Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
This made me look twice

I guess they didn't run that past marketing before giving the go ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

gay picnic defence posted:

This made me look twice

I guess they didn't run that past marketing before giving the go ahead.

You see what you want to see and I see a nice rear end butt plug.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

You see what you want to see and I see a nice rear end butt plug.

The stuff with the hooks is too advanced for me.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Oxiclean pre-treat got the blood right out in addition to an older bloodstain that has been there for a year.

Also yes, that lure looks like a butt plug. I bought some 10" rubber shad lures and for about 5 seconds managed to convince my girlfriend they were scifi themed sex toys.

She was super not into it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

bunnielab posted:

Oxiclean pre-treat got the blood right out in addition to an older bloodstain that has been there for a year.

Also yes, that lure looks like a butt plug. I bought some 10" rubber shad lures and for about 5 seconds managed to convince my girlfriend they were scifi themed sex toys.

She was super not into it.

Sever.

Karthillion
Mar 18, 2006
Philanthropists Anonymous
Hydrogen Peroxide is the best thing for getting out blood. I get a lot of blood stains at work, it's saved me a lot of time, and money.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I took the kayak out yesterday to do a bit of bait collecting. The wind was up which made things a bit tricky, but I did end up with a couple of squid

Launched right on sunrise and tried to troll a couple of HBs but there was a heap of weed in the water and I gave up after a while.

It was a great way to spend the first day after exams, even if the conditions were far from ideal. The kayak handles the rough weather really well, and while I wouldn't intend to push it to it's limits it's reassuring to know that I won't be completely hosed if I get caught out in and unexpected wind change or something. I'd never caught a squid until today so it was good to get that out of the way too. I ate the bigger squid for dinner, the smaller one is bait for Sunday.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

A trigger! Where are you?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

It's probably pretty meaningless to US goons but that was at Cleeland Bight. It's the channel between Phillip Island and the mainland, about an hour and a half out of Melbourne.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

That's a cool looking trigger! All I've ever seen down here (South Florida) is the bland, grey ones that annoyingly steal your bait on the drop.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

We call them leatherjackets because the skin is rough. That one is a Six Spine Leatherjacket, but they can be even more colorful than that.

The smaller ones are prolific bait stealers and the larger ones can destroy your rigs. That fish I caught bit through one of the droppers on my rig without me noticing before getting hooked on the second bait.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

gay picnic defence posted:

We call them leatherjackets because the skin is rough. That one is a Six Spine Leatherjacket, but they can be even more colorful than that.

The smaller ones are prolific bait stealers and the larger ones can destroy your rigs. That fish I caught bit through one of the droppers on my rig without me noticing before getting hooked on the second bait.

Very neat. The ones down here are surprisingly aggressive. I had one small 8" one try to eat my 6 oz. vertical knife jig, which is a big piece of painted lead almost as long as the fish.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

My buddy speared a pair out of Pensacola with little trouble. They were delicious but a giant pain in the rear end to filet.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I don't fillet them, you just make a cut behind the head, rip the head off (the guts are attached to the head and come out too) and then peel the skin off the back half. Pan fry that with the bones still in it. If the one I caught was about 5cm longer I'd have kept it.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

We caught like 30 sharks in the past 2 weeks and I finally decided to cook one up. They are amazing table fare! Also they are fun fights on light tackle and shocking strong when you grab hold of one. These little ones almost got out of our hands a couple times.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Yeah, sharks taste pretty good. You just need to look after them or they'll taste of ammonia. I'm going after some gummy sharks tomorrow, hopefully I'll get a couple of larger ones and fill the freezer.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Sharks are pretty slow reproducers and very high on the food chain. I'd kinda limit them for consumption and just target them for recreation. They don't really hang in the same zones as most game fish in Half Moon Bay though.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

LingcodKilla posted:

Sharks are pretty slow reproducers and very high on the food chain. I'd kinda limit them for consumption and just target them for recreation. They don't really hang in the same zones as most game fish in Half Moon Bay though.

Atlantic sharpnose and bonnetheads are in no way rare. The day limit is one but I've literally kept one ever. I plan to take more as they are tasty and the lack of bones means I get twice as much (or more) meat then I'd get off a similarly sized snook or red, so I can limit my harvest of those even more. Currently I harvest a snook maybe once a year and probably a dozen reds during the same.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I've always figured that the recreational take of any given fish species is insignificant compared to the commercial harvesting (except for popular sport fishing species) so the fish I take home to eat aren't affecting the species in a meaningful way. For species endangered by fishing I'd say smaller commercial quotas are the first step, and if that isn't effective then stricter bag limits or closed seasons for recreational fishing are the next step.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I didn't say they were rare. They just aren't the fastest reproducers and gaining popular as a food item will make them crash faster than most fish. Toxics(especially mercury) build up at an alarming rate in long lived end predators and if all things are equal in taste and availability you should probably avoid them.

Just something to think about. Do what you want( within the law). I'm not trying to be preachy, just informative.

I'll add something for fun. If you are into spear fishing check out Jim Russell on YouTube. He's the Monterrey God of Skin Diving for fish.

He also managed to give himself Mercury poisoning by eating entirely too much. He wasn't even targeting a species known to have a high content of it. Full recovery as far as I know.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 17, 2015

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I got out for a few hours this morning with a friend of mine on the St. Croix River and targeted some lake sturgeon! He had over 250 pounds of fish in the boat the night before, so I had fairly high expectations(but I'm normally bad luck with him). We had a pretty good morning!

Started with a 42" sturgeon:

Followed it up with a 52":

And ended the day with a 28 pound flathead:

We had a smattering of 7-12 pound channel catfish in between, but these were definitely the picture worthy fish. Pretty good way to start the weekend.

DoctaFun fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 17, 2015

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Goddamn dude. Way to make man jealous.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Wow. Impressive.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Bloody hell, nice fish. Certainly makes my efforts today look pretty insignificant.
Eagle ray. I didn't land it, I can't think of many things I'd like to share the cramped kayak cockpit with less than 15kg of pissed off ray

The aftermath of another decent sized stingray:

Finally got a gummy shark but it was too small to keep, that was caught in a meter of water

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I went fishing today. There were a lot of (rowdy) trout that I'm sure were laughing at me, as this was my first time fly fishing. Unfortunately, I'm stuck on the bank because I don't have a kayak or waders yet. Any fly fisherman here? I didn't land any, but got a lone bluegill. The good news was that with the cooler temps and football Sunday, I had the Monocacy River (Western MD) all to myself:

I still need to get the hang of it, and look forward to doing this more. I did a little spin fishing too, but no luck with the smallmouth I was going after. Maybe it's getting too cold for anything other than trout, I dont know.

Random question: For catfish, I always used chicken livers. You sit them on the bottom and wait for them to be picked up What other baits or techniques to folks here use for channel cats?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Planet X posted:

I went fishing today. There were a lot of (rowdy) trout that I'm sure were laughing at me, as this was my first time fly fishing. Unfortunately, I'm stuck on the bank because I don't have a kayak or waders yet. Any fly fisherman here? I didn't land any, but got a lone bluegill. The good news was that with the cooler temps and football Sunday, I had the Monocacy River (Western MD) all to myself:

I still need to get the hang of it, and look forward to doing this more. I did a little spin fishing too, but no luck with the smallmouth I was going after. Maybe it's getting too cold for anything other than trout, I dont know.

Random question: For catfish, I always used chicken livers. You sit them on the bottom and wait for them to be picked up What other baits or techniques to folks here use for channel cats?

I've got them on Texas rigged worms. Not really expecting that but they did hit them. Also night crawlers of course.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Planet X posted:

I flyfish. And wet-wade. No waders. Check out the Shenandoah National Park if you're serious about fly fishing. Best wild brook trout fishing in the world, imho.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Thanks. Which part? I grew up in Central VA.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
How do you guys fishing on big water in kayaks launch? I've only been trying to do this since this summer on Lake Michigan, and have been unsuccessful but still had fun. However, even on calm days like yesterday, it was pretty tough to launch off the beach, with breaking waves over my head, and when I came back in I dumped. I'm in a lake kayak (16' long, about 1.5' wide) so I know it's a bit different than what you guys use, but still. Do you never go when there's even the slighest wind?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Once I'm clear of the breaking waves the ocean swell is usually fine, the peaks are far enough apart that they don't cause a problem so finding a sheltered place to launch from might solve your problem. Chop is different and where the waves are close together it can get uncomfortable. I don't go out unless the wind is less than 10 knots, and preferably under 5 knots. This is in a 4.5m (~15') long by 75cm (2.5') wide fishing kayak. It'll handle some pretty ugly conditions but when you have a $300 sounder and $400 worth of fishing gear it just isn't worth risking losing it just for a fish.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Stocked trout are kinda lame. I suspect there isnt enough oxygen in this dumb little pond for them.

Caught these two in like 15m, then a pile of kids showed up for a fishing birthday party. While I support this in theory, it kinda burned down the pond for the day. I gave the birthday boy the lure I was using as they all came loaded for bass.

I met some other guys trying to fish and tried to steer them to a smaller pond in the same park. They refused to believe that there were bass in there, so I told them to hold on a sec:

Caught this little guy on my second cast, a t-rigged swimbait does it every time. Walked back and showed them, they laughed and gave me a beer. There are bigger ones in the little pond but you have to work for them. They also gave me some pointers for catching in the large pond, which was great as I struggle there.

Then I went to another lovely little pond, this one is totally urbanized. It is kinda gross and crowded but I have caught some decent bass there before:

But I have seen some fuckin monsters swimming around so it keeps me coming back. This pond was also stocked with trout last week so it was a zoo. Assuming the madness would spook the big boys I went after trout again. I had a few big ones swipe at my lure but nothing stuck. I did manage to catch my first crappie:

With daylights savings happening my ability to sneak out of work and fish is going to be limited so I am trying to jam as much in this weekend as I can. Tomorrow I am trying for some shore based stripers and maybe some lingering perch.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
You really should invest in a damp cloth or a net or something.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I've always been told to hold fish horizontally under the belly, and that holding them vertically from the lip damages their organs. Unless that's just a saltwater thing due to the higher buoyancy making being out of the water even more stressful?

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Enigma posted:

I've always been told to hold fish horizontally under the belly, and that holding them vertically from the lip damages their organs. Unless that's just a saltwater thing due to the higher buoyancy making being out of the water even more stressful?

Very much a thing for freshwater fish and absolutely required for anything larger than a bass. Walleye, trout, pike, muskie, sturgeon should all be handled horizontally (and as little as possible for as short a time as possible if you are catch and release). One hand under the belly and one hand around the base of the tail.

Well with hunting season starting up soon i can report we had zero luck this fall for muskie and no pike worth mentioning either. Also, gently caress zebra mussels.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

It's really species by species. Lingcods and rockfish take no permanent damage being held by lips or by jaws with no support.

Someone said it destroys snooks though.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

coyo7e posted:

You really should invest in a damp cloth or a net or something.

Yea, I do need a net. I do dip my hand in the water before I grab them. I wasn't sure about lipping trout and after the pickerel unpleasantness I didn't just stick my thumb in there. The golden flipped free rot as I lifted him up, I have started de-barbing all my trebles and haven't gotten used to it yet. The crappie I did grab dry, mostly because a I didn't realize I had caught him until he was out of the water. No fight at all, thought I had snagged a leaf.

I was under the impression that sunfish/bass were supposed to be held by the lip if they were under three-ish pounds? A wet rag would be an easy solution but I have never found one that didn't grab fins or spines.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I went out for a bit more sturgeon fishing tonight and had a great night! In total we didn't catch a lot of fish, but I caught a new personal best sturgeon and flathead!

40", 30# flathead:

and 55" 31# sturgeon:

I think I will easily beat that sturgeon if I put enough time on the water, but that flathead could stick as a PB for awhile :).

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

DoctaFun posted:

I went out for a bit more sturgeon fishing tonight and had a great night! In total we didn't catch a lot of fish, but I caught a new personal best sturgeon and flathead!

40", 30# flathead:

and 55" 31# sturgeon:

I think I will easily beat that sturgeon if I put enough time on the water, but that flathead could stick as a PB for awhile :).

Beastly flatty dude. Very nice.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

jesus catfish look so loving disgusting. Like sea monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

lemonslol posted:

jesus catfish look so loving disgusting. Like sea monsters.

The first one I caught took me a moment to make myself grab it to dehook. They feel worse then they look.