Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I haven't really found a solution. Work got busy and all I've been able to do is stick with SS. Haven't tried to incorporate running back in yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
neva rest, neva surrenda

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I have reached my target weight of 186.
I have a new target weight of 180.
Which will become 175 once i get to 180.

I am however still """"fat""""

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

how tall are you 5'2?

bengy81
May 8, 2010

ElMaligno posted:

I had that problem, I was skinny fat at 175, I dropped to 165 once and I was skeletal fat.

Now I'm like 200 and fat fat, but I figure with all the lifting I've been doing when I get back towards 180 I should be "normal" looking :pray:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

how tall are you 5'2?

5'9"

I have a beer belly though LOL

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
my goal is to weigh 240lbs in honor of the 240B

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

You guys looking for a lifting program that leaves space for cardio and also having a life should check out Westside for Skinny Bastards, it's built for athletes so it's a strength/performance-centric lifting program that assumes that you're doing at least as much conditioning or whatever throughout the day.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah I did it for a while. Didn't see crazy results like starting strength but it's great if you want to tailor the program towards your goals

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
The fact of the matter is there is no magic solution that. addresses all aspects of fitness perfectly. Figure out what your goals are and then tailor your workout towards that. I've personally found that 5/3/1 gives me a lot of flexibility due to the relatively smaller volume then a linear gains program like SS. I could still probably get some progression from such a program like that but I'm not solely focused on strength gains. 5/3/1 lets me make gains and still be fresh enough to get other fitness goals accomplished

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

My BJJ coach asked me if I wanted to participate in a tournament in Las Vegas, time to decide if I want to cut 5 pounds and participate in the medium weight class OR stay at 185 and participate in the medium heavy class...

poo poo.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Cut the weight to harness your true power.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Cut the weight to harness your true power.

Seeing that I have been at 183-185 for the last couple of days cutting down to the max weight of Medium class (181.5) should be easy as hell.

B..but my pizza :cry:

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

ElMaligno posted:

Seeing that I have been at 183-185 for the last couple of days cutting down to the max weight of Medium class (181.5) should be easy as hell.

B..but my pizza :cry:

You can still eat pizza, you just need to learn how to use your fingers to stay pretty.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
yeah stickin fingers in your butt makes you real pretty buddy

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Your surrogate key posted:

Did you find a solution? Because I'm having the same problem. How is a "strength+running+rest+have a life" program suppose to look like?
I do the starting strength during my lunch break and run 10km after work, followed by a rest day. Rinse and repeat. That sort of works but it renders me useless in the evenings. I foam roll and do yoga in my rest days.
Thinking of trying strength training and running on alternative days but then when do I rest?! o.O

Ive been on SS for about 6 months, I had to take a break for about a month preceding my pt test to focus on running so I wouldn't fail it. I lost about 10lbs and about 20 pounds on my squat. There was no way for me to improve my run time while on SS.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

EXERCISE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxFZwc6n8oI

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

oh yeah this thread. well i am at 175 and still loosing weight, its incredible how much weight you can loose when you can actually do a routine set workout and eat good without the mil taking you on a magical mystery tour for two months.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

All joking aside, that dude is actually capable of doing a pull-up which is 100% more than about 90% of the population of America.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

MurderBot posted:

All joking aside, that dude is actually capable of doing a pull-up which is 100% more than about 90% of the population of America.

chin didnt pass the bar none of em counted

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Honestly he does chin ups better than a chunk of people in my company.

Also, holy loving hell. Having a home gym is sweet. I'm visiting family and since I'm on a lovely night shift with nothing to di, I went out to this little a/c equipped shed in the middle of the night and had a great time. I hate having to share or wait in the gym, so having it all to myself was a reminder that i need to make sure my next place has a spot for a squat rack and bench at the very least. I'm envious of you guys with garage gyms.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Your surrogate key posted:

Did you find a solution? Because I'm having the same problem. How is a "strength+running+rest+have a life" program suppose to look like?
I do the starting strength during my lunch break and run 10km after work, followed by a rest day. Rinse and repeat. That sort of works but it renders me useless in the evenings. I foam roll and do yoga in my rest days.
Thinking of trying strength training and running on alternative days but then when do I rest?! o.O

I've been fond of:

Monday: Squat, Heavy Bench, Volume OHP, High-rep Pull-ups, Tabata
Wed: BW exercises (push-ups, crunches & planks mostly) and a run
Friday: DL, Heavy OHP, Volume Bench, High-rep Pull-ups, Tabata
Saturday: Power-cleans, Weighted Pull-ups, Swim/Yoga if I feel like it

It's slightly less than SS, but gets in enough to regularly make a bit of progress. You can do 3x5 for the compounds and heavy presses or 5/3/1 if you stop progressing with linear work. Can also switch Wed and Sat if you don't like actually getting up to go to the gym on Saturdays.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I'm gonna have to stop doing lifts so I can do pt test exercises for the next month :/

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

NTT posted:

I'm gonna have to stop doing lifts so I can do pt test exercises for the next month :/

I, too, have a test in about a month. Not gonna stop lifting, though. I will start running a little more, though. :(

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Well that was satisfying. After not lifting much at all while I was in, had my second week back in the gym doing deadlifts on Wednesday.

5@135, 5@225, 3@315 warm-up double overhand, last set felt light so I decided to try and find my current max. Last time I maxed was at 445 before I enlisted.

365 overhand, no problem. 385, same deal. 405 flew off the floor but I felt it slip a little getting it locked out, so switch to mixed and belted up. 425 went smooth, then 435, then 445. At this point I'm wondering if someone slipped something in my water bottle. I noticed a couple guys watching me rip this poo poo off the floor, now it seems like my side of the gym stops whenever I set up on the bar. 455 and I've officially surpassed my previous PR that happened after a year and a half of serious dedicated lifting, during my second session back. 465 is easy. I'm pretty sure people ten feet away can hear Till Lindermann screaming lyrics out of my earbuds. 475 and 485 go up with no hesitation, and I'm almost skipping along I'm so giddy as I grab another set of 45s to rack on. I can feel the bar shift the tiniest bit in my hands as it goes up, and I've got a couple chunks of skin torn on my fingers. gently caress it, 505 it is. The bar shifts a little more and I feel two callouses tear, but it comes up with only a little difficulty at the lockout.

Reracking that poo poo after doing nothing but deadlifts for like an hour and a half was loving terrible.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Making me feel scrub-tier trying to get my deadlift back over 300 since I pulled a muscle in my back this spring.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Internet Wizard posted:

Making me feel scrub-tier trying to get my deadlift back over 300 since I pulled a muscle in my back this spring.

If it makes you feel any better, my squat is loving embarrassing right now and I'm slowly working my way back up. Part of the problem is horrible inflexibility, I'm doing high bar and even with my baller Romaleos IIs I'm getting serious buttwink trying to hit rear end to grass.

I also fell down the stairs three times today after doing 3x5 high bar at the end of my chest/bis workout.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

[video type="youtube"][/video]

While I love how fat that belt makes me look, I should probably invest in a nice two prong leather dealie.

Diarrhea Elemental fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 24, 2017

Click Beelay
Oct 13, 2011

Looks too easy mate, half a plate up gogo.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

FOURTH WAVE LESBRO posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im76Q35rvUM

While I love how fat that belt makes me look, I should probably invest in a nice two prong leather dealie.

What the hell kind of gym are you at that they have linoleum tile for the flooring? They must be replacing that poo poo twice a year.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Click Beelay posted:

Looks too easy mate, half a plate up gogo.

Strange thing is that while my grip was flawless with 505, the weak point of that 515 was my right hand (underhand) slipping just about at the knee. I'm adding some more grip work to my next 5/3/1 cycle and I'll try it again in a month with maybe 545 or so.

Whip Slagcheek posted:

What the hell kind of gym are you at that they have linoleum tile for the flooring? They must be replacing that poo poo twice a year.

A YMCA. It's relatively new renovations so we'll see how long they last, I've been working on the gym manager to try and get a real deal platform and some 100lb plates but I'm one of maybe four people pulling over 400 and one of two over 500 so who knows how that'll go.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

FOURTH WAVE LESBRO posted:

A YMCA. It's relatively new renovations so we'll see how long they last, I've been working on the gym manager to try and get a real deal platform and some 100lb plates but I'm one of maybe four people pulling over 400 and one of two over 500 so who knows how that'll go.

Jesus christ, so it really is linoleum tile? I was hoping you were going to tell me it was just the lighting loving with me. Lifting on that would terrify me, especially in socks. There's no way you can get a firm foot placement on that.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Jesus christ, so it really is linoleum tile? I was hoping you were going to tell me it was just the lighting loving with me. Lifting on that would terrify me, especially in socks. There's no way you can get a firm foot placement on that.

It's not actually straight linoleum, it's some strange poo poo that has some give to it and isn't as slick as that.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

A lot of gyms that cater to an older crowd (or non-weightlifting female crowd, if we're being honest) won't do real gym flooring or platforms because they think they're intimidating and it spooks people that aren't accustomed to a gym. They're also terrified it'll draw in gym rats and bros that will slam weights. When I was a manager at a small gym I had to beg and plead with the owner to get rubber flooring put down so we weren't constantly having flooring replaced and listening to loud rear end clanging.

Whip Slagcheek fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 19, 2015

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
yeah it sucks, but the weak rear end peasant lifters are the ones that bring in the money. Those strength training gyms usually don't last unless they're located in a heavily populated area. (more muscle density per capita).

speaking of weak, there's a midwest version of planet fitness out here called "Blue Moon Fitness". No you can't drink blue moon while lifting, which is dumb because at least once I month I lift while drunk.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

elite_garbage_man posted:

yeah it sucks, but the weak rear end peasant lifters are the ones that bring in the money. Those strength training gyms usually don't last unless they're located in a heavily populated area. (more muscle density per capita).

speaking of weak, there's a midwest version of planet fitness out here called "Blue Moon Fitness". No you can't drink blue moon while lifting, which is dumb because at least once I month I lift while drunk.

The good and bad thing is the Y is like a five minute walk from my place, so it's easier for now to just say gently caress it and live with the less than optimal setup while the peasants stare in awe. Best believe a home setup is a budgeted item after I get a house though, right below a kegerator.

Thinking texas bar, 6 100lb plates plus the full 45/35/etc incrementals, oly db handles with small diameter plates to load up to 200+, power rack with pull-up/chins and dip bars, claymore for t-bar rows, cheap or DIY GHR and lifting platform, couple sets of bands, maybe a Concept2 rower, and of course a chalk stand.

:fap:

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I can't get into having a home set up. There's something about leaving the house and stepping into the gym that's really stress relieving while at the same time getting me focused on what I'm there to do.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I'm also using a local Y for my lifting. They've got a crossfit room with rubber flooring and a bunch of bumper plates (no 100s, but about 18 45s) and squat racks. It's basically empty except for their dumb classes they do once a day.

Still, a home gym would be so nice... my wife and I have decided it's a priority in our next place, so hopefully in a few months I can start getting stuff for it. Anyone have suggestions on specific racks/bars/plates/benches? I haven't started pricing poo poo out or doing review research yet.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I can't get into having a home set up. There's something about leaving the house and stepping into the gym that's really stress relieving while at the same time getting me focused on what I'm there to do.

There is something to be said for having that separation between "home" and "gym", whether it's psychological or actually physical. For what it's worth my idea is to just throw a shed up and run a tap off the house power to it, that way you have a discrete space removed from where you live and relax. Throw a couple space heaters in for winter, speakers and a sub to blast angry music, have a timer switch next to the back door so you can get the bitch warming up in the winter before you head out there.

Aranan posted:

Anyone have suggestions on specific racks/bars/plates/benches? I haven't started pricing poo poo out or doing review research yet.

Weights I'd try to get local if at all possible, unless we're talking about competition bumpers a plate is a plate. Bar depends on what kind of poo poo you're into, how advanced you are with lifting, how much you want to spend, etc. You could just get a beater bar for under $200 or drop more for a solid oly bar with some whip or Texas bar for more powerlifting-oriented poo poo. Google power racks and check out all the top online retailers, between Rogue/EliteFTS/MuscleDriver/etc you should be able to figure out something that'll last and doesn't cost a kidney. Personal advice is grab one that either has or you can add on stuff like dip bars, place for pull-ups, weight racks, stuff like that. Lastly, never go cheap on a bench. Seriously, it's loving terrible.

Diarrhea Elemental fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010

Whip Slagcheek posted:

plus you don't have to clean up sweat soaked floors

that alone makes the membership worth it to me because I'm lazy as gently caress

and where am i going to put my huge rear end model train set? go gently caress yourself, home gym