Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

weekly font posted:

Depends how you feel about 80s butts.

Thank god we had Sir Mix-A-Lot to get rid of these boards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Have any of the good movie criticism podcasts done Master of Disguise? I like We Hate Movies and how did this get made, but haven't listened to many others, and can't find MoD in either of their back catalogues.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

rotinaj posted:

Have any of the good movie criticism podcasts done Master of Disguise? I like We Hate Movies and how did this get made, but haven't listened to many others, and can't find MoD in either of their back catalogues.

There's a fairly new podcast called Movie Mastery that I've been enjoying that did an episode on it. http://systemmasterypodcast.com/2015/07/01/movie-mastery-master-of-disguise/

I expected WHM to end up doing it this Listener Request Month, but I guess that didn't happen.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Vosgian Beast posted:

There's a fairly new podcast called Movie Mastery that I've been enjoying that did an episode on it. http://systemmasterypodcast.com/2015/07/01/movie-mastery-master-of-disguise/
It's also goon-made. theironjef hangs out in TradGames.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

rotinaj posted:

Read it and Weep should technically be in this thread - despite the name, they don't just review bad books, they review almost every kind of media ever. They did Master of Disguise, and also Vibrations/cyberstorm
I find their stuff generally very entertaining, but it has a different format from a lot of other podcasts. Also, it's such a long-runner that I'm surprised I hadn't heard of it before it was recommended on an episode of I Don't Even Own A Television, which is a podcast that's exclusively about bad books, and is amazing.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's also goon-made. theironjef hangs out in TradGames.

Here too! (I'm a huge fan of The Flophouse)

I'm sure we're too little to belong in this thread, but Movie Mastery does a review every other week (every week during October), and our shtick is that we roll randomly to select our movie each time, from a list of basically any suggestion anyone wants to give us. So far people have at least been suggesting things that are more or less actual movies, which is good.

Infamous Sphere posted:

I Don't Even Own A Television, which is a podcast that's exclusively about bad books, and is amazing.

Actually a huge fan of this too, since we're basically doing almost the same thing. Our other show is reviewing bad books (they're just always roleplaying games).

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
How to suggest a movie to go on the list?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

CountFosco posted:

How to suggest a movie to go on the list?

You can send recommendations to either @systemmastery on twitter or systemmastery@gmail.com.

If you'd like to see if it's been suggested already, check out our Movie Mastery List. You can put recommendations in the comments section there, too. (If a movie is listed twice, it's because someone actually sent us the film, and we reward that by doubling their odds)

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

I've been having issues with your podcast lately I can't download anything with my podcasting program. Have you changed anything since the release of Goth?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Evil Vin posted:

I've been having issues with your podcast lately I can't download anything with my podcasting program. Have you changed anything since the release of Goth?

No, I'm afraid that's to do with Wordpress. A lot of podcasters that host on wordpress are getting basically the same issues. It's not fixable by us, it's some sort of issue between Wordpress and the most recent version of the Android OS. The best I can tell you is that it's a known issue on both sides so hopefully one of them fixes something soon, it's been driving us nuts.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I haven't had any issues using PocketCast on Android.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

theironjef posted:

No, I'm afraid that's to do with Wordpress. A lot of podcasters that host on wordpress are getting basically the same issues. It's not fixable by us, it's some sort of issue between Wordpress and the most recent version of the Android OS. The best I can tell you is that it's a known issue on both sides so hopefully one of them fixes something soon, it's been driving us nuts.

Yeah, I've been having the same issues on my podcast (Alcohollywood) for some time, and we run through Wordpress - tbf, it seems to only have trouble with the official iOS Podcast app, but still, that's what most people use.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

I haven't had any issues using PocketCast on Android.

It took me forever to even figure out what issue people were having, I keep podkicker and podcastaddict on my phone to verify our feed and they both work perfectly, I assume because I haven't updated my OS in a while.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Hewlett posted:

Yeah, I've been having the same issues on my podcast (Alcohollywood) for some time, and we run through Wordpress - tbf, it seems to only have trouble with the official iOS Podcast app, but still, that's what most people use.

Yeah, unfortunately I often have issues where I'll try and stream the episode directly from the iOS podcast app and it'll play about 5 minutes and then go right back to the start. If I download the episode in full this doesn't happen, or if I listen directly from the webpage. As far as I can recall, that particular irritating issue of the official podcast app has been around for as long as I've been listening to podcasts on my phone.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Hey Eric, if you still read this thread: On today's episode you asked about horror characters in wrestling. 90s WCW had some dumb movie cameos, most notably Chucky cutting a promo on Rick Steiner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbXR21Esjq4

That one never spilled into the ring, for obvious reasons. However, at the same time in Japanese deathmatch promotions there was a serious infestation of horror icons going on. You had Freddy, Jason, Michael Myers and Leatherface all adapted as gimmicks by putting on cheap halloween masks. They ran through the crowd with their various signature weapons, shoving, hitting and otherwise terryfing the delighted local fans. Then they'd get in the ring, hit eachother with everything from chairs to baseball bats wrapped in barbed wire and bleed all over the place for a while.

Here's a little blog post about the whole thing. And yes, of course they also teamed up sometimes. Have some match clips (I think Jason and Leatherface stuck around the longest, so a lot of these feature them):

Matsunaga & Jason the Terrible vs Leatherface & Freddy Kruger (Barbwire Cage Deathmatch)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUu0M1_bhNs

Terry Funk vs Leatherface in front of a nicely filled baseball stadium at King Of The Deathmatch 1995
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_GAgvCbOyU

Freddy vs Leatherface
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUWmOOp8Sak

Jason vs Leatherface
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4yrLmAppbE

TWO Jasons battling eachother in a coffin deathmatch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXfpmErkeCQ

Jason vs Michael Myers vs Grave Digger in the main event of a show called CURSE OF THE BARBED WIRE BAT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZScRjfVWLo

TWO Leatherfaces VS Ono & Nakamaki in a double hell deathmatch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzWjSWLNPk4

The 90s were a weird and wonderful time.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 20, 2015

ShinyBirdTeeth
Nov 7, 2011

sparkle sparkle sparkle
^
drat, getting scholarly in the movie mocking thread today.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

So it's definitely Thinner for the last episode of the month? I was going to guess RIPD

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

:fork::fork::fork:
Yam Slacker
I hope the Draftkings checks cleared. There's a company that isn't going to do a lot more podcast ad buys.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Heteroy posted:

I hope the Draftkings checks cleared. There's a company that isn't going to do a lot more podcast ad buys.

Elucidate

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm guessing this: DraftKings, FanDuel FBI investigation could freeze daily fantasy players’ money for years

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Mojo Threepwood posted:

So it's definitely Thinner for the last episode of the month? I was going to guess RIPD

I would love an RIPD episode! Any excuse for that Jeff Bridges impression to come back.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

I've been wondering how these were legal.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Martin Cinemax always gets me

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It's the slobbery way they say TITS and MARTIN, CINEMAX... THE THIIIRRRD

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Calaveron posted:

It's the slobbery way they say TITS and MARTIN, CINEMAX... THE THIIIRRRD

"Sorry, I was thirsty for my own tongue."

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's weird that We Hate Movies has lower class assumptions about its audience compared to MaxFun series and some other podcasts, like they assume that the listener is A.) someone who has worked on Christmas (One Magic Christmas) and B.) advertise Uber to them, but not as a client, as a job opportunity, offering the tantalizing possibility that you yes you could one day be the Uber driver who drives them!

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
We Hate Movies is the podcast of salt of the earth working joes, who just want to come home from a day of being stepped on by the bossman and listen to people discuss whether they'd gently caress Freddy or Jason.

ShinyBirdTeeth
Nov 7, 2011

sparkle sparkle sparkle
The revolution comes as soon as sandwichly possible.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Our bourgeoisie overlords? I'm pretty sure they're actually Secundus.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Even New York garbagemen can enjoy art cinema.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheFallenEvincar posted:

It's weird that We Hate Movies has lower class assumptions about its audience compared to MaxFun series and some other podcasts, like they assume that the listener is A.) someone who has worked on Christmas (One Magic Christmas) and B.) advertise Uber to them, but not as a client, as a job opportunity, offering the tantalizing possibility that you yes you could one day be the Uber driver who drives them!

They have some pretty heavy taste assumptions, too. All I heard in the episode on Space Jam was lies. :colbert:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
They should do Sphere :getin:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I've tried to listen to How Did This Get Made a few times and it has always seemed so lovely and forced. It's not fun and seems so goddamn staged. Am I alone in this?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tracula posted:

I've tried to listen to How Did This Get Made a few times and it has always seemed so lovely and forced. It's not fun and seems so goddamn staged. Am I alone in this?

A lot of these roundtable discussion podcasts are super scripted so they can get it right. HDTGM is typically one of the better ones, but that doesn't make 'em perfect. Try the one on Mortal Kombat or Maximum Overdrive, I remember those being funny.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Tracula posted:

The HDTGM crew lacks the skill, talent, ability, and brainpower to stage anything in advance. June especially is mainly focused on remember to breathe and blink occasionally.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

rotinaj posted:

A lot of these roundtable discussion podcasts are super scripted so they can get it right. HDTGM is typically one of the better ones, but that doesn't make 'em perfect. Try the one on Mortal Kombat or Maximum Overdrive, I remember those being funny.

Isn't Mortal Kombat the one where she was like whloooooa surprised it was a video game?!
-cue laugh track-

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Tracula posted:

The issue, for me, is that when comedians talk on movies, it stops being about movies & starts being about the comedians. How often is HDTGM falling back on Jason talking about jacking off, or June just not quite understanding what's going on?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Why is June even on how did this get made?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

rotinaj posted:

Why is June even on how did this get made?

fight me bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
The whole June Drives Off To Crazytown thing was funny when she organically went down her rabbit hole about monkey actors but now whenever she has a question we first have to get through two minutes of preemptive chuckling and THIS IS GONNA BE GOOD YOU GUYS