concerted effort to make it as happy and ideal as humanly possible.
- None of Ran's family dying against the insect-Outarou. They made it seem like at least the brother and father were totally dead, but everyone ended up being fine. It's kind of hard to believe that this super insect thing with the ability to sense life wouldn't have finished them off.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'm reading fist of the blue sky ages after reading fist of the north star. Is it actually any good? I mean I assume it will be

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
It is good my pengyou

Not as good as Fist of the North Star but what is

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

is pengyou nakama or what its annoying me

edit "my slate is as clean as cocaine" lmao

Jose fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 17, 2015

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou (end)

This famous sci-fi slice of life seinen is about the calm, relaxed life of Alpha, an humanoid robot that own a little cafe place. It promised comfiness, relaxedness, a easy-going style and mono no aware attitude and it delivered as hell in that regard.

The protagonist is incredibly charming in her relaxed, happy-going but innocent personality, and it will touch your heart easily. The other characters are also good, as here everyone is nice and the calm atmosphere of the entire setting permeates every person here.

One of the main pillars of the manga is the drawing, I don't think the author would have got the atmosphere and feelings he stirs up within it without this drawing. It's a mix of a simple style for characters, which underlines their gentleness, and a more detailed work that it may seem at first for the landscape. He is so good with the lush vegetation, with the lone roads, and playing with shadows, light and darkness, using great skill with the ink.

Of course, you better not think one minute of time in the logic of the setting, as it doesn't hold up any kind of scrutiny. It's the story of the end of times, about human extinction, but it isn't very clear why there are so few humans and why they aren't reproducing more (it seems they are less and less are years go by), and even with all that they still get electricity, fuel, etc. Just... /handwaves oh look at this poignant scene done with the sunset on the background! ohh!
Don't misunderstand me, this isn't a true flaw of the story, and it's pretty clear it never intended to build a realistic or deep setting, the author uses it as a pure mood setter.

As good as it is, it actually goes a bit longer than it should. All the poignant scenes and themes and happy moments and moments of solitude could have done in say, 10 or 11 volumes, but it goes up to 14, and in the last volumes it shows a bit, as at that point you can notice a bit of repetition.

It's also a not very ambitious story. It's clearly a episodic SoL story from the beginning, but around the middle of it there are opportunities in the characters and in the plot that could have used to have a more intense character growth or expand the setting or spice up a bit more the story, but the author shows a headstrong intention into just doing his mono no aware thing where nothing happens, despite it's that very same author who does the teasing about what could have been. In fact at times I supposed it was all going in a certain direction that would reveal itself near the end of the series, but nope.
Drama? Nope. For example it could have underlined more the theme of passage of time and Yuri's unique position in it (and the theme of humanity final fate) with the death of one of the two elders, in addition of adding a bit of drama in there for a pair of chapters, but even if a dozen of years pass in the manga it never happens. It could have finished with Alpha all alone in a abandoned place or having to leave the café forever or something like that, but it doesn't dares to go for the gut punch.
Romance? Nope, not for the protagonist, not for the other robots, not for the other humans. Well at the end Takahiro and Makki are together and have a child but it happens totally offscreen. Oh, and I didn't liked Takahiro never visits her since he left, not even at the end, even if they tease about it several times, with Alpha asking for him repeated times and gramps saying he was going to.
Origin story? Nope. The manga teases you about the backstory of the robot's creation and their function (like the disc they found about the first series, or how the doc was involved in their creation), and the meaning of the giant plane that also have a Alpha series robot in it and their mission, and how Alpha is strangely tuned for flying which I suspected it was related, but nothing.
And obviously nothing about the setting itself, the owner or whatever.

It does very well the episodic mono no aware thing, but I think it could have done that and in addition something even more meaningful and poignant, but it chooses not to.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 17, 2015

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

you recommended a manga then wrote huge walls of text most of it behind spoilers rather than sell anyone on it

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jose posted:

you recommended a manga then wrote huge walls of text most of it behind spoilers rather than sell anyone on it

Less than 50% isn't "most of it".

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
A couple paragraphs at most is key when recommending things otherwise people tend to lose interest especially when parts of the recommendation are just big fat spoiler blocks

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Captain Invictus posted:

A couple paragraphs at most is key when recommending things otherwise people tend to lose interest especially when parts of the recommendation are just big fat spoiler blocks
This is important so I'll reiterate it. Short and to the point, less is more. It's the same type of thing that shows up in the "convince somebody to read a comic in one panel" thread. Technically the rules (especially in the new thread) allow you to post more panels, but most of the time people aren't gonna bother when you post three or more.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

I liked Turin Turambar's post and while it may not in the "recommend me a manga"-format, I like review-like posts. I have already read YKK and I read the whole post.

But I guess we can also be gigantic poo poo-lords, if it doesn't fit the ~required format~ of another loving thread.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Grim Up North posted:

I liked Turin Turambar's post and while it may not in the "recommend me a manga"-format, I like review-like posts. I have already read YKK and I read the whole post.

But I guess we can also be gigantic poo poo-lords, if it doesn't fit the ~required format~ of another loving thread.
Way to completely miss an important skill for communicating any ideas.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I don't think he liked the manga.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Twiddy posted:

This is important so I'll reiterate it. Short and to the point, less is more. It's the same type of thing that shows up in the "convince somebody to read a comic in one panel" thread. Technically the rules (especially in the new thread) allow you to post more panels, but most of the time people aren't gonna bother when you post three or more.

This isn't the recommendation thread, this is the general seinen thread. :confused: Or am I missing something?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

This famous sci-fi slice of life seinen is about the calm, relaxed life of Alpha, an humanoid robot that own a little cafe place. It promised comfiness, relaxedness, a easy-going style and mono no aware attitude and it delivered as hell in that regard.

The protagonist is incredibly charming in her relaxed, happy-going but innocent personality, and it will touch your heart easily. The other characters are also good, as here everyone is nice and the calm atmosphere of the entire setting permeates every person here.

One of the main pillars of the manga is the drawing, I don't think the author would have got the atmosphere and feelings he stirs up within it without this drawing. It's a mix of a simple style for characters, which underlines their gentleness, and a more detailed work that it may seem at first for the landscape. He is so good with the lush vegetation, with the lone roads, and playing with shadows, light and darkness, using great skill with the ink.

Of course, you better not think one minute of time in the logic of the setting, as it doesn't hold up any kind of scrutiny. It's the story of the end of times, about human extinction, but it isn't very clear why there are so few humans and why they aren't reproducing more (it seems they are less and less are years go by), and even with all that they still get electricity, fuel, etc. Just... /handwaves oh look at this poignant scene done with the sunset on the background! ohh!
Don't misunderstand me, this isn't a true flaw of the story, and it's pretty clear it never intended to build a realistic or deep setting, the author uses it as a pure mood setter.

As good as it is, it actually goes a bit longer than it should. All the poignant scenes and themes and happy moments and moments of solitude could have done in say, 10 or 11 volumes, but it goes up to 14, and in the last volumes it shows a bit, as at that point you can notice a bit of repetition.

It's also a not very ambitious story. It's clearly a episodic SoL story from the beginning, but around the middle of it there are opportunities in the characters and in the plot that could have used to have a more intense character growth or expand the setting or spice up a bit more the story, but the author shows a headstrong intention into just doing his mono no aware thing where nothing happens, despite it's that very same author who does the teasing about what could have been. In fact at times I supposed it was all going in a certain direction that would reveal itself near the end of the series, but nope.
Drama? Nope. For example it could have underlined more the theme of passage of time and Yuri's unique position in it (and the theme of humanity final fate) with the death of one of the two elders, in addition of adding a bit of drama in there for a pair of chapters, but even if a dozen of years pass in the manga it never happens. It could have finished with Alpha all alone in a abandoned place or having to leave the café forever or something like that, but it doesn't dares to go for the gut punch.
Romance? Nope, not for the protagonist, not for the other robots, not for the other humans. Well at the end Takahiro and Makki are together and have a child but it happens totally offscreen. Oh, and I didn't liked Takahiro never visits her since he left, not even at the end, even if they tease about it several times, with Alpha asking for him repeated times and gramps saying he was going to.
Origin story? Nope. The manga teases you about the backstory of the robot's creation and their function (like the disc they found about the first series, or how the doc was involved in their creation), and the meaning of the giant plane that also have a Alpha series robot in it and their mission, and how Alpha is strangely tuned for flying which I suspected it was related, but nothing.
And obviously nothing about the setting itself, the owner or whatever.

It does very well the episodic mono no aware thing, but I think it could have done that and in addition something even more meaningful and poignant, but it chooses not to.

Kabu no Isaki by the same author was real good too but even more "huh?" with the ending.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Grim Up North posted:

Please don't suggest people fairly reasonably recommending he cut it down a little bit are "gigantic shitlords" you big dumb baby

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Please don't suggest people fairly reasonably recommending he cut it down a little bit are "gigantic shitlords" you big dumb baby

Why is it fairly reasonable to recommend cutting it down? He is not doing one of your "Hey read this" posts, he is just posting his impressions after reading a manga and mixing praise and criticism. You could reasonably dogpile him in the "Recommend a manga in one page"-thread but I think this kind of post should have place in this thread.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Turin Turambar posted:

Thank you for these cool posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

You guys are being dicks and there's nothing wrong with an effort post especially one that spoilers some important points for someone who hasn't read it yet.

I liked YKK, it was one of those stories that was way more about the way it made you feel when reading it than actually concretely making all of its points and premises known.