Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Obdicut posted:

What the hell are you talking about? I brought it up in the context of the conversation of conservatives flipping out when someone of a different race is cast for a part, and of conservative media morons assuming that the main reason they were cast was because of their race.

And that is the main reason people are clamoring for Idris Elba as Bond. "It's time for a Black Bond" and poo poo like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

computer parts posted:

And that is the main reason people are clamoring for Idris Elba as Bond. "It's time for a Black Bond" and poo poo like that.

So we should never have a black Bond then? I am having a real hard time understanding your point. You are saying people only want him because he is black, but you ignore a bunch of other black Brits that literally no one is asking for. I think people wanted him because he has proven able to play a Bond type character, and he has been in a bunch of stuff recently. He also happens to be black, and a lot of people would like to see him cast because of how racists would flip their poo poo over it, but it isn't like that is the main and first reason to pick him, or every other black actor would be right there with him.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Deptfordx posted:

I don't think it's even that. Just that the writers like to shake things up occasionally and they'd already brought back 'Bucky' Barnes from the dead and made him Captain America for awhile.

It won't stick, Steve Rogers will be repowered/deaged and taking back the shield after they've played around with the Falcon as Cap for a few story arcs.

Well yeah, the reasons for it are always varied. I'm mostly talking about the inevitable reaction from the far-right.

She-Thor seemed a bit ham-fisted, though.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Republicans posted:

Well yeah, the reasons for it are always varied. I'm mostly talking about the inevitable reaction from the far-right.

I'm sorry, you seem to be under the delusion that ham-fisted is a meaningful label that one can apply to comic books. :toughguy:

We are talking about a genre where people die and come back to life and get banished every other run.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

computer parts posted:

Again, it's not. It's because he personifies classy, smart badassery.

Why do you believe that it's because he's black?

Or, what TastyPotato said.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Republicans posted:

i give she-thor some leeway since the entire thing, including thor not being able to lift mjolnir anymore starting in Original Sin, has been written by one dude

also she-thor isn't as good as THOR AND THOR AND THOR VS GOR THE GOD BUTCHER so whatever man

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Republicans posted:

Is she-Thor more or less hamfisted than Frog Thor?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Obdicut posted:

Or, what TastyPotato said.

TastyPotato acknowledged that him being black was a major reason, which was my point to begin with.

Again, note your question:

Obdicut posted:

Why do you think him being black is a major reason?

A major reason is not THE major reason. But to Elba, it doesn't matter, because him being "the Black Bond" is distasteful even if it's not the primary reason.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Malleum posted:

Is she-Thor more or less hamfisted than Frog Thor?

frog thor was a joke character in a silly comedy book, calling it hamfisted misses the point

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Radish posted:

Who's mad about Ms Marvel?? She's adorable.

Muslim, woman, brown. Any one of those alone is enough to make certain people lose their poo poo.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

computer parts posted:

TastyPotato acknowledged that him being black was a major reason, which was my point to begin with.

Again, note your question:

A major reason is not THE major reason. But to Elba, it doesn't matter, because him being "the Black Bond" is distasteful even if it's not the primary reason.

Can you at least link to him saying he feels that way? I really don't remember him saying playing Bond would be distasteful. I just looked it up in fact, and he said that him playing Bond would rely on the will of the people. That was last month.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/10/fox-friends-freaks-out-over-black-captain-america-its-a-plot-to-target-conservatives/

Fox and Friends gets mad that a racist super-villain group in a comic book have the same opinions as they do. Also, Captain America is black now.

I know a guy who's a retired NYPD detective and he was so mad that people just "won't leave his stuff alone." Oh and why yes he is a Trump supporter

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

computer parts posted:

No, the main reason people are clamoring for Idris Elba as Bond is because Idris Elba is loving awesome.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

computer parts posted:

You're mixing up his distaste for being 'Black Bond' with not wanting the role. He doesn't want to be thought of that way--in the way that you're doing, that a major reason he's being picked is for being black, thinking that there's a lot of people who want him just for being black.

People want him as Bond because he would make a great Bond. His race is a detriment, it works against him in getting the role, not for him.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

twistedmentat posted:

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/10/fox-friends-freaks-out-over-black-captain-america-its-a-plot-to-target-conservatives/

Fox and Friends gets mad that a racist super-villain group in a comic book have the same opinions as they do. Also, Captain America is black now.

falcon has been cap for a while now, and i am pretty sure the movies setting up falcon to take the role as well, him or bucky. and marvel comics has shat on right wing hate groups for years with villains like the Purifiers and there leader william stryker, he is literally a televangelist who made a militia to "purge" the mutants.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Dapper_Swindler posted:

and marvel comics has shat on right wing hate groups for years with villains like the Purifiers and there leader william stryker, he is literally a televangelist who made a militia to "purge" the mutants.

They've never been quick on the uptake.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Is there gonna be a Frog Bond?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

No, the main reason people are clamoring for Idris Elba as Bond is because Idris Elba is loving awesome.

Yeah but he's blaaaaaaa...

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Radish posted:

Who's mad about Ms Marvel?? She's adorable.

Because Ms Marvel is supposed to be a blond blue eyed super model USAF pilot from Boston, and not a Pakistani Muslim teenager from Jersey who its well versed in internet culture! Things should never change! Even if the change was greeted with both critical praise and sales by a majority of people it is wrong and bad!

Lady Thor, Squirrel Girl and Ms Marvel regularly find themselves on best of and must read lists.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

falcon has been cap for a while now, and i am pretty sure the movies setting up falcon to take the role as well, him or bucky. and marvel comics has shat on right wing hate groups for years with villains like the Purifiers and there leader william stryker, he is literally a televangelist who made a militia to "purge" the mutants.

Oh yea, but they seem to be just realizing that now. You know Fox News would be on the side of AIM; "here they are the Avengers pushing regulations on Innovators like Modok stiffing their creativity".

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Cap's MO has pretty much always been making GBS threads on right wing shitlords. The first issue of Captain America came out a year before the Pearl Harbor bombing, with this as the cover:

Nazi sympathizers showed up at the offices after that because they were offended by the portrayal of Hitler and the Nazis. A short, angry, Jewish guy from the Lower East Side by the name of Jack Kirby went downstairs himself to teach those punks a lesson :hellyeah: They bolted before he could beat their asses, sadly.

As a bonus, here's a Cap monologue that I've always thought was great (he's just beaten a lovely fake Cap):

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

twistedmentat posted:

Because Ms Marvel is supposed to be a blond blue eyed super model USAF pilot from Boston, and not a Pakistani Muslim teenager from Jersey who its well versed in internet culture! Things should never change! Even if the change was greeted with both critical praise and sales by a majority of people it is wrong and bad!

Lady Thor, Squirrel Girl and Ms Marvel regularly find themselves on best of and must read lists.

Huh. I'm not a comics reader but the impression I'd gotten was that Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel were two separate characters who worked together or got their powers from the same source.

Makes me wonder which version is going to be cast for the Captain Marvel movie coming up in a few years.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Cythereal posted:

Huh. I'm not a comics reader but the impression I'd gotten was that Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel were two separate characters who worked together or got their powers from the same source.

Makes me wonder which version is going to be cast for the Captain Marvel movie coming up in a few years.

The current Captain was formally Ms. Marvel, she took up the mantle of Captain after the death of the original, after the encouragement of some of her friends.

Given Disney's current MO, there is little to no chance that the Captain Marvel movie will be about anyone but Carol Danvers. In fact, Danvers was set to cameo at the end of Avengers: Age of Ultron as Captain Marvel, but they decided that adding her and other new heroes at the end might be confusing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ToastyPotato posted:

The current Captain was formally Ms. Marvel, she took up the mantle of Captain after the death of the original, after the encouragement of some of her friends.

Given Disney's current MO, there is little to no chance that the Captain Marvel movie will be about anyone but Carol Danvers. In fact, Danvers was set to cameo at the end of Avengers: Age of Ultron as Captain Marvel, but they decided that adding her and other new heroes at the end might be confusing.

Yeah, I was assuming the Danvers Captain Marvel was the main person for that title and then the Kamala girl later was a Ms. Marvel distinct from Danvers who was either her sidekick or some such or got her powers from the same source.

It will be nice seeing either one get a solo Marvel film, though.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

And who here could forget when Superman renounced his American citizenship

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I was thinking though. Davner's powers are because she knew the original Captain Marvel. Would they include the original Captain Marvel in that movie or say Danvers is the alien?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

You keep talking about Captain Marvel and I'm thinking "Isn't he called Shazam now?"

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Republicans posted:

You keep talking about Captain Marvel and I'm thinking "Isn't he called Shazam now?"

What, you mean Shaq?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

BigRed0427 posted:

What, you mean Shaq?

No, that's Kazaam.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Obdicut posted:

You're mixing up his distaste for being 'Black Bond' with not wanting the role. He doesn't want to be thought of that way--in the way that you're doing, that a major reason he's being picked is for being black, thinking that there's a lot of people who want him just for being black.

People want him as Bond because he would make a great Bond. His race is a detriment, it works against him in getting the role, not for him.

I think we are drifting from the point. It's not who among Elba, Lester, Haywood, and Akinnuoye-Agbaje would be a good James Bond, (Adrian Lester would be the Best Bond Ever, and I will fight anyone who says otherwise,) it's that all actors should be able to pick a character that they want to play for reasons they want to play and not be excluded for picayune details they can easily overcome and can be written around.

And, of course, so that we can watch RWM lose their loving minds when it happens. :haw:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Republicans posted:

D.C. and Marvel both had/have a Captain Marvel.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Oh yea, but they seem to be just realizing that now. You know Fox News would be on the side of AIM; "here they are the Avengers pushing regulations on Innovators like Modok stiffing their creativity".

new squirrel girl is awful(mostly because i hate the art and the jokes feel like waypool) in my opinion but the rest are fine.

Shakenbaker posted:

Cap's MO has pretty much always been making GBS threads on right wing shitlords. The first issue of Captain America came out a year before the Pearl Harbor bombing, with this as the cover:

Nazi sympathizers showed up at the offices after that because they were offended by the portrayal of Hitler and the Nazis. A short, angry, Jewish guy from the Lower East Side by the name of Jack Kirby went downstairs himself to teach those punks a lesson :hellyeah: They bolted before he could beat their asses, sadly.

As a bonus, here's a Cap monologue that I've always thought was great (he's just beaten a lovely fake Cap):

i always saw captain america as a non-partisan character. maybe a little old fashioned in a sense but never extreme either way. either way, why do they care about some one off villain who will probaly never be seen again.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

I think it's because the things the Captain stands for don't mesh to how a lot of people feel the country should be run.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

BigRed0427 posted:

I was thinking though. Davner's powers are because she knew the original Captain Marvel. Would they include the original Captain Marvel in that movie or say Danvers is the alien?

They can essentially do what the Earth's Mightiest Avengers cartoon did and compress the poo poo out of the first Marvel's time on Earth. He ends up here, she gets powers, he probably dies or something mid film during a fight with the big bad. They already said they don't want to do any more origin films though, so it will probably be even more compressed where they only show that in flashbacks or those events will take place in another film, like Infinity War.

Mister Macys posted:

D.C. and Marvel both had/have a Captain Marvel.

DC had it for a long time but officially lost the rights to the name some what recently.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i always saw captain america as a non-partisan character. maybe a little old fashioned in a sense but never extreme either way. either way, why do they care about some one off villain who will probaly never be seen again.

The Sons of the Serpent have been around since the 60's and have been racist shitheels since day one :eng101:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Shakenbaker posted:

The Sons of the Serpent have been around since the 60's and have been racist shitheels since day one :eng101:

heh, learn something new everyday.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Shakenbaker posted:

Yea weird it's almost like Cap has always stood for fighting bigotry and hate done in the name of America because he represents an America that's supposed to be bigger than such things and welcoming to everyone.

Anyway lemmie tell you why a black Captain America is fuckin bullshit

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Shakenbaker posted:

I want to see Luke Cage team up with the current Cap to wreck those dudes. Make Sean Hannity frown that lovely little frown of his.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea weird it's almost like Cap has always stood for fighting bigotry and hate done in the name of America because he represents an America that's supposed to be bigger than such things and welcoming to everyone.

Anyway lemmie tell you why a black Captain America is fuckin bullshit

I also remember that Captain after WW2 and through he 50s was that shithead Sean Hanniy would be proud of, until Marvel revealed that he wasn't the real Captain. The Real Captain America was frozen after the war. Which led to the story that those panels are from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

computer parts posted:

I mean how many other Black Brits can you name off of the top of your head?

Lennie James; unlike James Bond however, no one fucks with Lennie James :colbert: