Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Radio Spiricom posted:

mind game, gauche the cellist, genius party & genius party beyond, angels egg, urusei yatsura: only you & urusei yatsura beautiful dreamer, royal space force: the wings of honneamise, macross: do you remember love?, bonjour galaxy express 999 & adieu galaxy express 999, the sky crawlers, neon genesis evangelion: the end of evangelion, rebuild of evangelion, patlabor 1 & patlabor 2, adolescence of utena, puella magi madoka magica the movie 3: rebellion, the disappearance of haruhi suzumiya

All of these, plus Memories and Neo Tokyo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

ViggyNash posted:

Personally I think watching ToE one episode at a time is a better experience because it helps to pace things better. The movie just didn't do it for me. But if you do end up liking it and Patema Inverted, check out Yoshiura's previous short movie Pale Cocoon.

I agree on Hosoda, he's a great alternative to Ghibli/Miyazaki stuff. His stuff is a lot less fantasy and much more down to earth.. I don't agree that The Girl Who Leapt Though Time is a better movie than Wolf Children. Almost nothing is a better movie than Wolf Children.

Also, Shinkai is bad. :colbert:

I won't argue on the Hosoda point, Wolf Children was really friggin good.

We must agree to disagree on Shinkai though >:[

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Jose posted:

what are some good films to watch?

the last i saw was either redline or paprika and i've only seen a few. akira/gits obviously and then jin-roh and spriggan years ago and obviously a bunch of ghibli stuff and probably some more i don't remember

Watch the Ashita no Joe 1 and 2 compilation movies

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man. Keyman: Hand of Judgement was recommended in the Convince Manga etc thread and boy howdy, that's something alright. Ten or so chapters in and I really like Alex Rex. He's a goddamn Tyrannosaurus Rex beastman no nonsense cop in a trenchcoat and detective fedora. He's awesome, him and his gorilla boss. The fanservice is bizarre and the violence is grotesque, but it's an interesting series so far.

I don't think I've ever seen a main character have breasts as big as Dr. Necro's other form, though. Not even Centorea from Monmusu. Jesus.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Id rather Necro stay on her original form than the little girl one.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Keyman and Dorohedoro have some of the grungiest visuals and I loves it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It might just be the scan quality but sometimes the grunge in Keyman can get confusing, the shading can get thick enough that it's disorienting. Dorohedoro I feel manages to keep its grunginess "clean", visually dense while still being able to pick out detail, which is important.

I like Necro's low-detail reaction faces, she's just not taking anything at all seriously ever. At least until one of the recent chapters I've read.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

*Modsnip.*

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The last volume of keyman... the end of it all... I'm excite.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Captain Invictus posted:

It might just be the scan quality but sometimes the grunge in Keyman can get confusing, the shading can get thick enough that it's disorienting. Dorohedoro I feel manages to keep its grunginess "clean", visually dense while still being able to pick out detail, which is important.

I like Necro's low-detail reaction faces, she's just not taking anything at all seriously ever. At least until one of the recent chapters I've read.

Agree with all of these points, Keyman is loving amazing. I preferred kid-Necro in terms of comedy (she reminds me a lot of FMA's Envy both in appearance and being an irreverent rear end in a top hat) but I guess the story has gone to a more serious place now. I thought it was a really nice touch that there's an immediately obvious difference between Misery and Necro based entirely on facial expressions, Necro has seen all the poo poo and loves loving with everyone but Misery is just a cute kid :3:

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 16, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Keyman and Dorohedoro have some of the grungiest visuals and I loves it.

You seen Jabberwocky yet? Instead of grunge hisa does really incredible work with high contrast.

Nobody's ever gonna finish anything of his though... shame.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 16, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Thanks sharky for posting untagged spoilers after I said I was ten chapters in you worthless poo poo

On chapter 24 or so and a bit surprised the direction it's taking into full blown racism, KKK and genocide but it's not bad, kinda bummed at the lack of comedy for a good while but considering the events around where I am it's at least understandable, hopefully there's some lighthearted points soon enough.

I also didn't expect this series to have a pretty adorable romance in it, too. The fight scenes are often nigh-incomprehensibly busy with speed lines and poo poo but when they're done right, they're fantastic. Some good cosmic horror stuff too. Glad people recommended it, are the sound effects in the original or are those from translators? Guessing they're just from the original based on the weirdness of a lot of them. The beastmen designs are just great. There's a gorilla in a suit fer chrissake. Love it.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Jose posted:

what are some good films to watch?

the last i saw was either redline or paprika and i've only seen a few. akira/gits obviously and then jin-roh and spriggan years ago and obviously a bunch of ghibli stuff and probably some more i don't remember

I recommend the k-on movie

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Thanks sharky for posting untagged spoilers after I said I was ten chapters in you worthless poo poo

:qqsay:

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
I know you got a vendetta against spoiler policy and in general people can get obnoxious about them, but this one was a pretty legit complaint.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I was with him right up until "you worthless poo poo"

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
he's not wrong

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Oh lol, seems a misunderstanding was had, I just saw Plutonis posting about Keyman and chimed in, never saw your posts.

No harm meant, and I've been away most of the day so no harm no foul. Bygones be bygones.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Razzled posted:

he's not wrong

It's wierd to hold grudges over this dying forum, whoever you are.

I'm also not worthless since I'm the person who started drumming up interest in Keyman again in the first place, love it and wouldn't want to ruin it for new viewers, my apologies to invictus.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 17, 2015

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Sharkopath posted:

I'm also not worthless since I'm the person who started drumming up interest in Keyman again in the first place, love it and wouldn't want to ruin it for new viewers, my apologies to invictus.

who's holding grudges? spades a spade yo

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I dunno why you keep vocalizing intense dislike everytime I post somewhere, is what i mean, its lame.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

It's likely that I read it before you actually.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

It's likely that I read it before you actually.

Yah true, I started posting about it a bunch in the chat thread and got a few people to try it though a while back though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Boy, keyman does go places, huh.

I still think the art suffers a lot from the prevalence of speed lines and blackness, I get that it's part of the setting that it's all Gotham-esque, but the action scenes are nearly incomprehensible most of the time.

Good stuff though. I feel like the currently translated stuff about necro's backstory is kind of irrelevant, I never really felt the need to know the nitty gritty behind it all past what she mentioned earlier on. If there's one more volume before it's done, that should be just enough to wrap up this final arc and hopefully have a mostly happy epilogue.

Definitely something I'd recommend to others, with caveats, though.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Boy, keyman does go places, huh.

I still think the art suffers a lot from the prevalence of speed lines and blackness, I get that it's part of the setting that it's all Gotham-esque, but the action scenes are nearly incomprehensible most of the time.

Good stuff though. I feel like the currently translated stuff about necro's backstory is kind of irrelevant, I never really felt the need to know the nitty gritty behind it all past what she mentioned earlier on. If there's one more volume before it's done, that should be just enough to wrap up this final arc and hopefully have a mostly happy epilogue.

Definitely something I'd recommend to others, with caveats, though.

Now you should check out Jabberwocky, its a historical spy/conspiracy thriller except the conspiracy is dinosaur people are real. Really good and shares a lot of feeling with Keyman although I'd say the art is much cleaner and focused on contrast.

Will never be finished scanlating but its a series of standalone stories and the arc it was on did get finished.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Whelp, finished episode 9 of Gungrave.

Definitely not what I expected.

To be honest, the action is rather lacking. I'm used to stupid gunfights in, well, pretty much any medium ever, so I'm not bothered by that aspect. But there's a lot of Empty Room Syndrome (tm) going on, where it always seems that the characters are removed from their surroundings in quite spacious (and more often than not rectangular) surroundings - not only in shootouts, mind you. Aside from the first episode, there's more short bursts of more mundane action rather than prolonged insanity versus undead abominations. That's fine too, but it's just not very good action. A little disappointed there.
But, unexpectedly, I'm really digging the story so far! Betrayal, iron codes of honor, killers sinking into apathy. The characters are quite enjoyable (except that gross always-eating guy, goddamn close your mouth dude). It feels like there's a lot of build-up towards things going to hell, and now that the undead are introduced, there might be gloriously stupid violence thrown in once more. I'm really, really curious if this show can pull of the mixture of mafia intrigues and Hellsing-brand gun action. (I hope for more over the top gun action so bad)

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Hello, I forgot to cancel my Crunchyroll subscription again so I'm looking for more recommendations for anime that'll make me cry of happiness and/or awesome "JUST AS PLANNED" anime.
(Manga works too and doesn't need to be in Crunchyroll as long it's online somewhere)

In the last couple of months I have cried after watching:
- Usagi Drop
- My Love Story!!
- Shirobako
- Non Non Biyori (it was almost too chill though)

I'm planning to watch:
- Euphonium

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Kaiji my man.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

gmq posted:

Hello, I forgot to cancel my Crunchyroll subscription again so I'm looking for more recommendations for anime that'll make me cry of happiness and/or awesome "JUST AS PLANNED" anime.
(Manga works too and doesn't need to be in Crunchyroll as long it's online somewhere)

- Usagi Drop
- My Love Story!!
- Shirobako

I'm planning to watch:
- Euphonium

Eccentric Family
Hanasaku Iroha
AnoHana

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

gmq posted:

- Usagi Drop
- My Love Story!!
- Shirobako

I'm planning to watch:
- Euphonium

kaiji

Dozeworthy
Oct 9, 2012
Should I watch the original Space Battleship Yamato or 2199?

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Torquemadras posted:

Whelp, finished episode 9 of Gungrave.

Definitely not what I expected.

To be honest, the action is rather lacking. I'm used to stupid gunfights in, well, pretty much any medium ever, so I'm not bothered by that aspect. But there's a lot of Empty Room Syndrome (tm) going on, where it always seems that the characters are removed from their surroundings in quite spacious (and more often than not rectangular) surroundings - not only in shootouts, mind you. Aside from the first episode, there's more short bursts of more mundane action rather than prolonged insanity versus undead abominations. That's fine too, but it's just not very good action. A little disappointed there.
But, unexpectedly, I'm really digging the story so far! Betrayal, iron codes of honor, killers sinking into apathy. The characters are quite enjoyable (except that gross always-eating guy, goddamn close your mouth dude). It feels like there's a lot of build-up towards things going to hell, and now that the undead are introduced, there might be gloriously stupid violence thrown in once more. I'm really, really curious if this show can pull of the mixture of mafia intrigues and Hellsing-brand gun action. (I hope for more over the top gun action so bad)

Don't get your hopes up too much, Gungrave is a pretty bad action show throughout. The good news is that the character drama will stay as good as it is, but the action will always feel perfunctory and is just there to drive the character dynamics. There are a handful of episodes in the later half that are all action and a bit of a slog, but the finale is again all character-driven and really really good.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

im looking for good, finished and relatively long (not like 400 chapters but between 50-200 is ok) shonen or shoujo to read on the plane. little to no fanservice

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Davincie posted:

im looking for good, finished and relatively long (not like 400 chapters but between 50-200 is ok) shonen or shoujo to read on the plane. little to no fanservice

Taiyou ni ie is very good.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dozeworthy posted:

Should I watch the original Space Battleship Yamato or 2199?

2199 did a fine job at updating the original to something more palatable for modern audiences while keeping what people liked about the original, so I say go with that first unless you're interested in the series from a historical perspective.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Davincie posted:

Nurarihyon no Mago
Mahoraba
Taiyou no Ie
NG Life

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Davincie posted:

Ashita no Joe

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Davincie posted:

Up yourself to the seinen game and read acclaimed manga K-ON

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

gmq posted:

- Usagi Drop
- My Love Story!!
- Shirobako

I'm planning to watch:
- Euphonium

Chihayafuru is the ultimate crying all the time anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

CubeTheory posted:

Chihayafuru is the ultimate crying all the time anime.

Only if you can stand 50 episodes of japanese slapjack.