Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

PCOS Bill posted:

That's a pretty specific scenario you brought up there

I may have referenced a specific event, but your followup has little to do with what happened in that case so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

PCOS Bill posted:

Tezzor I challenge you to make five posts without personal attacks.

What do I get if I win.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Who What Now posted:

Open and honest debate would be a gun-owner saying "[x] is what it would take for me to accept [y] as a necessary and good compromise of my position."

We did that earlier in the thread. People were asking for reduced regulation of suppressors in exchange. That quickly got shouted down by idiots because they watch too many spy movies.

Multiple people have had no issues with stronger background checks and mental health reporting, and actual punishments for straw purchasers. Hell, I'd support it if the only thing in return was that the gun-controllers shut up for a while. Same with opening up the NICS to private sellers so that they can vet their buyers.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

PCOS Bill posted:

No, but attacking me, forcing me to the ground, straddling me while hitting me repeatedly and trying to smash my head on the pavement would be!

You really are scared of "the blacks" aren't you? :tinfoil:

You're scared enough to go flashing your guns around apparently.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Flowers For Algeria posted:

I may have referenced a specific event, but your followup has little to do with what happened in that case so...

Weirdly, that's almost exactly what happened, as hashed out in trial.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

You really are scared of "the blacks" aren't you? :tinfoil:

I'm so afraid of them I bought a house in a neighborhood where I'm one of like two non-blacks for many blocks.

You're scared enough to go flashing your guns around apparently.

Unless my neighbors recognize my rifle cases and ammo bag I doubt they even know I'm a gun owner.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

PCOS Bill posted:

Unless my neighbors recognize my rifle cases and ammo bag I doubt they even know I'm a gun owner.

They probably do, which is why you don't get invited to block parties.

Don't want you shooting up their BBQ.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

PCOS Bill posted:

Weirdly, that's almost exactly what happened, as hashed out in trial.

Lol if you think a killer's testimony is worth anything.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

They probably do, which is why you don't get invited to block parties.

Don't want you shooting up their BBQ.

Block parties? Clearly you don't know my neighborhood. Nobody gets along with each other to even say hi in passing more than grudgingly, and there's regular loud arguments about the most minor poo poo like "you parked in front of my house twice this week" (When yelling person hasn't even had their car for whatever reason for weeks)

It would take a presidential decree to get them all to hang out together.

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Lol if you think a killer's testimony is worth anything.

So you'd rather go with 'my feelings on the matter' over 'what was accepted via evidence and testimony at trial'?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

PCOS Bill posted:

Block parties? Clearly you don't know my neighborhood. Nobody gets along with each other to even say hi in passing more than grudgingly, and there's regular loud arguments about the most minor poo poo like "you parked in front of my house twice this week" (When yelling person hasn't even had their car for whatever reason for weeks)

Your block sounds like everyone has guns, even if they say they don't.

My condolences for when a shootout over parking eventually arises. Keep your car parked on your property and you'll be safe.

Take no prisoners.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Your block sounds like everyone has guns, even if they say they don't.

Probably, I never asked. It's not my business what they have in their homes.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

PCOS Bill posted:

Probably, I never asked. It's not my business what they have in their homes.

can they smell the racist fear that oozes out of you?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

PCOS Bill posted:

Minorities need to stop killing each other. Me owning a few guns isn't hurting any of them, unless they try to hurt me first.

"Minorities are at fault for institutionalized racism!

Simply amazing

PCOS Bill posted:

No, but attacking me, forcing me to the ground, straddling me while hitting me repeatedly and trying to smash my head on the pavement would be!

It's a good thing that's never happened, then, isn't it?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

various cheeses posted:

We did that earlier in the thread. People were asking for reduced regulation of suppressors in exchange. That quickly got shouted down by idiots because they watch too many spy movies.

It's not a tit-for-tat thing. Each individual piece should be considered on its own merits, not weighed against what you can trade for it.

Although yes, there is no good reason to ban suppressors because if anything they make committing crimes with a pistol more difficult, not easier.

quote:

Multiple people have had no issues with stronger background checks and mental health reporting, and actual punishments for straw purchasers. Hell, I'd support it if the only thing in return was that the gun-controllers shut up for a while. Same with opening up the NICS to private sellers so that they can vet their buyers.

They say they have no issue with background checks, mental health reporting, and punishing straw purchasers, but as soon as talks turn towards actually enforcing them once their on the books you immediately cry about how they are just piecemeal steps towards total gun bans. So you'53 outright living about this.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

joeburz posted:

None to smell on me, but they can probably smell it on you all the way out in the suburbs.

Who What Now posted:

"Minorities are at fault for institutionalized racism!

Simply amazing

It's a good thing that's never happened, then, isn't it?

Minorities who shoot each other are at fault for shooting each other.

And yes, it's a good thing it hasn't happened. Last thing I ever want to do is have to take a life.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Hey WWN was my post reasonable at least? before the thread derails on a weird racial tangent

Fang
Jul 9, 2001
If you don't think ponderous, clumsy sentence structure loaded with hamfisted thesaurus wankery makes good writing, you're probably just too dumb to read my posts.

/r/iamverysmart

joeburz posted:

Quit projecting. We've already established in this thread that anti-gun people's stated antipathy toward guns is just a dogwhistle for fear of black and brown people.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

PCOS Bill posted:

So you'd rather go with 'my feelings on the matter' over 'what was accepted via evidence and testimony at trial'?

There was no evidence of injuries consistent with those claims. Dude didn't even get medical attention until well after. What the evidence and other testimonies showed was that a fat, insecure gun owner (but I repeat myself) picked a fight with a young teen, got a punch to the nose, pulled the kid to the ground, and shot him. There was no "ground and pound", unless you believe the guy has Kevlar skin.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

various cheeses posted:

Hey WWN was my post reasonable at least? before the thread derails on a weird racial tangent

Reasonable? I suppose. Honest? gently caress no.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

There was no evidence of injuries consistent with those claims. Dude didn't even get medical attention until well after. What the evidence and other testimonies showed was that a fat, insecure gun owner (but I repeat myself) picked a fight with a young teen, got a punch to the nose, pulled the kid to the ground, and shot him. There was no "ground and pound", unless you believe the guy has Kevlar skin.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree; me siding with "experts who had all the facts in front of them" and you with... uh, whatever you've got I guess.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

various cheeses posted:

Nobody in this thread has couched their opposition to suppressor liberalization in the idea that they make guns sound like they do in the movies. You just made that up.

Fang
Jul 9, 2001
If you don't think ponderous, clumsy sentence structure loaded with hamfisted thesaurus wankery makes good writing, you're probably just too dumb to read my posts.

/r/iamverysmart

Tezzor posted:

Nobody in this thread has couched their opposition to suppressor liberalization in the idea that they make guns sound like they do in the movies. You just made that up.

He didn't say that anyone said that suppressors make guns sound like they do in movies. Right back at you, racist.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

PCOS Bill posted:

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree; me siding with "experts who had all the facts in front of them" and you with... uh, whatever you've got I guess.

What experts? It was put before a jury, you idiot, it wasn't deemed to be a Good KillTM by Grissam and the gang on CSI.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Who What Now posted:

Reasonable? I suppose. Honest? gently caress no.

Not honest? Explain.

Tezzor posted:

You are among the forefront of idiots that declared they have no use except for making criminals crime harder.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

PCOS Bill posted:

Reminder that this vicious ignorant and worthless pile of puke is less racist and more reasonable than the average gun nut.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

What experts? It was put before a jury, you idiot, it wasn't deemed to be a Good KillTM by Grissam and the gang on CSI.

It only went in front of a jury because of public outrage. It was investigated and deemed a "Good KillTM" as you phrase it until their hand was forced.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

various cheeses posted:

Not honest? Explain.

You are among the forefront of idiots that declared they have no use except for making criminals crime harder.

They have no purpose except making gunshots quieter and harder to pinpoint the origin of. This has no legitimate use because any legitimate reason to mitigate gunshot noise can be accomplished far more cheaply and effectively with basic safety equipment. You are simply a child crying because he can't have a toy.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tezzor posted:

They have no purpose except making gunshots quieter and harder to pinpoint the origin of. This has no legitimate use because any legitimate reason to mitigate gunshot noise can be accomplished far more cheaply and effectively with basic safety equipment. You are simply a child crying because he can't have a toy.

Given how many examples of old shooting ranges being forced into closing down because developments started springing up around them and making complaints about how loud the guns are, I don't think you quite understand just how important "Not being as loud as unsuppressed gunfire" can be for those around you.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

various cheeses posted:

Not honest? Explain.

You are lying when you say you support those things. You say you're for them right up until the point when it comes to implementing them at which time they all instantly become stealth "bans by a thousand cuts". So on paper it seems reasonable, but in practice you're full of poo poo.

PCOS Bill posted:

It only went in front of a jury because of public outrage. It was investigated and deemed a "Good KillTM" as you phrase it until their hand was forced.

Of course they weren't going to go to trial, the criminal justice system doesn't give a single poo poo if a black male is murdered at best, and actively works against them any other time. It's that whole "institutionalized racism" thing that you think doesn't happen because you happen to be lucky enough to live in a nicer neighborhood, even if you do pathetically pretend that you don't.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Tezzor posted:

This is wrong. Even with proper ear protection larger bullets can still cause hearing damage. And they only make it harder to pinpoint if you're farther than 100 yards or so away. Guns are still loud as gently caress and will deafen you with or without a suppressor if they're shot from close enough range (i.e. in your hands).

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

you happen to be lucky enough to live in a nicer neighborhood, even if you do pathetically pretend that you don't.

I see the problem here. You don't believe even the most basic things coming from the mouth of a gun owner.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

PCOS Bill posted:

Given how many examples of old shooting ranges being forced into closing down because developments started springing up around them and making complaints about how loud the guns are, I don't think you quite understand just how important "Not being as loud as unsuppressed gunfire" can be for those around you.

Yeah if only "unarmed black killed being stalked and killed for no reason by violent imbecile" was as much of a tragedy worth caring about as old gun ranges shut down because they are a nuisance to normal people

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

PCOS Bill posted:

I see the problem here. You don't believe even the most basic things coming from the mouth of a gun owner.

Correct.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tezzor posted:

Yeah if only "unarmed black killed being stalked and killed for no reason by violent imbecile" was as much of a tragedy worth caring about as old gun ranges shut down because they are a nuisance to normal people

"A nuisance to normal people" ... who bought property near a gun range and then complained about gunfire.

Well, can't fix stupid.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Who What Now posted:

This is wrong. Even with proper ear protection larger bullets can still cause hearing damage. And they only make it harder to pinpoint if you're farther than 100 yards or so away. Guns are still loud as gently caress and will deafen you with or without a suppressor if they're shot from close enough range (i.e. in your hands).

Yeah, even with a welding mask you can still damage your eyes if you stare directly into the sun for an hour on the summer solstice. Stop staring into the sun for extended periods of time?? What do you think I am, some kind of a basically sapient hominid?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tezzor posted:

Yeah, even with a welding mask you can still damage your eyes if you stare directly into the sun for an hour on the summer solstice. Stop staring into the sun for extended periods of time?? What do you think I am, some kind of a basically sapient hominid?

Use safety devices that can decrease a negative effect of a tool? No verboten, it's possible some strawman might do something bad with it!

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Classic joke: Man walks into a doctors office. Says doc, it hurts when I do this. Doctor says well then don't do that. Man starts crying and screaming like an autistic covered in ants, later calls in bomb threat to local DMV. Circlejerkers on "do thing that hurts" webzone agree doctor was way out of line and likely communist.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tezzor posted:

Classic joke: Man walks into a doctors office. Says doc, it hurts when I do this. Doctor says well then don't do that. Man starts crying and screaming like an autistic man covered in ants, later calls in bomb threat to local DMV.

What planet are you from?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Who What Now posted:

You are lying when you say you support those things. You say you're for them right up until the point when it comes to implementing them at which time they all instantly become stealth "bans by a thousand cuts". So on paper it seems reasonable, but in practice you're full of poo poo.

I'm not lying when I say I support those specific things I listed. The problem comes when the rest of the bullshit comes out like mag limits, assault weapons bans, gun insurance, or all sorts of weird crap I'm no longer cool with. I emailed my reps and told them to focus on the things I listed and take charge of the conversation rather than let it be driven by insane people like the Tezzors of the world. Of course we can sit here and call each other liars all day instead - I'm fine with the status quo too I guess.

Tezzor posted:

They have no purpose except the exact purpose they were designed for, okay. "This has no legitimate use because in my warped mind there are no legitimate uses for guns", okay.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

various cheeses posted:

They have no purpose except the exact purpose they were designed for, okay. "This has no legitimate use because in my warped mind there are no legitimate uses for guns", okay.

Uh oh incoming bomb threat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAMNOTADOCTOR
Sep 26, 2013

Shooting at zombicon: 1 killed 4 wounded.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/18/us/zombicon-shooting-fort-myers-florida/index.html

I would also like to take this moment to ask those people that are advocating more mental health over gun control what they mean by that and what they think the estimated effect of such an intervention would be.

• Locked thread