Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That's just Cable in Loki's helmet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

And yet people still love the look for some reason. It really didn't go far enough in the "making fun of 90s design trends" department. loving Golden Calf.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

:arghfist::saddowns: Don't remind me of JL:GL. We missed out on a great JLI relaunch because of the stupid reboot.
:arghfist::saddowns::hf::arghfist::saddowns:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

We had to wait a couple years, but...

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 19, 2015

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I thought Booster Gold was perma-dead? (as much as anyone ever is in comics, anyway)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I thought Booster Gold was perma-dead? (as much as anyone ever is in comics, anyway)

JL3K is in a Giffen/DeMatteis-verse which I'm pretty sure skips over anything past I Can't Believe It's Not the Justice League.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 19, 2015

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

That's just Cable in Loki's helmet!

Yeah, I think that was the joke.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Huh. Didn't know about that.

NorgLyle posted:

He was literally the only Kingdom Come insert I didn't hate just for the way he was used in Generation Lost.

Magog is weird in that he's one of my favorite things about Kingdom Come, but putting him in DC proper meant having to have him exist as the piece of poo poo anti-hero who would go on to one day realize he's a piece of poo poo in the worst way. I read his ongoing regardless.

Does someone have the panels of his breakdown from Kingdom Come #2? I loved that scene.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Yeah, I was one of those guys crazy about Kingdom Come at the time it came out, and read all kinds of ephemera about it. Magog was very much designed to be as stupid-leifield as they could as a very clear commentary on comics in the 90s*. I love how he has so many pouches despite not ever using any equipment other than his energy staff. But I think I love even more all the weird and silly background characters infest the book, such as Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Transformers, or The Monkees from the episode they became superheroes. Though Thor and Spider-Man appearing in one group panel's pretty funny too.

(*I'm aware that the overbloating & dumb grimdark problems of the 90s is the whole point of the book)

Igiari
Sep 14, 2007
Just checking in to say I bought Ms Marvel on the strength of some panels here and it is good, and I am happy. Thanks thread.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Gavok posted:

Does someone have the panels of his breakdown from Kingdom Come #2? I loved that scene.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I still remember as a kid reading KC for the first time and the line "And one woman." knocking me flat.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

redbackground posted:

I still remember as a kid reading KC for the first time and the line "And one woman." knocking me flat.

Oh wow it just hit me. I always thought he was just being nit picky to show he remembered.

gently caress.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Gavok posted:

One of my favorite touches in KC is how in the final battle, Magog is in the background, and every time you see him he's not fighting, he's doing everything he can to protect injured people and get them out of the combat zone. He's genuinely repentant.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

mind the walrus posted:

And yet people still love the look for some reason. It really didn't go far enough in the "making fun of 90s design trends" department. loving Golden Calf.

Wasn't it the case that even his creators ended up liking him and his look despite themselves?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Does anyone else find it a little ironic that they fridged Lois?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Lois is Superman's second strongest anchor to humanity (first is his parents). In any story where you explore his alienation from normal people, she has to be gone, probably traumatically.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Ignite Memories posted:

...What's ironic here?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Just that Kingdom Come is a critique of the grim gritty superhero comics from the 90s, and to tell the story they had to kill lois off-panel to raise the stakes.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I think it is deeper than the typical implications of "fridging", but sure it has some of the bad implications of that, too.

I never caught that about that scene. poo poo. I always expect to go back to KC and feel like it aged poorly, but it still has a lot of weight and kinda gets better over time for me.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ignite Memories posted:

Just that Kingdom Come is a critique of the grim gritty superhero comics from the 90s, and to tell the story they had to kill lois off-panel to raise the stakes.

It was sort of important as it was to remove Superman from his human connection. It also says a lot about him as he still does not kill even after Lois dies.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
What was the deal with Gog? I remember specifically a guy who looked like Magog, but was called Gog, and he found a baby and there was a line specifically like 'As i am Gog, you will be my Magog'. I think the story was about Gog killing every multiverse version of Superman.

I was confused because I didn't know if it was supposed to be a KC prequel story or what.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

What was the deal with Gog? I remember specifically a guy who looked like Magog, but was called Gog, and he found a baby and there was a line specifically like 'As i am Gog, you will be my Magog'. I think the story was about Gog killing every multiverse version of Superman.

I was confused because I didn't know if it was supposed to be a KC prequel story or what.

It was the sequel and it was not that good. Here is Impulse 24

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

bobkatt013 posted:

:pwn:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

We had to wait a couple years, but...

Which is pretty good, but I really liked where Winick was going with the rebuilt JLI pre-reboot. Great line-up, a nice balance of banter and serious action, and Booster getting to come into his own.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bobkatt013 posted:

Even Mega Man is like "wow, do you need that much boot?"

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Waids Impulse is some of my favorite comics. The art fit the tone of the book really well.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I don't know much about Kingdom Come (or DC for that matter), so the implication is that the Joker killed Lois Lane? Isn't that also the setup for Injustice? Only Supes does straight up punch the heart out of the Joker there?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

VagueRant posted:

I don't know much about Kingdom Come (or DC for that matter), so the implication is that the Joker killed Lois Lane? Isn't that also the setup for Injustice? Only Supes does straight up punch the heart out of the Joker there?
Uh, yes. And yes kind of, but KC is from twenty years ago.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 19, 2015

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

VagueRant posted:

The main difference in the setup between the two, as far as I can tell (having read KC a few years back but not Injustice) is that in KC, the Joker himself killed Lois in the backstory, whereas in Injustice, the Joker basically tricks Superman into killing Lois (who was also pregnant at the time).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

In Injustice, Joker tricked Superman into killing her himself, and she was pregnant. And if that wasn't enough, he put a detonator in her heart so that Metropolis would explode when it stopped.

Slightly more traumatic. There's more personal reasons for why Superman snapped in that universe, but the triggering event was a lot more brutal.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Hahah wait what? How did he trick superman into killing lois?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ignite Memories posted:

Hahah wait what? How did he trick superman into killing lois?

Combination of kryptonite and Scarecrow's fear toxin made Supes hallucinate that Lois was Doomsday.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

In Injustice, Joker tricked Superman into killing her himself, and she was pregnant. And if that wasn't enough, he put a detonator in her heart so that Metropolis would explode when it stopped.

Slightly more traumatic. There's more personal reasons for why Superman snapped in that universe, but the triggering event was a lot more brutal.

To add to that, Kingdom Come Superman didn't get a chance to confront the Joker. Magog took that option out of his hands.

Though KC Superman did have a full-on violent breakdown later where he was fully prepared to murder the entire UN in a fit of rage, so he wasn't above such reactions.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Superman and murder is pretty common

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Superman and murder is pretty common

Is he, Lois? IS HE?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ignite Memories posted:

That's kind of the point of her death, things had to progress to that horror of a future and that's only accomplished if there's no Superman.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

He was the baddy in the less-well-received KC sequel. The baby was Clark and Diana's and there was temporal fuckery that led to it becoming Magog or Gog or both and finding Superman and killing him every day from the future back to the end of KC or something.

It was not a good book. But it did have a minotaur killing Green Lantern's space fortress with a wooden broadsword, which was cool.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ignite Memories posted:

It totally is.

thespaceinvader posted:

But it did have a minotaur killing Green Lantern's space fortress with a wooden broadsword, which was cool.

I would really like to see this. Was it a space-minotaur?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Kingdom Come is still one of my favorite comics, although over the years I've come to loathe how they resolved the plot by just killing off 99% of the metahuman population, just feels lazy to me, not to mention makes the whole "Resolving The Tensions Between Metahuman and Normal Humans" aspect of the ending feel really hollow, cause that becomes pretty easy to resolve when there's only about a dozen of them left