Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
@radicalbytes, who is one of the creative minds behind feminist frequency, made a pretty entertaining list of board games with colonialist and racist themes.

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/655347654533124096

Of note on the list is the classic Puerto Rico, with free brown workers that come on ships, and goon (and personal) favorite archipelago, the game of pacifying the indigenous people with churches so that you can use your slavery card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Medium Style posted:

I am super interested in how the new victory condition from Ta-Seti works out if anyone has any experience. The final round is the only part of Kemet that feels off to me. I was excited about the expansion making a change but it looks like I don't need to buy it to play with that change. I don't really feel the base game needs more powers and I don't mind the turn order selection.

It's recommended that the new end game condition be used with the new method of determining turn order. I can see why; you can win the Dawn battle and position yourself in such a way that you can be the first person to break the threshold without taking an action. Defensive Victory allows you to go last with the possibility of winning a couple of battles against people trying to knock you off 7 VPs, while Slaves allows you to put yourself first for an instant unstoppable victory. Adding a little bit more strength to pyramid rush and turtling is a good balance change. (There's also a red promo tile which gives you a free move along the Path at Night that can do the same thing as Slaves, but most people won't have that.)

As for not needing more powers: you could always house rule that only three colours are available in any given game. Replacing white would remove all the discounts and most of the bonus PPs, but black has its own ways to generate PPs and also to starve other players of PPs. If blue is taken out then the game becomes absolutely savage as there will be lots of PPs available and two players will be able to field three full troops by using Mercenaries. Lastly, if red is removed you'll end up with a slower game; almost all the wall-breaking and teleport enhancements will be gone along with all the big damage, so positioning will be much more important. However, black again fills in the gaps in a different way.

I think it's worth listing all the black tiles so you can judge for yourself.

Level 1

Mercenaries (x2): Take three of the Mercenary figures and play them in your city. They are considered to be basic units.

Enforced Recruitment: When using the Recruit action you may add the units to any existing troop.

Dark Ritual: Gain a Gold action token. You may use the Gold space to Pray.

Level 2

Honour in Battle: At the end of a battle, you gain 1PP for each unit of yours that was destroyed by the opponent.

Dedication to Battle: When you use Move/Attack you gain 2PP if you move into a space with an enemy troop.

Khnum's Sphinx (Monster): Linked troop has +1 Move and +1 Strength. Opponents must pay an additional 2PP to move into a space occupied by Khnum's Sphinx.

Twin Ceremony. Gain a Gold action token. You may use the Gold space to reuse a Buy Tile action you have already used this turn, at an additional cost of 1PP.

Level 3

Griffin Sphinx (Monster): Linked troop has +2 Strength and may teleport from Obelisks.

Forced March: Gain a Gold action token. You may use the Gold space to Move/Attack.

Deadly Trap: When an opponent moves a troop into a space occupied by one of yours, he immediately destroys a unit in that troop.

Victory Point: 1VP

Level 4

Devourer (Monster): Linked troop has +1 Move, +1 Strength and is immune to damage dealt to it outside of Battle. If that troop wins a battle destroying at least two enemy units, you gain an additional Battle VP.

Bestial Fury: All your troops have +1 Move, +1 Strength and +1 Damage.

Divine Strength: Every time you gain PPs during the Day phase, gain 1 extra.

Act of God: Gain a Silver action token.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I always liked machi koro until I tried it with the expansion and then it was completely, utterly unplayable trash.

Basically, gently caress market rows.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Impermanent posted:

@radicalbytes, who is one of the creative minds behind feminist frequency, made a pretty entertaining list of board games with colonialist and racist themes.

Of note on the list is the classic Puerto Rico, with free brown workers that come on ships, and goon (and personal) favorite archipelago, the game of pacifying the indigenous people with churches so that you can use your slavery card.

"Pop culture critic" must be the easiest loving job in the world. Also saying boardgame groups are predominantly white because of colonialism themes in some games is incredibly reductive.

Good list, though.

cenotaph fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 18, 2015

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

No Fire in the Lake, 0/10

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I wonder if FitL would qualify as uncritically using colonialism, seeing as it is at least one player's job to keep Veitnam independent.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Impermanent posted:

I wonder if FitL would qualify as uncritically using colonialism, seeing as it is at least one player's job to keep Veitnam independent.

It's 3 players' jobs to keep Vietnam controlled by the Vietnamese!

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Jedit posted:

Ta-Seti

Okay, I'm sold. Maybe Kemet doesn't need more powers, but playing a game with different powers would add variety to the usual strategies.

Thanks for the info. I want to play Kemet now.

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!
What makes Machi Koro any different from being just the part of Catan everybody hates for being unreliable bullshit. Because that's what the game looks like at a glance.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Robust Laser posted:

What makes Machi Koro any different from being just the part of Catan everybody hates for being unreliable bullshit. Because that's what the game looks like at a glance.

Plays in 10 minutes instead of 2 hours.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

cenotaph posted:

"Pop culture critic" must be the easiest loving job in the world. Also saying boardgame groups are predominantly white because of colonialism themes in some games is incredibly reductive.

Good list, though.

I don't know why he has the table-flip emoji on the game about the Zulus? Maybe the game has more racist stuff than I saw there, but I don't think that playing a wargame about the British fighting the Zulus is any more racist than playing a wargame about crusader knights fighting Muslims or Axis and Allies whatever.

I mean, yeah, it's interpreting a battle from a colonialist conflict, but wargamers generally like playing out battles from all eras of history without regard for which side was morally in the right. It's not like playing the Nazis in A&A makes you a Nazi.

But like I said, I don't really know about the game and maybe there is something more than could be explained in a tweet.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Malt posted:

Plays in 10 minutes instead of 2 hours.

basically this

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Jimbozig posted:

I don't know why he has the table-flip emoji on the game about the Zulus? Maybe the game has more racist stuff than I saw there, but I don't think that playing a wargame about the British fighting the Zulus is any more racist than playing a wargame about crusader knights fighting Muslims or Axis and Allies whatever.

I mean, yeah, it's interpreting a battle from a colonialist conflict, but wargamers generally like playing out battles from all eras of history without regard for which side was morally in the right. It's not like playing the Nazis in A&A makes you a Nazi.

But like I said, I don't really know about the game and maybe there is something more than could be explained in a tweet.

I'm not sure why approaching these subjects uncritically is supposed to be a bad thing, honestly. I agree about wargames. I play plenty of wargames and I certainly don't need to be told that the Nazis (or the Imperial Japanese, Soviets or Western Capitalists for that matter) were bad every time they come up. It would get old quickly. In fact I think most wargamers avoid moral judgement for the most part, especially when you go further back in history. Not everything has to be a critical discussion.

The only game on the list I'm actually familiar with is Puerto Rico and I do have a problem with how it weasels out and calls the brown discs "colonists." Either be honest about the time period or retheme it to something else which, in the case of Puerto Rico, could be anything about goods production or sales. Glorifying the subject matter, as the quoted text (presumably from the back of the box) suggests at least some of these games do, is also a problem.

I like the tweet further down where the guy asks him to tweet about games with other cultures' imperialism. There certainly are a few. Here I Stand has the Ottomans sacking Europe and screwing around in North Africa, for instance.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I opened a game of Codenames with a successful 4 clue. Punk: 4 got England, Rock, Pistol and Thief.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

sector_corrector posted:

I opened a game of Codenames with a successful 4 clue. Punk: 4 got England, Rock, Pistol and Thief.

HURRY UP REPRINT I CAN'T TAKE THIS MUCH LONGER.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

homullus posted:

HURRY UP REPRINT I CAN'T TAKE THIS MUCH LONGER.

I bought it on the day it came out at a local game store, and almost got something else instead. I'm pretty satisfied with my decision.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
My FLGS still hasn't gotten any Codenames in despite having it on preorder for like a month.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
My other option was Castles of Mad King Ludwig, so I think that I still would've had fun, but I'm very happy to have Codenames.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOGOMIzl7Nk

Check out that self shuffling Mahjong table :eyepop:

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
I won a game of Codenames in the most amazing way. It wasn't by giving a great clue, though. It was with terrible awful clues.

I said "billiards 2" for Bar and Bridge.

But I didn't think of the fact that Table and Play were on the board. So of course he gets it wrong.

Later, I said "underground 2" to connect Dinosaur and Marble, missing the fact that Mine was on the board. Of course he grabs Mine.

So next turn the other team has one card left, and I still have Bar, Bridge, Marble, Dinosaur, and Pin. I say "needle unlimited" and my brother-in-law manages to think back to my terrible clues and pick up all 5 for the win.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

I watched one where he's playing The Company War, which I'd gotten in a math trade back before they were solved. He's filming and the door bell rings and he starts yelling at his wife to get the door and finally he gets up and it cuts to him back in his chair and pissed at her for not answering the door fast enough while he tapes his internet game review and i realize he didn't cut ANY of it.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

canyoneer posted:

You can probably find one of these in your local Chinatown. You can also buy them. They're pretty neat. This is not a particularly fancy model.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So I played Dominoes and Agricola with the neighbors. They really seem to like Dominoes, and they seem to understand Agricola better than Lords of Waterdeep, or at least enjoy it better. We only played the family version, of course, and it worked out pretty well. Only one person got a begging card, and only because I neglected to tell him 4 sheep don't breed twice.

We will likely play a lot more Dominoes, but I don't expect to get them playing Agricola again voluntarily.

canyoneer posted:

This thing is for noobs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzcmCvOM2KY

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Oct 18, 2015

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

I finally played some Dominion yesterday.

I understand the hype.

Too much drat shuffling though. I need to learn to shuffle properly.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Rutibex posted:

So I played Dominoes and Agricola with the neighbors. They really seem to like Dominoes, and they seem to understand Agricola better than Lords of Waterdeep, or at least enjoy it better. We only played the family version, of course, and it worked out pretty well. Only one person got a begging card, and only because I neglected to tell him 4 sheep don't breed twice.

We will likely play a lot more Dominoes, but I don't expect to get them playing Agricola again voluntarily.

This thing is for noobs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzcmCvOM2KY

Man it's been AGES since I played Mah Jong. I used to really enjoy it.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Okay so if you're playing pictomania and someone draws this:

What do you guess?

Because not one loving person got Star Trek.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Impermanent posted:

I agree that there is an issue with games whitewashing colonialism in board game but (and it might be because I live in London) board gaming has been pretty much the nerd hobby where I've seen the most diversity in any nerd hobby ever. X-wing, on the other hand, is completely filled with white guys.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Krazyface posted:

What do you guess?

I guess the other fingers could have been closer together, because I didn't really get it at a glance.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Krazyface posted:

What do you guess?

Yeah, that would be my first guess.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

canyoneer posted:

Yeah these are super expensive but oh god we've wanted one ever since learning how to play riichi.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Krazyface posted:

What do you guess?

Bad mitten

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hah, makes me want to draw a mitten and a thumbs down next time I get that clue.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I'm looking for a board game recommendation for me to play with my girlfriend. She's usually only plays games like Monopoly and Trivial Pursuit, but I'd like to try something more nerdy, so I'm looking for something not too hard to get into, with cooperative gameplay. I'd prefer something with a modular board, and maybe a cool horror theme. Any good ideas?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Modular and horror. Main problem is that most of the games in that cross-set suck balls. Does Eldritch Horror play okay with two?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

silvergoose posted:

Modular and horror. Main problem is that most of the games in that cross-set suck balls. Does Eldritch Horror play okay with two?

It works with 2, but if you're gonna play with 2, I'd suggest each person control two investigators each to help the odds of winning.

With only two people on the board, there are a few events that just require you to be in too many places at once.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Well, I don't know of any coops other than Mage Knight where two players should control less than 2 characters each. Maybe pandemic and its spinoffs (Forbidden Island).

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

thespaceinvader posted:

Man it's been AGES since I played Mah Jong. I used to really enjoy it.

I learned to play among people who had all been playing basically their entire lives, and MJ remains the most stressful tabletop gaming I have ever done by a wide margin. Just keeping up with the pace of play took constant 100% concentration game after game after game, it was exhausting.

There was also a thing where the temptation for players is to (for example) just count up your points for you or flat out tell you how much you owe no time to step through how that got counted up so the noob learns anything he'll pick it up where he can gottagofast

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mister Sinewave posted:

I learned to play among people who had all been playing basically their entire lives, and MJ remains the most stressful tabletop gaming I have ever done by a wide margin. Just keeping up with the pace of play took constant 100% concentration game after game after game, it was exhausting.

There was also a thing where the temptation for players is to (for example) just count up your points for you or flat out tell you how much you owe no time to step through how that got counted up so the noob learns anything he'll pick it up where he can gottagofast

Chinese or Japanese? Chinese, yeah, that was my first experience too, and holy poo poo when I can't even understand the banter since they were all Chinese...

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Impermanent posted:

Archipelago isn't racist, I don't know what they are....

Nevermind then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
On some level I'm vaguely aware of MJ being a far and wide game but I don't have a clue what Japanese MJ is like. I've only a vague idea what the other billion or so variants of Chinese MJ are like either for that matter :haw: