Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

drat, that Frigate is nice :eyepop: How've you gone with integrating the Gravity Cannon? All working properly now?

Thanks.

Yup, Grav cannon works, I've been messing with it to make the blast door open/close automatically and display everything with the LCD script. I want to setup rapid fired too, maybe with a smaller round.

But, the recent patch changed the way grav gens and mass blocks work, I think its gonna effect gravity cannons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jigoku San posted:

Thanks.

Yup, Grav cannon works, I've been messing with it to make the blast door open/close automatically and display everything with the LCD script. I want to setup rapid fired too, maybe with a smaller round.

But, the recent patch changed the way grav gens and mass blocks work, I think its gonna effect gravity cannons.

If you want to match what mine do, open the barrel on the Ready timers, and close it on the Firing Reset.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Excellent advice Klyith, I shall try those things.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

I put the vanilla versions of my cruiser and frigate up on the workshop if anyone wants to check them out. My Workshop.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDiBASjFh7E

New teaser/patch for planets (no planets yet)

I, emmm... encourage you to watch at least 4:50...

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Evilreaver posted:

Oh god, that's why it's been taking so long.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Evilreaver posted:

Cool, you can land in Australia.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
That looks amazing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also looks like a lake in one of the shots, water could be curious.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I can't wait to literally nuke it from orbit.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Logikv9 posted:

I can't wait to literally nuke it from orbit.

Medieval Engineers and Space Engineers should be made MP compatible.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Another week, another round of teasi-holy poo poo. :suspense:

quote:

Summary
In this week’s update we are applying new bug fixes and improvements to prepare the game world for the upcoming biggest update yet (you know which one).
Also, we are introducing an important change to tutorial. From now on the tutorial works as follows: the next chapter is unlocked only by completing the previous one to show newcomers and returning players all the essentials needed to understand the basics in the game. Tutorials are more informative now explaining how spawning and recharging energy in medical rooms and cockpit works.
Additionally, now you can rotate any grid by 90 or 1 degree increments by holding down CTRL for 90 degree or ALT for 1 degree

Features
- Tutorial unlocking

Fixes
- revised tutorial 1
- fixed issues with O2 not refilling correctly
- fixed crash when loading/exiting the game
- fixed massive sim speed drop when locking landing gear on a ship near asteroid
- fixed cryochamber showing 'Horizon and altitude'
- fixed jump drive tunnel effect displayed even after exiting jumping ship
- fixed jumpdrive doesn't work for min value jump (5 km) when your ship is moving
- fixed OK button in scenario screen grayed out incorrectly
- fixed cryochamber screen not showing correctly
- fixed small oxygen tank having the same volume as large one
- added community creator of exploration content Dorian Flores to credits

Can anyone who's played with the hacked-in version of planets tell me if the reach of atmosphere is under 800m? I want to know if I can glass the surface clean of spiders from orbit :stare:. Also I am quite, quite thankful I built orbital-deployable Bunkers now, though I should probably stick a gatling gun on the roof. Or make a deployable perimeter defense tower.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

buttcoinbrony posted:

Medieval Engineers and Space Engineers should be made MP compatible.

I am pretty sure that's the eventual plan.

Edit: I want to be the King of the Spiders and spread them far and wide. MORE SPIDERS. MORE!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rhjamiz posted:

I am pretty sure that's the eventual plan.

Edit: I want to be the King of the Spiders and spread them far and wide. MORE SPIDERS. MORE!

I'm quietly hoping they'll be capturable and storable in the cargo system with an animal-specific cage that can be opened. Fire a gravity shell into orbit, open the cages mid-flight once it hits atmosphere, rain spiders across everyone :unsmigghh:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I hope they're space-spiders, or that they can grab onto your ship/lay eggs on/in your hull while you're not looking, so you get Alien'd once you lift off and hit space :allears:

VVVV Just build poo poo wherever and call it Minmatar :buddy:

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 16, 2015

Mercutio Martino
Feb 13, 2015

Knight of the Sovereign Military Order of Sealand
Hey everyone. It's been a while since I've played SE or been on the forums. You can blame Hideo Kojima for that.

If there anyone here who uses 3D import software to compile hulls, specifically ships from EVE Online?

The things I build solo have zero aesthetic form, looking more like giant floating space bricks unless I pull specific sections from imports by other users.

I do also like the challenge of making all the systems fit inside of a pre-built hull with little external modifications. Anyone here gently caress around with that stuff?

Your committal to performance testing is something to be admired, Neddy.

Mercutio Martino fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 16, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Looking at the bug forum and apparently it's a wee bit crash-y at the moment, so as always; wait for the daily hotfix. (I'll update the bug status in the OP when it drops)

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The game killed my video card :saddowns: Regular crashed, hard crashed, now artifacting like a mofo on all games. My rig is out of commission for 4-7 business days :cry:

On the plus side I've needed a new card for a while

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

When they release planets (and spiders) you have to update the bug status to Very Buggy (but play it anyway)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

OwlFancier posted:

When they release planets (and spiders) you have to update the bug status to Very Buggy (but play it anyway)

Agreed :allears:.

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

Anal-retentive, overly loquacious weapons scientist.

I can't wait to misjudge the gravity and my ship's thrusters so I eat poo poo from orbit. Then try to hunker down in the busted wreck while alien hellspawn tries to find a way inside.

Mercutio Martino
Feb 13, 2015

BillyJoeBob posted:

I can't wait to misjudge the gravity and my ship's thrusters so I eat poo poo from orbit. Then try to hunker down in the busted wreck while alien hellspawn tries to find a way inside.

Imagine how hard it's gonna be for the pubbies who have never played this before, trying to weld together spider legs to shove into their reactors when they have no oxygen in their suits, unable to take their helmets off.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mercutio Martino posted:

Imagine how hard it's gonna be for the pubbies who have never played this before, trying to weld together spider legs to shove into their reactors when they have no oxygen in their suits, unable to take their helmets off.

To be fair, there are tutorials now. Though of course there'll still be pubbies ignoring them and complaining about why they just fell over dead for no reason while standing inside an oxygenated ship.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I can't help but wonder if it'll be an option to start on a planet or in space when you start a new game when planets hit.

Starting out on a planet would certainly help the whole "rush for oxygen" thing and probably help protect you from pirates, while giving you the challenge of building something that can reach orbit before you can go explore.

Icedude fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 16, 2015

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

They will probably add some to the custom starts. Easy Planet Start 1, Very Easy Planet Start 2, a new crashed Red Ship, etc.

This patch is way buggy though. Nvidia driver crashes and cargo ships isn't checkable in the options.

Mercutio Martino posted:

Hey everyone. It's been a while since I've played SE or been on the forums. You can blame Hideo Kojima for that.

If there anyone here who uses 3D import software to compile hulls, specifically ships from EVE Online?

The things I build solo have zero aesthetic form, looking more like giant floating space bricks unless I pull specific sections from imports by other users.

I do also like the challenge of making all the systems fit inside of a pre-built hull with little external modifications. Anyone here gently caress around with that stuff?

I tried messing with SEToolbox's 3d import. It uses most standard files types, you can choose to have the ship solid or hollow shell, smoothed or not and adjust the scale.

I used some free stuff from model sites and a star trek mod site, but nothing really generated well. They all required more hull shaping and fixing places where the smoothing didn't work. If you find some low poly/low detail models it might work better.

Jigoku San fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 16, 2015

Mercutio Martino
Feb 13, 2015

Jigoku San posted:

I tried messing with SEToolbox's 3d import. It uses most standard files types, you can choose to have the ship solid or hollow shell, smoothed or not and adjust the scale.

I used some free stuff from model sites and a star trek mod site, but nothing really generated well. They all required more hull shaping and fixing places where the smoothing didn't work. If you find some low poly/low detail models it might work better.

I've been dicking around with it, but the models I'm looking at are all in various formats and getting them to open in TriExporter are proving to be a hassle. Anything available online in .3ds is from 2012 at best.
Anyone know how to convert or find the files from 2015? New ships from EVE and so forth...

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Unfortunately I have forgotten all I learned about converting models, and I used to know quite a bit.

I do know you can use most any type of file though, as I was pulling .alos out of Star Wars: Empire at war, running them through 3DS Max to drop the polys and smashing responsibly utilising them for a while. Lancer Frigate for the win.

It is nigh impossible to get a no-rework needed level ship out of the conversion process though, it just an inherent part of what you're trying to do. Nothing you're going to convert is going to line up properly to the 1x1 grid of large ships, so whatever program you're using to convert is going to make some sacrifices, and then some more to make up for that and then some more...

If you really want a nice ship, you'd open it up in 3DS max and rework your desired ship into cut up blocks, so you can just legit build a properly shaped nerd fest. Hell of a hassle though.

Edit: I say that is hassle as someone who half modeled their own star destroyer before going down the ripping .alo route.

E2: All this talk of models makes me wonder how hard it would be to swap the spider model with an actual proper alien model and lovely animation 1st year animation.

McGiggins fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Oct 16, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Hotfix dropped! No notes yet though.

edit:

quote:

EDIT 10/16/2015:
Update 01.104.011
- fixed crash with landing gears
- fixed crash when loading world
- fixed interior, spot lights not working
- fixed cargo ships option disabled
- fixed performance issues with landing gears

Also made something to deal with future insect hordes.

It's a Perimeter Tower that can be dropped from orbit. Or stuck on an asteroid to deter guests. Ain't nothing eating their way into my bunkers :colbert:.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 17, 2015

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Surely they would have considered the strength of such weapons when making the spiders?

You might find the turrets unable to target smallish lifeforms like this.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

McGiggins posted:

Surely they would have considered the strength of such weapons when making the spiders?

Someone dug the models out of the source code a few months back and they're anything but "smallish". Besides, turrets can shoot a moving 1x1x1 Small Block by tracking motion at 800m. A bug the size of a person's not much of a stretch.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Do we know if the modder did the scaling on it at all? Models can exist in any size and can be scaled around in most game engines.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I hope they come in babby and big versions and attack in swarms. But that's just me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I hope they come in babby and big versions and attack in swarms. But that's just me.

I'm hoping they're something you can stumble upon while drilling Too Deep. Hope you can seal that tunnel...

I'm guessing they'll be like the ME ones and attack in waves at night though. The real item of interest in that video has to be what looked like a lake though. Interesting to try and make a water landing with your mothership.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm hoping they're something you can stumble upon while drilling Too Deep. Hope you can seal that tunnel...

I'm guessing they'll be like the ME ones and attack in waves at night though. The real item of interest in that video has to be what looked like a lake though. Interesting to try and make a water landing with your mothership.

Also, flooding. Decks 3 through 8 are filled with water, and you need to swim down and seal the breach. Also your reactor is down there so it's a radiation hell, good luck comrade.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rhjamiz posted:

Also, flooding. Decks 3 through 8 are filled with water, and you need to swim down and seal the breach. Also your reactor is down there so it's a radiation hell, good luck comrade.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if you COULD flood a ship, using the O2-pressurization code.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Maybe water will be a new resource, like oxygen, and you need to keep big tanks of it, that can be breached.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

counterfeitsaint posted:

Maybe water will be a new resource, like oxygen, and you need to keep big tanks of it, that can be breached.

A relatively simple way of doing it would be to have the water level be the same as water % and have it be relative to the gravity. That kind of falls apart without gravity though.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Luminaflare posted:

A relatively simple way of doing it would be to have the water level be the same as water % and have it be relative to the gravity. That kind of falls apart without gravity though.

Volumetric water physics simulation go! May god have mercy on your CPU.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Reminds me of oldtime garrys mod Spacebuild. Head down to a planet, fill up on water to convert to fuel and oxygen, then find out you're too heavy to take off again :cheeky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

McGiggins posted:

One would wonder what the point of interior turrets are if they can't target human sized objects.

• Locked thread