Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

YF-23 posted:

It's no replacement for wartime gameplay, but it adds another dimension to the game so long as you are doing a multicultural empire, by allowing you to develop different culture provinces to the point where they become accepted and maintain them as such as you expand further. Otherwise, rather bland, but it is more than nice to have.

You should be looking into replacing Poland as an ally and getting in a fight with them. There's a good chance they'll rival you once their rival options are narrowed down, but even if they don't, you'll want to expand into Lithuania; I think Smolensk is one of the required provinces to form Russia, but even if it isn't obligatory you'll still want to go for it, for Ukraine, and so on and so forth.

It's not a requirement, but yeah, he should be looking to turn on Poland ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

YF-23 posted:

You should be looking into replacing Poland as an ally and getting in a fight with them. There's a good chance they'll rival you once their rival options are narrowed down, but even if they don't, you'll want to expand into Lithuania; I think Smolensk is one of the required provinces to form Russia, but even if it isn't obligatory you'll still want to go for it, for Ukraine, and so on and so forth.

Yes you're right, until now they made for a nice buffer against other Europeans and their troops helped quite a lot against Kazan/Timurids in the first war

Now that I've unlocked a few NIs, I think I can stand on my own, I'll make sure to sucker punch them at the right time :v: who could I be allying to help against them? Sweden or Hungary maybe? Can't remember who are their rivals.

Also I have all that I need for forming Russia, just waiting for ADM10.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Node posted:

That's kinda bullshit. Yeah it coincides with the "The Crusades ended after 1650" but geez, if the Knights Templar are still around in 1650, they should be able to form the Kingdom of Jerusalem.

It would be cool if as long as a monastic state or crusader state controls the Papacy, Crusade is still available after 1650.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

TorakFade posted:

Yes you're right, until now they made for a nice buffer against other Europeans and their troops helped quite a lot against Kazan/Timurids in the first war

Now that I've unlocked a few NIs, I think I can stand on my own, I'll make sure to sucker punch them at the right time :v: who could I be allying to help against them? Sweden or Hungary maybe? Can't remember who are their rivals.

Preferably Sweden and Austria. Hungary is nice, but not nearly as strong as those other two. I'd even be temped to ally with the Livonians and use them to soften P-L up a bit before you attack them.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

PittTheElder posted:

It's not a requirement, but yeah, he should be looking to turn on Poland ASAP.

Thanks, I couldn't remember if Smolensk was a hard requirement or if it was in one of those paired provinces where you only need one of to meet it.

TorakFade posted:

To be honest I'm not really sure there's any good friends to make against Poland-Lithuania. Bohemia if they are around, Austria if they've put Bohemia under a PU, maybe. Sweden might be helpful but they might very well be a target to expand into as well. Ottomans might be the strongest possible ally but it's very doubtful they'll like you at all.

You have a good advantage in that it'll be easier for you to concentrate your forces on your border with Lithuania than it will be for Poland and their allies to do the same. If you're able to swat away enemy armies you'll be able to win enough time to make and consolidate gains. The biggest trouble might might have is if Poland themselves have powerful allies behind them, like an Austria that is Emperor. If they manage to put together a strong force on the ground that they are able to push you back without you being able to do the same, you'll be in trouble.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
For Russia, lots of the Lithuanian land is nice because you have a cultural union with much of it, and at the start of the game they're Orthodox provinces too. Gobble those up.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

popewiles posted:

What were you expecting from the development system?

Something more engaging than clicking a button every few months, I guess.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Back on the Paradox forums, the Turks continue to be butthurt, even after Wiz points out the Ottomans are pretty much the most powerful nation in the game.

quote:

The game start from 1444 and ends in 1821 there is lots of big events in world history in this time period to be theme of the dlc yet paradox chooses the cossacks letter to sultan murad iv. I am pretty sure that 4-5 weeks ago in their office some of the guys of paradox found that letter on wiki and decide to create a dlc to mock with turks in not directly harsh way. Because they know everyone who saw the trailer will search for it on google and laugh their asses when they read the original.

Ill give easy solution to paradox here
just remove ottomans from game and give their provinces to byzantium and other minor states.
at least stop present turks like piece of sh*t in your games.

quote:

Just saying, this is very racist way to do marketing about your new expansion. I played almost every grand strategy game you made however I will stop buying Paradox games from now on. I am very disappointed. I don't care what other people think about my point of view but I think you will lose a lot of potential Turkish customers. Farewell

edit: then there is the endless bickering about what country the Cossacks came from. The mods had to come in on that point.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Node posted:

That's kinda bullshit. Yeah it coincides with the "The Crusades ended after 1650" but geez, if the Knights Templar are still around in 1650, they should be able to form the Kingdom of Jerusalem.

The Knights Hospitaller held out until 1798, when Napoleon evicted them from Malta.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

YF-23 posted:

Thanks, I couldn't remember if Smolensk was a hard requirement or if it was in one of those paired provinces where you only need one of to meet it.

To be honest I'm not really sure there's any good friends to make against Poland-Lithuania. Bohemia if they are around, Austria if they've put Bohemia under a PU, maybe. Sweden might be helpful but they might very well be a target to expand into as well. Ottomans might be the strongest possible ally but it's very doubtful they'll like you at all.

You have a good advantage in that it'll be easier for you to concentrate your forces on your border with Lithuania than it will be for Poland and their allies to do the same. If you're able to swat away enemy armies you'll be able to win enough time to make and consolidate gains. The biggest trouble might might have is if Poland themselves have powerful allies behind them, like an Austria that is Emperor. If they manage to put together a strong force on the ground that they are able to push you back without you being able to do the same, you'll be in trouble.

Back in EU3 it was a requirement to own either Smolensk or Chernigov, meaning you had to beat Lithuania to form Russia. But I think that was dropped with the transition to EU4.

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Nothing would go right until we had a dictator, and the sooner the better.
So is there a way to grant yourself an electorate if your the emperor of the HRE?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

YF-23 posted:

It's no replacement for wartime gameplay, but it adds another dimension to the game so long as you are doing a multicultural empire, by allowing you to develop different culture provinces to the point where they become accepted and maintain them as such as you expand further. Otherwise, rather bland, but it is more than nice to have.
Also, seeing the city graphics on the map get bigger makes me happy for a reason I cannot express in words.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

T___A posted:

So is there a way to grant yourself an electorate if your the emperor of the HRE?

I don't think so. If you are lucky and get a PU over an elector and inherit them you will inherit the elector slot.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Is there a known issue with AI attrition right now or am I missing something?

I was being attacked by the Spanish/Aragon/Portugal alliance as France around 1480, and they had something like 52,000 troops besieging a mountain province with barely any supply base in the winter and they not only weren't taking any losses that I could see (manpower or otherwise) they were actually reinforcing. This went on for month after month after month, army growing larger despite the tooltip saying they should be taking ~3% attrition.

:confused:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Fintilgin posted:

Is there a known issue with AI attrition right now or am I missing something?

I was being attacked by the Spanish/Aragon/Portugal alliance as France around 1480, and they had something like 52,000 troops besieging a mountain province with barely any supply base in the winter and they not only weren't taking any losses that I could see (manpower or otherwise) they were actually reinforcing. This went on for month after month after month, army growing larger despite the tooltip saying they should be taking ~3% attrition.

:confused:

It's not a bug that's intended. I forget the exact mechanics but AI takes way less attrition than a player would for having a whole bunch of stacks piled onto one province.

It's a handicap because the AI can be pretty stupid about balling their entire allied armies onto one siege.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

Back in EU3 it was a requirement to own either Smolensk or Chernigov, meaning you had to beat Lithuania to form Russia. But I think that was dropped with the transition to EU4.

I think it was still around in early EU4 patches but got removed with an expansion. Doesn't matter much because you want every province from your culture group anyway, there's a lot of nice 10+ development provinces in there.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Pellisworth posted:

It's not a bug that's intended. I forget the exact mechanics but AI takes way less attrition than a player would for having a whole bunch of stacks piled onto one province.

It's a handicap because the AI can be pretty stupid about balling their entire allied armies onto one siege.

AI forces ignore any troops other than their own when calculating attrition, so 4 different countries with 10k stacks in 1 province still only suffers attrition as 10k troops.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well that explains the trouble I was having with France + allies sieging the mountains on the Spanish border with 100k doom stacks and yet always seeming to have manpower left over afterwards.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

RabidWeasel posted:

AI forces ignore any troops other than their own when calculating attrition, so 4 different countries with 10k stacks in 1 province still only suffers attrition as 10k troops.

This was a bug several patches ago, no longer the case.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Wiz posted:

I'll take your word for it, but I must be missing something funny then, because they stay there from like September to May in this crappy mountain province, supposedly taking 2 to 3% attrition the whole time, but actually reinforcing and getting bigger each month. :confused:

Wish I'd saved a save.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Fintilgin posted:

I'll take your word for it, but I must be missing something funny then, because they stay there from like September to May in this crappy mountain province, supposedly taking 2 to 3% attrition the whole time, but actually reinforcing and getting bigger each month. :confused:

Wish I'd saved a save.

Armies will still reinforce even in enemy territory while sieging and taking attrition. As long as their reinforcement rate is higher than the attrition they eat per month they will reinforce while sieging. In effect what that does is damage their manpower pool, but even then, there is a decent chance they'll be using Mercenaries, which I believe have an infinite manpower pool. Generally, attrition will only cut down on the size of regular regiments if their country's manpower pool has been depleted. But AIs will go hog wild building up mercenary regiments when their manpower is out so that is only of great effect on the battlefield if you are fighting a country that cannot quickly replace its losses with mercenaries.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

Wish I'd saved a save.

In your own territory you reinforce at a rate of 10%/month and even in enemy land you reinforce with 5%(+1% per leader maneuver). That they still reinforce if they take 3% attrition is normal.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Sorced posted:

In your own territory you reinforce at a rate of 10%/month and even in enemy land you reinforce with 5%(+1% per leader maneuver). That they still reinforce if they take 3% attrition is normal.

Huh. I guess I didn't realize the reinforcement rate was so high.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

It took me an embarrassingly long amount of time to realize that my armies could take attrition while reinforcing in my own territory at peacetime. Hundreds of thousands died due to my own negligence.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

FadingChord posted:

It took me an embarrassingly long amount of time to realize that my armies could take attrition while reinforcing in my own territory at peacetime. Hundreds of thousands died due to my own negligence.

:ussr:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Wiz posted:

Cool, I assumed it was intended because it seemed like AIs always jammed all their units into one ludicrously massive siege.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

FadingChord posted:

Surely most of them just desert?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Redmark posted:

Surely most of them just desert?

No, they die of frost bite and malnutrition, a horrible way to die.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Tsyni posted:

No, they die of frost bite and malnutrition, a horrible way to die.

Some die of dysentery! That's where you poo poo yourself to death.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Ok, going for the following achievements.

Master of India
At Every Continent
Definitely the Sultan of Rum
That's a Silk Road
Over a Thousand
All Your Trade are Belong to Us

Think I can get them all in one run? Here's my start so far.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

deathbagel posted:

Master of India
At Every Continent
Definitely the Sultan of Rum
That's a Silk Road
Over a Thousand
All Your Trade are Belong to Us

Think I can get them all in one run? Here's my start so far.

You can also probably get
Four for Trade
Market Control
Total Control
Trade Hegemon
The Rising Sun

if you westernize and conquer all of India, then use it as a stepping stone to conquer Asia. Admin ideas + millets + admin efficiency means you can pretty much always conquer all of Asia.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012
anyone got a good starting strategy for Aztec? I find it pretty difficult to wage war after Common Sense as it is very difficult for me to form alliances. I normally start normal and make an alliance with Itza, then wait until everyone declares war with each other (Itza will declare war to Zapotec) and I will join and try to get something out of that war. But as the months pass, doom increases and it's very difficult to declare war to someone without them dragging their other 2 allies and stomping me :(

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

deathbagel posted:

Think I can get them all in one run?

Yes.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Dibujante posted:

You can also probably get
Four for Trade
Market Control
Total Control
Trade Hegemon
The Rising Sun

if you westernize and conquer all of India, then use it as a stepping stone to conquer Asia. Admin ideas + millets + admin efficiency means you can pretty much always conquer all of Asia.

I already control Wien and it's down to around 3 separatism. In a few years I should be able to westernize using the Western Focus decision.

I have Market Control and Total Control already, but the others you mentioned might very well be doable also, I'll add them to the list!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

You should get A Decent Reserve too, assuming you've taken Quantity ideas (I'm sure you probably have by now).

All Your Trade Are Belong to Us would be pretty easy too, because you'll probably conquer Italy anyway, and you can use your huge force limits to spam light ships to control the English Channel for a month or two.

e: Well that certainly is an interesting set of idea picks. I don't know why you'd go Diplomatic first.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 20, 2015

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

You should get A Decent Reserve too, assuming you've taken Quantity ideas (I'm sure you probably have by now).

All Your Trade Are Belong to Us would be pretty easy too, because you'll probably conquer Italy anyway, and you can use your huge force limits to spam light ships to control the English Channel for a month or two.

I haven't taken quantity, I haven't needed it. I have almost 200k manpower already without it. I might just hit a million without it once I take over all of Asia. If not, I can get it at the end to boost me over. All Your Trade Are Belong to Us was on my list. I plan on just taking out England too, for funsies, because I hate England due to my penchant for playing Denmark, Sweden and Norway games.

My idea groups so far are Diplomatic, Humanist and, against popular choice, Aristocratic.

I love having 4 generals without penalty and 5 Diplomats though.

deathbagel fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 20, 2015

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
The Ottomans were my third playthrough of this game, way, way before Common Sense, Western Focus, etc. I got the Silk Road achievement with them, and I'm tempted to try Over 1000 now since I know a bit more about the game. I'm never even going to attempt a WC in this game.

I'm thinking my idea order should be something like Humanist -> Influence -> Admin (just up to Adaptability) -> Offensive/Defensive -> it doesn't matter by this point. And take Wien as soon as I can for Western Focus. Block off India and Africa to core provinces there on the cheap. Is that pretty much a surefire way of going about it?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Node posted:

I'm thinking my idea order should be something like Humanist -> Influence -> Admin (just up to Adaptability) -> Offensive/Defensive -> it doesn't matter by this point. And take Wien as soon as I can for Western Focus. Block off India and Africa to core provinces there on the cheap. Is that pretty much a surefire way of going about it?

I'd say take Quantity rather than Off/Def, purely for convenience reasons. Just makes it easier to spam armies for faster conquests and easier rebel suppression.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

I'd say take Quantity rather than Off/Def, purely for convenience reasons. Just makes it easier to spam armies for faster conquests and easier rebel suppression.

All armies can be all mercs all the time if you're Ottoman WCing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Dibujante posted:

All armies can be all mercs all the time if you're Ottoman WCing.

This is pretty much true, all of my infantry are mercs. My manpower really only gets hurt during really huge coalition wars. I just got done fighting 2 in a row and still have 89k out of my 244k (just looked up the actual numbers.)

• Locked thread