Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

david_a posted:

Then again, going multiple times is clearly the superior option because it's rad as hell :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

YF19pilot posted:

Remember that the XB-70 was a prototype, and thus only had two crew. The co-pilot could safely monitor the systems without dividing his attention to mission critical issues like SAMs or MiGs. The full production B-70 (and I think the unfinished 3rd airship) was to have had the traditional USAF bomber four-man crew of pilot, co-pilot, engineer, and bombardier/radio-man.

That's still a helluva lot for a co-pilot to have.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It's not like these were pilots fresh out of UPT. Even the co probably had a couple thousand hours as PIC/solo.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yea and? It's a big workload. That's all I'm saying here.

bloops fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 17, 2015

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Hey AI, here's a skill testing question for you: what the heck is this?

Answer: This Connie cross-bred with a Dash 8 is a Airspeed Ambassador. Built in the late forties, 24 production aircraft were made - it fell out of use by the late 1950s as it had piston instead of turbine engines.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
That actually doesn't look nearly as loving awful as an actual Connie.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

holocaust bloopers posted:

That's because it's based on a normal Connie, not a superconnie. It's the superconstellation that looks like the product of extensive inbreeding.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

:nallears:

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

said no one with eyes, ever.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
With two Bristol Centaurus engines it is likely the only twin engine plane to land with three engines out.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

Hey AI, here's a skill testing question for you: what the heck is this?

Answer: This Connie cross-bred with a Dash 8 is a Airspeed Ambassador. Built in the late forties, 24 production aircraft were made - it fell out of use by the late 1950s as it had piston instead of turbine engines.
It actually looks like a Constellation and a Noratlas had a baby.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Pretend that instead of this sentence I post an edgy joke about Manchester United.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

ehnus posted:

With two Bristol Centaurus engines it is likely the only twin engine plane to land with three engines out.

I find this far more amusing that I really aught.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

so loving future posted:

said no one with eyes, ever.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I'm looking at the Bristol Centaurus' Wikipedia entry and I'm afraid I don't really get it. :(

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Please explain your inside jokes. Please stop making people ask.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
It's two radial engines mated at the crankshaft.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

Please explain your inside jokes. Please stop making people ask.

It's a two row radial engine, which basically means it's two radials connected at the crankshaft. Correcting for English craftsmanship that should be about as reliable as a Wasp Major's four engines. :v:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'm still mad we didn't get to stop at Wright-Patterson when I helped my sister move back down from Michigan last summer. We drove through Dayton and everything. :argh:

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

I think I'm heading down to WP to watch them move the Valkyrie. I have a buddy talked into rolling with me and everything.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Yeah I'll be at the Valkyrie move as well. It'll be awesome to see it out in the open and not crammed in a hanger.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
This is good, this means lots of photos/videos will be posted of something I have no chance of seeing in person! :)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.facebook.com/1600021113597594/videos/1645950695671302/

A video of some dudes filming an emirates a380 commercial in a helicopter. Kinda scary to watch even though you know they had it all under control.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Who is up for more engine cowlings falling off?

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/tigerair-flight-to/2199734.html

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
powerslide your bushplane
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RXOrc6dnSg

DaveP
Apr 25, 2011

Getting start-of-the-disaster-survival-novel vibes off of that

"What do you mean you rolled our only way out of here?"

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Naked bike concept yo, don't fear

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Tiger is a budget airline (partly owned by Virgin) so parts falling off come with the ticket price.

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
Its what you get for paying bare minimum for maintenance.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

:parrot:

Then

:stare:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
That's how we punish the ones that do something naughty like an uncommanded complete roll in flight.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
So there are some pictures of the Bugatti 100p in flight on facebook.

Looks like they kept it out of the mud this time and pulled off a circuit.

helno fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 18, 2015

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Ground resonance is a hell of a thing.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RihcJR0zvfM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2tHA7KmRME

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
The Bugatti 100p flew and didn't crash this time.
https://www.facebook.com/TheBugatti100pProject/videos/vb.261574317253048/869079413169199/

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Why does the engine start smoking? An oil line or something broke?

Also, what did they do to cause this? Just bolt it down?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

david_a posted:

Why does the engine start smoking? An oil line or something broke?

Also, what did they do to cause this? Just bolt it down?

I need to explain this every time that gets posted. It wasn't a ground resonance test, that's a well-understood phenomenon.

What caused it in this case was the took the oleos off and strapped it right to the ground, without the struts to dissipate energy it went into resonance.

This was supposed to be a weapons effect test at Aberdeen. This airframe was a total loss because during a ferry flight, it experienced a controls malfunction that resulted in a complete roll in flight, pilot managed to recover a few hundred feet before impact and got it down safe, but the airframe was definitely over stressed so the Army decided they'd bolt it down, start it up, and start shooting it with various calibers. They didn't quite get to that last part because it shook itself apart first.

Edit: Dude, you can't call me out for phoneposting typos. This thing wanted to turn oleos into Oreos.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 19, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Phanatic posted:

Army decided they'd bolt it down, start it up, and start shooting it with various calipers. They didn't quite get to that last part because it shook itself apart first.

Why would they shoot calipers at a helicopter? Seems like a strange thing to do, and a waste of good calipers. Of course, maybe they had an idea for a new and unique way of measuring things that we'll now never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Locator posted:

Why would they shoot calipers at a helicopter? Seems like a strange thing to do, and a waste of good calipers. Of course, maybe they had an idea for a new and unique way of measuring things that we'll now never know.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/3-new-us-military-surplus-measuring-calipers?a=1712036