Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Gort posted:

Probably the biggest flaw with Civ 5 on high difficulty settings is that the early game is way harder than the mid and late game. They front-load the AI bonuses too much.

It's pretty hilarious how the AI in CBP 10 turns into the game has 5 warriors guarding their city(in addition to whatever they have out scouting). I mean, I get that the AI needs more dudes to combat the improved barbs, but that's on King. I haven't gone higher than that in CBP yet, so who knows what they get on the later difficulties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Keep in mind that CBP's King is not equivalent to Civ 5's King. It's more like Deity level, except without free techs and free settlers.

CBP changelog posted:

Difficulty Changes:
*AI bonuses reduced overall, as AI is much more intelligent in the CP/CBP.
*AI no longer receives free techs or settlers (latter only at Deity) at start.
*AI can actually suffer from unhappiness on higher difficulties now.
*However, AI receives incremental bonuses every era (Gold, science, production, etc.). This, along with tactical AI improvements, helps the it keep up with an advanced player without making the early game solely about 'catching up'.
*Social Policy and Tech cost per city increased slightly (2-4% more per city, depending on map size).
*Difficulties ramped up, removing the below-Prince difficulty levels. Settler is now roughly the equivalent of vanilla Prince, Chieftain - of vanilla King, etc.

Edit: Hey, I just checked the XML for the CBP, the AI gets two free military units at King, not five. Sure you're not exaggerating?

<Description>TXT_KEY_HANDICAP_KING</Description>
<AIStartingDefenseUnits>2</AIStartingDefenseUnits>

Gort fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Oct 14, 2015

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Depends what Era you start in. I like starting in Classical because I find Ancient to be boring as sin, and you start there with (iirc) the settler, two spearmen, and a worker. So the AI might get that +two.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I'm disappointed that Gandhi isn't as insanely aggressive as his reputation suggested. While he is very nuke-happy when I go to war with him, he has never declared war himself on me. From his reputation I thought he was going to eventually turn into Genghis Khan's rabid brother.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Gort posted:

Keep in mind that CBP's King is not equivalent to Civ 5's King. It's more like Deity level, except without free techs and free settlers.

Edit: Hey, I just checked the XML for the CBP, the AI gets two free military units at King, not five. Sure you're not exaggerating?

<Description>TXT_KEY_HANDICAP_KING</Description>
<AIStartingDefenseUnits>2</AIStartingDefenseUnits>

Nope. I've frequently seen them with 4+ units in their cap circle long before any culture expands. Considering the sheer number of barbs the map frequently gets up to, I don't really mind it, as otherwise I imagine the AI would just roll over to barbs in short order. I can't imagine how godawful raging barbs would be.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Baron Bifford posted:

I'm disappointed that Gandhi isn't as insanely aggressive as his reputation suggested. While he is very nuke-happy when I go to war with him, he has never declared war himself on me. From his reputation I thought he was going to eventually turn into Genghis Khan's rabid brother.

He's chilled a little bit over the course of the game's development; the AI is a bit less jumpy in BNW. Before they tuned down warmonger disapproval though Gandhi would spend the whole game frothing mad at everybody because they accidentally stepped on an ant or something. Even if you were playing a strict pacifist game, if you ever allied any other Civ and they went to war or captured a city Gandhi would be like HOW COULD YOU BE ALLIED WITH THAT BUNCH OF HITLERS YOU MONSTER. The upshot is that he's rarely in a position to declare on you, since being simultaneously angry with every civ (especially the more aggressive ones) means he usually winds up tasting the curb pretty quickly.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Baron Bifford posted:

The original Civ had Ghandhi turn into a warmonger as soon as he hit Democracy. Nowadays he's a peacenik through and through -- his antics are mostly limited to being Very Cross with anyone who gets into fights with anyone else. The only nod to the old, insane Ghandhi is that he has the maximum willingness to use nukes. This of course requires him to survive until nukes become available and then to get into a war, so it doesn't happen very often.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Gort posted:

Probably the biggest flaw with Civ 5 on high difficulty settings is that the early game is way harder than the mid and late game. They front-load the AI bonuses too much.

Yeah, I guess it was easier to give the AI a head start rather than make them smart enough to get ahead. I see Deity as starting in a deep hole and then catching up to the other AIs.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Etalommi posted:

Inquisitors will also block the passive religious pressure from any religion other than the one it was bought from on a city it is stationed in.

That’s not true. The city is still subject to passive pressure. The only thing the inquisitor stops is the “spread religion” action of missionaries and great prophets.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Platystemon posted:

That’s not true. The city is still subject to passive pressure. The only thing the inquisitor stops is the “spread religion” action of missionaries and great prophets.

Have you tested it? I believe we did and it worked, even though it doesn't say anything about it anywhere.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I've definitely put inquisitors in cities and still saw passive spreading of opposing religions.

Regarding higher difficulties, I wonder if the game would be a little more fun if the AI got later bonuses on higher difficulties. I think they could still get some early bonuses, but I was thinking like they could get say a % bonus on science starting in the Industrial age, and have that go up a little for each age. You have to take away some of the starting techs they receive early on, otherwise it will be impossible. I don't really play above Emperor, but even there I hate how I can't really build any wonders, and it is extremely difficult to go to war until the Renaissance at the very earliest. Everyone else is just way too far ahead of me. Then I hit the late game and I've sped past everyone.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Etalommi posted:

Have you tested it? I believe we did and it worked, even though it doesn't say anything about it anywhere.

Someone tried it in a multiplayer game I was in.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I just finished a game where I was unable to found my own religion. The first great prophet I had was killed. Subsequent great prophets I got could not found any religion. Did I mess up or is this a bug?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Baron Bifford posted:

I just finished a game where I was unable to found my own religion. The first great prophet I had was killed. Subsequent great prophets I got could not found any religion. Did I mess up or is this a bug?

There are a finite number of religions that can be founded (on default settings the number of religions is a bit more than 50% of the number of starting civs), if all the religion slots are claimed then you can't do anything with prophets except make holy sites.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Baron Bifford posted:

How did you let your great prophet get killed? I don't think I've every moved my first prophet out of the capitol, I just found my religion right there.

Edit: I've only failed to found a religion a few times. Can you even make great prophets if you don't have your own religion? I can't remember.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 16, 2015

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Bird in a Blender posted:

I've only failed to found a religion a few times. Can you even make great prophets if you don't have your own religion? I can't remember.

Yes, they just can't found a religion. You can use them to spread your civ's state religion, or to build faith tile improvements.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I got careless with him while my lands were invaded.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I've definitely put inquisitors in cities and still saw passive spreading of opposing religions.

Regarding higher difficulties, I wonder if the game would be a little more fun if the AI got later bonuses on higher difficulties. I think they could still get some early bonuses, but I was thinking like they could get say a % bonus on science starting in the Industrial age, and have that go up a little for each age. You have to take away some of the starting techs they receive early on, otherwise it will be impossible. I don't really play above Emperor, but even there I hate how I can't really build any wonders, and it is extremely difficult to go to war until the Renaissance at the very earliest. Everyone else is just way too far ahead of me. Then I hit the late game and I've sped past everyone.

I agree with that. I'll look into modding the AI penalties. If anyone has a suggestion for what would be an appropriate way to balance it, I'm listening. But it's worth remembering that players benefit from making research agreements with the souped-up Deity AIs, so I'll have to find a way to balance research agreements.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I've been playing on that marbozir whitewalker super-barb setup and I'd recommend trying it to anyone. More fun than any vanilla civ5 playthrough, it's basically a struggle to survive against the barbs. Every time you try to push out you get driven back by hordes of barbs.

Tilted-axis mapgen must be a bit wonky. I set the map as pangaea and had an obscenely lucky, completely unassailable start with 1-tile chokes. Babylon, however, did not care about the map rules and clearly was not a part of the pangaea continent like the rest of us:

I could easily finish babylon off with my super-frigates and caravels but I'm having more fun trying to venture out into the undead continent.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
What are your attitudes to Wonders? Should I make every effort to get them? Or should I focus on other matters? Some of them have very powerful benefits. When I am building a Wonder, I tell the city to focus on Production to speed it up - is this the right thing to do?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Baron Bifford posted:

What are your attitudes to Wonders? Should I make every effort to get them? Or should I focus on other matters? Some of them have very powerful benefits. When I am building a Wonder, I tell the city to focus on Production to speed it up - is this the right thing to do?

Some wonders are worth warping your play to get such as the Great Library or the Statue of Liberty. Others, not so much. On the higher difficulties, the earlier wonders demand much, much more warping of your gameplay to get as the starting bonuses the AI give them a huge head start. Once you hit midgame, any wonders you get from techs you've prioritized should be relatively easy to get. As to focusing on production, it's probably a bad idea. Growth is king poo poo of the universe in Civ5 and anything that stunts it needs to give immense benefits to make up for it. In general, it's much more efficient to micromanage tiles yourself, but that's mind numbingly boring and awful.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
The other civs converted all my cities to other religions, and Inquisitors I buy do not remove these foreign religions from my cities but instead bolster them. Does this mean it's impossible for me to restore the religion I founded?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Baron Bifford posted:

The other civs converted all my cities to other religions, and Inquisitors I buy do not remove these foreign religions from my cities but instead bolster them. Does this mean it's impossible for me to restore the religion I founded?

Inquisitors "have" the dominant religion in the city they were built in. If you want to restore your religion, you have to have a city where that religion is dominant and build inquisitors there. Fortunately the holy city tends to be hard to eradicate.

On the other hand, as soon as you do this the AI is going to send more missionaries at you. Even if you tell them not to.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Baron Bifford posted:

Wait for your next prophet to pop, if you founded a religion they will always belong to your religion and they act as inquisitors+missionaries with 4 uses.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Baron Bifford posted:

Wonders are nice, but building them (as opposed to infrastructure or military) will negatively impact your game unless you're playing on King or lower, or unless you have such an overwhelming lead that you're building wonders the AI isn't even in the proper tech era to get yet. The only truly important ones are one-time bonuses like Great Library, Oracle, and Pisa. Everything else can be captured for the full benefit :getin:

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

On the other hand, as soon as you do this the AI is going to send more missionaries at you. Even if you tell them not to.

But since the AI will hate you anyway, just declare war on them, burn all their good cities, trap them on a tiny irradiated landmass, and see how many missionaries they send then.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

The White Dragon posted:

But since the AI will hate you anyway, just declare war on them, burn all their good cities, trap them on a tiny irradiated landmass, and see how many missionaries they send then.
I've played plenty of games where I never had to go to war and got along splendidly with everybody, even dickheads like Washington and Genghis Khan. It has a lot to do with who your neighbors are in the early game. If an aggressive neighbor thinks you're weak and declares war, you will likely get caught in the warmonger spiral.

The White Dragon posted:

Wonders are nice, but building them (as opposed to infrastructure or military) will negatively impact your game unless you're playing on King or lower, or unless you have such an overwhelming lead that you're building wonders the AI isn't even in the proper tech era to get yet. The only truly important ones are one-time bonuses like Great Library, Oracle, and Pisa. Everything else can be captured for the full benefit :getin:
So I guess I should just focus on population growth, and the surplus citizens I will eventually get will be able make up for my early lag in science and culture.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
That dude's not kidding, population is EVERYTHING in Civ 5. Particularly in your capital.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Speaking of food, the AI prioritizes it hard on all difficulties so you probably won't be able to get it, but Hanging Gardens is also a very nice wonder for snowballing your capital city.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

The White Dragon posted:

Speaking of food, the AI prioritizes it hard on all difficulties so you probably won't be able to get it, but Hanging Gardens is also a very nice wonder for snowballing your capital city.

It's better to focus on getting your cities up with granaries to ship food to your capital instead, it's more food for less hammers. Also safer, since you can't be beaten on trade routes.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

The White Dragon posted:

Counterpoint: Temple of Artemis gives a 10% addition to food in all cities, which is counterintuitively better than HG. I have no numbers to confirm AI priority of either wonder, but from my experience it's easier to get than HG as well.

Admittedly the HG boost is felt more immediately which can be used to bootstrap further growth if used correctly.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 18, 2015

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Poizen Jam posted:

Counterpoint: Hanging gardens gives a 10% addition to food in all cities, which is counterintuitively better than HG

What?

Anyway, a good exercise for a newer player is to build no Wonders at all, except with Great Engineers. You're almost always better off building normal buildings, especially early on.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Gort posted:

What?

Anyway, a good exercise for a newer player is to build no Wonders at all, except with Great Engineers. You're almost always better off building normal buildings, especially early on.

Clearly he meant to say Temple of Artemis gives 10% to all cities.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

ToA and HG do different things. HG gives a huge early game boost, to get ahead and stay ahead. It's also great when you don't have a whole lot of food tiles in your cap naturally, and the garden isn't to be underrated if your not planted on fresh water. ToA takes a long time to pay off, but the reward is greater. Also in consideration should be Colossus, which gives +8 food if you have enough coastal cities to utilize the cargo ship + trade route, along with some gold. I also don't know the AI prioritization, I rarely play single player and tend not to go for early wonders when I do.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Etalommi posted:

ToA and HG do different things. HG gives a huge early game boost, to get ahead and stay ahead. It's also great when you don't have a whole lot of food tiles in your cap naturally, and the garden isn't to be underrated if your not planted on fresh water. ToA takes a long time to pay off, but the reward is greater. Also in consideration should be Colossus, which gives +8 food if you have enough coastal cities to utilize the cargo ship + trade route, along with some gold. I also don't know the AI prioritization, I rarely play single player and tend not to go for early wonders when I do.

Hanging Gardens and Colossus are pretty routinely the first two wonders the AI prioritizes in my games. If you're playing above about King, forget it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
On higher difficulties the AI starts with Archery and can build Artemis stupidly early. Getting the Gardens is not that difficult (whether it's wise is another question, since the opportunity cost is huge), but Artemis often goes before the GL and there's usually not a whole lot you can do.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

For vanilla MP, Filthy's tier list is still pretty good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKhJH_c8rRA I'd say that Big Ben has shown itself to be a solid 3 in the year since the video was made, but otherwise there's just a few things that are borderline.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
If a city with World Wonders in it is razed, would it be possible to rebuild those wonders in another city?

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

If a city with World Wonders in it is razed, would it be possible to rebuild those wonders in another city?

Once they're gone, they're gone for good.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
In light of the optimal strategy talk, I've always stuck to the lower difficulties (generally Prince) and just did whatever I wanted. Usually results in some reasonably fun games in the early part until I play on the AI weaknesses enough to steam roll or there is one AI that has got obscenely big and I'm not enough of a micro manager to even attempt to catch up. My problem is I can never stand to play until the late game (usually stop with the first tier of gunpowder units) because one of those two things happen. I'm kind of interested in going up a step and trying to play a longer game but, as stupid as it sounds, I've got no idea how to really be competitive with the AI once they start getting real bonuses. Part of the problem is I'm so used to focusing on building up my cities instead of balancing out units to stop (or start) aggression and just grabbing each column of tech as I hit them rather than advancing as needed or rushing for something. Any ideas on how I can setup a game, or enforce some house rules on myself, to make it fun to go into the late game or at least force myself to focus on a strategy rather than just playing haphazardly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

How did you let your great prophet get killed? I don't think I've every moved my first prophet out of the capitol, I just found my religion right there.

Edit: I've only failed to found a religion a few times. Can you even make great prophets if you don't have your own religion? I can't remember.

I've had a few occasions where I notice that I'll get a better spread of religion from my holy city if it's not my capital. Sometimes moving your holy city is worth it if your capital will spread to 1-2 cities and a bunch of water, while if you move inland your holy city will put pressure on 3-4 cities and 1-2 city states.

• Locked thread