Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

"Everybody knows politics is fake!"

*Trump throws John Stossel to the ground by the neck*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Patter Song posted:

Endorsements

Even if someone thinks endorsements don't matter much it shows the turmoil the party is in. Either they are that lacking for inspiring figures to get their peers behind them and/or everyone is scared of being on the chopping block by failing the purity test and backing the wrong horse.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Montasque posted:

I want to have a chat about "Conventional Wisdom" in regards to this GOP primary.

Here are some pearls of Conventional Wisdom past:

1. Polls this far out don't matter as no one is paying attention.
2. Ad buys are powerful at shaping narrative.
3. The Republicans never attack their own. "Reagan's law"
4. Although they may grumble, Republicans falls lockstep inline with the establishment.
5. The Candidate with the most establishment support will be the nominee.

Do these conventions hold up? IS THIS TIME DIFFERENT?

Conventional wisdom says that ad buys at this point are generally a waste of money and will have no lasting impact on numbers or narrative.

So even conventional wisdom says Jeb is flailing desperately.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
I hate to beat a dead horse, but, they can't even pick a speaker let alone a Presidential candidate.

Speaking of Presidential Candidates the Secret Service is now protecting Donald Trump and Ben Carson. You'll remember these two rad outsiders as the guys who brought CNBC to their knees. True champions, of WE THE PEOPLE.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/trump-carson-threats-secret/2015/10/17/id/696743/

Well according to NEWSMAX at least.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Wanamingo posted:

Then Nancy Pelosi becomes speaker.

Not that this could ever happen, but I'm convinced there are republicans in congress who would allow it rather than compromise and allow another "rino" to win the gavel.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

The Nastier Nate posted:

Not that this could ever happen, but I'm convinced there are republicans in congress who would allow it rather than compromise and allow another "rino" to win the gavel.

There certainly are, because the republicans who vote for Nancy Pelosi will lose their primaries before they even start.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Endorsements and establishment support matter a great deal in the primary because they're from people who are able to mobilize voting districts one way or another. Rep. Fuckface from Pawnee has decades of connections with local community leaders and volunteers that carry immense weight in those areas, much more than some bored fatass on /pol/ making trump memes does.

Polling isn't terribly indicative at this point regarding the eventual nominee and it's even less indicative of hypothetical general election contenders. That said, things should start to shake out in the next few months.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

uncurable mlady posted:

Endorsements and establishment support matter a great deal in the primary because they're from people who are able to mobilize voting districts one way or another. Rep. Fuckface from Pawnee has decades of connections with local community leaders and volunteers that carry immense weight in those areas, much more than some bored fatass on /pol/ making trump memes does.

Polling isn't terribly indicative at this point regarding the eventual nominee and it's even less indicative of hypothetical general election contenders. That said, things should start to shake out in the next few months.

The /pol/ endorsement is at leat as powerful as a Congressmen. Put that on the board Nate Silver.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The Nastier Nate posted:

If the Freedom Caucus abstains, does that lower the majority threshold or is it a firm 218?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Vox Nihili posted:

Conventional wisdom says that ad buys at this point are generally a waste of money and will have no lasting impact on numbers or narrative.

So even conventional wisdom says Jeb is flailing desperately.

Ha, the point of that being that you're not even supposed to be doing them this far out from the general. This is supposed to be one or two 'real' candidates who don't really fight, and a handful of wack-jobs who are only there for the post-race wing-nut welfare circuit who don't actually pose a real threat. You're not supposed to feel so threatened that you do an ad buy this early in the first place; that it was totally ineffective only underlines how poor Jeb's prospects are.

EDIT: I'm agreeing with you, it might not sound like it, but you're right

Full Battle Rattle fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 18, 2015

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Civilized Fishbot posted:

There certainly are, because the republicans who vote for Nancy Pelosi will lose their primaries before they even start.

They don't even need to do that if there's a split vote. There's 188 Democratic representatives to 247 Republican, and they're already lining up to vote for Pelosi as a bloc.

Aliquid posted:

If the Freedom Caucus abstains, does that lower the majority threshold or is it a firm 218?

I don't think abstentions ever lower voting threshholds. But the House can change its procedural rules whenever it wants.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I hope trump wins. He has my write-in vote if he dropps out.

He has the same mindset as me and I think he would make a great president.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Montasque posted:

I want to have a chat about "Conventional Wisdom" in regards to this GOP primary.

Here are some pearls of Conventional Wisdom past:

1. Polls this far out don't matter as no one is paying attention.
2. Ad buys are powerful at shaping narrative.
3. The Republicans never attack their own. "Reagan's law"
4. Although they may grumble, Republicans falls lockstep inline with the establishment.
5. The Candidate with the most establishment support will be the nominee.

Do these conventions hold up? IS THIS TIME DIFFERENT?

Conventional wisdom is right until it isn't. Politics is predictive to a certain degree, but every once in a while an exceptionally charismatic individual will come along and break the entire model. Take Reagan for example. In the aftermath of Watergate, could any rationale human being predict that not only would the GOP re-capture the Presidency after only losing it for one term, but that their President would win with 91% and 97% of the electoral votes?

Nobody knows anything, all is chaos.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Fuschia tude posted:

They don't even need to do that if there's a split vote. There's 188 Democratic representatives to 247 Republican, and they're already lining up to vote for Pelosi as a bloc.

I don't think abstentions ever lower voting threshholds. But the House can change its procedural rules whenever it wants.

So wait, it's theoretically possible that there could be a D president, senate, and speaker of the house if the freedom caucus keeps loving that chicken?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Pander posted:

So wait, it's theoretically possible that there could be a D president, senate, and speaker of the house if the freedom caucus keeps loving that chicken?
If this happens, I think Obama gets a special presidential achivement.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
unless you've got some scoop up about upcoming resignations, the republicans currently control the senate

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

unless you've got some scoop up about upcoming resignations, the republicans currently control the senate
There are a lot of red senate seats up for election next fall?

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Pander posted:

If the popular vote margin repeats itself in 2016 from 2012, the GOP will keep the senate and the house easily. 2018 is very friendly to the GOP. 2020 is probably when the Democrats will take back the senate.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Fuschia tude posted:

The Irish Republicans lowered the UK PM threshold for a long time, I guess this was because they never accepted their seats in Parliament.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Jeb! has dropped his negative Trump ad...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FivFaqZrr4A

Judging from the soon to be closed comment section I don't think it's very effective.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Montasque posted:

Judging from the soon to be closed comment section I don't think it's very effective.

that might be the first internet comment section worth reading

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Montasque posted:

I'm amazed that after what's happened to every other Jeb! Bush video, Jeb!'s people haven't yet realized that they should disable comments and ratings.

Winning over /pol was a fantastically good investment for Trump. After retweeting a few things, he gets an army of negative ratings and comments on every video his rivals put out about him.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

comes along bort posted:

Vicious. Trump now has his War Boys...

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.

comes along bort posted:

You weren't kidding.

Incognito Walröss posted:

You literally sourced an editorial from Bloomberg that some human being had an opinion on. GEE I THINK JEB'S A friend of the family-loving RHINOCEROS! I HOPE TRUMP USES MY KNOWLEDGE AND OPINION IN HIS NEXT ATTACK AD!

gently caress off Yeb!, America needs a real leader, not an establishment cuckservative, a slave to the lobbyists.

TRUMP 2016

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Montasque posted:

Well...he's not wrong.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I'm not sure I can deal with this much modernity. Head is spinning, vision swimming. Now I understand why Joementum left.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
efb — Holy poo poo the vitriol is amazing in these comments.

Addamere fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Oct 18, 2015

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mitt Romney posted:

If the popular vote margin repeats itself in 2016 from 2012, the GOP will keep the senate and the house easily. 2018 is very friendly to the GOP. 2020 is probably when the Democrats will take back the senate.
Well, Mr. Romney, I'd been hearing that a lot of the tea party wave seats were up and in a lot of places they'd probably lose out. If nothing else the Democrats could close the gap. I'll give you 2018.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Patter Song posted:

Winning over /pol was a fantastically good investment for Trump. After retweeting a few things, he gets an army of negative ratings and comments on every video his rivals put out about him.

'Internet Hate Machine' is a surprisingly apt description.

Montasque posted:

Vicious. Trump now has his War Boys...

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Here's a meme more Jeb's speed:

Now that lame lady in the office can spam this on her fb wall.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

I'm not sure I can deal with this much modernity. Head is spinning, vision swimming. Now I understand why Joementum left.

i feel like a genoese professor in 1922

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Trump will make the trains run on time, and they'll be the yugest and most luxurious trains the world has ever seen

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Trump himself isn't really that scary, since the man's a clown without much higher drive than attention, money and spite, but there is something a little worrying about the political forces he manages to channel. A more capable, driven and focused candidate in Trump's position could turn this groundswell of support into something actually frightening, we're probably lucky that Ted Cruz is a sniveling vizier type because otherwise he might be positioned to properly co-op Trump's momentum after he's gone.

As fun as it is watching the Republican party eat itself and the power of its establishment be weakened, I hope part of the Trump hangover is his virulent supporters burning themselves out. It'd be scary to imagine politicians drawing up plans to follow in Trump's footsteps and tap the sources of overt hate and anger he benefits from. The Tea Party faction is funny so long as they mostly work as a spoiler for the rest of the party's actual achievable goals, if they actually get strong enough to take over and usher in a new era of a rabid, hyper-conservative, populist GOP, that's worrying.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
People are going to die as a result of this madness.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
let loose the bloodgates and see where the bodies fall

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Baloogan posted:

People are going to die as a result of this madness.
Well that's the issue, you see - they don't see them as people.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I filled in the Breitbart election popup thing (casting my powerful Walker/Santorum/Jindal prediction) to see what people who earnest read about how Gamergate was a brave conservative stand against liberal nonsense think, and a doughy-faced gargoyle is still holding above Carson there:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

pro-click

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGRAonpLeQg

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sono posted:

Can they do this? I've seen people throw out Romney and Gingrich. Does the Speaker not need to be a Representative?

The Speaker does not have to be a member of Congress. Kim Davis could be voted in as Speaker of the House. :getin:

sullat posted:

It's part of the common law, which was adopted by the US.

You should probably read the first line of what you linked, it's kinda important.

"For example, following the American Revolution in 1776, one of the first legislative acts undertaken by each of the newly independent states was to adopt a "reception statute" that gave legal effect to the existing body of English common law to the extent that American legislation or the Constitution had not explicitly rejected English law."

Rejection of the authority of the King/Queen of Britain falls under "explicitly rejected English law" as there's no question of the US rejecting the rule of England or the monarchy. As funny as the whole thing would be no, the US's adoption of (some) English common law doesn't let them appoint a new Speaker as a last resort.

Pander posted:

You need an unnaturally high voter turnout, which is already unlikely given the massive voter suppression the GOP is continually doubling down on. Even if by some miracle the Democrats pulled it off it wouldn't matter. The GOP won't lose the House for another generation without something like a schism that destroys the party and a Dem president plus Dem senate will still be crippled by a GOP House. A Dem senate with a GOP House and GOP president would give the most token of resistance while ultimately caving constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Dolash posted:

Trump himself isn't really that scary, since the man's a clown without much higher drive than attention, money and spite, but there is something a little worrying about the political forces he manages to channel. A more capable, driven and focused candidate in Trump's position could turn this groundswell of support into something actually frightening, we're probably lucky that Ted Cruz is a sniveling vizier type because otherwise he might be positioned to properly co-op Trump's momentum after he's gone.

As fun as it is watching the Republican party eat itself and the power of its establishment be weakened, I hope part of the Trump hangover is his virulent supporters burning themselves out. It'd be scary to imagine politicians drawing up plans to follow in Trump's footsteps and tap the sources of overt hate and anger he benefits from. The Tea Party faction is funny so long as they mostly work as a spoiler for the rest of the party's actual achievable goals, if they actually get strong enough to take over and usher in a new era of a rabid, hyper-conservative, populist GOP, that's worrying.

If they do manage to "take over and usher in a new era of a rabid, hyper-conservative, populist GOP" then the moneyed interests who are less about the social policy and more about the fiscal policy - the "establishment," if you will - will just jump ship and start supporting Blue Dog Democrats. The GOP will become irrelevant for a little while, then the Dems'll have a party split. Maybe someone'll bring back the Whig Party.

• Locked thread