Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Games smashing it right now on Steam that's pretty awesome! Though a lot of people need to unlearn poo poo they've learned from other horde games like Killing Floor and L4D cause I'm seeing a lot of people face tanking Stormvermin and just mash attack while they get pummeled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I got recurve crossbow for the witch hunter which replaces his brace of pistols. It one shot headshots special skaven and that owns.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

NeurosisHead posted:

I got recurve crossbow for the witch hunter which replaces his brace of pistols. It one shot headshots special skaven and that owns.

The rifle/hand pistol for the soldier is pretty amazing too. It'll murder most specials (even the armored ones) in one shot but it has a rather long reload timer. You can roll a 50% reload reduction on greens/blues though.

From the look of it so far the soldier is my favorite, the warhammer sweeps rats like a combine harvester and it even has armor penetration for the bigger stuff. What's the trick to taking down rat ogres though?

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

What's the trick to taking down rat ogres though?

Bombs are a huge help, especially the normal (and improved) ones which stun him for a while. Other than that, just keep hitting him. Make sure to block every attack you can, and don't get too close to him or he'll hit you with his ground smash which you can only partially block.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Demiurge4 posted:

What's the trick to taking down rat ogres though?

Block and dodge. If you have full stamina (the shields when you're blocking) and are blocking his attacks will take all of your stamina but not hurt you. The dodge will help fill the gap while you're waiting to recharge stamina.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 17, 2015

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
We've got open groups on this game right now. Get in mumble you dorks.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Hard seems a good deal harder but the fact the randos that jump in at hard at least seem to know about sticking together and using healing items makes it about even

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Hardest part about Supply & Demand is that it feels much longer than it really is. By time you hit the sacks it feels like you've already killed an entire continent's worth of skaven.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Some of the weapons still need a bit of balancing. The dwarf pistols that are like the Bright WIzard's staff are absurd.

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:
God drat it, just almost finished horn of gondor on hard. One guy fell too far and got incapped from falling, picked him up real quick and got hooked as we went to hop into the hole, then the two last guys got destroyed by two more hook rats so game over in the actual victory elevator.

then we stopped playing so good game design I guess?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
When you loose in this game it feels so good :getin:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

organburner posted:

I honestly couldn't stand L4D, firing weapons in that game was like holding a limp dick with a trickle of piss coming out of it.

Meanwhile every gun I've come across so far in Vermintide has made a huge loving bang and feels so satisfying to use when things die.

It also helps that the Skaven seem to die in much more interesting ways than the zombies in l4d ever did.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I remember saying to some friends in-game that it feels so good to see your axe go straight into a skaven's skull.

Also when I got cornered by a rat ogre at the start of the encounter and managed to kill it (with ally help ofc) with 50% health remaining. That felt badass.

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

Downloaded earlier today, have been playing as Witch Hunter a little. I bought Shadow of the Horned Rat back in the day, and I'm now remembering how much fun it is to crunch videogame ratmen.

Steam ID http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197976121326

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Pubbies pickin' up grimoires on hard.

Makin' me real sad getting to the last stage and losing.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

TacMan posted:

God drat it, just almost finished horn of gondor on hard. One guy fell too far and got incapped from falling, picked him up real quick and got hooked as we went to hop into the hole, then the two last guys got destroyed by two more hook rats so game over in the actual victory elevator.

then we stopped playing so good game design I guess?

Don't care, shot a stormvermin so hard in the face he launched over the rooftops and into low orbit

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Oh man, third or so game I lucked into a blue sword&board for the soldier with the chance for instantkill and chance for a stamina-free block. I don't think I'll be using anything else for him for quite a while. Even against a pretty big horde you can just keep the shield up and go shieldbash -> slash -> shieldbash -> slash and thin them out quite nicely while taking no damage.

Also stumbled over a bug for the horn of gondor. There's a small spot right underneath the horn where you can crawl into that rats can't reach, making you basically invulnerable against everything except ratlings and globethrowers. If a pubbie tells you to go there, tell him to eat a dick and do it properly.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Darke GBF posted:

Pubbies pickin' up grimoires on hard.

Makin' me real sad getting to the last stage and losing.

You can hide your entire team under the horn platform :ssh:

This won't help you get better at the game though.

e: Is there anything you can do with lovely trinkets? Can't seem to do anything with them at the forge.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 18, 2015

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Nechronic posted:

You can hide your entire team under the horn platform :ssh:

This won't help you get better at the game though.

e: Is there anything you can do with lovely trinkets? Can't seem to do anything with them at the forge.

Might be able to fuse them with 5 other lovely trinkets to get a better one?

Also, I made a (terrible) avatar pic for the Goonintide group. If you are actually skilled at that sort of thing, feel free to post and I will change it if people seem to like it.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
nightmare is a lot harder than it was earlier. they at least changed it so you can respawn in it now.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Drakenel posted:

We've got open groups on this game right now. Get in mumble you dorks.

What's the mumble info, or is it tr0lls mumble? Just purchased this cause I'm bad with money and will be looking to play in a bit

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Demiurge4 posted:

The rifle/hand pistol for the soldier is pretty amazing too. It'll murder most specials (even the armored ones) in one shot but it has a rather long reload timer. You can roll a 50% reload reduction on greens/blues though.

From the look of it so far the soldier is my favorite, the warhammer sweeps rats like a combine harvester and it even has armor penetration for the bigger stuff. What's the trick to taking down rat ogres though?

If the rat ogre is attacking you: Block. If he's not attacking you: Chug a strength potion and ruin him. Ranged weapons don't seem to really do a whole lot unless you're consistent on the headshots. Grenades are probably better served against stormvermin or hordes, but people tend to forget about their strength potions for him. Lighting him on fire tends to grab his attention and I've wound up having to block tank him as the Bright Wizard more often than not. Shield bashes dont seem to do a lot to grab his attention.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
I just started playing and have been farting around with the Elf. Anyone have any tips for her? Right now I primarily use the bow to shoot specials, shoot dudes between waves, and that's about it. ~15% Bow / 85% slicing rats. I feel like I'm not playing her correctly, but I'm unsure.

And good lord the companion AI. I had a session drop my friends resulting in the AI picking up the slack as they reconnect and it's night & day. It didn't take long for my Dwarf to die. He felt that he should solo a gattling rat by standing in front of it doing nothing, away from the group. Once he died, the remaining AI bails to help him stand up, only they ignore the gattling rat and also die.

I'm enjoying it.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzj6EeFi_7U

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mayor McCheese posted:

I just started playing and have been farting around with the Elf. Anyone have any tips for her? Right now I primarily use the bow to shoot specials, shoot dudes between waves, and that's about it. ~15% Bow / 85% slicing rats. I feel like I'm not playing her correctly, but I'm unsure.

And good lord the companion AI. I had a session drop my friends resulting in the AI picking up the slack as they reconnect and it's night & day. It didn't take long for my Dwarf to die. He felt that he should solo a gattling rat by standing in front of it doing nothing, away from the group. Once he died, the remaining AI bails to help him stand up, only they ignore the gattling rat and also die.

I'm enjoying it.

Learn where ammo chest are and just clear shaven out. If you get good with the bow you'll hardly ever have to use your melee. Even on hard this is the case.

Also long bow is the best since you can normal draw and one shot everything but specials.

Snatch Duster fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 18, 2015

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Waywatchers that only use their bow are bad players. Same with Wizards that only use their staff.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dezztroy posted:

Waywatchers that only use their bow are bad players. Same with Wizards that only use their staff.

Broken 4k dmg using mostly bow on hard with 2g3t.

The game gives you so much ammo and longbow kills 2 or 3 shaven with power draw. Bow is extremely effective.

Snatch Duster fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 18, 2015

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Dezztroy posted:

When you're killing trash with one hit kills and do great AoE why wouldn't you use the staff 85% of the time? I only switch off when I'm in overcharge and theres still too many dudes on screen. Which usually means its a horde and I can safely chokepoint murder with heavy sword swings.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Bright Wizard is glorious, even moreso if you also use a flaming sword.

:supaburn: ALL THE BURNING RATS! :supaburn:

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
If you ever needed another reason to not play with pubbies, they've started kicking people at the end of missions.

Tokubetsu posted:

When you're killing trash with one hit kills and do great AoE why wouldn't you use the staff 85% of the time? I only switch off when I'm in overcharge and theres still too many dudes on screen. Which usually means its a horde and I can safely chokepoint murder with heavy sword swings.

I'm talking about people who continue using the staff despite being on the verge of exploding because "But the Wizard is a ranged class!"

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Magni posted:

Bright Wizard is glorious, even moreso if you also use a flaming sword.

:supaburn: ALL THE BURNING RATS! :supaburn:

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Dezztroy posted:

If you ever needed another reason to not play with pubbies, they've started kicking people at the end of missions.

what? seriously? why

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Because they're petty idiots.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Dezztroy posted:

Hey, no fair! That's what I'm supposed to do to them!

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Snatch Duster posted:

Learn where ammo chest are and just clear shaven out. If you get good with the bow you'll hardly ever have to use your melee. Even on hard this is the case.

Also long bow is the best since you can normal draw and one shot everything but specials.

What's the deal with the trueflight bow? One target always lights up red when you charge, so I assume this is the one it'll seek out, and you could fire up in the air and still hit it. But other times the arrow keeps going after a kill and strikes something else off to the side. Is that random? What about when it spins around someone making a twister trail, is that some sort of crowd control or just the arrow glitching out?

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 18, 2015

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Getting real sick of how few melee weapons im getting for the bright wizard. Ive checked out the loot rolls every time i win a mission and there's bound to be, at the very least, three staves, three-four weapons for other classes and maybe one BW melee weapon.

I cant even fuse crappy items together to try and get them, as the fusing thing makes either the same kind of weapon (if you put in five of the same in the slots), or a random weapon out of the ones you put in.

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
I don't know how it picks a target but if it's circling a rat it's because the arrow can't turn sharp enough to hit it so it circles the rat forever until the rat moves around a bit.

It's hilarious on rat ogres though, it flies through them like 20 times.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
Game seems like a lot of fun so far, only played a few games but I just unlocked an imperial repeater pistol for the witch hunter and god drat! It's a freaking 8-shot wheelgun and the secondary fire has you spin the barrel and fire off all 8 shots at once. Also has more ammo than the pistols I started with, and fires pretty much as fast as I can pull the trigger with the regular attack. Really enjoying killing hordes of rats, also I kind of laugh to myself every time some idiot pub decides to camp up in some place and snipe rats while the rest of the team jumps in to butcher them, then ends up getting dragged off by a packmaster and no one can reach them because once you jump in you can't get back up. I can't think of a better way to teach people to stick with their team than by having them be slowly dragged away and hanged by a giant rat.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
For some reason when I start a level everything is fine but after awhile while playing the level my performance gets worse and worse.

I even tried just standing in one place in a level and around 5-10 minutes later performance gets worse for seemingly no reason. Not a huge issue since it's beta but man, it's sad I can't enjoy it right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
Pubbies never use them but strength potions make killing storm vermin super easy. Using one you can kill a storm vermin in two fast attacks with a rapier.

• Locked thread