Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dislike button posted:

I was looking at the 350R with Sync which is over $65k. in any case we all have a wealth of options for whatever floats your boat.

I'm just looking at the non-R with the track pack. The only drawback for me is the ugly radio setup since you can't get anything else without the tech package. $55k isn't too bad for what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

fknlo posted:

I'm just looking at the non-R with the track pack. The only drawback for me is the ugly radio setup since you can't get anything else without the tech package. $55k isn't too bad for what it is.

Yeah I really hate the way those option packages work, at least make the upgraded radio/head unit a separate option. Plus I think in daily driving situations there isn't going to be much practical difference between a loaded Camaro SS and the 350 other than the price.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Dislike button posted:

Yeah I really hate the way those option packages work, at least make the upgraded radio/head unit a separate option. Plus I think in daily driving situations there isn't going to be much practical difference between a loaded Camaro SS and the 350 other than the price.

Outward visibility. :sun:

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Tide posted:

Anyone bought or knows anyone that has bought a car through Costco? Just curious as to how much they can knock off versus going in and spending several hours beating the salesman into submission.
Just one data point, but I got my WRX for 3% under invoice.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dislike button posted:

The configurator makes it look like you can do it too until you actually click on any of those options.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I think all these new super pony cars just get fast lap times by using unstreetable R-comp tires. You should probably still get a 996 turbo.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

I think all these new super pony cars just get fast lap times by using unstreetable R-comp tires. You should probably still get a 996 turbo.

I think the 996 turbo gets fast lap times by using the devil's coolant, you should probably get a 993 GT2.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Throatwarbler posted:

You should probably still get a 996 turbo.

Still shopping for one, just becoming less hopeful of finding one in a combo I want at a price that I want. Not gonna settle for arctic silver with a gray interior :barf:

So I've started considering other options.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

Still shopping for one, just becoming less hopeful of finding one in a combo I want at a price that I want. Not gonna settle for arctic silver with a gray interior :barf:

C6 ZR1

One of us. One of us. One of us.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Throatwarbler posted:

996 Turbo won't sound as cool, won't hold its value as well, and will be passé in a handful of years.

The GT350 isn't about being a great performance deal Mustang, if anything GM will drop a new Camaro model in a year or so that devours the GT350 on the track, just like every other generation. Rather, the GT350 is about basically getting a Ferrari V8 that's (Probably) much more reliable than a real Ferrari, and at a relative bargain price.

It's the qualitative things that really matter in a car being purchased for impractical reasons, which is also why the Abarth is the best hot hatch despite being the slowest around a race track.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

fknlo posted:

Vinyl wrap it to flat desert tan

edit: or an authentic puke green

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Oct 17, 2015

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Wheeee posted:

996 Turbo won't sound as cool, won't hold its value as well, and will be passé in a handful of years.

How could a 996 get any more passe or lose any more value than it already has? It has nowhere to go but up at this point.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

How could a 996 get any more passe or lose any more value than it already has? It has nowhere to go but up at this point.

R&T just did a great little blurb on this a couple days ago.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/news/a27049/the-case-for-buying-a-porsche-996/

..and I totally agree. They seem like awesome cars to have some fun with if you're in the $10-20k range. Between this and a C5-early C6 Corvette, for me it would be a no-brainer for the Porsche.

I can't imagine 996 values will stay low for long. Now is probably a good time to buy, but I don't think the base Carerras will ever be a collector's item because of the big production numbers.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

El Scotch posted:

Outward visibility. :sun:

What do you mean? I can see the screen of my cell phone just fine from the driver's seat

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Dislike button posted:

The sound.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

I'm really interested in hearing some aftermarket intake/exhaust setups on them.

I did drive a C6 Z06. I didn't really get to do much because the shithead salesperson was with me, so it didn't get a chance to make much of an impression :(

Throatwarbler posted:

Prices have gone up in just the couple of months I've been looking. A lot of cars are just sitting, but the more desirable colors with decent mileage seem to be going in the high $40 to low $50k range. I'm not trying to spend more than $45k on one though.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

fknlo posted:

I'm really interested in hearing some aftermarket intake/exhaust setups on them.

I did drive a C6 Z06. I didn't really get to do much because the shithead salesperson was with me, so it didn't get a chance to make much of an impression :(

Prices have gone up in just the couple of months I've been looking. A lot of cars are just sitting, but the more desirable colors with decent mileage seem to be going in the high $40 to low $50k range. I'm not trying to spend more than $45k on one though.

I've watched the prices climb a bit...but it's on the same cars that have been sitting already at a lower price.

I think outside the turbos that the price is still low, but that the turbo will actually appreciate here soon beyond the 2/7k rise that's being seen right now. And even those, outside of rare combos, are still just sitting.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

fknlo posted:

My wife and I went to test drive a new car a couple years ago and the salesman insisted on coming along. Whatever, no big deal. Was just an economy car, wasn't going to hoon it about or anything.

What ABSOLUTELY, 110% lost him any chance of a sale, is the motherfucker refused to sit in the back seat so my wife could ride in the front seat, the place she's likely to spend hundreds of hours if I bought the car, so that he could "tell me about all the features." She doesn't like confrontation so she just got in the back quietly and I carried on like I didn't want to punch this dude in the face for her benefit.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
So many GT350 reviews out now. It sounds sooooooo good. Might run around to a few different Ford dealers on my weekend.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

fknlo posted:

So many GT350 reviews out now. It sounds sooooooo good. Might run around to a few different Ford dealers on my weekend.

Dooo it. If I had the cash I'd be trading my Ecoboost in just for that sound. I don't even need to drive it just sit in the driveway and rev away.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Speaking of Mustangs, I drove a new Mustang GT with a 6-speed manual today. I've never really been a Mustang guy but drat the newest gen drives real nice, and that V8 :fap:. It hides its size very well (until you have to park it), and visibility isn't great, but overall a drat nice car, much more refined than I was expecting. I can think of a lot of worse ways to spend 30-35k.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 18, 2015

blk
Dec 19, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

I've watched the prices climb a bit...but it's on the same cars that have been sitting already at a lower price.

I think outside the turbos that the price is still low, but that the turbo will actually appreciate here soon beyond the 2/7k rise that's being seen right now. And even those, outside of rare combos, are still just sitting.

The NAs are appreciating too, mostly because of all the articles about IMS rescue kits out there in the past year or so.

A buddy of mine has one and I've considered it but I can't get past the headlights and overhangs. Maybe a Cayman or 997 some day.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Guinness posted:

Speaking of Mustangs, I drove a new Mustang GT with a 6-speed manual today. I've never really been a Mustang guy but drat the newest gen drives real nice, and that V8 :fap:. It hides its size very well (until you have to park it), and visibility isn't great, but overall a drat nice car, much more refined than I was expecting. I can think of a lot of worse ways to spend 30-35k.
I thought it was a pretty good way to spend $35k.
And yeah, that noise is insane.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

fknlo posted:

This has been my car-related conflict for a while. I absolutely love Porsches but the value proposition is awful. I've been considering the 997.2 C2S at ~$55k or the 997.1 TT in the $60-65k range. But you're looking at a 7-9 year old car making less power and is objectively slower than things like the GT350.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

This has been my car-related conflict for a while. I absolutely love Porsches but the value proposition is awful. I've been considering the 997.2 C2S at ~$55k or the 997.1 TT in the $60-65k range. But you're looking at a 7-9 year old car making less power and is objectively slower than things like the GT350.

Yeah, but you can't put a price on the cachet of being a Porsche wanker ;)

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Hell, they're probably slower than a base Mustang GT at this point. Another plus of the GT350 or any newer car is a warranty. The watercooled turbo cars are all pretty reliable, but when poo poo does break it's really loving expensive. A lot of the preventative stuff(pinning/welding coolant lines) isn't exactly cheap either since the engine has to come out for everything. And god forbid you do it yourself if you ever plan on selling the car. Oh, you changed your own oil? That'll be $10k off the price. If I find what I want in a 996TT I'll probably jump, but I'm going to start seriously considering other cars too. Just need to figure out what I want to look at.

GT350
Focus RS
M2
Morgan 3 Wheeler :pilot:
Exige S
???

I've pretty much completely discounted the Exige and Elise from the fear of someone looking at one of the clamshells wrong.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Presto posted:

If I had known 4Cs were that rare in the US I'd have taken a picture of the one parked in my neighborhood. I haven't seen it lately so I don't know if the owners moved out or if it just went all Alfa on them.

Quoting myself because it came back:

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/10/16/2016-chevrolet-camaro-first-drive-review-video/

If you look at the numbers the camaro v6 is an interesting car

Camaro v6 335hp/284lb ft | $31,000 | 3448lbs
BMW 340i 320hp/332lb ft | $47,000 | 3695lb!!

Then you realize a mustang GT is $32,000 and while its the porkiest of the bunch at 3700lbs you also have a big rear end v8 with 435hp and 400ft lb of torque. I just dont understand how camaros going to compete with that. Also the camaro steering wheel looks awful and i dont think i could stare at that thing all day.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Presto posted:

Quoting myself because it came back:

Back half looks like a Lotus, front half looks cringe inducing.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

They could use the Camaro platform and powertrain and put a sedan body on it... and call it the G8 2.0.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

coolskillrex remix posted:

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/10/16/2016-chevrolet-camaro-first-drive-review-video/

Then you realize a mustang GT is $32,000 and while its the porkiest of the bunch at 3700lbs you also have a big rear end v8 with 435hp and 400ft lb of torque. I just dont understand how camaros going to compete with that. Also the camaro steering wheel looks awful and i dont think i could stare at that thing all day.

I could give a flying gently caress about the steering wheel, I'm more interested in having some measure of outward visibility. I mean, I drove an FJ Cruiser for 3 years and the Camaro was unquestionably worse. That's just not acceptable.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

El Scotch posted:

They could use the Camaro platform and powertrain and put a sedan body on it... and call it the G8 2.0.

so a commodore/chevy SS then

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Enourmo posted:

Yes, but with an LT1 instead of an LS3. I bet this would solve the SS's rated fuel economy problem too, which has gotta be dragging down CAFE numbers and a major part of why they're letting it die.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

coolskillrex remix posted:

There's a big difference between 332ft/lbs and 284ft/lbs, especially when the BMWs is right from 1300 to 5000 RPM, and the camaro's peak is from 4500 to 4600rpm.

If you look at the numbers, a lot of cars look like great deals.

GT350 526hp/429lb ft | $47,000 | 3650lbs
DB9 510hp/460lb ft | $188,000 | 3935lb!!

You basically can't afford not to buy a GT350.

If you want to talk about numbers telling a story. Match the following vehicles to their performance specs: 335hp/3448lb V6 camaro, 268hp/3380lb subaru WRX, 384hp/5100lb mercedes GLE 450, 315hp/4400b ford edge sport, 240hp/3500lb BMW 328i. these cars are "underpowered" or "overweight" in comparison to the camaro.

Answer key:

A: V6 camaro
B: Ford edge sport
C: Mercedes GLE
D: BMW 328i
E: Subaru WRX

Twerk from Home posted:

Yes, but with an LT1 instead of an LS3. I bet this would solve the SS's rated fuel economy problem too, which has gotta be dragging down CAFE numbers and a major part of why they're letting it die.
Don't cafe numbers go by units sold though? last i checked, they were only selling a couple hundred a month.

edit: they sell more silverados in 5 days than they have chevrolet SSes in it's entire production run up until this point. they're only at about 1/4 of the SSR sales. At the current rate, it would take another 2 years of sales to match the SSRs peak year, or another 8 years at the current rate to match the SSRs 4 year production run.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 19, 2015

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Enourmo posted:

Yes, but with a new chassis, new engine and new transmission.

And less weight.

Seems like a win to me!

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Have you guys heard anything about heat soak issues in the C7 z06 and hellcat? The power isn't consistent apparently. You do a couple rips and your car will perform worse than it did when you started.

There's probably an argument to be made about getting a stock C7 so you can choose your own boost method that beats out the stock Z06 option.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

El Scotch posted:

Isn't that the ATS-V?
Or does that not use the same powertrain?

Cars and Coffee today: one dude brought his wife and they drove separately. Life must be nice, he drove a C7 Z06 (Z07) and she drove a C6 Z06.
Also met up with another couple S550s. There was a blue GT there when I drove up, but parking sucked. I went to move over the same area he was in later and the spot was too small, I got frustrated and left. As I was leaving saw a white EB drive up, swung a U-turn and went back in. The DIB owner walked over as we drove up and we chatted for a bit. Was fun.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 19, 2015

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Powershift posted:

If you want to talk about numbers telling a story. Match the following vehicles to their performance specs: 335hp/3448lb V6 camaro, 268hp/3380lb subaru WRX, 384hp/5100lb mercedes GLE 450, 315hp/4400b ford edge sport, 240hp/3500lb BMW 328i. these cars are "underpowered" or "overweight" in comparison to the camaro.

Holy poo poo the Edge Sport and the GLE can boogie for being big fat crossovers. Remind me again why we don't get the Chinese market Taurus, on the Fusion platform with the 2.7 V6 turbo?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ilkhan posted:

Isn't that the ATS-V?
Or does that not use the same powertrain?

The ATS-V uses the twin turbo V6 out of the CTS v-sport.

The CTS-V is on the same platform, just stretched, and still ends up at 4100lbs with the LT4 out of the Z06

Twerk from Home posted:

Holy poo poo the Edge Sport and the GLE can boogie for being big fat crossovers. Remind me again why we don't get the Chinese market Taurus, on the Fusion platform with the 2.7 V6 turbo?

FuST is coming.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Powershift posted:

Answer key:

A: V6 camaro
B: Ford edge sport
C: Mercedes GLE
D: BMW 328i
E: Subaru WRX

All I'm seeing here is that a Ford Edge is basically a BMW 3 series in SUV form.