Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Traffic Reporter posted:

I believe the outlook app doesn't wipe your device, just the company email, contacts and calendar.

It's not the app, it's a device policy that's pushed to the iPhone as part of the account setup if you want to actually have good and accurate calendar alerts and have a company contact list that's actually usable outside of Outlook. I honestly use Outlook for email only. Fantastical is far better calendar app, and I want to be able to access the company directory from within the phone app, not have to navigate Outlook every time I want to contact someone.

Where I work the policy enforces PIN/Passphrase and device encryption, 10 consecutive failures to unlock = wipe, and remote wipe in case the device is lost. It's a pretty light touch, and they in no way have access to anything on the phone itself.

To me, that's acceptable to a) have just one device and b)get 50% of my mobile bill re-imbursed every month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I would gladly not carry a work phone but I want to be able to turn off my work calls when I'm on holiday, and Google Voice isn't a thing here. I could technically divert my desk phone, but then if I call people back they get my personal number with which to nag me.

I'm surprised nobody is addressing what I guess is a fairly common BYOD byproduct. Even if it's just letting people choose the number they present when they dial out, and it places the call through a gateway the office hosts or something.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It's my job to reachable and my company reimburses 100% of my phone bill plus pays for a new phone every 2 years so I don't really care.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

This is going to open a huge can of worms, but has anyone been flagged for doing "too well" on a IT Certification? .

Is IBM <ibmsecur@us.ibm.com> a valid email address?

I don't use my personal email address for anything, this is weird...

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
fart

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 23, 2018

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Tab8715 posted:

This is going to open a huge can of worms, but has anyone been flagged for doing "too well" on a IT Certification? .

It probably gives you a different reply-to email if you hit reply. Sounds like a phishing attempt?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Chickenwalker posted:

If you score perfect or near perfect, or finish unreasonably quickly, they have good reason to think you braindumped it and may blacklist you.

What's weird, is I took 3 or 4 IBM tests over 6 months ago. How the hell would I get this now?

According to various associates, the email address isn't valid. False alarm?

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 19, 2015

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Tab8715 posted:

What's weird, is I took 3 or 4 IBM tests over 6 months ago. How the hell would I get this now?

According to various associates, the email address isn't valid. False alarm?

The tld is correct. Dunno about the rest. Pm me and when I'm at a pc I'll vpn in and check out the email address.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

By associates, I mean I already reached out to an IMBer but thanks anyway!

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

I would gladly not carry a work phone but I want to be able to turn off my work calls when I'm on holiday, and Google Voice isn't a thing here. I could technically divert my desk phone, but then if I call people back they get my personal number with which to nag me.

I'm surprised nobody is addressing what I guess is a fairly common BYOD byproduct. Even if it's just letting people choose the number they present when they dial out, and it places the call through a gateway the office hosts or something.

With Masergy/broadcore you can dial out from your cell phone and it shows up as the work number. I am surprised this is not more common.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
[deleted]

kung fu jive fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 28, 2022

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I'd just put your one good reference first, and make two google voice numbers for the other two "references", then get people to record messages for them in a voice not your own.

If I were an HR person and I got one good reference, left two messages and got no response, and your interview went well, I think I'd call it a day.

Edit: plus some places let you mix and match references, you could for example have the good reference, then two friends who are working professionals in the field but not at places you worked at, who can say "yeah he did some consulting for me" or something.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 20, 2015

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

As far as references go, I've been in IT for almost a decade and no one has ever asked for them even once. I've even openly given them out which is a mistake but they've never been called.

Maybe I just show confidence but with your skill set finding a gig without a reference ought to be doable.

EDIT - Honestly, I'd just compress what you wrote into a resume leaving out the bit about alcoholism. If pressed for references, just be honest, tell them you fell on hard times but you've recovered.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 20, 2015

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I hope you don't elude confidence :(

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Methanar posted:

I hope you don't elude confidence :(

Whoops, that's the wrong word... Heh

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

As far as references go, I've been in IT for almost a decade and no one has ever asked for them even once. I've even openly given them out which is a mistake but they've never been called.

The only time I've been asked for references was at the local high school, and they were incredibly persistent about getting them before hiring me. This is after I worked for them for 4 months as a contractor.

Chaka
Apr 20, 2011

Tab8715 posted:

I got the same email yesterday. My name, the date of the test and the test number are correct.

I did two certificates in one day. One where i was done after 20 minutes and one where i needed 45 of the 90 minutes (scored ~78% on that one). They flagged the latter one.
Ill probably have to tell them that i really am that smart - i hope thats enough of an excuse not to get the cert revoked...

Chaka fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Oct 20, 2015

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Wow, this sound familiar? http://www.computerworld.com/article/2994787/it-careers/bank-s-severance-deal-requires-it-workers-to-be-on-call-for-two-years.html

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

:psyduck: That can't be even remotely legal.

edit: What are they going to do if someone refuses? Fire them? :v:

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Oct 20, 2015

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

:psyduck: That can't be even remotely legal.

quote:

The bank's severance includes a "continuing cooperation" clause for a period of two years, where the employee agrees to "make myself reasonably available" to SunTrust "regarding matters in which I have been involved in the course of my employment with SunTrust and/or about which I have knowledge as a result of my employment at SunTrust."

Sorry! I have already worked 40 hours this week! I am not available and it is unreasonable to make myself available past 40 hours.

*Edit*

quote:

However, if the company called them and did not pay them, that is "a clear violation of the Fair Labor Standards Act," she said. That law establishes wage standards. There may be exceptions for participation in certain aspects of litigation, but Blackwell said, "this clause is too broad" and is likely unenforceable.

So really it should be: Haha pay me first or I sue you.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 20, 2015

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
How would SunTrust even enforce that? Sue them for not working for free? Fire them? Break their kneecaps?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The word "severance" is tossed in there, so it probably depends on if it's an actual severance package or not and, if so, whether or not the bank has fairly compensated them for it. If it's just laying them off and telling them to be on call, then lol.

e: Ah yeah, there's actually a section in the article about it. I'm not surprised, though, because despite the illegality of it all I'm sure there's plenty of Goons in Wells that will be more than happy to answer the phone instead of telling them to gently caress off. And SunTrust knows this.

psydude fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Oct 20, 2015

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Being the dubious person I am, I would have taken the severance and then never helped with anything. But then again I would have never gotten to that point because its going to be a cold day in hell when I am forced to train my replacement.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

psydude posted:

The word "severance" is tossed in there, so it probably depends on if it's an actual severance package or not and, if so, whether or not the bank has fairly compensated them for it. If it's just laying them off and telling them to be on call, then lol.

e: Ah yeah, there's actually a section in the article about it. I'm not surprised, though, because despite the illegality of it all I'm sure there's plenty of Goons in Wells that will be more than happy to answer the phone instead of telling them to gently caress off. And SunTrust knows this.

Yeah I am assuming it's tied to some severance package of $lots, which you are only eligible for if you agree to this ridiculous bullshit. Because if not, and they just expect people to comply, then :psyduck: Even then, it better be a huge-rear end sum of money.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
I have a BS in EE (power electronics, 3.8 GPA) and 5 years of Navy officer experience (Surface Warfare, managing gun, weapons, and radar systems).

I'm looking at going into IT management/network security type of job. How can I make this transition?

I understand that I'm way behind in terms of boots on the ground level of technical expertise but hoping to shore these up with a masters/focused certification program and then go into IT/network/security management type of role. I have experience managing infrastructure and complex equipment/programs, dunno how much that lends itself to the IT sector.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
How do you feel about working in Antarctica?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Chaka posted:

I got the same email yesterday. My name, the date of the test and the test number are correct.

I did two certificates in one day. One where i was done after 20 minutes and one where i needed 45 of the 90 minutes (scored ~78% on that one). They flagged the latter one.
Ill probably have to tell them that i really am that smart - i hope thats enough of an excuse not to get the cert revoked...

I have no idea if it's correct and I don't use my personal email address even for certifications.

I took a few IBM Exams over 6 months ago and I'd imagine if there was a discrepancy I'd know a hell of a lot earlier. I do know that I did re-take one or two exams so I kind of did know the answers the second around?

I emailed them back with that I don't use this email address and haven't got a reply. I'd check my old work email address but it doesn't exist. I had a previous co-worker call our IBM rep, he said they won't do anything but it's odd how the email is worded "We've detected you've use non-authorized IBM Study material, we're 100% sure, we won't change our minds but you may contact us at whatever@ibm.com."

Alternatively, not being employed with IBM, Partner or Vendor makes me rather unconcerned.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I'm reading some documentation and the whole thing rhymes. :allears:

quote:

The Fortinet Fable

Henceforth abandon Cisco we shall. We will make a Fortinet wireless LAN our new locale.

Ensure you have two wirelessly enabled clients, a domain controller and one wired client available before you begin. They will reside in the new kingdom without much in the way of the old sin.

quote:

Begin your sojourn; make like a soldier!
Authorize the AP to the Fortinet controller

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Methanar posted:

I'm reading some documentation and the whole thing rhymes. :allears:

This owns. Is it some weird marketing doc, or actual IT process documentation a coworker wrote?

At my last job we had no end of trouble with some UCS C-series servers. My coworker spent months off and on fighting various bullshit issues and slowly going insane. We had a wiki page for the project, and at one point he added a preface. It was the Terminator 2 intro voice over, replacing John Conner with himself and "the machines" with the C-series. I got a good laugh out of that one. Wish I had saved the exact wording.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I suppose you could call this internal documentation.

quote:

Create two SSIDs WITHOUT assigning a vlan tag. We will be using layer 3 policy routing later on and not vlans to determine permissions (what a drag). Enable DHCP to give out addresses to the SSID-specific subnet. For the Employee SSID push the internal DNS server and for the Guest SSID push an external DNS server, we do not want to allow any threat.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Howard Phillips posted:

I have a BS in EE (power electronics, 3.8 GPA) and 5 years of Navy officer experience (Surface Warfare, managing gun, weapons, and radar systems).

I'm looking at going into IT management/network security type of job. How can I make this transition?

I understand that I'm way behind in terms of boots on the ground level of technical expertise but hoping to shore these up with a masters/focused certification program and then go into IT/network/security management type of role. I have experience managing infrastructure and complex equipment/programs, dunno how much that lends itself to the IT sector.

My advice, just start applying to literally any management/security job you want, you're massively overqualified. I did an enlisted tour in the Navy and especially if you had a security clearance and decent performance evals, you can leverage that for a six-figure job where they'd hire you just for the clearance even if you're mediocre.

I have officer friends in the Navy and they all get into this mental pitfall of "Oh I only know how to do Navy stuff, how am I supposed to figure out things in the real world" when you've already overcome so much bullshit, anything in the private sector is trivialized in comparison.

But yeah, you're an officer, you're a Leader of Men for crying out loud!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Go straight to government contracting. Do not pass go, do not collect $100.

There's an old boys network of ex-military waiting for you to cushion your fall into civilian life, go talk to some of them if you need advice.

Don't let that clearance lapse.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Sickening posted:

Being the dubious person I am, I would have taken the severance and then never helped with anything. But then again I would have never gotten to that point because its going to be a cold day in hell when I am forced to train my replacement.

but if i server my masters good this one last time maybe they'll spare me!!!

:commissar:

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Docjowles posted:

My coworker spent months off and on fighting various bullshit issues and slowly going insane. We had a wiki page for the project, and at one point he added a preface. It was the Terminator 2 intro voice over, replacing John Conner with himself and "the machines" with the C-series. I got a good laugh out of that one. Wish I had saved the exact wording.

This is loving rad

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Yeah I don't really have a problem with this.

The bank's severance deal includes a "continuing cooperation" clause for a period of two years, where the employee agrees to "make myself reasonably available" to SunTrust "regarding matters in which I have been involved in the course of my employment with SunTrust and/or about which I have knowledge as a result of my employment at SunTrust."

I am reasonably available at an hourly rate of $250.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Yeah I don't really have a problem with this.

The bank's severance deal includes a "continuing cooperation" clause for a period of two years, where the employee agrees to "make myself reasonably available" to SunTrust "regarding matters in which I have been involved in the course of my employment with SunTrust and/or about which I have knowledge as a result of my employment at SunTrust."

I am reasonably available at an hourly rate of $250.
You missed this part.

This assistance can be by telephone or in-person meetings, and it may be provided without "additional consideration or compensation of any kind," the clause says.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
EDIT: beaten to the punch, shameful display.

captkirk fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 20, 2015

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Unenforceable then, it contradicts itself, speak to my lawyer.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Collateral Damage posted:

You missed this part.

This assistance can be by telephone or in-person meetings, and it may be provided without "additional consideration or compensation of any kind," the clause says.

It MAY be provided without additional consideration or compensation. That's okay, I think I'll not exercise that option and instead charge the normal $300/hour previous-employer rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I could accept a severance agreement like that if the severance payout was equal to at least two years' full pay and I could decide when and how I lend assistance.

I would also refuse to touch any system that I may have prior knowledge about but has since been hosed with by the new people.