Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

OctoberBlues posted:

This was like the most popular lunch when I was a kid at school in Iowa. It wasn't that you eat it together or anything like that, you just eat chili then eat a cinnamon roll for dessert. (in Iowa anyway) It's not bad.

As far as I've seen, "chili with a cinnamon roll" is a staple school lunch in Midwestern rural povertyland.

And yes, you do dip the cinnamon roll in the chili and you love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Humphreys posted:

Yeah you were trolled.

Most of the time I spent in bars in Hawaii and when the locals discovered I was an Aussie, i spent a lot of time explaining that NO you do not spread it thick. You butter your toast then Vegemite for color if that makes sense (as little as possible). The rest of the bar talk was that we all dont give a poo poo about Jared Hayne.

I had it the regular intended way and I'll still never forget how loving foul it tasted

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Humphreys posted:

I checked before I ordered. Was kinda tentative about eating anything SPAM related. I hated it as a kid and it was a forced staple for my family during WW2 in UK from what they told me. Our tour driver 'garfield' talked it up so I gave it a go.

EDIT:
For content, if I have avocados I will spread them to my Vegemite toast. Amazing but looks aweful - green and black.

Mate an army trick my mate said that is legit - buttered and vegemited toast to preference, then a runny yolk poached egg on top. Puncture egg yolk, let yolk smother bread, eat. I tried it its p good, the salty vegemite works well with the egg, a touch of cracked pepper is the only thing you need

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Humphreys posted:

I checked before I ordered. Was kinda tentative about eating anything SPAM related. I hated it as a kid and it was a forced staple for my family during WW2 in UK from what they told me. Our tour driver 'garfield' talked it up so I gave it a go.

EDIT:
For content, if I have avocados I will spread them to my Vegemite toast. Amazing but looks aweful - green and black.

Spam fritters are the greatest food known to humanity. Try them sometime.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Tony Bologna posted:

It'll gently caress you up, and that's coming a kid whose family's idea of chili was this. Imagine if I was eating chili that was edible.

I will not stand for this kind of outrageous slander. Here is my mother's real chili recipe:

-1 pound ground beef
-1 jar mild salsa (whichever brand was on sale last year that we bought a case of)
-Beans (any)

Serve with raw white onion and Jiffy cornbread.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Minarch posted:

I will not stand for this kind of outrageous slander. Here is my mother's real chili recipe:

-1 pound ground beef
-1 jar mild salsa (whichever brand was on sale last year that we bought a case of)
-Beans (any)

This is worthy of CPS call.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Minarch posted:

-1 pound ground beef
-Beans (any)

Same, but with rinsed-off long grain rice.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Humphreys posted:

EDIT:

Try Spam Lite. It's got less calories and sodium (only 660 calories per can instead of over 1000!), so it has a much less salty flavor and you don't start to feel full after a few slices. I usually add Tabasco to it.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Try Spam Lite. It's got less calories and sodium (only 660 calories per can instead of over 1000!), so it has a much less salty flavor and you don't start to feel full after a few slices. I usually add Tabasco to it.

Thus undoing the lower salt?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

As far as I've seen, "chili with a cinnamon roll" is a staple school lunch in Midwestern rural povertyland.

And yes, you do dip the cinnamon roll in the chili and you love it

I knew a weird kid in 3rd grade who liked to dip cheese poofs in chocolate pudding and eat them as loudly and messily as possible

Now I live in the midwest and am constantly bombarded with "deep fried everything" and overweight people eating ice cream while wearing ill-fitting clothing and no deodorant huffing and puffing like goddamn dehydrated water buffalo

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Posted by a friend on Facebook with the caption "Second Lunch"

I don't know what the gently caress, but it looks like fried chicken in a cup of gravy with a straw... Ugh...

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

EZipperelli posted:

I don't know what the gently caress, but it looks like fried chicken in a cup of gravy with a straw... Ugh...

Looks like a lovely apple crumble.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

That you can drink, apparently

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Sodium Chloride posted:

it is the best looking apple-crumble-in-a-rocks-glass I have ever seen

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

EZipperelli posted:

Sodium Chloride posted:

Please ask them why the straw. I need to know.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

cash crab posted:

Please ask them why the straw. I need to know.

Venting prevents explosion.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

Sodium Chloride posted:

:gonk: This just brought back a memory of a 3rd grade classmate drinking her applesauce with a straw. The sound was disgusting.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

EZipperelli posted:

Looks like baked beans at the bottom to boot. Wonder how well that works with the straw.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I dunno why, but something about that makes me think "lychee"

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Data Graham posted:

Spam is a way common thing in Hawaiian cuisine. Surprised you didn't get it in your loco moco.

Spam does not belong in loco moco. I realize the stereotype is there, but even people on EBT will insist on hamburger steak.

Samizdata posted:

Looks like baked beans at the bottom to boot. Wonder how well that works with the straw.

Either finely-chopped apples, or somebody dumped a fruit cup in it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Samizdata posted:

Thus undoing the lower salt?

The sodium content itself won't be excessive unless you have a medical condition or are eating a very salty diet normally. It just gives regular Spam a distinctive salty taste that easily drives away a lot of people.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Apple crumble cocktails are apparently a thing, but it looks like they took it to a whole new terrible level.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Plinkey posted:

So I'm having some people over for football tomorrow and mentioned to a friend that I'm thinking about making chili and asked what else I should make with it instead of the usual corn bread, pasta, rice, hot dogs and her response was cinnamon rolls. I'm utterly confused at that suggestion and somewhat disgusted, but apparently it's a big thing where she's from in Nebraska. I don't know if I could bring myself to try it. It's just two things I can't put together in my head and thinking they would taste good, like toothpaste and OJ.

But in the end I agreed to make cinnamon rolls tomorrow. Wish me luck AFP goons.

Chili + Cinnamon Roll was a staple of my school's lunch menu the entire way through it (in the PNW). Also on the menu, the Cheese Zombie, which was a big melted cheese sandwich on doughy bread the size of the CD case. They were both incredible.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

The Duke posted:

Chili + Cinnamon Roll was a staple of my school's lunch menu the entire way through it (in the PNW). Also on the menu, the Cheese Zombie, which was a big melted cheese sandwich on doughy bread the size of the CD case. They were both incredible.

drat, the Cheese Zombie sounds good, we didn't have that, our other popular meal was a "crispito".

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Devonaut posted:

Venting prevents explosion.

This was awesome BTW.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

This is what I had for dinner last night (and it was great).

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Why did you undercook those poor french fries? :(

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Picnic Princess posted:

Apple crumble cocktails are apparently a thing, but it looks like they took it to a whole new terrible level.

I'd drink it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

OctoberBlues posted:

Why did you undercook those poor french fries? :(

I put them in the oven for the time it said on the pack. I could have left them in longer, but they were fine.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Cook for results. Not for time.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm gonna need a trip report on this.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Gridlocked posted:

I'd drink it.

The original or what I posted? It's important.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Tiggum posted:

:stare: drat. I glanced at it and assumed those were noodles. I was thinking a definite "would", because that looks like some of the best comfort food of my childhood. But thanks for ruining that by pointing out they're fries.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

That's incredible. At first I thought it was a kind of not so good Hamburger Helper but it turns out to be the saddest of all poutines.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

The sodium content itself won't be excessive unless you have a medical condition or are eating a very salty diet normally. It just gives regular Spam a distinctive salty taste that easily drives away a lot of people.

I don't add salt to anything, but it never seemed Spam tasted all the salty to me. (I cop to loving fried Spam wedges with eggs and as an occasional sandwich ingredient.)

Tofu Terry
Oct 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Lizard Wizard posted:

Was a little stoned and made this and I was about halfway through eating it when I remembered I'm lactose intolerant, so Im posting from toilet. pizza got kinda soggy and gross too but maybe I used too much oil. it kind of tastes like salt and cheese and egg and that's about it!

rotoscoped
Oct 30, 2010

Minarch posted:

-1 pound ground beef
-Beans (any)

Remove the beans and add spaghetti and you have my mom's spaghetti bolognese. Eaten about once a week throughout my childhood

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Tiggum posted:

I honestly thought this was candy and gravy over pasta. loving awful picture, I'm sure it was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Lizard Wizard posted:

I, uhm, drink a lot. Unreasonable amounts of vodka. So one morning after a few shots I was like "What the hell?" It was soggy and gross. The next time around I scraped everything I could off the crust and tossed the crust. That was actually kinda good, but I still found myself wishing I had just made real scrambled eggs. So, maybe 4/10. Does not pass the "I had vodka for breakfast test."

• Locked thread