Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Gilganixon posted:

He'll only add +1 to the dufus reptile in charge of comms though. Still, it is was his shuttle.

Why would he like to sit in that garbage shuttle when he has the makings of an honorary Caiman! I have good feelings about this Hugh Mann. Let him stay in his own private swamp with all the rot wine he can drink and all the skinks he can eat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Looks like Media and Valet it is.

Final question - how fast do we want to get there? We have 122 energy and a navigation skill of 7. We could spend 60 energy to save 7 days, meaning we'll arrive on day 24. The minimum we can spend is 10 energy to make it a 10 day jump (anything less and we'll arrive after the aliens). This is taking Crocheart's energy saving ability into account.

So, slowest possible, max speed, or something in between (between 10 and 60 energy?). If you want to go into overdrive we can also get the Valet to grab the wheel, which will let us use up to 80 energy but possibly get him eaten and leave his power unavailable for the next sector (and use most of our fuel as well). Could possibly be worth it to gain the extra time though.

Your call!

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 16, 2015

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
spend 60 energy so that we have more time to gently caress around

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Hogge Wild posted:

This

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Hogge Wild posted:

Balls to the wall. We can steal more energy later.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Hogge Wild posted:

This or Overdrive. This is called Void Racers, not Void Laziers..... Well that, didn't quite work, but you get the point.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Hogge Wild posted:

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Hogge Wild posted:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Hogge Wild posted:

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
60 energy

What are the options like for the human? This was bit before my time, so can't say I know.

Hi name is Rowdy and he's a drunk, though, so he sounds like a perfect candidate for Lido deck bartender.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Sanguine posted:

60 energy

What are the options like for the human? This was bit before my time, so can't say I know.

Hi name is Rowdy and he's a drunk, though, so he sounds like a perfect candidate for Lido deck bartender.

All aliens are general scum, you can send them on away missions and that's about it. There's a chance given the choices we've made that they will be more helpful a bit later on. (and the lido's closed because some Cattes broke it)

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Breaking keyfabe here for a sec so don't read unless you want your suspension of disbelief ruined: this sector is written by Applewhite so I have even less idea of what's going to happen next than usual.

Update:

We're going to put a valet into the shuttle, adding +1 to the comms officer's expertise until he's shot down or told to get back on board.

Here's our lucky volunteer, randomly selected from the three leftover valets:

This is a good use for him because if you remember, valets are a lot less useful than they used to be thanks to our economic collapse. If our current valet gets eaten he has a good chance of being replaced with a useless croc who wants a job.

Here's the complete page that we were on:

We're going to Media but first as we've met "Rowdy" we turn to 84:

Then to Media at last, 394.

We get there in good time. It's day 24 so we have nearly a week to mess around in this sector.

We have a broken lido deck, wrecked shields and a non-functioning cloacaing device. We passed the CRAPULENCE check, no valets were eaten, and Dented Garrrn the shield officer continues to be wastefully useful with 6 EXPERTISE and 2 FISTS.

Sorry for the info dump but it's time to introduce the final game mechanic - repairs.
[quote = "repairs"]
Each bit of damage is assigned a number of days' repair. Any time your ship isn't doing anything else you can spend time on repair work. Your engineer will conduct repairs at a rate of their EXPERTISE plus FISTS per stellar day - roll this once per sector unless a crew ability or the book says otherwise.
If you want to use the valet for repairs, they will do only one day of repairs per sector. You will need to roll for the engineer separately.
Hull damage can only be repaired using special equipment or in a properly equipped shipyard - engineers can't restore the structural integrity of the ship, just its sub-systems.
If there is any damage to the ship with a rating of 12 or above then no ship upgrades will function until this is repaired.
[/quote]

We need to decide what to do next.

Current starship manifest:

We are here:

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Oct 17, 2015

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Use the Hull Repair Kit and monitor the alien communications while the repairs are underway. Task SuGaBa, the human, and maybe our comms officer with deciphering the alien language.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Go for the throat and demand tribute from the species.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Use the Hull Repair Kit and monitor the alien communications while the repairs are underway. Task SuGaBa, the human, and maybe our comms officer with deciphering the alien language.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Sounds good to me!

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

https://www.presidentbaby.com
Something tells me the people of Media love a good story.

Once we crack their language, let's broadcast that there's a giant interstellar death fleet coming. Send them footage of our battles, interviews with the Discobot, Owl & Human, whatever proof we can. For once, let's try to be honest.

Then, let's tell them that if they can provide us resources, we can complete our superweapon: the mighty twin "La'ater Loasers."

If we can just get enough energy, ore, snacks, women and fun games to play, we can stop the enemy from overrunning their system. We can save Media. And THEY'LL be heroes, too!

I'm pretty sure you can all figure out what we do next.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Hull repair kit will take a full day to repair the 1 point of hull damage we've taken, the shields and the lido deck are a bigger problem imo. Or you can hope the civilisation(s) ahead know how to fix those problems for you, up to y'all

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I agree that the hull is less important. We have beaten the other major species and we can't fight and win against the aliens anyway. We won't be in a serious fight for a while.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

If anyone is thinking about following this thread but has been put off by the amount of stuff that has already happened, here is a summary.

summary posted:

Just over three weeks ago mysterious maggot-like aliens called "Sexless Threshers" destroyed the homeworld of the Caiman Republic, a race of hideous crocodiles and their reptilian servants. Playing as the captain of the Caimen's only starship (the Supergalactic) we have been given some vague directions to a planet deep in an unexplored patch of space called the Void Nebula where the Threshers won't be able to pursue us. We fled to the Haldus sector, encountering primitive plant-like aliens called Haldians which we enslaved before destroying their homeworld. We then jumped to Becrux, a radioactive system where we encountered the Disco Alliance. They kidnapped several of our crew in a rigged dance contest and fled to Arich, where we caught up with them. Our ship AI (SuGaBA) cooked up a virus that fried their ship and after a short but tense battle we were victorious. The next jump was to Atlas, a chokepoint for all the races fleeing these aliens. Caiman society collapsed thanks to the crookedness of the senior officers and feudalism made a comeback on the ship. We arrived at Atlas just in time to fall into a Catte Empire ambush. They hit us with bombers, taking out our shields, and tried to flee before we could retaliate. We fought a tense battle with them which resulted in them being destroyed and humiliated, in that order. In the process we also lost the ship lido deck (a combination of swamp, bar and brothel). We have now arrived in the Media system, inhabited by an unknown advanced (but pre-jump drive) civilisation.

This game has fairly complex mechanics for a gamebook but you don't need to know much about those. Ships in this game are closer to Star Trek than Star Wars - unshielded ships are very vulnerable to being melted. Ships have a finite amount of energy which you use to make actions like firing a weapon or entering jump-space more powerful. Fights are usually very fast and very deadly, and even winners can run low on energy or take a lot of damage. Maybe most importantly we need to stay ahead of the Threshers - the game day they will enter each sector is shown on the map, and if we're in that sector past that day it's game over.

That's probably all you need to know, if you've got any questions you can PM me or ask ITT or just write whatever you want after the update. Hopefully this makes it easier to get stuck in if you're interested. The second post in this thread always has the current date, location, status sheets, equipment and crew for reference.

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 17, 2015

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Focus on Repairs. Head to the planet with the construction, see if we can't find a way to help ourselves to some useful loot.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
fix the lido

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
fix the cloak

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

It's been a slow day, so I figure you all have richer and more fulfilling lives than mine. So far, making some repairs while we monitor the comms is the most popular option but I'll leave it open and get the update to you either later on tonight or early tomorrow.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Fix the lido deck while doing the things I already mentioned. Taking a day to perform the various repairs we need while eavesdropping on the Media still seems like a good idea. With the repair kit it seems like we should be able to take care of the hull and the lido deck simultaneously.

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

Let's fix the shields as fast as the game will allow us -- we can handle increased crapulance, but we can't handle a firefight like this.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Asterios posted:

Let's fix the shields as fast as the game will allow us -- we can handle increased crapulance, but we can't handle a firefight like this.

Lido effects expertise (-1 to all crew and the captain for all tasks, including combat) but if you think you're going to get shot at it might be worth getting those shields online. With 25 points of repairs if we use the valet it will probably take 1 day for the lido and another 2 days for the shields, but we could get lucky.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Gilganixon posted:

With 25 points of repairs if we use the valet it will probably take 1 day for the lido and another 2 days for the shields, but we could get lucky.

Sounds like a plan.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Fix lido deck, then shields.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

Hogge Wild posted:

Fix lido deck, then shields.
We have a week in this sector, right. It'd be unwise to proceed without first fixing these two.

Do the inhabitants of Media know we're here?

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Asterios posted:

Something tells me the people of Media love a good story.

Once we crack their language, let's broadcast that there's a giant interstellar death fleet coming. Send them footage of our battles, interviews with the Discobot, Owl & Human, whatever proof we can. For once, let's try to be honest.

Then, let's tell them that if they can provide us resources, we can complete our superweapon: the mighty twin "La'ater Loasers."

If we can just get enough energy, ore, snacks, women and fun games to play, we can stop the enemy from overrunning their system. We can save Media. And THEY'LL be heroes, too!

I'm pretty sure you can all figure out what we do next.

This is a good strategy.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Mechanism Eight posted:

We have a week in this sector, right. It'd be unwise to proceed without first fixing these two.

Do the inhabitants of Media know we're here?

Nah, they're not onto us yet I think

Update

Yesterday's completed page.

We do the sensible thing and spy on their radio chatter (287)

The comms guy's Crapulence was 4 and now increases to 6. He will automatically fail any future CRAPULENCE checks. Ship's CRAPULENCE is now 11 - still ok but looking a little shaky. If we fail a CRAPULENCE check we start losing HULL points.

While all this is going on we carry out repairs. I used the Valet and got lucky with the rolls, so our shields and lido deck are repaired in just two days total. After we use the Hull repair kit we're looking as good as new apart from all the dead crew and the radiation leak. The Cloacaing device is ready to go again, the shields work and we can take advantage of the Alien Shuttle upgrade.

What is the next move?

Here's the adventure sheet:

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 18, 2015

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Contact the leaders, con them out of supplies and slaves refugees

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Tell them we're the sexless threshers and we'll destroy their homeworld unless they cough up bitches and riches.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Drag the owl, the human, and the discobot up to the bridge for a photo-op as we introduce ourselves to the aliens as Space Fleet, a progressive and multispecies organization devoted to protecting the galaxy from the Sexless Threshers. Explain that we need all the help they can give us in order to battle the threat posed to all sentient life by the Sexless Threshers, then milk them dry of everything they have of value and blow out of the system.

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Drag the owl, the human, and the discobot up to the bridge for a photo-op as we introduce ourselves to the aliens as Space Fleet, a progressive and multispecies organization devoted to protecting the galaxy from the Sexless Threshers. Explain that we need all the help they can give us in order to battle the threat posed to all sentient life by the Sexless Threshers, then milk them dry of everything they have of value and blow out of the system.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Fix the lido and shields. The hull damage we've sustained is minor and unimportant. Then

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Yes this

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

changing vote to this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

almost1337
Jun 14, 2013

The male likpatons turn around the nucleus formed of female boobons and neutral bolsterons
Toss our now useless comms officer into the shuttle.

• Locked thread