Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

K8.0 posted:

The nutty Japan/US thing is just there to provide a background, but it's so over the top and silly it distracts you from the stuff you're supposed to be paying attention to.

Lol you guys should stop listening to each other

I know that's the snippiest, shittiest thing to say, but it's really true. This like... "critical fan" internet apparatus is really bad at grasping stuff, because it wants to treat every story as a self-contained ensemble dramedy. That's generally enough for video games and cartoon shows-- and if that's all you care about that's cool, I mean you don't see a lot of epic forum wars over Amos Tutuola or even the more serious stripe of netflix shows --but when it's not, it's not. I don't see you guys ever, ever submitting to learn more about a real life thing because it gives you more insight into what a story is about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I'd argue that even the gameplay is bad, since it's too easy and there are little consequences to detection. The only time you ever have an issue is when a riot suit shotgun guy comes up to you.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

swamp waste posted:

I don't see you guys ever, ever submitting to learn more about a real life thing because it gives you more insight into what a story is about.

This. I also like how people just scoff at Kojimas attempts at doing his nuclear bombs are bad thing, not realizing it is a thing Japanese pop culture has done in the same ridiculous way since they got hit by a bomb. I mean, is Godzilla that much more refined?

Edit: guys, I just realized metal gear is the Godzilla metaphor looped back to literal nuclear bombs. gently caress.

NeilPerry fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 18, 2015

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I wanted to learn more about Japanese-American diplomatic relations and the east vs west themes in Killer7, so I started watching more anime.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Seeing what Episode 51 could have been really makes me wish it had been completed. Even if they had to construct a sparse area for the Sahelanthropus re-match to make it easier for consoles and PCs to deal with, it makes all the Lord of the Flies allusions a lot more appropriate. Even if it were a relatively small mission area, having a tropical island littered with booby traps and child soldiers would have been very cool, even if it doesn't add very much plot-wise. I was kind of bummed how child soldiers weren't as prominent in the game as I'd expected, but it wouldn't surprise me if Konami wanted to limit their inclusion to avoid controversy.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Broseph Brostar posted:

I wanted to learn more about Japanese-American diplomatic relations and the east vs west themes in Killer7, so I started watching more anime.

That's how they get you

You will never be clean again

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I'd argue that even the gameplay is bad, since it's too easy and there are little consequences to detection. The only time you ever have an issue is when a riot suit shotgun guy comes up to you.

"Too easy" is a pretty poor complaint because it almost always comes from the standpoint of someone who is better at games than they think they are. Pre-release streams alone kinda showed that a lot of people are pretty poo poo at the gameplay.

Metal Gear games are largely very easy games. MGS1 had absurdly easy to manipulate guards who depended entirely on their barely-there vision cones, MGS3 could be trivially solved by running around CQCing people, MGS4 is MGS4 and MGS2 only really gets hard on the super-extreme difficulties and arguably more towards awkward design than actual difficult stealth. (I.e: You'll probably have a harder time with the bosses than the guards.)

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Not to mention, there aren't supposed to be significant consequences for discovery. That's why there are like 100 different lethal weapons, most of which don't come with a silencer. The point of MGS V is that you can play it how you want. If you want the game to be hard, give yourself conduct restrictions.

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
What happens to the new mother base and the soldiers recruited after Kaz says gently caress it and plans to sabotage Big Boss?

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Kak posted:

What happens to the new mother base and the soldiers recruited after Kaz says gently caress it and plans to sabotage Big Boss?

They disassembled the base and all of the fobs and rebuilt a little ways north of South Africa.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Slightly Toasted posted:

They disassembled the base and all of the fobs and rebuilt a little ways north of South Africa.

Excuse me? Mother Base and all the FOBs are actually just giant robots that stood up and walked to South Africa.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Slightly Toasted posted:

They even forgot to replace all the diamond dog logos and just wrote "Outer Heaven" near them, or they just decided to remember their roots, or more likely it wasn't worth the effect to create the new assets

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I will say that for all the problems I had with the plot, Zero's characterization was 10 times better than what I expected. The final cassette tape is really a gut-punch because the new VA for Zero really sells him as a lonely old man who's full of regret at what his life turned into over the past 20 years.

Incidentally, I've listened to that tape a couple times now but it's still marked new in my iDroid menu. Anybody else run into that? Also, are the yellow combat deployments significant for anything other than rewards? Since they're marked yellow I wasn't sure if any other story nuggets would be unlocked by completing them all.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I will say that for all the problems I had with the plot, Zero's characterization was 10 times better than what I expected. The final cassette tape is really a gut-punch because the new VA for Zero really sells him as a lonely old man who's full of regret at what his life turned into over the past 20 years.

Incidentally, I've listened to that tape a couple times now but it's still marked new in my iDroid menu. Anybody else run into that? Also, are the yellow combat deployments significant for anything other than rewards? Since they're marked yellow I wasn't sure if any other story nuggets would be unlocked by completing them all.

Yellow combat deployments are part of a "quest chain" of deployments that kind of progress throughout the game. I think those are the ones that can give you stuff like blueprints.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

The "key" combat deployment missions are also rather aggravating because it's one of the two things stopping me from 100% completing the game.

Even with a team of S+ soldiers some of the missions are like a 70% success rate (including having Battle Gear and my own walkers and stuff), and that's stopping me from getting at least one blueprint, plus all the miscellaneous rewards like emblem parts and whatnot. It's down to RNG. Otherwise I've S-ranked everything and unlocked everything else short of a handful of no-reward achievements (the nuke stuff for FOBs, completing all side objectives, etc.)

It felt pretty good to S-rank all the missions, though. Some of them were just tough enough to feel challenging, but not so challenging or difficult that they were frustrating. A good example is Backup, Back Down; it's an extremely easy mission to complete and it's even easy to S-rank, but doing it absolutely perfectly requires a little practice. After a couple of tries I was able to plan out an effective route that let me do 100% of the mission in a single go. That was cool.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

What I liked about Zero is you can tell where he's still the Patriot bad guy who has misinterpreted the will of The Boss and that hasn't changed. But you can also see where he's a good person, and his insistence that Big Boss will wake up and gently caress you Big Boss is GOING to wake up and he will get everything prepared so that he can live his own life. His VA just completely nails it.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The fact that even during the time of Peace Walker Zero had basically lost control of the organisation helps a lot with the disconnect between the goofy old guy from MGS3 and all the poo poo that Cipher/Patriots get up to in the future.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Pwnstar posted:

The fact that even during the time of Peace Walker Zero had basically lost control of the organisation helps a lot with the disconnect between the goofy old guy from MGS3 and all the poo poo that Cipher/Patriots get up to in the future.
yeah I really couldn't see how they were going to pull that off and they did. The VA really sold it - I figured Zero would have lost control of the organisation somehow but I didn't expect the great level of pathos.

The fact that Zero just wanted to bury the hatchet, but because of the crazy Hungarian man, Big Boss went to his grave thinking Zero hated him, and that that whole misunderstanding is what doomed the world to the crazy future of the Patriots and Big Boss’ legacy… poor Zero.

Someone pointed out (in this thread?) that maybe the Words That Kill are the ones we never get to say

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Someone pointed out (in this thread?) that maybe the Words That Kill are the ones we never get to say

*sigh* Megan...

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Seeing what Episode 51 could have been really makes me wish it had been completed. Even if they had to construct a sparse area for the Sahelanthropus re-match to make it easier for consoles and PCs to deal with, it makes all the Lord of the Flies allusions a lot more appropriate. Even if it were a relatively small mission area, having a tropical island littered with booby traps and child soldiers would have been very cool, even if it doesn't add very much plot-wise. I was kind of bummed how child soldiers weren't as prominent in the game as I'd expected, but it wouldn't surprise me if Konami wanted to limit their inclusion to avoid controversy.

With how controversial Kojima was saying the game would be I was absolutely sure they would let you kill child soldiers. In real wars where western peacekeeping forces have to go in and fight child soldiers they don't have tranquil darts, they are killing children unless they want to die and it really really fucks up them up mentally. I think killing a child in a game is like instant ban territory though

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Colapops posted:

The "key" combat deployment missions are also rather aggravating because it's one of the two things stopping me from 100% completing the game.

Even with a team of S+ soldiers some of the missions are like a 70% success rate (including having Battle Gear and my own walkers and stuff), and that's stopping me from getting at least one blueprint, plus all the miscellaneous rewards like emblem parts and whatnot. It's down to RNG. Otherwise I've S-ranked everything and unlocked everything else short of a handful of no-reward achievements (the nuke stuff for FOBs, completing all side objectives, etc.)

It felt pretty good to S-rank all the missions, though. Some of them were just tough enough to feel challenging, but not so challenging or difficult that they were frustrating. A good example is Backup, Back Down; it's an extremely easy mission to complete and it's even easy to S-rank, but doing it absolutely perfectly requires a little practice. After a couple of tries I was able to plan out an effective route that let me do 100% of the mission in a single go. That was cool.

My combat team is level 99 and I still only get like 72% chance to complete the yellow objectives. One of which was gating off the Bullhorn blueprint for like three solid days.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

With how controversial Kojima was saying the game would be I was absolutely sure they would let you kill child soldiers. In real wars where western peacekeeping forces have to go in and fight child soldiers they don't have tranquil darts, they are killing children unless they want to die and it really really fucks up them up mentally. I think killing a child in a game is like instant ban territory though

That's why a lot of people are speculating that Chapter 3 would be DLC. According to ratings guidelines, content on the disk and released shortly after can not go undisclosed and will count towards the rating regardless of whether it's post launch or not. Now, a couple months later? Can't ban a game that's already in the user's hands.

It's a shame that Spec Ops: The Line was more like The Phantom Pain as seen in the trailers than The Phantom Pain itself.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Oct 19, 2015

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Alexander DeLarge posted:

That's why a lot of people are speculating that Chapter 3 would be DLC. According to ratings guidelines, content on the disk and released shortly after can not go undisclosed and will count towards the rating regardless of whether it's post launch or not. Now, a couple months later? Can't ban a game that's already in the user's hands.

It's a shame that Spec Ops: The Line was more like The Phantom Pain as seen in the trailers than The Phantom Pain itself.

No they can still ban a game and get it removed from sale. While not quiet the same, see san andreas and the hot coffee mod thing that got thier rating changed to adults only which forced all main stream game stores to stop selling it die to the rating.

Also really, you gotta stop wishing the game was your fanfiction cooked up from watching the trailers too many times and learn to take a thing in as what it is and not its marketing.

Tpp is pretty great

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Oct 19, 2015

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
you have to drop a nuke on the child soldier village, non-optional, like killing the boss

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

The trailers were deliberatly made so it would tell a different story, a story where Big Boss turns insane with all the vengence and such, but the exact opposite happens.

I already knew something was off when we seen the Quiet cutscene where Kaz was frothing mad, wanting her dead while BB was calm and rational.

Most complains end up in the "it's not the story I wanted" category, in which case, no poo poo, it never would be.
And then there are the people who literally expected the game to end with a fight against Solid Snake.

This is Mass Effect 3 all over again...

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Does anyone remember if there was an alternate logo used for this game at any point? I remember there being one that looked identical to the "Absolute Garbage" album cover, but I can't find any evidence of an alternate logo online.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

It was always The Phantom Pain with Metal Gear Solid V appearing in the negative space around the words, I think early trailers did have the words in red on a black / grey background though.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Vikar Jerome posted:

No they can still ban a game and get it removed from sale. While not quiet the same, see san andreas and the hot coffee mod thing that got thier rating changed to adults only which forced all main stream game stores to stop selling it die to the rating.

Also really, you gotta stop wishing the game was your fanfiction cooked up from watching the trailers too many times and learn to take a thing in as what it is and not its marketing.

Tpp is pretty great

My reaction to reading that GameSpot article about the importance of misdirection in trailers was "this is the one time I wish we got what we saw". It's not only the trailers, but also the interviews.

The twist is totally fine, but the fact that we spent 90% of the game fighting some forgettable villain. If this truly was supposed to be the last Metal Gear that ties everything together, why introduce new story arcs and characters rather than tying up loose ends and answering questions?

C51 is clearly sequel baiting and I just feel that Hideo stretched the story arc of Big Boss so far that now we'll never get the parts people were actually interested in. It feels like a generic season of a television program, not a series finale.

MGSV is a great game, and the story would be serviceable IF Metal Gear Solid 6 was on the horizon.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Party Boat posted:

It was always The Phantom Pain with Metal Gear Solid V appearing in the negative space around the words, I think early trailers did have the words in red on a black / grey background though.

Cheers, I looked up the first trailer and it has the same sort of visual style as the logo fades in. So I guess that's what I was thinking of.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Alexander DeLarge posted:

My reaction to reading that GameSpot article about the importance of misdirection in trailers was "this is the one time I wish we got what we saw". It's not only the trailers, but also the interviews.

The twist is totally fine, but the fact that we spent 90% of the game fighting some forgettable villain. If this truly was supposed to be the last Metal Gear that ties everything together, why introduce new story arcs and characters rather than tying up loose ends and answering questions?

C51 is clearly sequel baiting and I just feel that Hideo stretched the story arc of Big Boss so far that now we'll never get the parts people were actually interested in. It feels like a generic season of a television program, not a series finale.

MGSV is a great game, and the story would be serviceable IF Metal Gear Solid 6 was on the horizon.

Its been brought up before in the thread but mgs3, peace walker and mgsv all perfectly tell the tale of how he becomes the big bad boss of the series

Then again that could be lost on many depending on your view of kidnapping, brainwashing, army building, stealing, murdering and building nuclear weapons. If you dont think that is bad because in peace walker they did it with a goofy self justified reason then you may have missed the point kojima has been trying to make.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Vikar Jerome posted:

Its been brought up before in the thread but mgs3, peace walker and mgsv all perfectly tell the tale of how he becomes the big bad boss of the series

Then again that could be lost on many depending on your view of kidnapping, brainwashing, army building, stealing, murdering and building nuclear weapons. If you dont think that is bad because in peace walker they did it with a goofy self justified reason then you may have missed the point kojima has been trying to make.

Yeah but they have a really cute puppy though at Mother Base.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Bholder posted:

This is Mass Effect 3 all over again...

Nowhere near.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Is there any story reason for the existence of a bajillion cassette tapes of conversations in Peace Walker and MGSV?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mei Ling hadn't invented the codec system yet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

Is there any story reason for the existence of a bajillion cassette tapes of conversations in Peace Walker and MGSV?

They are a replacement for Codec calls.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Raxivace posted:

Because it was an easy and convenient way to store data at the time that was obly mildly anachronistic.

Also Big Boss really likes Walkmans.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Raxivace posted:

Boss likes to record things for the sake or having it recorded.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Let me rephrase the question: Are we supposed to think that Big Boss/Venom Snake is paranoid to the point where he's recording literally everything being said at Mother Base?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
someone is paranoid enough to record literally everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Raxivace posted:

Let me rephrase the question: Are we supposed to think that Big Boss/Venom Snake is paranoid to the point where he's recording literally everything being said at Mother Base?

At least in one of the Huey interrogations, he's clearly got the tape recorder on him at the time.

• Locked thread