Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Descar posted:

because your amx30 will crush the lights it meets, while the lights has to flee t10 mediums.

fast mediums make lights obsolete, they can do the same role, just with better armor, hp and gun, and can go toe to toe against any tank they meet.

much like how tanks have evolved in real life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Final report for the A-44: Whatever small affection I was developing for the tank dissipated over the last few days I had it. A dozen bad battles in a row due entirely to the awful gun and terrible module placement. I thought I could make it the last little bit to the Obj. 416, but gave up and blew 16k free XP just to get it out of my garage.

gently caress you, A-44. You won't be missed.

You've finally figured out what we've been telling you all along. Oh well, you ground it further than I did! :toot:

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon

Soulfucker posted:

paging Atal Vataman to sperg out about how wrong this is

edit:

2PAC did skirmishes again.

Grosstraktor goes fast but shoots slow ffs! Wr should be slightly higher tbh

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Tankers in Typhoon's way

When the topic of Soviet tankers and the Battle for Moscow is raised, one immediately thinks of Katukov and his 4th brigade. In the shadow of this great commander lie a great many units and formations, fighting to stop the Wehrmacht mere kilometers from Moscow and then push them back westward. This is a story of one of those brigades.

It happened in October of 1941, when Typhoon (the German offensive towards Moscow) was raging in full force. The enemy penetrated the front in the central direction and encircled several armies of the Reserve and Western Fronts near Vyazma. By the middle of October, a part of those forces managed to break out and retreat to the Mozhaisk defensive line. New forces were needed in order to hold the front here, new forces that the Red Army was desperately lacking. In order to win time for moving up reserves and shoring up defenses, six newly formed tank brigades were thrown into battle near Mozhaisk and Maloyaroslavets, including the 22nd brigade.

Tankers help out Panfilov's men

Like many other units of the time, the 22nd Tank Brigade was rushed to formation from October 2nd to October 11th. The day after, the brigade was sent to the front, subordinate to the 5th Army.

The rush in formation did not have a positive effect on the unit's equipment. According to the standards, the brigade was to have 7 heavy KV tanks, 33 T-34s, and 32 "small" tanks: T-30s or T-40s. In reality, there were no KV tanks, and 7 T-34s were issued instead. 12 of the light vehicles were BT tanks from tank schools, whose parts were almost completely worn out. No armoured cars for reconnaissance and control companies were issued at all. However, the brigade did get 8 rare ZiS-30 tank destroyers, consisting of a 57 mm gun on an armoured Komsomolets chassis.

The majority of the brigade's soldiers were recently conscripted. The difficult situation did not allow them to properly prepare. They would have to learn to fight in battle.

The front lines changed rapidly. As a result, the 22nd brigade was pulled apart. On October 13th, Captain Kozhanov's group (14 tanks and a motorized infantry company) was sent to Borovsk. Engaging the enemy, the group managed to disperse German infantry and knock out 7 tanks at the cost of 4 of their own. The offensive towards Borovsk was stopped for now. However, the group did not return to the brigade, remaining to fight in that sector.

Soon the brigade received new orders and set out to help the 16th Army at Volokolamsk. Covering 200 km in two marches, the brigade reached the Konyashevo-Chertanovo region. Here, it joined the ranks of Panfilov's 316th Infantry Division.

The tankers' arrival was very well timed, as the German 2nd Tank Division delivered a powerful attack towards Knyazhevo on that day. By the evening, they surrounded a whole battalion of Soviet forces. Panfilov decided to counterattack with tanks of the 22nd brigade. At 18:00, 10 T-34s and 9 T-30s attacked the enemy that was fighting the encircled battalion. The Germans, not expecting to see tanks, retreated, and the battalion was saved. For decisive and successful action, Major-General Panfilov declared his personal gratitude to the 22nd brigade.

Battle at Mozhaisk

The tankers barely had time to catch their breath after Knyazhevo when they received new orders from the commander of the Western Front. On October 18th, the brigade once more undertook a long march to Pushkino, where they were finally supposed to reach the 5th Army. The 80 kilometer off-road march left its mark: several BT tanks and 3 tank destroyers fell behind for repairs.

The commander of the 5th Army committed a common mistake for the initial period of the war, sending the brigade to battle straight from the march, without waiting for it to completely congregate or perform reconnaissance. The consequences of using small groups of tanks in this manner are predictably grim.

One of these groups, consisting of an infantry company and AT riflemen, was supposed to take up defensive positions at a crossroads 5 kilometers south of Mozhaisk. The commander of the 5th Army told them that the 17th Infantry Regiment was already holding positions there. Soldiers from the 22nd brigade confidently marched without reconnaissance, certain that they were walking towards their allies. However, once they arrived, it turned out that there were no Soviet forces there, but instead a large amount of Germans. A night battle ensued, and the group was surrounded, taking heavy losses.

The tanks of the brigade were also split up. 7 tanks were sent to defend Mozhaisk. By the time they reached the city, it turned out that it was already occupied by Germans. Two tanks were sent to perform reconnaissance, but were destroyed.

13 more tanks were given to the 20th Tank Brigade and fought for five days against a numerically superior German force at the Moscow-Mozhaisk highway. Here, our tankers knocked out six German tanks and killed over a hundred soldiers and officers. Lieutenant Sorokopudov excelled, destroyed three German tanks, as well as Lieutenant Aladinskiy, destroying two tanks, a gun, and about 25 soldiers.

On October 22nd, 1941, a new order was issued by the commander of the 5th Army. The 22nd brigade along with the 50th Infantry Division was supposed to take and hold the Dorohovo settlement, located on the Moscow-Mozhaisk highway, along the primary German axis of attack.

Turning point for the 22nd brigade

By October 23rd, the brigade was in rough shape. Only 20 tanks remained functional, and the motorized infantry battalion nearly ceased to exist: almost all of it was encircled at Mozhaisk, breaking out in small groups. The tankers' support consisted of an AA squadron, who placed their machineguns and 37 mm cannons in ambush around Dorohovo.

In the early morning, the German 10th Tank Division delivered a powerful attack from the west along the highway. Under the enemy advance, the riflemen of the 50th Infantry Divison routed, refusing to support tank counterattacks that the 22nd brigade attempted to carry out. The defense of the settlement was down to the tankers and AA gunners. Their situation became even more difficult when German infantry approached from the south.

The defense of the settlement lasted from 7 am to 6 pm. Tankers and AA gunners managed to knock out 6 German tanks, several trucks, two 37 mm guns, and about a hundred soldiers and officers. The AA squadron reported shooting down two planes.

By the evening, the situation looked grim. Soviet forces in the village (especially the AA gunners) suffered serious losses and were under threat of encirclement. Thankfully, an order was received from their superiors allowing retreat.

During October 24th-25th, Soviet forces performed a fighting retreat. Tanks from the 22nd brigade staged ambushes with two or three tanks and performed reconnaissance raids. Sadly, the 50th Infantry Division wavered once more, leaving our tankers without cover. Another problem came from mines, which sappers from the 5th Army generously spread in the depth of Soviet defenses. Nobody was left to guard these minefields, nor was there a diagram composed. A report from the 22nd brigade reads: "...3 transport trucks and 1 tank destroyer blew up on our own mines. 2 killed, 3 injured. These losses are the result of criminal negligence of the engineering service of the 5th Army."

Pulling up their forces, the Red Army attempted to knock the enemy out of Dorohovo, Trufanovka, and Boltino on October 26th. This time, a lot more attention was paid to the cooperation of infantry and tanks. Infantry followed tanks into battle, cementing their success. This cooperation yielded results. After three days of fighting, the Germans were thrown back about 8 kilometers. 6 tanks from the 22nd brigade were knocked out, but all were salvageable. The Germans lost one medium tank, 12 AT guns, about 200 soldiers and officers, 3 aircraft. Our forces captured 6 cars, 2 AT guns, 100 rifles, and other trophies. After this battle, the 22nd brigade got 3 days of rest before the next battle.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Atal Vataman posted:

Grosstraktor goes fast but shoots slow ffs! Wr should be slightly higher tbh

I hear that tank can actually be kind of fun until it sees Tier V.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon

RanKizama posted:

I hear that tank can actually be kind of fun until it sees Tier V.

It carries a heat shell with 100+ pen that makes t5s manageable. it also has the health pool of a t4

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Atomizer posted:

You've finally figured out what we've been telling you all along. Oh well, you ground it further than I did! :toot:

I knew it was garbage 10 battles in. I kept grinding as a test of psychological fortitude. In the end, the A-44 defeated me.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Atal Vataman posted:

It carries a heat shell with 100+ pen that makes t5s manageable. it also has the health pool of a t4

Doesn't it also have the armor of a Tier II and the size of a Tier VI?

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon

RanKizama posted:

Doesn't it also have the armor of a Tier II and the size of a Tier VI?

Armour of a t0 size if a t10.

On the other hand, it was by reverse side scraping their grosstraktors the Germans won the battle of Stalingrad. Makes u think

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Atomizer posted:

Going into a little more detail though, 250 gold is worth 100k credits. You could make 100k credits over 2-3 decent tier 8 premium tank games, or even one really solid game. If you were playing lower tiers, making 20k a game, premium account would give you an extra 10k per game, meaning you'd break even by playing 10 games in a day. So, if you only have time to play a few games, you could skip the premium account, but any time you play a long session just do it. This doesn't even touch on the extra XP, which helps the grind and makes your future games easier.

I've been playing a lot, have a gaggle of tier 3-5 tanks and get an average of 559 xp per game but i don't know my average silver gain. Is there a way to know how much siver i get per xp so I can figure out if I can gain more than 100k in a day?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Baron Porkface posted:

I've been playing a lot, have a gaggle of tier 3-5 tanks and get an average of 559 xp per game but i don't know my average silver gain. Is there a way to know how much siver i get per xp so I can figure out if I can gain more than 100k in a day?

you're thinking too hard about this just get a goddamn Churchill 3 and hold W and hold left click.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I can't let 650 gold go to waste i've got to save up for a McMuffin.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Hellsau posted:

It costs fifty loving dollars for a tank without preferential matchmaking that gets HEAT for its gold ammo and can never afford to be spotted at any range, and that will be instantly oneshot by any artillery shot that hits it directly.

Fifty US dollars is like twenty loafs of bread, or 200 Airheads, or like 27 ounces of Funyuns, or ten nights with your mom. It is a hefty amount of money to spend on the Scorpion.

I realize that 50 bucks is steep, but I wasn't really looking for purchase arguments since I wasn't planning on grabbing it anyway. I was more trying to find out what made it so objectively bad after having 10-12 really fun games in it where its only major downside seemed to be it's blatant vulnerability.

Now that I've gone through 30 games and trained both my Hellcat and T67 crew back up and into the second skill, I've started to get how hard its inability to carry or even survive hits, but I'm still flabbergasted at how well I've been doing in it since I've never had a non-sealclubbing tank in which I could average around 2800 WN8 over 20-30 games straight. I just really seem to be doing okay with the ninja firesupport role, even though it counts for diddlysquat when my team implodes.

But as my performance in the CDC has shown, I'm not good at carrying in most tanks.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Duzzy Funlop posted:

But as my performance in the CDC has shown, I'm not good at carrying in most tanks.

The CDC is not a carry tank, hence my 8 battles in it in pub matches and 200 battles in it in Strongholds. It's very good at supporting two good platoonmates or the rare decent human being on your team, but it excels at chipping away at the enemy from multiple locations and running the gently caress away when your shitheads run out of HP.

I am not a fan of the Scorpion because that gun throws shots and playing it optimally is the unfun lovely Waffentrager playstyle that is horrible and awful and shouldn't be supported or encouraged by Wargaming. If I wanted to sit in one spot and click my mouse button and watch numbers get bigger I'd play Cookie Clicker.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Baron Porkface posted:

Go here, download OMC ModPack: http://odemmortis.com/odem-mortis-modpack/

Install it, run it, select mods that you think you'd like but be on the lookout for ones that show after-battle stats. When you have one of those, it'll give you detailed statistics throughout your session, including total & average credits & xp, win ratio, etc.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Hellsau posted:

tl:dr the Hellcat used to be bananas and none of us will ever experience that magic again. See also pre-HEAT nerf 105mm M4/VK2801, tier 5 Schmalturm Pz4, broken gold Konisch VK3601h, LTraktor before newbies getting 100% crews and the initial matchmaking changes, old broken leFH (different from current broken leFH, 104 HEAT pen is poo poo), fast FV304, pre-Cruiser T18, etc.

We didn't start the fire
It goes on and on and on and on

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I realize that 50 bucks is steep, but I wasn't really looking for purchase arguments since I wasn't planning on grabbing it anyway. I was more trying to find out what made it so objectively bad after having 10-12 really fun games in it where its only major downside seemed to be it's blatant vulnerability.

Now that I've gone through 30 games and trained both my Hellcat and T67 crew back up and into the second skill, I've started to get how hard its inability to carry or even survive hits, but I'm still flabbergasted at how well I've been doing in it since I've never had a non-sealclubbing tank in which I could average around 2800 WN8 over 20-30 games straight. I just really seem to be doing okay with the ninja firesupport role, even though it counts for diddlysquat when my team implodes.

The Scorpion's gun is really, really bad. Low alpha and dpm. Low shell velocity. Poor accuracy beyond 200m. HEAT instead of APCR. Slow gun traverse. Awful bloom on moving. It's just a nasty mix of suck with mutually-supporting weaknesses. None of this would be as crippling on a platform that could bounce shells reliably or relocate when spotted.

Now, if it got a dpm and shell velocity buff, it might be worth another look. Stabilize that gun a bit and now you've got a pretty good sniper platform.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Hellsau posted:

See also pre-HEAT nerf 105mm M4/VK2801
I'll never forget that old HEAT 105mm M4. I remember there being some kind of special in it at some point (fourth of july maybe?) and you could just platoon with 2 other goons and run around and get hilarious kill/damage/win rates while grinding out awesome credits. RIP

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

cheese posted:

I'll never forget that old HEAT 105mm M4. I remember there being some kind of special in it at some point (fourth of july maybe?) and you could just platoon with 2 other goons and run around and get hilarious kill/damage/win rates while grinding out awesome credits. RIP

Yeah, it had 150mm pen. And one goon out of three could run a 105mm PzIV w mostly HE and fire third into the rear or the tracks. The PzIV was faster so it could get around the butt of whatever you were wolfpacking. Good times. Matches rarely lasting more than 4 minutes

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Just gonna drop this off here:

From the WoT Blitz reviews on the Google Play store. Shitlord pubbie "Nicholas Johnson" wants to ruin Blitz by adding "artillery tanks" like they have on his "brothers wot on computer". DIAF, Nicholas.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
What's the point of WoT blitz. Fun?

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Apparently I have $25 amazon credit (via amazon app only, limiting choices). There are two options on how to use it:

1.) Buy a Ram II package with 50k silver, 1500 gold for $20. $5 left for I dunno what

OR

2.) A Locust pack and PzS35 french thing pack, totalling 100k silver, 1450 gold for the full $25.

All tanks come with 100% crew and slots. I think the Ram will be marginally more useful, but need advice. No, I can't get just gold, or anything I can physically hold in my hand, otherwise I'd buy something enjoyable.

Missing Name fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 18, 2015

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Is there any way you can spend that money on something other than tanks?

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Bleremiah posted:

Is there any way you can spend that money on something other than tanks?

Games, game apps and certain game items only. It's the only game I have that applies

E.) Might not work at all actually, I'm trying to figure it out

Ee.) gently caress, packs are technically a subscription, no dice

Missing Name fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 18, 2015

frood
Aug 26, 2000
Nevermind.
:siren:If anyone has an Incinerator mission to get done, you need to play today.:siren:

I did my Incinerator in 1 game by: taking my Cromwell B, putting 10 HE shells in it, and shooting at the front of Scorpions. (Not the gun, the actual body of them). They light on fire on the second shot, every time. I caused 4 fires in the game in question. Do you Incinerator today because you're never gonna have another chance like this.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
poo poo I thought I posted this already, I hope I didn't put it in some other thread :ohdear:
Anyway, the O-I is pretty cool:

2250 blocked by armour too!

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 18, 2015

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Panther Defeat at Bretteville-l’Orgueilleuse

Operation Overlord began on June 6th, 1944. American, British, and Canadian forces landed on five beaches on the shores of Normandy, opening the Western Front in Europe. In order to successfully develop this offensive, the Allies had to capture the city of Caen. This was the key to south-eastern France.

The attempt to take Caen from the march failed. The Germans threw considerable forces into the defense of the city, stopping the Canadian and British advance. To make matters worse, the Germans were gathering additional forces for a counteroffensive against the landed Allies. On June 7th-9th, the Germans delivered a series of local counterattacks to strengthen their position before the offensive. The fiercest battles here were fought by the Canadians near Rots, Bretteville-l’Orgueilleuse, and Norrey-en-Bessin.

A hurried strike

The 12th SS Tank Division was armed with Panther tanks, among others, and was a force to be reckoned with. The first three companies of Panthers (about 40 tanks) arrived on the front on June 8th and attacked immediately in an attempt to capture Rots. Canadian infantry did not resist for long and retreated to Bretteville where they could rely on prepared defenses.

When German forces neared Bretteville, they came under fire from AT guns, tanks, and grenade launchers. As a result, several tanks were knocked out and burned. Canadian Joe Lapointe entered a duel with a Panther, and knocked it out with three shots from his PIAT. This was one of the most successful attacks on a Panther with this type of weapon. German infantry was similarly unsuccessful, and retreated. The Panthers followed.

Failing to take Bretteville and Norrey at night, the Germans decided to repeat their attacks during the day. However, they were unable to create a truly powerful force, since the 12th SS was attacking in pieces. Not only did this reduce its offensive capabilities, but prevented the establishment of proper cooperation between tanks and infantry.

On June 9th, at noon, 1st and 3rd Panther companies (about 25 tanks) began an offensive at Norrey. Another company covered their attacks by shooting from standstill. German infantry did not support this attack, likely because they were pinned down by Allied artillery fire. Tanks had to manage with 20-30 soldiers.

Panthers rushed towards Norrey at maximum speed. Tanks from the first company made a short stop and fired upon the church steeple to knock out potential artillery observers. After that, the company moved forward once more. Before the Germans even reached the village, they came under fire from AT guns. A short battle ensued. Even though the Germans destroyed a handful of Canadian guns without any losses, the commander decided to not tempt fate and retreat. This was the only action taken by 1st company on June 9th.

Nightmare at Bretteville-l’Orgueilleuse

3rd company has a darker fate in store for them. The company was commanded by Captain Ludeman, hurriedly appointed to replace the prior commander, who was wounded in battle. Little is known about this man, not even his first name.

12 tanks from the company advanced rapidly along the railroad. Ludeman ordered them to reduce speed and turn left towards Norrey. He assumed that this would turn the Panthers' front armour against Canadian AT guns. He thought wrong. In a few seconds, the Panthers were indeed fired upon, but from the right, not from the front. In only a few minutes, five tanks were destroyed and two more knocked out.

Everything happened so quickly that German tankers did not have time to find out who was shooting at them. Panthers caught fire, their crews tried to escape as quickly as possible. Everyone who was in that battle recalls it with horror.

A tank commanded by a man called Hermani (no rank or name was recorded) was hit in the right side of the turret. The shell flew under the loader's seat and ignited. Hermani was an experienced tanker and did not lock his hatch. Thanks to this, he was the first to exit his tank. The gunner had to move through the flame, and he suffered severe burns. On the edge of the hatch, the gunner tore off his intercom cable and jumped down, right on the radio operator. The radio operator screamed, thinking that a tank has crushed him.

Another Panther's commander peeked out of his turret to take a better look and was killed by a direct hit from a shell. Another tank suffered significant damage to its tracks and wheels, but rentained the ability to move and limped away. Some of the disabled Panthers had their turrets torn off by exploding ammunition.

The remainder of 3rd company retreated, not having seen their enemy. Many tankers were shocked by what they saw and experienced. Ludeman had a nervous breakdown and he was sent to a hospital, where he took several days to recover. One German officer that observed the slaughter of his Panthers recalled "I wanted to cry from the fury and sorrow."

Anti-tank Fireflies

Who destroyed those Panthers? These were Sherman tanks from a reserve unit, coming to reinforce the Canadian 1st Hussars Tank Regiment. Out of the nine tanks, several were Firefly modifications, equipped with 17-pounder 76.2 mm guns, capable of penetrating any German tank.

When the Germans went in to attack Norrey, the Shermans were located next to Bretteville. The Panthers from the 3rd company showed their sides perfectly to the Canadian tanks. The range was a mere 900 meters, so the first shells found their targets.

Lieutenant Henry's tank excelled in this battle. His gunner knocked out five Panthers with five hits. Another two Fireflies scored one kill each. All Shermans fired on the Panthers, so several were hit more than once. Regular Shermans fired HE, capable of confusing the enemy and buttoning them down, making it difficult to find targets. This is why the Germans were unable to discover their attacker.

Canadian Shermans were in the right place, in the right time. Even though the German attack was unexpected, the Canadians organized quickly and were performed admirably, with no losses on their side. The Germans once again were shown that hurried organization and rash action causes failure. This was the first victory of Canadian Shermans over German Panthers.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

The Scorpion's gun is really, really bad. Low alpha and dpm. Low shell velocity. Poor accuracy beyond 200m. HEAT instead of APCR. Slow gun traverse. Awful bloom on moving. It's just a nasty mix of suck with mutually-supporting weaknesses. None of this would be as crippling on a platform that could bounce shells reliably or relocate when spotted.

Now, if it got a dpm and shell velocity buff, it might be worth another look. Stabilize that gun a bit and now you've got a pretty good sniper platform.

Yeah, I only think I noticed the gun-handling at range after Hellsau mentioned it. Previously, I felt comfortable it due to my performance and wasn't that upset about missing shots at range since I was still usually in concealment. Towards the end of my run, normalization reminded me of my inability to carry and I finished the last 20 games with a 49% WR, despite 1500 average damage and 3230 WN8. (Though that seems higher than what my ingame summary said, does Noobmeter read out or calculate a different value for WN8 somehow? It's almost 350 in WN8 off)

It worked nicely as a crew trainer for those 2 days, though.

Speaking about hidden stats: How does one assess the qualities of a gun that makes shots go wide at range or "throw" shots?
And someone explain the difference between HEAT and APCR in the game again, specifically what not to shoot HEAT at (or something along those lines), I think this may have been the first time I've consciously played a tank that even got that round.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Yeah, I only think I noticed the gun-handling at range after Hellsau mentioned it. Previously, I felt comfortable it due to my performance and wasn't that upset about missing shots at range since I was still usually in concealment. Towards the end of my run, normalization reminded me of my inability to carry and I finished the last 20 games with a 49% WR, despite 1500 average damage and 3230 WN8. (Though that seems higher than what my ingame summary said, does Noobmeter read out or calculate a different value for WN8 somehow? It's almost 350 in WN8 off)

It worked nicely as a crew trainer for those 2 days, though.

Speaking about hidden stats: How does one assess the qualities of a gun that makes shots go wide at range or "throw" shots?
And someone explain the difference between HEAT and APCR in the game again, specifically what not to shoot HEAT at (or something along those lines), I think this may have been the first time I've consciously played a tank that even got that round.

There isn't actually a stat that makes certain guns throw shots. I just like to complain about how the STB, JPanther and French tanks throw shots everywhere. Also I just like to complain in general.

HEAT is poo poo. It does not get normalization (APCR will favorably decrease the angle a shell hits by 2 degrees, AP get 5 degrees), if it hits spaced armor it gets hosed, and sometimes it just doesn't do anything. APCR also usually gets a much higher shell velocity.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Trying to get HT-12. Bounce 2 Jg Pz E 100 shots. Turns out they don't count because they both hit my vision device for 0 damage. :suicide:

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also, HEAT doesn't get the overmatch bonus, which allows AP and APCR to get bonus normalization when they hit armor 1/2 as thick as the shell caliber (ie, 45mm plate with a 90mm shell) as long as it didn't hit at a ricochet angle, and automatically penetrate any plate 1/3 their thickness (30mm plate with a 90mm shell). This is really bad because HEAT is the only ammunition type that will fail to penetrate thin-but-well-rounded parts of the tank like cupolas and turret tops, as well as bounce off thin side and rear armor that is at just slightly too steep an angle. This is balanced somewhat by the fact that HEAT ricochets at a higher angle than AP/APCR, but beyond a certain point the effective thickness of armor is very high, and normalization is way more useful than higher pen.

The upshot of this is that HEAT is useless unless you have a reliable shot on a flat plate at a good angle.

Terrorist Fistbump fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 19, 2015

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
What's the baseline for Ace Tanker in the T-34-85? This poo poo took a lot of work.

Also took the M56 out for a rental run. I don't really care for it all that much. It was very okay.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I do not believe the E-25 should get preferential matchmaking when the Scorpion doesn't. The Scorpion has the good forward speed and camo of the E-25, and loses more armor, turning speed, accuracy, and DPM. Even accounting for the better pen on the Scorpion, the actual applied DPM for the E-25 is way way higher than the Scorpion's maybe-hit every couple shots.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

The E-25 should have its size corrected.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

RanKizama posted:

What's the baseline for Ace Tanker in the T-34-85? This poo poo took a lot of work.
It's around 1100 base XP. Congrats on the ace!

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
An excerpt from the daily Q&A at Status Report

quote:

- Developers will now start working hard on fixing the current gameplay problems
- Why was the new decal system implemented and not for example perk rebalance? "Because it's 50-100 times easier."
- Regarding perk rebalance: "Everything will come in the future. But we need time."

Storm addresses players regarding the new decal system in 10.0:

"I will repeat myself - your whining about these bonuses is caused first and foremost by the fact that they aren't fixing the known issues in the game that have accumulated in sufficiently high amount and that exist for a long time now. The "it's not realistic" argument is just a surrogate reason to post negative stuff. If we added the bonuses 2-3 years ago, they'd be perceived quite differently.

It is not our mistake that instead of fixing problems we are adding new features. Let me repeat one more time - we are step by step reorienting towards fixing the most painful issues of the game. Starting roughly from the start of 2016, the development will deal exclusively with that. I hope this concludes the emblem question."

Obnoxious devs being dismissive as always of legitimate complaints, but at least they're admitting their game isn't the flawless gem they've insisted it was in the past. AW's success is really spooking them.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

21280 WN8

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

It's around 1100 base XP. Congrats on the ace!
Thanks. I got lucky because while I was fending off a Church III, T1 Heavy, T-34-85, and KV-1 in our cap, the Leopard and SU-85I both got behind me from the middle road. Fortunately they were both terrible shots and I was able to make short work of them before returning to my base defense. Meanwhile, our O-I from [B_I_A] pretty much solo-stomped his way through all the enemies in the town. The two of us pretty much made up the entirety of our team.

>> REPLAY <<

RanKizama fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Oct 19, 2015

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I got HT-12, but it was a loss so I didn't get the bonus. I did 7.5k damage in my ST-I, and nobody else on my team broke 1500. gently caress this game. :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

McGavin posted:

I got HT-12, but it was a loss so I didn't get the bonus. I did 7.5k damage in my ST-I, and nobody else on my team broke 1500. gently caress this game. :smithicide:

The bonuses only matter on XX-15. Yeah a few extra credits are nice on some of the missions, but who really cards about a few thousand free XP or a couple days premium time or a garage slot or whatever?