Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?

Drakenel posted:

We've kind of slowly come up with shorthand nicknames for the specials, if anyone is confused when they hear them

Gutter Runner=Assassin

I like Sneaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Junkie Disease posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzj6EeFi_7U
Tell me there is clubs somewhere in this game.

so far i've unlocked a mace for the human soldier and a "battle scepter" (spiky mace) for the bright wizard. not sure if those count as clubs but you certainly do a lot of clubbing with them

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Is the beta still playable then? Or do I have to pre-order to continue playing it now?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I keep saying Snatcher for the Pack Master, Hooker Rat is a coming DLC special enemy (:gonk:)

Speaking of enemies, my wishlist!
Clan Skryre representin'
Warpfire-Thrower: Napalm flamethrower dudes with a lasting DoT effect. Big explodey backpack, lots of lightSFX and noise - short-ranged. A deadlier but more fragile Rattling-gunner. Lieks popping up in confined areas.
Warplock Jezzails: Snipers, Warpstone bullets. Very fragile, but likes scampering along roof-tops to snipe at you. Inaccurate first couple of shots with some tell-tale soundeffects, but will start hitting (and hard) after 1-2 shots. Fourth is a headshot for loads of damage. Take cover/Snipe back!
Doomwheel: More like a Rat Ogre counterpart. Big rear end wheel of poo poo coming your way. Big rear end resilient wheel that can crush you, surprisingly fast, and it shoots lightning too. Soft squishy crew inside that can be shot from the sides though.

Clan Pestilen:
Plague Monks: Stormvermin replacement, screams curses at you, goes into frenzy and are pretty drat tough. Melee DoTs. Maybe some sort of interesting curse system where you get hit for the rest of the level by some sort of random limitation? Not armored like Stormvermin, but more of them to make up for it (also attacks faster).
Plague Censer-Bearers: Can back up Plague Monks (randomly sprinkled inside). Wields giant spike-balls of warpstone and poison. Sorta like the gloabadier but for close combat (i.e DoT cloud, hits hard). Fanatical.

Clan Moulder:
Already got most of their signature guys in, but more Rat Ogre variants to spice things up, along with actual Rat swarms and Giant Rats. Can tie people down and swarm them (sorta like assassin, but less pouncy and more "wave of rats coming at you", weak to AoE.

Clan Eshin:
Night Runners: Weaker variants of the Gutter Runner, but without the glowing swords and always come in small packs? Might back up the occasional Gutter Runner. Hits like a Stormvermin, but dies like a slightly beefier Clanrat.

And of course:
Screaming Bell: gently caress this horn thing to summon Skaven Swarms. This bell tolls for thee. Probably an event fight at the end of a level, summons swarms of dudes, rolls around a big plaza. Does wonky effects.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 18, 2015

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Elpato posted:

I like Sneaker.

I just call them hunters, because that's what they basically are.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Pimpmust posted:

I keep saying Snatcher for the Pack Master, Hooker Rat is a coming DLC special enemy (:gonk:)

Maybe, but then we don't get to yell things like "IVE GOT A HOOKER ON ME" or "QUICK, KILL THE HOOKER" and giggle like we're twelve.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Has anyone done the math on dice rolls? A perfect run of the Magnus Horn gives you 2 perfect dice, 2 cursed dice 3/6 and 4 bonus dice 4/6. To get the orange on hard you need to roll all the dice perfectly and I'm wondering what the chance of that is, as opposed to Supply Run where you get no perfect dice and have to roll all the dice perfectly. But you only need to roll 5 out of 6 to get an orange.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Do we know what causes the loot table to sometimes improve, seemingly at random? I've had Hard runs where there are two possible oranges instead of one, for example.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Junkie Disease posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzj6EeFi_7U
Tell me there is clubs somewhere in this game.
You can get two handed hammers for the dwarf and the soldier and you will love them.

Drakenel posted:

Maybe, but then we don't get to yell things like "IVE GOT A HOOKER ON ME" or "QUICK, KILL THE HOOKER" and giggle like we're twelve.
Quality humor from mumble:
"Its like in real life, i'm a dwarf getting dragged away by hookers"
"What, is it Tuesday already?"

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

My first hard mode run had two oranges as well. Which of course I got. It was an orange repeater pistol for the empire soldier called Ursula with chance on hit to heal, +40%accuracy, and+30% ammo. I love it so much.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Dwarf seems to be all about the shield bash. EVERYONE FALL OVER. FOREVER.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I still just yell ASSASSINO!! when them stabby gits arrive.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Badly Jester posted:

Just so people can get a better picture of expected performance, I have the same system except for a 2500k (standard clock). I also run 1080p but use vsync and while it's generally running at 60fps, there are times when it dips down to ~40fps.

I know this is from a couple pages back, but you're going to get a huge boost by overclocking your CPU. This game is CPU-intensive and my 3570k isn't a big jump up from your 2500k. The biggest difference is that mine is OC to 4.2 GHz/core rather than stock. If your motherboard supports OC, a $20 Coolermaster aftermarket heatsink should solve all of your FPS-dipping issues in this game, assuming a future patch doesn't fix it.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Pimpmust posted:

Clan Skryre representin'
Warpfire-Thrower: Napalm flamethrower dudes with a lasting DoT effect. Big explodey backpack, lots of lightSFX and noise - short-ranged. A deadlier but more fragile Rattling-gunner. Lieks popping up in confined areas.
Warplock Jezzails: Snipers, Warpstone bullets. Very fragile, but likes scampering along roof-tops to snipe at you. Inaccurate first couple of shots with some tell-tale soundeffects, but will start hitting (and hard) after 1-2 shots. Fourth is a headshot for loads of damage. Take cover/Snipe back!
Doomwheel: More like a Rat Ogre counterpart. Big rear end wheel of poo poo coming your way. Big rear end resilient wheel that can crush you, surprisingly fast, and it shoots lightning too. Soft squishy crew inside that can be shot from the sides though.

Clan Pestilen:
Plague Monks: Stormvermin replacement, screams curses at you, goes into frenzy and are pretty drat tough. Melee DoTs. Maybe some sort of interesting curse system where you get hit for the rest of the level by some sort of random limitation? Not armored like Stormvermin, but more of them to make up for it (also attacks faster).
Plague Censer-Bearers: Can back up Plague Monks (randomly sprinkled inside). Wields giant spike-balls of warpstone and poison. Sorta like the gloabadier but for close combat (i.e DoT cloud, hits hard). Fanatical.

Clan Moulder:
Already got most of their signature guys in, but more Rat Ogre variants to spice things up, along with actual Rat swarms and Giant Rats. Can tie people down and swarm them (sorta like assassin, but less pouncy and more "wave of rats coming at you", weak to AoE.

Clan Eshin:
Night Runners: Weaker variants of the Gutter Runner, but without the glowing swords and always come in small packs? Might back up the occasional Gutter Runner. Hits like a Stormvermin, but dies like a slightly beefier Clanrat.

And of course:
Screaming Bell: gently caress this horn thing to summon Skaven Swarms. This bell tolls for thee. Probably an event fight at the end of a level, summons swarms of dudes, rolls around a big plaza. Does wonky effects.

Two of the levels shown earlier during conventions have destroying halfway-finished Doomwheels and a Screaming Bell respectively as set-pieces you need to do to advance the level.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Pimpmust posted:

Clan Skryre representin'

Clan Pestilen:

Clan Moulder:

Clan Eshin:

And of course:

There's also art for the game featuring a Grey Seer, and I think they've already said there are more specials not featured in the beta.

Anyway, I just grabbed this game for $20 (USD :argh:) from GMG using the code GMGMID-SEASON-25PERC so anyone wanting to save a few $ might want to pick it up from there.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Mordja posted:

There's also art for the game featuring a Grey Seer, and I think they've already said there are more specials not featured in the beta.

Anyway, I just grabbed this game for $20 (USD :argh:) from GMG using the code GMGMID-SEASON-25PERC so anyone wanting to save a few $ might want to pick it up from there.
you mispelled 25PER6

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Magni posted:

Two of the levels shown earlier during conventions have destroying halfway-finished Doomwheels and a Screaming Bell respectively as set-pieces you need to do to advance the level.

Neato (although I guess they might not actually get those big rear end vehicles to work in engine). Sounds like they are saving some cool poo poo for release.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
I think the real problem with them is that they'd be much more limited in where they can spawn - you can have a rat ogre or a stormvermin patrol basically anywhere, but the doomwheel wouldn't make much sense anywhere except wide-open areas like the big plaza after the gate event on Horn of Magnus and the bell's even larger.

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist

pls baby gimme a good one. (not hag bow)

o yaaaaaaa

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

President Ark posted:

I think the real problem with them is that they'd be much more limited in where they can spawn - you can have a rat ogre or a stormvermin patrol basically anywhere, but the doomwheel wouldn't make much sense anywhere except wide-open areas like the big plaza after the gate event on Horn of Magnus and the bell's even larger.

Thinking more as an actual boss fight to end a level, not a fight over "almost completed" IKEA set.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Dezztroy posted:

Do we know what causes the loot table to sometimes improve, seemingly at random? I've had Hard runs where there are two possible oranges instead of one, for example.

Your personal performance during the mission. The better you do with killing/aiding teammates the better your rewards

dogstile posted:

I just call them hunters, because that's what they basically are.

I find them tougher then hunters since these fuckers will actively runaway and hide if you spot them to come back for another go

President Ark
May 16, 2010

It's also fairly trivial to kill hunters once they've landed on someone, whereas gutter runners will disappear only to tackle someone else ten seconds later if you don't do something that kills them instantly.

e: there's also no moment more :stonk: inducing than being on a ledge, looking down, seeing a gutter runner in the street below you, and writing him off as a non-immediate threat only for him to launch himself at you like a furry ballistic missile.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 18, 2015

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
I've been able to kill gutter runners by meleeing them before the smoke puff after their backflip, repeatedly. Still kind of a pain in the rear end though.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, just charge and swing constantly. It'll be stunned and you'll kill it before it gets away.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Deakul posted:

Is the beta still playable then? Or do I have to pre-order to continue playing it now?

Reinstalled it to try it out myself, the beta's over for those of us that didn't pre-order.
Welp, was fun while it lasted.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
Just got orange drakefire pistols and it had a "reduce spread by 40%" enchantment so now I have a sniper flame thrower.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I shotgunned a gutter runner off the map by sniping him mid-leap. It was wonderful.

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
If it wasn't posted before, you can hit "L" whilst at the inn to get a list of currently running servers

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The last few pages of people praising the game convinced me, plus getting 35% off doesn't hurt. Glad this game is good fun, as Skaven are (were) the army I played in Fantasy.

Magile
May 20, 2008
I had the unfortunate experience of being in a bad pub group last night; however, it allowed me to see something pretty drat awesome.

My character was dragged away by a Packmaster -- and when I say dragged away, I mean I was taken for a ride and no one followed up because, again, horrible experience. Apparently, once the Packmaster deems you appropriately far away, he lifts you into the air and plans the pole into the ground, leaving you suspended in the air to choke to death on the pole while he goes off and does other things. I mean, I know it describes that in the game info, but I've never actually seen it happen before. It's pretty drat cool, albeit a reality check to get the hell out of the game with those you were playing with.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Conflagration staff and fire sword I never want to play anything but bright wizard.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Magile posted:

I had the unfortunate experience of being in a bad pub group last night; however, it allowed me to see something pretty drat awesome.

My character was dragged away by a Packmaster -- and when I say dragged away, I mean I was taken for a ride and no one followed up because, again, horrible experience. Apparently, once the Packmaster deems you appropriately far away, he lifts you into the air and plans the pole into the ground, leaving you suspended in the air to choke to death on the pole while he goes off and does other things. I mean, I know it describes that in the game info, but I've never actually seen it happen before. It's pretty drat cool, albeit a reality check to get the hell out of the game with those you were playing with.

Yeah that happened to a bot once. It seems terrifying, the Packmasters are WAY worse than Smokers ever were.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Magile posted:

This is how my very first game ended, just minutes after we started.

I really enjoy this game, but I'm not very good at it. What is the general consensus for how best to use the more melee-oriented classes? I've played a couple rounds as both dwarf and soldier and I've found that, if I go 1H+shield, I can be fairly safe but have great difficulty doing enough damage to help much, but with a two-handed weapon I'm a walking threshing machine but you frequently get surrounded and mauled. Any good general tips?

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Grondoth posted:

Yeah that happened to a bot once. It seems terrifying, the Packmasters are WAY worse than Smokers ever were.

I've found packmasters are crazy because at any given time you only have one or two precision ranged to kill it with, and because when it's dragging someone away, it uses them as a shield for your shots. Very dangerous if they get into an area with corners and stairs and whatnot, they can drag you for ages with your teammates struggling to actually get it in view.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

My favorite weapon unlocks so far are: 50% reduced reload speed on ranged weapons. Chance for 30% increased attack speed on a melee kill (this owns on two handers) and better pushback. In some situations increased stamina is also useful because 4 shields lets you fully block a blow from a storm rat.

prussian advisor posted:

I really enjoy this game, but I'm not very good at it. What is the general consensus for how best to use the more melee-oriented classes? I've played a couple rounds as both dwarf and soldier and I've found that, if I go 1H+shield, I can be fairly safe but have great difficulty doing enough damage to help much, but with a two-handed weapon I'm a walking threshing machine but you frequently get surrounded and mauled. Any good general tips?

The greatsword on the soldier is a really good tradeoff on speed and reach. You can kill huge packs of rats by doing charged attacks to cleave and stepping backwards and forwards to avoid blows and get more reach. The hammer is also useful for this but its slower and it's harder to avoid attacks. You want to make good use of pushback (hold block and attack) to keep the line of enemies away from you because it's crucially important to avoid damage. Positioning is also very important but it really depends on your team for this. On vermin tides stand in tight corridors if you can and hold them off. Specials should be picked off with powerful single target ranged weapons.

The most important thing to learn though is just basic blocking, pushback and how to attack without taking damage. If you turn around and there's a rat make pushback your default action instead of trying to swing, it'll give you a little room and more time to evaluate your situation.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 18, 2015

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010

prussian advisor posted:

This is how my very first game ended, just minutes after we started.

If you go 1h+shield your job is going to be holding down chokepoints for someone else to put the hurt. If you're finding yourself surrounded too often it means you're pushing too far into the swarm without teammates behind you.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Grondoth posted:

I'd compare the packmaster more to the jockey, but yeah, packmasters are much, much more nasty. They can grab you from a surprisingly long range. The fact that they drag people around from a distance makes them a lot more difficult to hit than the jockey, which was as easy as "shoot the top of your buddy's outline". If nobody has used their spot key on em, they can be tough to make out among a swarm of rats that's undoubtedly blocking all of your shots. And ranged weaponry in this game isn't anywhere near as powerful as that in Left 4 Dead, making it a pain to pick them off before they run off with your buddy. I definitely fear packmasters more than any of the other special skaven.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Magile posted:

They don't just go off to do whatever, they somehow find another hook and will impale someone else. I had a game go south at the end of Supply & Demand where a single packmaster managed to spike 3 of us.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Skandranon posted:

They don't just go off to do whatever, they somehow find another hook and will impale someone else. I had a game go south at the end of Supply & Demand where a single packmaster managed to spike 3 of us.

Same but on the horn. We were cheesing the end by the ammo resupply and he dragged off 3 of us when we got too far forward. People chased but there were always too many in the way and he was planting us right around the corner. Serves us right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

In regards to both "how do I get good with sword and board" and "gently caress packmasters :gonk:": The handgun for the dwarf/soldier does a shitload of damage. I'm only up to hard but it's still instakilling everything except armored enemies and rat ogres on bodyshots and instakilling armored enemies on headshots. It's also really accurate.

e: Also, just for fun, that isn't just a hook they're getting you with, it's a hook with spikes in the middle so that if you struggle it tears your throat out. It's surprisingly hard to get a good image of those things but this guy is holding one.

• Locked thread