Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Here's an example of one concern I have with Defy Danger. A player is responding to a jet of flame trap that shoots from a doorway in front of his character -- the brave adventurer decides immediately to quickly raise his shield to outlast the burst of fire. Is he:

A: acting fast, in raising his shield as a reaction? +DEX
B: enduring the blast? + CON
C: thinking quickly, using his shield to protect outside of combat? + INT

I think B is the weakest, but it's at least plausible and I am sure that given enough time, people in this thread could come up with a better example that drags +CON in. I can go either way with A or C. The player will always want to frame his actions in terms of whichever is more advantageous. It may well just be my personal preference; I want players thinking about the fiction, not the game move.

It also dilutes the theme. If I ask you to envision an iconic D&D character who's quicker than the rest of the party at dodging things, there's a good chance you envisioned an elf, a rogue, or an elven rogue. You almost certainly did not imagine the beardy wizard, who thought quickly and and got out of the path of whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
But the point is it should be up to the GM to decide that, not the player. To me that example is pretty clearly Con since you are absorbing the blow, but so long as you are consistent I don't think it should be a problem.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?

neaden posted:

But the point is it should be up to the GM to decide that, not the player. To me that example is pretty clearly Con since you are absorbing the blow, but so long as you are consistent I don't think it should be a problem.

Isn't that how it works? You describe what you're doing, then the gm tells you the roll. Am I misremembering that?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

homullus posted:

Here's an example of one concern I have with Defy Danger. A player is responding to a jet of flame trap that shoots from a doorway in front of his character -- the brave adventurer decides immediately to quickly raise his shield to outlast the burst of fire. Is he:
A: acting fast, in raising his shield as a reaction? +DEX
B: enduring the blast? + CON
C: thinking quickly, using his shield to protect outside of combat? + INT

I think B is the weakest, but it's at least plausible and I am sure that given enough time, people in this thread could come up with a better example that drags +CON in. I can go either way with A or C. The player will always want to frame his actions in terms of whichever is more advantageous. It may well just be my personal preference; I want players thinking about the fiction, not the game move.
As the DM you just pick the move that best applies. Dex covers speed and getting out of the way, so if someone just says "I think fast to get out of the way, +INT right?" you say "DEX is the move that best applies."

In this case, "outlast" is pretty much a synonym of "endure," so it's only gonna trigger a +CON Defy roll without more dialogue to follow. The DM should ask an "are you sure you want to do this thing that will make you roll +CON?" type clarifying question then move on from there.

quote:

It also dilutes the theme. If I ask you to envision an iconic D&D character who's quicker than the rest of the party at dodging things, there's a good chance you envisioned an elf, a rogue, or an elven rogue. You almost certainly did not imagine the beardy wizard, who thought quickly and and got out of the path of whatever.
Basic moves like DD are not class moves, there to evoke some specific character archetype from fantasy adventuring, instead they're there for general adventure stuff. Any adventurer can decide to put a shield in the way of the flame jet and block, or get out of the way, or hit the nozzle with a hammer to bend or break it, or snuff out the pilot flame with some pocket sand; it all depends on the fiction which includes stuff like gear. Even the fastest adventurer probably can't dodge with their feet glued to the ground or whatnot.

The DM is not there to say this class can use this stat to dodge and this one can't. That doesn't follow the fiction, that follows some metagame balance stuff that doesn't matter.

FicusArt posted:

Isn't that how it works? You describe what you're doing, then the gm tells you the roll. Am I misremembering that?
Everyone should keep track of triggers so no one forgets to do it when they do it. Just because most conversation is back and forth between the GM and other players doesn't mean it's all on them to know and listen for all the PC's triggers.

The following section is addressed to all players, "If it’s ever unclear if a move has been triggered, everyone should work together to clarify what’s happening. Ask questions of everyone involved until everyone sees the situation the same way and then roll the dice, or don’t, as the situation requires."

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

slydingdoor posted:

The following section is addressed to all players, "If it’s ever unclear if a move has been triggered, everyone should work together to clarify what’s happening. Ask questions of everyone involved until everyone sees the situation the same way and then roll the dice, or don’t, as the situation requires."

This is great advice, one of many pieces of great advice in the game. A better game would not have a Defy Danger that requires this rule as often as it does.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
What would be an alternative within the context of the game's theme?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Banana Man posted:

What would be an alternative within the context of the game's theme?

It depends on what you think the game's theme is. I think that the game's theme is "trying to be old-school D&D," and so I think they should have made class-specific moves to give each an advantage to "defying danger" in the areas where that class had strong saving throws in AD&D. Give flat 10+/7-9/6- rolls to all the rest, maybe give each class a way to give other party members +1 forward on their saves when the fiction allowed ("Quick, everybody under my Shield spell"). That's just off the top of my head, I am sure people more skilled in PbtA design could do better.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

So a player just died and wants to keep playing as 'themselves'. Is there any Ghost playbook out there?

Alternatively, whats the best Necromancer style class?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Sounds like someone earned a compendium class.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

That could certainly work. Any advice on which?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
There's a couple in the OP, the Immortal might be the most appropriate.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I swear Numbers Appearing had zombies and the such.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Making your own is always an option if you don't find one that fits.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I took Shamblercow's Necromancer and made some heavy (spoopy) modifications, then slapped that into a DW template, and that oughta do the trick. Thanks guys!

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

So a player just died and wants to keep playing as 'themselves'. Is there any Ghost playbook out there?

I've successfully reflavored Rainlord as a ghost, since it has moves about being not-entirely-solid, being surrounded by spooky fog, etc. Survivor makes a pretty good zombie/Frankenstein's monster, too.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Lands of the dead has the ethereal compendium class which is for characters who have lost or forgone their physical form.

Lands of the dead

I also put the ethereal in grim world if you have that.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Well good news, there is now a Ghost playbook out there! Because I just published it 2 minutes ago.

Hello Dungeon World thread! I have released a new playbook pack, my third one after the Alternate Core Playbooks and the Mage Bundle. This one is very Halloween themed, and the core of it was written by the forums' RulebookHeavily, with refining/formatting work done by me. The bundle is THE CREATURES OF THE NIGHT, and contains playbooks for the Vampire, the Werewolf, and the Wraith.

The main gimmick of these playbooks is they are not basic playbooks, and they are not compendium classes. They are Advanced Playbooks that are overlaid on top of your original playbook, replacing some of your moves with new ones to represent your transformation into something else. Unlike a CC, you don't need to level up to get these, and you can even start the game as, say, a Vampire Fighter or a Werewolf Golem.

And if you want to get it at a 50% off discount, I've also put it into a Halloween bundle with The Witch and The Cultist, so if you're missing one or both of those, it is a pretty good deal.

Check 'em out! Because this is probably the last thing I'm gonna ever publish for Dungeon World.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

gnome7 posted:

Well good news, there is now a Ghost playbook out there! Because I just published it 2 minutes ago.

Hello Dungeon World thread! I have released a new playbook pack, my third one after the Alternate Core Playbooks and the Mage Bundle. This one is very Halloween themed, and the core of it was written by the forums' RulebookHeavily, with refining/formatting work done by me. The bundle is THE CREATURES OF THE NIGHT, and contains playbooks for the Vampire, the Werewolf, and the Wraith.

The main gimmick of these playbooks is they are not basic playbooks, and they are not compendium classes. They are Advanced Playbooks that are overlaid on top of your original playbook, replacing some of your moves with new ones to represent your transformation into something else. Unlike a CC, you don't need to level up to get these, and you can even start the game as, say, a Vampire Fighter or a Werewolf Golem.

And if you want to get it at a 50% off discount, I've also put it into a Halloween bundle with The Witch and The Cultist, so if you're missing one or both of those, it is a pretty good deal.

Check 'em out! Because this is probably the last thing I'm gonna ever publish for Dungeon World.

These a quite fun, I'm definitely thinking of how to make more of them, they just seem way more interesting that compendium classes.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
To prevent confusion; Remember that your race move is also a starting move.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

gnome7 posted:

Wait, what? Why? Are you just focusing on non-DW custom game stuff? And if so, what? Or are you retiring from game design / dying or something?

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?

Blasphemeral posted:

Wait, what? Why? Are you just focusing on non-DW custom game stuff? And if so, what? Or are you retiring from game design / dying or something?

You may want to check out this thread about gnome7's game, Fellowship

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Well, my Witch (gnome's, not the other dude who is a jerk I think maybe?) just died two sessions into a campaign, but she died in a pretty cool way, taking all the blame for witchcraft in her coven to remove a witch-hunter's suspicion. Still, I would've liked to have gotten a bit more with her.

I think I'm gonna write my own playbook for my next character, The Mercenary Commander, a combination of the Apocalypse World Chopper, a 4th Edition Warlord, and a high level 2nd edition fighter who gets their own castle and stuff. Hopefully it'll be cool.

Oh, also apparently these games are being recorded, so I'll post 'em when they're up.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Hey, could someone point me to a copy of The Princess playbooks someone did here a little while back? The one with the Disney font?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_W1uSpYihHpYjE5b3pzOUs0NFE/edit

I think this is the newest version.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 10, 2015

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
Quick question: Does it break the game at all if two players use the same playbook? I know the game discourages it, but will things really get ruined if there are two Wizards in the party?

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

The problem falls on making sure the two characters are different. Two of the GM Moves are "show the (dis)advantages of a character's class," which can be redundant if you've got two of them. But if the characters are differentiated enough, then you can try your best at it.

ActingPower fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 10, 2015

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Simian_Prime posted:

Quick question: Does it break the game at all if two players use the same playbook? I know the game discourages it, but will things really get ruined if there are two Wizards in the party?

Not break so much as step on the players' toes. That rule is primarily about niche protection, if A and B are both Wizards and A is always doing the Cool Wizard Stuff (tm) that leaves B a little left out, its also why you want to watch out for multiclass stuff. You don't want the fighter being a better thief than the thief.

This is also why the Paladin is the worst core class, aside from being 80% boring numbers go up bullshit, it Fighters better than the Fighter.

But there are a ton of alternate classes and playbooks, if you have two players keen on being mages, maybe pick two different but complimentary pbs for them

Gnome's mages and witch are great.
Inverse World's lantern, rainlord, and collector either are or can be reflavored super easy.
Johnstone Metzger (author of class warfare and other cool things) has made Warlock and Elementalist pbs.

In fact, I have a player in my irl game right now playing a "Wizard" Elementalist.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

quote:

1. Choose a Class

Look over the character classes and choose one that interests you. To start with everyone chooses a different class; there aren’t two wizards. If two people want the same class, talk it over like adults and compromise.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Simian_Prime posted:

The playbooks aren't different enough from themselves to make it work. They'll both be good at basically the exact same things and excel in the exact same situations, which means they'll both be fighting over trying to do the same thing at the same time. The rule on "no shared playbooks" isn't a suggestion, it's a rule. Don't break it.

Thankfully, "wizard" is probably the most rewritten playbook out there - there's tons of different spellcaster playbooks about. I highly recommend looking around and finding a small pile for your two players to pick a wizard from. Error404 listed most of them, but there's also Grim World's Channeler, Shaman, and Necromancer, my Spellsword playbook, and I highly recommend this big pile of different Mages.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Simian_Prime posted:

There's also the Spellslinger, Fae, and Sorcerer classes by me.

DTRPG here
Google Docs here

Spellslinger is a combination of old west gunslinger and harry potter spell combat.

Fae is about having weaknesses and granting wishes or casting curses.

Sorcerer is about causing strange magical effects based on your volatile emotions, or controlling others' emotions.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
Ok, ok cool! Thankfully this issue hasn't come up at my table before, I was just curious.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Yep! Haven't had time to update it to the new playbook look, though. ...not 100% sure I have the real estate for that either, but I'll try.

Have they dropped InDesign docs for the new playbook yet?

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
What's the playbook that's most like a classic Final Fantasy Black Mage?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Gnome's Witch is a pretty solid all-around magic-user playbook- you can chuck black magic spells of different elemental effects around, depending on what type of witch you are, you can make potions and you have a broomstick (or whatever) to fly around on. For someone who wants a Black Mage experience while also having other stuff to do than "I shoot him with magic" I'd recommend it.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Thanks! I overlooked that the first time because it has such a strong Kiki's Delivery Service flavor (which is great, btw!) and forgot how much other stuff is in it.

One last request: I've grabbed the Improved Bard, but are there any other bardic or musical playbooks? Besides the one-off reference in move names in playbooks like the Barbarian, I haven't seen any. There isn't, like, a The Minstrel playbook or something? Anything to give my bard player a second option?

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Blasphemeral posted:

Thanks! I overlooked that the first time because it has such a strong Kiki's Delivery Service flavor (which is great, btw!) and forgot how much other stuff is in it.

One last request: I've grabbed the Improved Bard, but are there any other bardic or musical playbooks? Besides the one-off reference in move names in playbooks like the Barbarian, I haven't seen any. There isn't, like, a The Minstrel playbook or something? Anything to give my bard player a second option?

Does he just really want to incorporate music into his character or something else? For reference the revised bardo dos specifically took out music stuff because I find force of will/leadership cooler.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Fenarisk posted:

Does he just really want to incorporate music into his character or something else? For reference the revised bardo dos specifically took out music stuff because I find force of will/leadership cooler.

Yeah, music stuff is important to her character.
Am I better going with the original Bard, then?

[Edit] To clarify, I'm using what I believe is Gnome's Improved Bard. Dunno if there's a different one; that's kinda what I'm asking.

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 13, 2015

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
There's the official core book Bard, which heals or buffs allies with music (or any other 'performance') by using the Arcane Art move. All of the moves are loosely worded to allow for any other type of inspiring ability, but you could totally make it all about the music. The starting gear includes a musical instrument.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Blasphemeral posted:

I'm a bit late on this but you can try out my maestro.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5RjPWInqxg2SF9uQ0ZmMWJfZTg/view

I haven't cleaned it up but it's about 90% ready to go. You can play him as any sort of artist, but music is certainly a possibility. More "composer" than "wandering bard", though.

EDIT: I'm looking for a playbook or resource that was about homesteading. I can't really find it any more, but it was about the players forming a community, and one could be a marshall I think? And some other positions. Each had an associated move as well.

Alternatively, any sort of rules about homesteading/managing your own business/town/whatever will do.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

I'm a bit late on this but you can try out my maestro.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5RjPWInqxg2SF9uQ0ZmMWJfZTg/view

I haven't cleaned it up but it's about 90% ready to go. You can play him as any sort of artist, but music is certainly a possibility. More "composer" than "wandering bard", though.

EDIT: I'm looking for a playbook or resource that was about homesteading. I can't really find it any more, but it was about the players forming a community, and one could be a marshall I think? And some other positions. Each had an associated move as well.

Alternatively, any sort of rules about homesteading/managing your own business/town/whatever will do.

Wow, this is great! I wish I had seen this before the game. I'll def. add it to my "advanced recommended playbooks" list.