Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

This made me laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

AWSEFT posted:

This made me laugh:

Hah hah. I don't know whether to laugh or weep. However, as a former U.S. Air employee I'm not too sad to see them go.

tenaciousvigilance
Sep 29, 2014
Kind of a long shot, but anyone in this thread live near KBUF and interested in selling part of their airplane or finding a partner to buy one?

I'm looking for something similar to a Mooney M20C/E/J mainly used for cross countries.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

tenaciousvigilance posted:

Kind of a long shot, but anyone in this thread live near KBUF and interested in selling part of their airplane or finding a partner to buy one?

I'm looking for something similar to a Mooney M20C/E/J mainly used for cross countries.

Visit the different FBOs and check their boards. I usually see that kind of stuff on those boards.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Gods true airplane. Bless you sir.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Hey careful man if you say the M word too many times you'll summon-

Oh poo poo never mind.

tenaciousvigilance
Sep 29, 2014

AWSEFT posted:

Visit the different FBOs and check their boards. I usually see that kind of stuff on those boards.

Thanks for the suggestion!

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Are you on Ron Ciura's mailing list? If not, get on it and have him send an email for you.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Hey folks, Ausgoon checking in. I did some rotary wing time in my early 20s almost 15 years ago with the intention of pursuing it as a career, but bought a property and couldn't afford to both fly and pay the mortgage. Intended to try the military route but was diagnosed with a non-serious medical condition which would have ruled me out for military flying, so kinda rationalised the decision to just put the dream to bed and move on. I never really stopped thinking about it though and flying helicopters erryday has always been the only career which I've really been able to imagine myself loving (note: this is not the same as imagining there are no lovely parts to it). Earlier this year I had a bit of an epiphany and realised that I have regrets about not following through with it and am not satisfied with what I'm doing day in and day out - and that I'm single with no dependents and there are no guarantees in life so I might as well just loving go for it and see where it takes me.

Flew R22s back in the day but flying the Guimbal Cabri G2 now, which is a fantastic aircraft and much more modern than the 22. Roughly 16 hours in this time around (did about 9.5 hours in the Robbie back in the day) and enjoying that feeling of achievement as techniques are (relatively) refined, and the way in which your "bandwidth" for perceiving and acting upon stimuli expands as the basic parts of flying the aircraft start to become automatic. :)

Are there any other Aussie rotorgoons?

tenaciousvigilance
Sep 29, 2014

sleepy gary posted:

Are you on Ron Ciura's mailing list? If not, get on it and have him send an email for you.

Hey there, fellow WNYer! I am actually; great idea. Where do you fly out of? I'm at BQR with the flying club.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Oh my god how expensive could that possibly be. The R44 I was renting was 450 an hour American.......... R22 in Australia must be the equivalent

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Hey there, fellow WNYer! I am actually; great idea. Where do you fly out of? I'm at BQR with the flying club.

9G5, but I live overseas so I'm not there very much.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Captain Apollo posted:

Oh my god how expensive could that possibly be. The R44 I was renting was 450 an hour American.......... R22 in Australia must be the equivalent

AUD $570/hr is the standard training rate for the G2. So about USD $412. R44 AUD $850/hr, which would be USD $614ish.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe it's because I'm relatively new to GA, but I'm surprised that there isn't an affordable HUD for GA use. Yeah, I know that once it's tagged for aviation use, the price goes through the roof because reasons, but it's not like it's new technology, especially when you have something like synthvision to pair it up with.

jjones
Apr 30, 2004

God Save the Queen. JL
Still flying my Skyranger :D

Couple of weeks back did a fly/camp weekend on the UK East Cost:

Flew over to a friends strip and had a coffee then we fired the machines up and headed for Cromer, visibility was a bit crappy but was legal.

Had a great night in the town with a loads of beer. Next morning woke up early - drat tents :D

We knew the visibility would be crap first thing and we were not disappointed!

Hung around, gassed up and had a cooked breakfast at the cafe at the airfield!

We left a few hours later but an inversion layer made vis a bit crappy:

Went up to around 4000ft and got above the inversion layer and it was glorious - picture just doesn't do it justice ,albeit with a 10kt higher headwind component compared to being in the murk below.

Great weekend and why I love flying!

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
The Hornet that went down in the UK yesterday was a good friend of my on-wing flight instructor :(

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

overdesigned posted:

The Hornet that went down in the UK yesterday was a good friend of my on-wing flight instructor :(

First please accept condolences.

If you don't mind my asking why would he be looking to tanker immediately after departure as the late night reports were implying?

Either way, very lovely event and the crap the bbc are spouting about it coupled with the pictures I have seen of approach roads to the scene not add up. In fact the bbc and uk news pulled the story fairly quickly.

There but for the grace of god go I.

Sewer Adventure
Aug 25, 2004

jjones posted:

Still flying my Skyranger :D

Couple of weeks back did a fly/camp weekend on the UK East Cost:

Flew over to a friends strip and had a coffee then we fired the machines up and headed for Cromer, visibility was a bit crappy but was legal.

I've always wanted to go to "Little Snoring".

I spent a few hours getting checked out in a 172 at San Carlos. As a pretty new British PPL who learnt exclusively in the DA20, it took a while to get used to just about everything. Turns out I wasn't coordinating my turns, and landing in a 172 feels totally different. The radio is surprisingly quite different in America too. All that, and I only managed one solo flight to Modesto before my trip ended.

What's up with being cleared to land in America? How can you be clear to land when you're downwind and there's a plane on the runway? Over here they'd tell you to "continue" until the runway is actually clear. And landing clearance usually happens only once you've reported final.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Sewer Adventure posted:

What's up with being cleared to land in America? How can you be clear to land when you're downwind and there's a plane on the runway? Over here they'd tell you to "continue" until the runway is actually clear. And landing clearance usually happens only once you've reported final.

Because the tower controller has eyeballs and it's just the local procedure:

quote:

7110.65V
3−10−6. ANTICIPATING SEPARATION

a.
Landing clearance to succeeding aircraft in a
landing sequence need not be withheld if you observe
the positions of the aircraft and determine that
prescribed runway separation will exist when the
aircraft crosses the landing threshold. Issue traffic
information to the succeeding aircraft if a preceding
arrival has not been previously reported and when
traffic will be departing prior to their arrival.

And actually, there can be two aircraft on the runway in some cases:

quote:

3−10−3. SAME RUNWAY SEPARATION

a.
Separate an arriving aircraft from another
aircraft using the same runway by ensuring that the
arriving aircraft does not cross the landing threshold
until one of the following conditions exists or unless
authorized in para 3−10−10, Altitude Restricted Low
Approach.

1. The other aircraft has landed and is clear of
the runway. (See FIG 3−10−1.) Between sunrise and
sunset, if you can determine distances by reference to
suitable landmarks and the other aircraft has landed,
it need not be clear of the runway if the following
minimum distance from the landing threshold exists:

(a) When a Category I aircraft is landing
behind a Category I or II− 3,000 feet.

(b) When a Category II aircraft is landing
behind a Category I or II− 4,500 feet.

Your categories are defined here:

quote:

3-9-6 SAME RUNWAY SEPARATION

NOTE−

Aircraft same runway separation (SRS) categories are
specified in Appendices A, B, and C and based upon the
following definitions:

CATEGORY I− small aircraft weighing 12,500 lbs. or less,
with a single propeller driven engine, and all helicopters.
CATEGORY II− small aircraft weighing 12,500 lbs. or
less, with propeller driven twin−engines.
CATEGORY III− all other aircraft.

It's just different. We also give our IFR clearances prior to taxi and us Inches of Mercury for the altimeter setting instead of QNH.

EDIT: Wrote this post before coffee and on review it seems to come off snarky. Sorry, I wasn't trying to be pissy but I'm a huge sperg.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 23, 2015

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

The Ferret King posted:

And actually, there can be two aircraft on the runway in some cases:

How often does this happen at airports not named Oshkosh (excluding formation flights)?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

fordan posted:

How often does this happen at airports not named Oshkosh (excluding formation flights)?

In my experience it's tough to get them that close arrival/arrival. Though, I've done it a few times. It tends to happen in situations where the previous arrival is rolling out long, the trailing guy is super tight and it's looking like a go-around might be necessary. But, he's a small plane and the reduced sep is allowed so you get to let him land anyway.

The reduced runway separation rules are more often applied between two departures, or a departure and an arrival. Much easier to time those, and it's a more commonly beneficial use of the rule.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

The Ferret King posted:

Because the tower controller has eyeballs
EDIT: Wrote this post before coffee and on review it seems to come off snarky. Sorry, I wasn't trying to be pissy but I'm a huge sperg.

Sorry I wind you up so often with crazy atc questions, but could you lend your competent eyeballs to some of the Spanish and Greek airports please! It would be nice to get some logical gaps and landing clearances. Just once. Pretty please.

A radar head would be nice too.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Presently I have both but I'm trading in my binoculars for a permanent tour in a dark radar room.

No more up/down for me. Unless I washout of of training, of course. Then who knows.

No clue how to do En Route or Non Radar sectors though. Those will remain a mystery to me.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

The Ferret King posted:

Presently I have both but I'm trading in my binoculars for a permanent tour in a dark radar room.

No more up/down for me. Unless I washout of of training, of course. Then who knows.

No clue how to do En Route or Non Radar sectors though. Those will remain a mystery to me.

Is "vector the flight students through the final approach course" taught in the school, or is it just a technique you guys all pick up on OJT?

I kid, I kid, enjoy not seeing the sun ever again.

e: regarding the F-18 and the refueling. Probably was a test plug to make sure he could get good gas before he was out over the Atlantic, but that's still just informed conjecture from me. We'll know more as time goes on, speculating any further feels wrong.

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 23, 2015

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Ferret King posted:

It's ok. We're all pretty sure that terminal radar controllers use magic and hope for separation.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

MrYenko posted:

It's ok. We're all pretty sure that terminal radar controllers use magic and hope for separation.

Unrelated: Hurricane Patricia has reported 200mph sustained winds and an eye pressure of 879mb...which is 25.96 on the ol' altimeter.

So of course we flew an airplane into it (yesterday before it got ludicrously strong): https://www.facebook.com/josephklippel/videos/10153565172024471/?fref=nf

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 23, 2015

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

overdesigned posted:

Is "vector the flight students through the final approach course" taught in the school, or is it just a technique you guys all pick up on OJT?

You know it's funny, but I have to remember to give normal intercepts to non-local Navy trainers. The Navy trainers here turn so sharply that if we give them the turn at the typical point for civilian aircraft, they join too late (too close to the final approach fix). And there's hardly any room for error on the Runway 13R final at Truax Field as it is.

I don't do it often, and I cringe and say "sorry" when I do. What really irks me when training developmental controllers, or watching some of my less competent coworkers, is when they're way too late to issue the turn to intercept but they try to do it anyway. Just fess up and give the intercept turn from the other side of final. Don't make the pilot try to save a bad approach that you caused, y'know?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

MrYenko posted:

My friend works the TRACON at KDEN, can confirm this.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

The Ferret King posted:

You know it's funny, but I have to remember to give normal intercepts to non-local Navy trainers. The Navy trainers here turn so sharply that if we give them the turn at the typical point for civilian aircraft, they join too late (too close to the final approach fix). And there's hardly any room for error on the Runway 13R final at Truax Field as it is.

I don't do it often, and I cringe and say "sorry" when I do. What really irks me when training developmental controllers, or watching some of my less competent coworkers, is when they're way too late to issue the turn to intercept but they try to do it anyway. Just fess up and give the intercept turn from the other side of final. Don't make the pilot try to save a bad approach that you caused, y'know?

I'll take the snake shaker us controller plot over local Eastern med control any day, I look forward to your dulcet tones (with luck, and no doubt unreciprocated :P next year)

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

hjp766 posted:

I'll take the snake shaker us controller plot over local Eastern med control any day, I look forward to your dulcet tones (with luck, and no doubt unreciprocated :P next year)

Is it a lot of non radar operations?

Non radar is an unpleasant backup plan for us at best. I can't imagine operating non radar as a matter of routine. It is the worst.

The. Worst.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
We had to give non radar position reports going from Seattle to Fairbanks.
It was very strange and I had a really difficult time remembering what you're even supposed to say. Haven't done that poo poo since training for my instrument rating...

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

The Slaughter posted:

We had to give non radar position reports going from Seattle to Fairbanks.
It was very strange and I had a really difficult time remembering what you're even supposed to say. Haven't done that poo poo since training for my instrument rating...

ADS-B (can't remember what it stands for, sorry) and CPDLC (controller pilot dat link communication (I think)). The two greatest inventions in non radar environments.

Northern UK to Canary Islands 90% of the time we fly oceanic routes, with neither of the above.... You get very good at position reports and clearances using, shudder, HF.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

The Ferret King posted:

Is it a lot of non radar operations?

Non radar is an unpleasant backup plan for us at best. I can't imagine operating non radar as a matter of routine. It is the worst.

The. Worst.

Most Greek Islands there is no radar below about FL100, if you're lucky the airports have a VOR. Places like Zakynthos, and the airfield just South east of lesbos whose name I have forgotten have the triple whammy of: 6 or less stands, offset procedural VOR approaches and tower locations which means transmissions can get blocked by terrain and bad weather. Add in the proximity of Turkish airspace and it gets fun.

We go to those expecting 40-50 minutes holding trying to get in, and half the time we talk each other in and round the weather when it is really bad.

The worst place used to be Marrakech, but I think they now have a radar head. Africa in general is, interesting, close call between there and around India for chaos.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Made it to FL430 yesterday, it's always cool to break your own personal altitude record.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Great job avoiding dual flame outs and crashing within sight of the diversion airport.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
And overriding the stick pusher to get it into a stall because you don't know how airplanes work

simble
May 11, 2004

Gratz brah!

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Get that man a pepsi.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Rolo posted:

Made it to FL430 yesterday, it's always cool to break your own personal altitude record.

Only 17,001' to class echo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Whoever designed the new layout of ORD needs to be slapped in the face. Hard. The "Standard taxi" from runway 10R involves talking to no less than 5 separate controllers between the runway and the terminal.

• Locked thread