Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Cowman posted:

That monkey is such an rear end in a top hat. It shoved a couple animals off the table and then started beating up that puppy. Fantastic video.

Monkeys are diseased hostile animals in general. I'd rather be in a room with a wild gorilla than a wild monkey.

Bonobo's, on the other hand, inherited all of the monkey's non-rear end in a top hat genes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AEMINAL posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5X6lVv_mL4

Not all brids but loving amazing

Worth the time U will laugh lm,ao
I hope the monkey guy from the anonymous confessions thread sees this

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Bird yells into everything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmMLUnvkjQY

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Neurolimal posted:

Monkeys are diseased hostile animals in general. I'd rather be in a room with a wild gorilla than a wild monkey.

Bonobo's, on the other hand, inherited all of the monkey's non-rear end in a top hat genes.

The sad thing about this is that bonobos are only free-love hippies who gently caress everyone as a way of saying "hi" in areas with abundant resources and few natural predators. In areas where they have to compete for resources more they are absolute dickheads like all great apes (and like chimpanzees especially) :( Primates are fukt.

Birds meanwhile are always lovely and friendly and kind and giving. It is just that *screaming* and biting your ears off are actually signs of affection among birds.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

The sad thing about this is that bonobos are only free-love hippies who gently caress everyone as a way of saying "hi" in areas with abundant resources and few natural predators. In areas where they have to compete for resources more they are absolute dickheads like all great apes (and like chimpanzees especially) :( Primates are fukt.

Birds meanwhile are always lovely and friendly and kind and giving. It is just that *screaming* and biting your ears off are actually signs of affection among birds.

Also feelin comfortable and summoning a dust storm out of your body coverings with your face toenail while riding on a giants shoulder.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Birds are very smart and smart pets, unless theyre chill as gently caress, are usually a hassle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mALNyHFqw14

It's like a kid with bird autism

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They seem more like a flying, bionic Furby with an attitude and autism

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

:black101:

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
lol someone on my facebook linked that picture with captions added about the bird mourning its fallen companion or whatever

I didn't have the heart to tell her that it's one male bird raping another male bird's corpse

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It is mourning its mate

A sad day for all birdkind

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
MY bird is sick :(

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I bet birds are delicious

Like chicken, that is a bird for example and it IS delicious

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zzulu posted:

I bet birds are delicious

Like chicken, that is a bird for example and it IS delicious

Bah fest had a funny presentation on chickens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRPKOrTRE0w

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Zzulu posted:

It is mourning its mate

A sad day for all birdkind

it's celebrating its victory over a rival in glorious mortal combat to the death :black101:
CAWW!!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eEe1DdNyio&t=90s

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
crow funerals are neat if kind of creepy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBKycXlBzuM

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Tendai posted:

Yeah, Judah used to be loving terrified of soup cans or similar cans because ?????. Then he grew out of it. He's still afraid of people wearing white shirts. :iiam:

More cockatiels? Yes more cockatiels.

White shirts washed with most detergents will be really bright UV reflectors. Birds can see in ultraviolet, and cockatiels in particular have very beautiful UV coloration.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
enable bird vision

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

John_A_Tallon posted:

White shirts washed with most detergents will be really bright UV reflectors. Birds can see in ultraviolet, and cockatiels in particular have very beautiful UV coloration.

Oh cool, I haven't seen a cockatiel UV pattern before. I remember reading a big article awhile back about how this was further confirmation or proof of birds being able to see in the UV spectrum and they had a bunch of male budgies with their wings spread, it was beautiful.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tendai posted:

Out of the non-human animals in this house, the bird is definitely the smartest. The cat is a god-drat moron.

our cat varies between pretty smart for an animal and dumb as poo poo to the point that im pretty sure a lot of the dumb is an act so we give it attention and treats and poo poo

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Robo Reagan posted:

our cat varies between pretty smart for an animal and dumb as poo poo to the point that im pretty sure a lot of the dumb is an act so we give it attention and treats and poo poo
Kiska has tried multiple times to eat wood, and also eats tiny bits of cardboard. She has run (multiple times) headlong into very obviously solid objects like walls. The idea of near-fresh king salmon or halibut, much less canned tuna, being edible is a mystery to her, but trying to eat the firewood is apparently okay. The vet has ruled out nutritional things or illnesses. It's the only time I've had a vet say about one of my animals that they might, essentially, just be kind of dumb.

At least she's good at catching mice, like the rain man of cats.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
okay yeah your cat is dumb

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Exceedingly.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Zzulu posted:

Birds are very smart and smart pets, unless theyre chill as gently caress, are usually a hassle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mALNyHFqw14

It's like a kid with bird autism

"I'm gonna gently caress her right in the pussy" at 1:38 this is a pretty cool bird.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

whitey getting what he deserves

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
the shrike might be the most :black101: of all birds

It impales its prey on thorny trees/bushes/barbed wire if its around and tears it apart

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

The angriest loaf.

I want to feed it a mouse. :swoon:

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
that's obviously a slipper

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007
Cockatoos are awesome and hilarious, but I could never handle the amount of noise they make; they pretty much freak out and start head banging, jumping around and yelling every half hour or so, which makes for great YouTube videos but would probably get old fast at 3am.

As far as birds go, I prefer pigeons as pets. They're largely quiet, can be very friendly with humans (especially if raised around people), are non-destructive, have soft beaks (which means they can't even draw blood by biting you as hard as they can) and are generally low maintenance as far as birds go. Give them an hour or two of attention a day, a cage or space large enough for them to flap their wings and walk around and food/water daily and they're good to go.

It's a shame that more people who like birds don't know that pigeons make awesome pets, especially because there are so many domesticated pigeons that can't survive in the wild that are regularly euthanized at shelters because no one knows to look for them.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I found someone's abandoned domesticated pigeon about two years back, sitting/making GBS threads on my studio's entryway. But she had broken bones, calcified poop on every toe, and was generally in bad shape and though I tried calling a couple bird rescues, nobody would take in this pigeon.
I made a thread on PI back in the day to ask for help, but in the end I couldn't help her and took her to the animal shelter to be put down.

Sorry filthy hobo pigeon, I tried. :(

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

I found someone's abandoned domesticated pigeon about two years back, sitting/making GBS threads on my studio's entryway. But she had broken bones, calcified poop on every toe, and was generally in bad shape and though I tried calling a couple bird rescues, nobody would take in this pigeon.
I made a thread on PI back in the day to ask for help, but in the end I couldn't help her and took her to the animal shelter to be put down.

it would have been more humane if you had just crushed it under you boot when you saw it

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Birds meanwhile are always lovely and friendly and kind and giving.

No.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Gg

I hope the alien civilization that discovers us goes through these same motions before euthanizing humanity.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Huh. Had not observed that behavior before.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CYKLV3CLmBs

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

I volunteer for a local non-profit called Palomacy (San Francisco, though they serve the greater bay area) and it's really unfortunate how few shelters are willing to take in pigeons, even if they're domestic and unable to survive in the wild at all. A lot of people (read: ignorant fools) will see domestic pigeons being sold live for food at street markets and will buy them and "free" them in a park or something. The vast majority are killed within the day either by cars, predators or even rear end in a top hat people (why do parents never bother to tell their kids to stop terrorizing and kicking at pigeons?), and the very few who are lucky enough to be rescued tended to end up being euthanized at a shelter despite being in good health. I personally rescued the single surviving baby pigeon out of six that had been reported as being abandoned under a park bench; no one found out until it was dark, and by the time I found the bench all but one had been killed and eaten by raccoons, and I found the lone survivor soaking wet hiding behind a rock next to a lake, about nine feet away from where another racoon was eating her companion. Really hosed up, as whoever bought those six baby pigeons and released them did no research whatsoever and just assumed they'd be fine in the wild. Our organization is literally the first result if you Google "pigeon rescue sf". Thankfully the one baby I rescued survived and I take care of her at my house now; I named her Elma, after the name of the little girl that reported seeing the baby pigeons and thus saved at least one of their lives. I'd post pictures but I'm at work.

Thankfully since Palomacy (previously Mickacoo) got up and running we've managed to save 800+ domestic and unreleasable pigeons and doves, as well as managing to educate local shelters like SFACC about how to care for birds and actually show people that they're there and up for adoption instead of keeping them locked up in tiny cages in back room. Several times when I've visited I've checked a starving baby pigeon's chart and seen that they were being fed 2mL of food a day (the minimum amount is 30-40mL a day).

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Here's a few monkeys getting drunk on stolen alcohol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSm7BcQHWXk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

3D GAY WORLD posted:

I volunteer for a local non-profit called Palomacy (San Francisco, though they serve the greater bay area) and it's really unfortunate how few shelters are willing to take in pigeons, even if they're domestic and unable to survive in the wild at all. A lot of people (read: ignorant fools) will see domestic pigeons being sold live for food at street markets and will buy them and "free" them in a park or something. The vast majority are killed within the day either by cars, predators or even rear end in a top hat people (why do parents never bother to tell their kids to stop terrorizing and kicking at pigeons?), and the very few who are lucky enough to be rescued tended to end up being euthanized at a shelter despite being in good health. I personally rescued the single surviving baby pigeon out of six that had been reported as being abandoned under a park bench; no one found out until it was dark, and by the time I found the bench all but one had been killed and eaten by raccoons, and I found the lone survivor soaking wet hiding behind a rock next to a lake, about nine feet away from where another racoon was eating her companion. Really hosed up, as whoever bought those six baby pigeons and released them did no research whatsoever and just assumed they'd be fine in the wild. Our organization is literally the first result if you Google "pigeon rescue sf". Thankfully the one baby I rescued survived and I take care of her at my house now; I named her Elma, after the name of the little girl that reported seeing the baby pigeons and thus saved at least one of their lives. I'd post pictures but I'm at work.

Thankfully since Palomacy (previously Mickacoo) got up and running we've managed to save 800+ domestic and unreleasable pigeons and doves, as well as managing to educate local shelters like SFACC about how to care for birds and actually show people that they're there and up for adoption instead of keeping them locked up in tiny cages in back room. Several times when I've visited I've checked a starving baby pigeon's chart and seen that they were being fed 2mL of food a day (the minimum amount is 30-40mL a day).

why don't you use your free time to help people instead of flying rats

• Locked thread