Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Broseph Brostar posted:

There's a lot of depth to Killer7 that makes the plot almost impenetrable, so I don't blame you for dismissing it as randomly cobbled together nonsense, but its one of the few games that makes a good argument for video games as art.

My favourite part about Killer7 is Capcom literally had to release a book to explain the plot to people. Suda51's games are definitely not nonsense but actually deciphering them can be quite a task sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Killer 7 is a tin of the cheapest baked beans that thinks it's the highest quality caviar. Just like this post.

Why?

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

SeANMcBAY posted:

This and no date with Ocelot mission.:(

I never even considered this and now I'm even more sad :(

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Buschmaki posted:

Apparently they're going to be releasing zombie/snatcher side-ops as DLC, as well as the Tuxedo, the MGS3 Sneaking Suit, and EVA's outfit and the Boss' Sneaking Suit.

i need to find a s rank blonde recruit and play through entire game as the boss.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

RatHat posted:

My favourite part about Killer7 is Capcom literally had to release a book to explain the plot to people. Suda51's games are definitely not nonsense but actually deciphering them can be quite a task sometimes.

that book had a bunch of poo poo that outright contradicted the game so it didn't really help. a lot changed between the original concept and the end product

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

SeANMcBAY posted:

This and no date with Ocelot mission.:(

Ocelot subconsciously knows you're not the Snake he met in Tselinoyarsk, he wouldn't agree to going on one.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Do people in CD post proudly about not understanding movies?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Broseph Brostar posted:

Do people in CD post proudly about not understanding movies?

Short answer: yes.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Killer 7 is a loving mess and it just simply makes no loving sense even if things are explained to you.

I get it, you are not supposed to take everything at face value, but that make things make even less sense.

I mean, we start out with some conspiracy which then we ignore for most of the game, playing through silly bullshit stories, then it suddenly comes back only so the game ends explaining the main characters out of nowhere. Then in the epilouge we get a conclusion that makes no sense.

I mean, what the gently caress are Smiles supposed to be, every day terrorists? Mutants? Aliens? Hallucinations?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Smiles are people deliberately infected with a virus that makes them aggressive and an implanted suicide bomb.

Harman is an unreliable narrator. He's nutty, plagued by visions of people he's killed. The real story is figuring out WTF is going on with the characters. The nutty Japan/US thing is just there to provide a background, but it's so over the top and silly it distracts you from the stuff you're supposed to be paying attention to. If the game were more demure the whole plot would have worked a lot better and the reveals would have felt more impactful.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Bholder posted:

Killer 7 is a loving mess and it just simply makes no loving sense even if things are explained to you.

I get it, you are not supposed to take everything at face value, but that make things make even less sense.

I mean, we start out with some conspiracy which then we ignore for most of the game, playing through silly bullshit stories, then it suddenly comes back only so the game ends explaining the main characters out of nowhere. Then in the epilouge we get a conclusion that makes no sense.

I mean, what the gently caress are Smiles supposed to be, every day terrorists? Mutants? Aliens? Hallucinations?

killer7 is a well presented convoluted narrative in a mediocre game

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

K8.0 posted:

Smiles are people deliberately infected with a virus that makes them aggressive and an implanted suicide bomb.

Harman is an unreliable narrator. He's nutty, plagued by visions of people he's killed. The real story is figuring out WTF is going on with the characters. The nutty Japan/US thing is just there to provide a background, but it's so over the top and silly it distracts you from the stuff you're supposed to be paying attention to. If the game were more demure the whole plot would have worked a lot better and the reveals would have felt more impactful.

I always interpreted the majority of the game to be memory, altered by feelings of guilt, explaining why things were so associative, rather than linear-narrative. So it's not so much unreliable as it is post-hoc reinterpretation that is eventually made incongruous with the events of the final chapter.

Game's stylish as hell and has balls to strip so much gameplay, down to the pretense of character controlability. It may not be the best game, but it's one of the most experimental, and that's cool.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

It would play like F.E.A.R. 3 where one guys is a regular army guy with karate kicks and the other is a magic killing machine.

I mean like buddy system in this game. So you are Liquid, the most flamboyant and anime of all the Snakes and you can go into missions with Mantis or Sniper Wolf or Vulcan Raven etc. You could send Decoy Octopus into an enemy base in disguise.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I never played killer 7 because I thought it was the 7th iteration of some series I'd never heard of before.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

I mean like buddy system in this game. So you are Liquid, the most flamboyant and anime of all the Snakes and you can go into missions with Mantis or Sniper Wolf or Vulcan Raven etc. You could send Decoy Octopus into an enemy base in disguise.

I feel like the later members of FOXHOUND would be even more egregious when it comes to the "Quiet issue" - they'd be way more effective at effortlessly taking out an entire base than you are.

(maybe not Octopus)

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
So...This whole concept of Outer Heaven kinda died in the Caribbean real quick, but in the end, the idea and success of Outer Heaven wasn't the work of Big Boss, but by...YOU?! Is what i'm getting from this.

Everyone talked big about restarting Outer Heaven, all of the main characters, but in the end a Poor loyal soldier fooled into thinking he is big boss is the one who made it work the longest, lasting from 1984 till 1995.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think we're meant to take away Zanzibar Land was concurrent but lower profile to Outer Heaven in the 90s, but the really ironic part is the purest implementation of a world made for soldiers where they never need to betray their comrades was put into place by the Patriots.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Pretty much. The War Economy (And by extension the nightmare world of MGS4 and Rising) was what Big Boss, Miller, and Venom Snake were more or less fighting to create, though they were naive about it in some ways.

The Patriots just finished the job.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I was really hoping there'd be more event FOBs. I wonder if there will even be a new one after Mosquito's legacy is over.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Man I'm really looking forward to that free patch in which we'll get the rest of the game and ... aaahahahaha.

No seriously: has Kojima spoken in public about this game at all post-release i.e. in some kind of interview in which he described the development process? Has anyone reported about what really happened etc? Has Kojima signed some kind of nda or something? Where does he work now?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I'm pretty sure that when the story broke it was revealed that Konami has him under contract through December. Unless he's stupid he's not even going to talk to anyone but lawyers until his contract ends, and plan his actions after that.

Given that he's responsible for the hit of the year and becoming available only a few months after it drops, I'm sure there will be a huge bidding war over him between publishers. I would love to see him wind up with Squeenix. Aside from their lovely DLC policies, they've been the best publisher of the past few years.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

redreader posted:

Man I'm really looking forward to that free patch in which we'll get the rest of the game and ... aaahahahaha.

No seriously: has Kojima spoken in public about this game at all post-release i.e. in some kind of interview in which he described the development process? Has anyone reported about what really happened etc? Has Kojima signed some kind of nda or something? Where does he work now?

He's remaining tight-lipped. There's still stuff happening in the game (until at least the 27th, I think) so apparently there's something worth not spoiling. At the very least it looks like Chapter 3 will be accessible at some point and there's some plot thread about building/disarming nukes. A guy on NeverBeGameOver took a look at the code and it looks like we're waiting on someone at Konami to hit a switch on a server. At this point every 'reveal' post-launch has turned out to be piddly garbage so I've kind of lost interest. I really don't know if they've found any other cinemas besides the buildup/disarmament ones, so it could very well be that Chapter 3 is an 'event' and all we're going to get out of it is the two cinemas we've already seen anyway.

Kojima could stop all this ruse cruise bullshit at any time, but he doesn't. Something's probably coming, but story-wise it will almost assuredly be just as weak as the rest of the story.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ThomasPaine posted:

If I was being hyper critical I'd say the one thing that could have made the gameplay even better would be dynamic mgs4 style battles between different factions. Having a few mujahideen fighting the Soviets for control of outposts etc (or maybe more realistically just ambushing them/skirmishing). I liked the concept of sneaking through a warzone, and while v gets the perfect tone for that it's not really reflected in gameplay
Would be cool too if, instead of just having to deal with armored/tank units sitting still waiting for you to do the side op, you'd occasionally be made aware by your intel team of Soviet forces moving through the area, which could be transporting resources/prisoners/blue prints, or just a redeployment of forces, which you could then intercept to gain rewards. Whenever such a unit spawned there could be a chance of mujahideen units spawning too, which would carry out attacks on their own against the unit/convoy, which could assist or hinder your plans depending on your own goals. Stationary targets are fine and all, but given that the game is open world it would be nice to actually take advantage of the possibility of mobility.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Kojima makes good games but I'm not sure why he would be a hot item, I dont think MGSV has broke even? His games seem to be high budget and low return.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sylink posted:

Kojima makes good games but I'm not sure why he would be a hot item, I dont think MGSV has broke even? His games seem to be high budget and low return.
MGS is huge. The budget for V was ridiculously high but it's done really well so it'll probably make a comfortable profit.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Yeah, Kojima will have no trouble finding work. He's not like some of these other creators who are good creators but haven't seen large success outside of retro or classic games. He's always been bankable. So long as there's a reasonable mind in place to go "Okay but we must put out a game." For every evil publisher after all, there is the knowledge that you must have someone in control of the money or the developer may go insane.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Full Battle Rattle posted:

At the very least it looks like Chapter 3 will be accessible at some point and there's some plot thread about building/disarming nukes.
Kojima could stop all this ruse cruise bullshit at any time, but he doesn't. Something's probably coming, but story-wise it will almost assuredly be just as weak as the rest of the story.

Nice. I'm sure someone will believe that.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

You sure about that? Because Kojima's done non-Metal Gear stuff and none of it has really been as successful. Look at Boktai, that series shriveled up and died incredibly hard.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I'd rather have co op campaign than Chapter 3.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ChaosArgate posted:

You sure about that? Because Kojima's done non-Metal Gear stuff and none of it has really been as successful. Look at Boktai, that series shriveled up and died incredibly hard.

Marketing is an important part of it, how many Boktai ads did you ever see? How many magazine entries? You can tell from playing the games themselves that they are very fun games, well put together. Name can't guarantee success, but that goes true for series as well, see, also, the decline of Final Fantasy.

Anyone who would suggest there's a magic bullet to video game success (really any products success) is at best delusional and at worst downright lying. A name like Kojima is certainly a multiplyer though, but if you're a multiplyer of 5 and you get given 1, you still only make 5. I should probably stop talking before I descend into more inane metaphors.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I remember seeing stuff about Botkai in Nintendo Power. All that I really remember about it thought is that the cartridge was literally solar powered or something. Like playing outside would make you more powerful in the game or something.

MGSV should have done something like that, but with social media. Like you should be able to create a Facebook page for your PFs or something to earn extra resources and spread your reputation.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
MGSV does have a somewhat similar mechanic. It encourages you to go outside and earn money, which can then be brought back into the game via mother base coins.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I was really hoping there'd be more event FOBs. I wonder if there will even be a new one after Mosquito's legacy is over.

I've made my own events. I look up the profile of the steam user and check their emblem. Based on that i make my choice of leathal or non-leathal.

Last night i found a brony whos emblem said horse love. I took all his loving containers and murdered every single one of his staff, even those s rankers. Headshot. Afterwards i found a furry, based on his steam profile and did the same thing, total murder, total containers, total stealth. Neither of them got a revenge wormhole open.

It felt really good you guys.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Broseph Brostar posted:

MGSV does have a somewhat similar mechanic. It encourages you to go outside and earn money, which can then be brought back into the game via mother base coins.

Yeah but the top 1% of MGSV players have 50% of all Mother Base coins...getting more of them just isn't feasible.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Raxivace posted:

Yeah but the top 1% of MGSV players have 50% of all Mother Base coins...getting more of them just isn't feasible.

Is the Bernie thread leaking

redreader posted:

Nice. I'm sure someone will believe that.

You're gonna eat your words when we get two extra lovely non-missions. DLC!

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

I've made my own events. I look up the profile of the steam user and check their emblem. Based on that i make my choice of leathal or non-leathal.

Last night i found a brony whos emblem said horse love. I took all his loving containers and murdered every single one of his staff, even those s rankers. Headshot. Afterwards i found a furry, based on his steam profile and did the same thing, total murder, total containers, total stealth. Neither of them got a revenge wormhole open.

It felt really good you guys.

:pwn:

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Sylink posted:

I'd rather have co op campaign than Chapter 3.

I want both

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Onmi posted:

Oh there will be. Just most likely it wont be for a while, or if it is, it wont feel the same. I would only trust Platinum with something as nuts as Metal Gear to get the appropriate theme if it's not Kojima.

I still would play MG Rising 2.

To be fair I would play MGS6, I'm sure SOMEONE that worked for Kojima can make a decent game

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

WaltherFeng posted:

Kojima has a bad habit of connecting and expanding plot elements that do not need to be revised. Hence why MGS3 still has the best story. It's almost completely disconnected from the previous games and works as a stand alone origin story (And even explains Big Boss's descent into villainy far better than any other games after it)

Then MGS4 happened.

Yeah IMO a super dumb thing is that at the end of MGS3 I was like, ah, this game clearly explains why Big Boss becomes a huge rear end in a top hat

Then they make portable Ops, Peacewalker, Ground Zeroes, Phantom Pain all saying no THIS is why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Just beat this and listened to all the Truth tapes the other day.

As it stands, I'm really ambivalent about the twist. On the one hand, it's interesting how Big Boss using a body double makes him somewhat villainous in an unexpected way. How the US government manipulated him in Snake Eater was what set him on this course of being a warmonger so the fact that he's willing to manipulate someone else for his own purposes shows how far he's gone in the intervening years. And dictators using body doubles is as old as Stalin (if not older), so I get why they went with that rather than another clone. But that's about all I like about the twist.

The plot hole it wraps up with Metal Gear 1 being Venom and Metal Gear 2 being the real Big Boss didn't even need to be addressed when you have people like Liquid escaping death time and time again just as one example. It's not hard to buy Big Boss escaping Outer Heaven before it blows up, honestly. What the twist says about player agency and the player being responsible for the legend of Big Boss also isn't all that interesting considering it was done to much better effect 15 years ago in MGS2. Moreover, revealing that twist at the very end of the story meant that basically no drama or consequences arise from it. I think the game could have been re-worked a bit to make the twist much more palatable and impacting. Say Chapter 1 plays out the same way except that it takes place exclusively in Afghanistan, you learn the twist after killing Skull Face so now you (Venom and the player) have sufficient motivation to focus your vengeance on the real Big Boss because of how you've been manipulated. Then Chapter 2 takes place in Africa with the real Big Boss building up Outer Heaven or whatever. That would give the plot a lot more room to work with as other characters learn about the body double and react to it in different ways. The conversation at the end between Kaz and Ocelot - where they stand and how the sons of Big Boss are fated to clash because reasons - was almost up there with the Eva plot-dump in MGS4 for dumb Metal Gear writing.

My problems with the plot are way, way easier to overlook than they were in MGS4 because the rest of the game is just phenomenal, even if the budget and time constraints become increasingly apparent. It's far and away the best stealth game I've ever played. The level design for all the large bases is fantastic and conducive to tons of different approaches. The mission areas of Africa and Afghanistan taken in isolation are really accurate in terms of conditions on the ground for people in those proxy wars, and all the supplemental material about the era is really interesting. The graphics are great and it's probably the best looking PS4 game I've played so far. Sound design is also top notch. Aside from Quiet, I love the character design. The buddies also add a ton of variety and freshness to the gameplay. All that taken together outweighs my problems with the story, but I really would have preferred the plot to be more straightforward like MGS1 and 3 were rather than MGS2's more post-modern plot. And it was a fairly straightforward revenge arc right up until the twist, whereas at least MGS2 gave you more time to absorb the kind of plot you were dealing with. I'd still probably rank it as the best MGS simply for the gameplay, but the plot twist just made the game seem unnecessary from a story standpoint. Oh well.

• Locked thread