Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So I've decided to play through Oblivion but I am spoiled from this OP. What are some must have/awesome mods for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Woolie Wool posted:

Racemenu, definitely. I used ECE on my first playthrough and I regretted it, there are a lot of things that work properly with RaceMenu but not ECE.

It used to be possible to use both together to more or less get their combined benefits... but it's totally pointless now because RaceMenu is so ridiculously more advanced, and there's basically nothing you could think of that it can't do.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I've got a fairly barebones setup for my new game, and I wanted to try some new stuff. Don't want to try ENBs, but if anyone has some good Imaginator settings I'm interested. Here's what I've got currently:

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esm
Dawnguard.esm
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esm
Hearthfire.esm
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esm
Dragonborn.esm
Unofficial Dragonborn.esm
SPERG.esm
HighResTexturePack01.esp
HighResTexturePack02.esp
HighRestTexturePack03.esp
Unofficial High Res Texture Pack Patch.esp
Brawl Bugs Patch Compatibility Edition.esp
Weapons and Armor Fixes Remade.esp
Improved Closed Face Helmets.esp
Weapons and Armor Fixes Remade Dawnguard @ Dragonborn patches
SkyUI.esp
Passive Weapon Enchantment.esp
Dragon Soul Relinquishment.esp
TradeBarter.esp
SPERG-DB.esp
SPERG-DG.esp
SPERG.esp
RaceMenu.esp
RaceMenuPlugins.esp
Alternate Start: Live Another Life.esp

I definitely want to get some of Insanity Sorrow's Weapon Mods, the Immersive Armors collection and Cabal's retextures. Other things I've looked at include Immersive Patrols and Amazing Follower Tweaks. Anything else that should be considered necessary? I'm not sure which climate mod to try out, and I want to try some new gameplay tweaking mods.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Anita Dickinme posted:

So I've decided to play through Oblivion but I am spoiled from this OP. What are some must have/awesome mods for it?
Better idea: don't play through Oblivion.

Seriously that game has not aged well.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Anita Dickinme posted:

Play Nehrim instead.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Skwirl posted:

Play Nehrim instead.

Please do this. Please do not play Oblivion.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I remember when Oblivion came out I was the only person I could find outside fuckin RPGCodex that didn't like it, and now it seems like everyone agrees that it was a terrible misstep. I'm glad but it's very confusing

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I like it more than skyrim since the spell schools arent compleatly hosed in it. Though skyrim has nicely exploding fireballs where as oblivion you just fire out orange farts.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I remember when Oblivion came out I was the only person I could find outside fuckin RPGCodex that didn't like it, and now it seems like everyone agrees that it was a terrible misstep. I'm glad but it's very confusing
Well compared to Daggerfall and Morrowind, Oblivion is at least playable. You can see further than five yards in front of you and you don't have to roll dice to hit things!

...the bar for first person medieval fantasy RPGs wasn't very high back then, okay?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I remember I bought Oblivion when it came out on PC when I could barely run it. Stupid small stuff would cause the game to crash, with mods just walking around would cause the drat thing to crash, i'm surprised anybody tried modding anything successfully in it. That Francesco's mod was the only overall extra content mod I saw at the time, and the game just could not handle mods right.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I want to play Shivering Isles and the Dark Brotherhood. :(

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

To be fair, Oblivion is objectively better than..

uh...

bayou billy

Mecheon
Nov 27, 2007

And that was when Ecco realised the world just fucking hates dolphins.
Oblivion does have a much, much better Thieves guild quest line than Skyrim, but considering Skyrim's one that's faint praise

Also there was that one Dark Brotherhood quest everyone liked.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Mecheon posted:

Oblivion does have a much, much better Thieves guild quest line than Skyrim, but considering Skyrim's one that's faint praise

Also there was that one Dark Brotherhood quest everyone liked.

I'll give you that. Breaking in and stealing an actual Elder scroll was pretty cool compared to the stupid infighting in skyrim.

The whole, waiting until the Gray Fox would give you your next job through a cutout was annoying though, because using the wait for time to pass function, just so that it would interrupt it and have a creepy argonian show up and make your camera zoom into him and tell you your next job scared the poo poo out of me.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
For all the people adding gargantuan quest mods, it really bums me out no one has tackled making the Thieves Guild good and cohesive. At leat people have TRIED to do things to Dark Brotherhood.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
I want to say it's because Thieves' Guild is actually pretty decent up the point where it goes "lol Daedric cult" and rest goes so retard no one is willing to do the entire thing from scratch. Real reason is probably related to Thieves (and Companions) being relatively mundane so they don't have a huge fanbase - compared to Brotherhood at least.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I hope the guy who did the Crafting and now Cooking and Alchemy overhaul gets around to doing Enchanting at some point. Of all the bad skills in the base game, Enchanting is by far the worst in my opinion. I don't think I've ever really used it until I got it to 100, as my enchants always seemed far, far inferior to the dropped items I would find. It's also the most tedious to level, where there are not one but three parameters to set when spam enchanting rings and junk.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Arcsquad12 posted:

I definitely want to get some of Insanity Sorrow's Weapon Mods, the Immersive Armors collection and Cabal's retextures. Other things I've looked at include Immersive Patrols and Amazing Follower Tweaks. Anything else that should be considered necessary?

Guard Dialogue Overhaul.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

GuyUpNorth posted:

I want to say it's because Thieves' Guild is actually pretty decent up the point where it goes "lol Daedric cult" and rest goes so retard no one is willing to do the entire thing from scratch. Real reason is probably related to Thieves (and Companions) being relatively mundane so they don't have a huge fanbase - compared to Brotherhood at least.

Also the fact that in vanilla you get the best item halfway through and then have to give it up to continue the questline.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
How the hell do I actually use a tent to warm up (or at least get less cold) with Frostfall? I have a tent right in front of a lit fire pit (whichever one I place second is yellow) but the only messages I get are about the shelter keeping me from getting colder because it's not warmed and the fire keeping me from getting colder because the heat isn't trapped. It's a leather tent, but I thought I'd still be able to eliminate my "cold" penalty.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
A leather tent is good for keeping the rain out, but fur is better at trapping heat.

E: But hey, if you can maintain the status quo long enough for it to become day, maybe you're alright?

Philippe fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Oct 18, 2015

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
cool thanks for telling me the vague thing that i explicitly said i already knew

I just found the actual documentation of the breakpoints, and I guess leather can't eliminate the cold penalty, although it can take you from "Very Cold" to "Cold".

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

GrumpyDoctor posted:

How the hell do I actually use a tent to warm up (or at least get less cold) with Frostfall? I have a tent right in front of a lit fire pit (whichever one I place second is yellow) but the only messages I get are about the shelter keeping me from getting colder because it's not warmed and the fire keeping me from getting colder because the heat isn't trapped. It's a leather tent, but I thought I'd still be able to eliminate my "cold" penalty.

Dunno what you're loving up with the placement, but a fur tent's pro is that it keeps you warm even without a fire. Well, you'll wake up shivering, but it'll still let you warm up from the brink of death and survive a night's rest in the Pale.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Play Nehrim instead.
I tried this out and then remembered something: Oblivion runs like poo poo on modern computers.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

GrumpyDoctor posted:

cool thanks for telling me the vague thing that i explicitly said i already knew

I just found the actual documentation of the breakpoints, and I guess leather can't eliminate the cold penalty, although it can take you from "Very Cold" to "Cold".

I'm fine about being wrong and unhelpful.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Man, the guy who does Follower Voicetypes Expanded is kindof a choad. He seems to enjoy giving really vague "funny" descriptions and then bitching at people when they have questions.

I just updated and the ESP requires EFF even though it says it's compatible with several things. I find someone has already asked this in his comments and he just quoted something that I can't find him having said and acted like it was really loving obvious.

...of course, it doesn't actually answer the question.

Oh wait, I found what he's talking about! He's talking about the update notes for a PREVIOUS version! Even though the main description says it's compatible with other mods too.

boy, this isn't worth the bother.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Chaltab posted:

I tried this out and then remembered something: Oblivion runs like poo poo on modern computers.

What's it do out of curiosity? I haven't played it since Nehrim. Skyrim itself took some messing with to get working right because the whole engine isn't designed for modern computers to begin with.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

What's it do out of curiosity? I haven't played it since Nehrim. Skyrim itself took some messing with to get working right because the whole engine isn't designed for modern computers to begin with.

Oblivion only uses one CPU core, and that's not really enough even now for a CPU heavy game like Oblivion.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Is there a way to tell it to use more cores, or is that beyond the scope of modding?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

BattleCattle posted:

Is there a way to tell it to use more cores, or is that beyond the scope of modding?

It's definitely not something you can do with the TESCS. If the code isn't made for running parallelized on multiple cores, then the only way to make it do that is to write a new engine.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Bethesda should write a new engine.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Bethesda should license the Witcher 3 engine because I wouldn't trust them to write their own.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

What's it do out of curiosity? I haven't played it since Nehrim.
I'm not having a lot of crashing or anything, it's just I have to turn the graphics settings down to medium or lower to get a tolerable framerate.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Hey is there a mod that plays laugh tracks or the Seinfeld theme whenever a guard says the "arrow in the knee" line?

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Hey is there a mod that plays laugh tracks or the Seinfeld theme whenever a guard says the "arrow in the knee" line?

No, but there's a mod that will kill them.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Yes, but it doesn't work.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
Is there some way I can get money weight with Coin Replacer Redux?

Carsius
May 7, 2013

The version of this for Nazeem is brilliant.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

I admit I've repeatedly activated guards until they said that line, so they'd be killed, so that I could then commit a crime without anyone seeing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Grit
Jul 16, 2006

GrumpyDoctor posted:

Is there some way I can get money weight with Coin Replacer Redux?

In the "optional files" section?

• Locked thread