Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Taffer posted:

That whole drama thing has pretty much died down. FTB is just a worse launcher though, I wish that stuff would show up on Technic.

Otoh, no matter how I download a pack I always just end up putting it in multimc anyway.

Thankfully. It only flares up on rare occasions now. But heaven forbid you release something popular on Platform, do a video series, and forget to shut off comments. Or worse, adapt something for use on Platform and have an identifiable presence on social media. You wind up spending more time playing whack-a-mole with 'the community' than you do actually maintaining the thing you want to play and share.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Can someone give me a hint about the quest gating in regrowth? When does thaumcraft get unlocked?

I've just made the strong infusion stone and need to get redstone and gem seeds, and am poking at some of the different quest lines. I REALLY do not like mariculture; the ocean is dumb the Blacksmith's XXXX is dumb, everything is dumb - is there anything gated behind it? Can I just ignore it? Same with railcraft. I have zero interest in that, I hope I can just skip it. I've also skipped bees and fish, FTR.

I really liked the agricraft stuff and the magic seeds as a mining alternative, the drawers are beyond awesome after I cheated in a controller and key, tcon is whatever, botania is cool but I did that in blightfall already; honestly I'm not liking any of the other mods so far in this pack. About to start on witchery, though! Maybe that's cool.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 19, 2015

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Nothing's particularly gated behind Mariculture. There's a metal on the final tier of the infusion stone that requires a little magnesium to produce an ingot for advanced machinery but that can be done with whatever the Mariculture's cauldron thingy is (prolly the least bullshit 'machine' now that I think about it) and the mixing in a Tinker's smeltery instead of the Mariculture smeltery bullshit. Railcraft uh...the engines and the boilers are about as far as I got and that was for generating RF.

Witchery's p. :coal: though. Regrowth is the only pack that I delved into that mod.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Bhodi posted:

I really liked the agricraft stuff and the magic seeds as a mining alternative, the drawers are beyond awesome after I cheated in a controller and key, tcon is whatever, botania is cool but I did that in blightfall already; honestly I'm not liking any of the other mods so far in this pack. About to start on witchery, though! Maybe that's cool.

Witchery is fun with a capital F. Some of it is confusing, some of it is tedious, but most of it is built around doing things which are cool to look at, do cool things, or can troll the hell out of other players if you use it in a server setting.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So having played more, Banished is pretty cool, and gifting spells to the player as quest rewards is a brilliant idea and the whole pack makes the oft-ignored and frequently buggy Ars Magica 2 an actually useful part of the progression. That said, you can probably turn off the EpicSiegeMod that causes enemies to burrow through stone and explode all over poo poo, because I didn't feel like hiding my chests on the ceiling really added anything to the pack, and forcing me to build with obsidian wasn't particularly fun. You don't really lose anything for the pack.
The game also uses a new version of Equivalent Exchange that finally has the transmutation tablet, instead of ProjectE, which is way harder to use and much slower/glitchier, but whatever.

Also Aura Cascade has been growing on me a little bit, to be honest, especially with its various invulnerability amulets and some of the cooler machines.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

So having played more, Banished is pretty cool, and gifting spells to the player as quest rewards is a brilliant idea and the whole pack makes the oft-ignored and frequently buggy Ars Magica 2 an actually useful part of the progression. That said, you can probably turn off the EpicSiegeMod that causes enemies to burrow through stone and explode all over poo poo, because I didn't feel like hiding my chests on the ceiling really added anything to the pack, and forcing me to build with obsidian wasn't particularly fun. You don't really lose anything for the pack.
The game also uses a new version of Equivalent Exchange that finally has the transmutation tablet, instead of ProjectE, which is way harder to use and much slower/glitchier, but whatever.

Also Aura Cascade has been growing on me a little bit, to be honest, especially with its various invulnerability amulets and some of the cooler machines.

If you gently caress around with the config for Utility Mobs, you can add everything in Banished to their targets list, then put half a dozen sniper turrets in your base, upgrade them with slime balls, and never worry about enemies again because they'll basically root it to the floor a million miles away from you and refuse to let it come near you while they slowly devour it.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Magres posted:

If you gently caress around with the config for Utility Mobs, you can add everything in Banished to their targets list, then put half a dozen sniper turrets in your base, upgrade them with slime balls, and never worry about enemies again because they'll basically root it to the floor a million miles away from you and refuse to let it come near you while they slowly devour it.

Oh hey I didn't know about the slime ball upgrade. That makes turrets a lot more useful.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Glory of Arioch posted:

Check and make sure your windows 7 system has 64 bit java installed and that the launcher is allowed to use at least 2 gigs of RAM.

Yup. Other FTB packs like ME^3 work fine, and I have 3 GB allocated.

Launcher log (the end part when I launch Refuge):
code:
[22:39:26] [INFO] MCInstaller.launchMinecraft:328: Setting up native libraries for Refuge v Recommended Version MC 1.7.10
[22:39:26] [DEBUG] MCInstaller.launchMinecraft:354: packbaseJSON 1.7.10
[22:39:28] [INFO] MCLauncher.syncAssets:286: Syncing Assets:
[22:39:28] [INFO] MCLauncher.launchMinecraft:86: Java Path: C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_60\bin\javaw.exe
[22:39:28] [INFO] MCLauncher.launchMinecraft:87: Pack: Refuge 1.7.10
[22:39:28] [INFO] MCLauncher.setMemory:269: Setting MinMemory to 256
[22:39:28] [INFO] MCLauncher.setMemory:271: Setting MaxMemory to 3072
[22:39:28] [INFO] MCLauncher.launchMinecraft:150: Adding Optimization Arguments: -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CICompilerCountPerCPU -XX:+TieredCompilation
[22:39:28] [DEBUG] MCInstaller.launchMinecraft:428: MC PID: 6284
[22:39:30] [DEBUG] Benchmark.logBenchAs:73: UnreadNews Init took 59 ms.
[22:39:33] [INFO] ProcessMonitor.run:43: MC process exited. return value: 0
Minecraft crash log (in its entirety):
code:
[22:39:32] [main/INFO]: Loading tweak class name cpw.mods.fml.common.launcher.FMLTweaker
[22:39:33] [main/ERROR]: Unable to launch
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: cpw.mods.fml.common.launcher.FMLTweaker
	at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_60]
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_60]
	at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_60]
	at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.LaunchClassLoader.findClass(LaunchClassLoader.java:106) ~[launchwrapper-1.11.jar:?]
	at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method) ~[?:1.8.0_60]
	at java.lang.Class.forName(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_60]
	at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:98) [launchwrapper-1.11.jar:?]
	at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:28) [launchwrapper-1.11.jar:?]

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Beekeeping and You posted:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5Fvpm7g4L9JRlJ1ZkFqTlpQWFk/view?usp=sharing Here you are! I tried pasting it directly into googledocs, but it was so slow it froze my entire browser.

I did not have any anvils lying around; I'd just placed a tree planter because I wanted a shitton of charcoal for a nuclear reactor.

Is this a new log? The error profile is completely different.

The good news is that's it's much more illuminating! Some Galacticraft block is angry at you:

code:
Time: 10/18/15 6:01 PM
Description: Ticking entity

java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 0
	at net.minecraft.server.management.ServerConfigurationManager.func_152596_g(ServerConfigurationManager.java:717)
	at cofh.mod.updater.UpdateManager.tickStart(UpdateManager.java:82)
	at cpw.mods.fml.common.eventhandler.ASMEventHandler_14_UpdateManager_tickStart_PlayerTickEvent.invoke(.dynamic)
	at cpw.mods.fml.common.eventhandler.ASMEventHandler.invoke(ASMEventHandler.java:54)
	at cpw.mods.fml.common.eventhandler.EventBus.post(EventBus.java:138)
	at cpw.mods.fml.common.FMLCommonHandler.onPlayerPreTick(FMLCommonHandler.java:345)
	at net.minecraft.entity.player.EntityPlayer.func_70071_h_(EntityPlayer.java:220)
	at net.minecraft.client.entity.EntityClientPlayerMP.func_70071_h_(SourceFile:63)
	at micdoodle8.mods.galacticraft.core.entities.player.GCEntityClientPlayerMP.func_70071_h_(GCEntityClientPlayerMP.java:62)
	at net.minecraft.world.World.func_72866_a(World.java:2070)
	at net.minecraft.world.World.func_72870_g(World.java:2034)
	at net.minecraft.world.World.func_72939_s(World.java:1887)
	at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_71407_l(Minecraft.java:2006)
	at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_71411_J(Minecraft.java:973)
	at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_99999_d(Minecraft.java:898)
	at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(SourceFile:148)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:135)
	at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:28)

A detailed walkthrough of the error, its code path and all known details is as follows:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- Head --
Stacktrace:
	at net.minecraft.server.management.ServerConfigurationManager.func_152596_g(ServerConfigurationManager.java:717)
	at cpw.mods.fml.common.eventhandler.ASMEventHandler_14_UpdateManager_tickStart_PlayerTickEvent.invoke(.dynamic)
	at cpw.mods.fml.common.eventhandler.ASMEventHandler.invoke(ASMEventHandler.java:54)
	at cpw.mods.fml.common.FMLCommonHandler.onPlayerPreTick(FMLCommonHandler.java:345)
	at net.minecraft.entity.player.EntityPlayer.func_70071_h_(EntityPlayer.java:220)
	at net.minecraft.client.entity.EntityClientPlayerMP.func_70071_h_(SourceFile:63)
	at micdoodle8.mods.galacticraft.core.entities.player.GCEntityClientPlayerMP.func_70071_h_(GCEntityClientPlayerMP.java:62)

-- Entity being ticked --
Details:
	Entity Type: null (micdoodle8.mods.galacticraft.core.entities.player.GCEntityClientPlayerMP)
	Entity ID: 378
	Entity Name: Yoshi6441
	Entity's Exact location: -323.47, 119.62, 426.07
	Entity's Block location: World: (-324,119,426), Chunk: (at 12,7,10 in -21,26; contains blocks -336,0,416 to -321,255,431), Region: (-1,0; contains chunks -32,0 to -1,31, blocks -512,0,0 to -1,255,511)
	Entity's Momentum: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
Stacktrace:
So something at (-324, 119, 426) crapped out. I am assuming the overworld. Does that area sound like an overworld place you were messing around?

So first, back up that world! Then you can go mug it.

First, if you are enterprising, replace Galacticraft with an update from http://micdoodle8.com/mods/galacticraft/downloads. Take the latest 1.7.10 downloads. Move out the old ones; don't just delete them. If you're clear with that, then we're good! Then I knew I need to update it in the pack too.

If that doesn't work, then... stuff:

1. If you are craft with mcedit or some block editor, you can go find what block is at (-324, 119, 426) and bop it in the editor. I would also be curious knowing what that block is! Assuming you start up afterwards, you can then cheat in a replacement. Hopefully with updated gcraft, it won't happen again.
2. The nuclear option is to remove the galacticraft mods from the mod folder, let Minecraft just whack all the invalid entity IDs, then put the mods back in. You will then have to replace all your Galacticraft stuff. You might even lose any progress on the moon or whatever.

I can try later to skim through the entity IDs when I'm in the game to see which one is 378.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

taiyoko posted:

Yup. Other FTB packs like ME^3 work fine, and I have 3 GB allocated.

Minecraft crash log (in its entirety):
code:
[22:39:32] [main/INFO]: Loading tweak class name cpw.mods.fml.common.launcher.FMLTweaker
[22:39:33] [main/ERROR]: Unable to launch
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: cpw.mods.fml.common.launcher.FMLTweaker
	at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_60]
	at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_60]
	at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.LaunchClassLoader.findClass(LaunchClassLoader.java:106) ~[launchwrapper-1.11.jar:?]
	at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method) ~[?:1.8.0_60]
	at java.lang.Class.forName(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_60]
	at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:98) [launchwrapper-1.11.jar:?]
	at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:28) [launchwrapper-1.11.jar:?]

yeah in my inexpert opinion (:reject:) that is definitely forge being missing somehow

try reinstalling the pack maybe? maybe someone was doing an upgrade right as you installed the pack and it failed to download forge due to shenanigans

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Glory of Arioch posted:

yeah in my inexpert opinion (:reject:) that is definitely forge being missing somehow

try reinstalling the pack maybe? maybe someone was doing an upgrade right as you installed the pack and it failed to download forge due to shenanigans

I've reinstalled it like five times on different days. Same thing. Gonna try moving out my ME^3 save and nuke the entire FTB folder and see if that does it.

Edit: Yup, I nuked the FTB folder as well as the one in AppData, and now it downloaded forge and such and is working.

taiyoko fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 19, 2015

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is this a new log? The error profile is completely different.

The good news is that's it's much more illuminating! Some Galacticraft block is angry at you:

code:
Time: 10/18/15 6:01 PM
Description: Ticking entity

java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 0
	at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_71407_l(Minecraft.java:2006)
	at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_71411_J(Minecraft.java:973)
	at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_99999_d(Minecraft.java:898)
	at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(SourceFile:148)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:135)
	at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:28)

A detailed walkthrough of the error, its code path and all known details is as follows:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- Head --
Stacktrace:

-- Entity being ticked --
Details:
	Entity Type: null (micdoodle8.mods.galacticraft.core.entities.player.GCEntityClientPlayerMP)
	Entity ID: 378
	Entity Name: Yoshi6441
	Entity's Exact location: -323.47, 119.62, 426.07
	Entity's Block location: World: (-324,119,426), Chunk: (at 12,7,10 in -21,26; contains blocks -336,0,416 to -321,255,431), Region: (-1,0; contains chunks -32,0 to -1,31, blocks -512,0,0 to -1,255,511)
	Entity's Momentum: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
Stacktrace:
So something at (-324, 119, 426) crapped out. I am assuming the overworld. Does that area sound like an overworld place you were messing around?

So first, back up that world! Then you can go mug it.

First, if you are enterprising, replace Galacticraft with an update from http://micdoodle8.com/mods/galacticraft/downloads. Take the latest 1.7.10 downloads. Move out the old ones; don't just delete them. If you're clear with that, then we're good! Then I knew I need to update it in the pack too.

If that doesn't work, then... stuff:

1. If you are craft with mcedit or some block editor, you can go find what block is at (-324, 119, 426) and bop it in the editor. I would also be curious knowing what that block is! Assuming you start up afterwards, you can then cheat in a replacement. Hopefully with updated gcraft, it won't happen again.
2. The nuclear option is to remove the galacticraft mods from the mod folder, let Minecraft just whack all the invalid entity IDs, then put the mods back in. You will then have to replace all your Galacticraft stuff. You might even lose any progress on the moon or whatever.

I can try later to skim through the entity IDs when I'm in the game to see which one is 378.

Thanks a ton! Yeah, it's a new log, I opened my world again just to make sure it was still hosed up. Yep, still hosed up.

I'll try that and report back. I haven't even started the space stuff yet, I've been too busy trying to do all the quests. I'll actually MCedit first just to see what the hell is being angry at me.

e: After downloading MC edit and fiddling around, it looks like the offending block is... one of my iron chests? Which is weird, it's not even the one I was storing tech stuff in.

Beekeeping and You fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 19, 2015

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Hmm I dunno then. I do not think anybody has ever complained about iron chests. Galacticraft somehow went out of array range somehow. So you have zero Galacticraft stuff yet? If so, move those mods out and start it up. It may confuse hqm but you backed up . . . right?

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Hmm I dunno then. I do not think anybody has ever complained about iron chests. Galacticraft somehow went out of array range somehow. So you have zero Galacticraft stuff yet? If so, move those mods out and start it up. It may confuse hqm but you backed up . . . right?

I tried the three things you suggested and it's still crashing. I removed galacticraft and started it again, and it still crashed. Here's the no-galacticraft-installed crash log.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5Fvpm7g4L9JVDBMVkFCeEVFYm8/view?usp=sharing

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Beekeeping and You posted:

I tried the three things you suggested and it's still crashing. I removed galacticraft and started it again, and it still crashed. Here's the no-galacticraft-installed crash log.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5Fvpm7g4L9JVDBMVkFCeEVFYm8/view?usp=sharing

I'm poking at that now. This log has the error you originally posted. It's getting choked up on some NBT data. Of course, it does not print out what it's trying to process. :( I remember instrumenting all that code once while trying to figure out why some crap wasn't working on the CofH core for generating dungeon spawners correctly.

(None of that wound up in the mod pack, by the way)

I can't tell what's going on, but I have some tricks. For one, here's the area where it puked like before:
code:
[00:28:52] [Server thread/INFO] [Waila/]: Player EntityPlayerMP['Yoshi6441'/374, l='FATHER', x=-323.47, y=118.00, z=426.07] connected. Sending ping
[00:28:52] [Server thread/INFO] [Mekanism/]: Sent config to 'Yoshi6441.'
[00:28:52] [Server thread/INFO] [NEIAddons/]: World changed, resetting
[00:28:52] [Client thread/INFO] [STDOUT/]: [net.minecraft.client.Minecraft:func_71377_b:349]: ---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
I found that rough area in a client log on my local machine:

code:
[23:13:38] [Server thread/INFO] [Waila/]: Player GCEntityPlayerMP['RockoBonaparte'/413, l='Update Test #1', x=402.00, y=80.00, z=182.82] connected. Sending ping
[23:13:38] [Server thread/INFO] [Mekanism/]: Sent config to 'RockoBonaparte.'
[23:13:38] [Server thread/INFO] [NEIAddons/]: World changed, resetting
[23:13:38] [Client thread/INFO] [ttCore/]: Transforming Class [net.minecraft.inventory.ContainerRepair], Method [func_82848_d]
[23:13:38] [Client thread/INFO] [ttCore/]: Transforming net.minecraft.inventory.ContainerRepair Finished.
Of particular interest is:
code:
[00:27:28] [Client thread/INFO] [FML/Mekanism]: InvTweaks: net.minecraft.inventory.ContainerWorkbench
[00:27:28] [Client thread/DEBUG] [CCL ASM/Mekanism]: NEI: Applying workbench fix
[00:27:28] [Client thread/INFO] [FML/Mekanism]: InvTweaks: net.minecraft.inventory.ContainerRepair
[00:27:28] [Client thread/INFO] [ttCore/Mekanism]: Transforming Class [net.minecraft.inventory.ContainerRepair], Method [func_82848_d]
I snooped around and I see Mekanism earlier on is doing something goofy with that:
code:
[00:27:28] [Client thread/INFO] [FML/Mekanism]: InvTweaks: net.minecraft.inventory.ContainerWorkbench
[00:27:28] [Client thread/DEBUG] [CCL ASM/Mekanism]: NEI: Applying workbench fix
[00:27:28] [Client thread/INFO] [FML/Mekanism]: InvTweaks: net.minecraft.inventory.ContainerRepair
[00:27:28] [Client thread/INFO] [ttCore/Mekanism]: Transforming Class [net.minecraft.inventory.ContainerRepair], Method [func_82848_d]
If your original save is safe and we're just blowing up a victim game, can you smash Mekanism now too?

Edit: ...do you have a Robit running around?

Edit Edit: I think I see in InvTweaks where it's doing the patch, but I can't follow the progression. Honestly, I wish I could have just seen the NBT data since it would probably spell out what's pissed. Unfortunately, it's been since, like, April when I was poking around and building custom versions of Forge in order to inspect NBT data. My kung fu has weakened. Does anybody else have any ideas?

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Oct 19, 2015

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010
So, am I missing something in Regrowth? I have done the quests for each of the metal essences and the next up is the seeds. But to get say copper seeds I need to use 4 copper essence on the runic altar and the only way I can see to get copper essence is via the repeatable quest. The quest has a 2 day cooldown and of course requires 16 more clay for each time.

Is there some other way to get the 4 essences I need to get the seeds?

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Nah, Regrowth is just really, really, grindy.

e: If you need clay do the quest that gets you the Clayconia from Botania. You still need sand, but that's much easier to find than clay.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
So I just scrolled waaaaay down in ATLauncher tried the Solitary Asylum modpack. It's from 1.5 and is a sort of HQM-ish map like the original Feed The Beast challenge map.

Unfortunately it's bad. You can't make a transmutation table, so you have to use the philosopher's stone to transmute everything, and the beginning of the game is basically FARM TREES FOREVER. You have to get like six stacks of logs before you can make any machines to help automate things. The main problem is that you have to trade for redstone, at the rate of 64 logs per redstone. The second problem is that it takes an entire stack of logs to make one gold bar, which you need several of in order to make a harvester.

door.jar posted:

So, am I missing something in Regrowth? I have done the quests for each of the metal essences and the next up is the seeds. But to get say copper seeds I need to use 4 copper essence on the runic altar and the only way I can see to get copper essence is via the repeatable quest. The quest has a 2 day cooldown and of course requires 16 more clay for each time.

Some parts of Regrowth involve doing other things while waiting for the essence cooldowns to finish.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 19, 2015

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

axelsoar posted:

I think a neat compromise for a food system would be that all food restores your hunger bar just fine, but to maintain good health you need to maintain a diverse diet, and not just 5 different kinds of meat, but actually try to mix fruits and veggies in. Having good nutrition gives you slight bonuses like movement speed and haste that are low level but last as long as you are healthy.

You could even have junk food to jack up your hunger quickly, and be quick to eat and with a short buff to haste, but have it tank your nutrition score if you eat too much.

Try Terrafirmacraft that is painfully grindy and has the split for protein, carbs, fat , milk etc

Bishop Beo
Jul 3, 2009
Has anyone here played the Void World pack? Is it any good?

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Anyone know the critical path for the warding focus in Thaumcraft 4? It doesn't appear in the Thaumonomicon by default which means I'm gonna have to unlock it by prerequisite research, but it's a pretty grindy mod so I really only want to do the research I have to, to unlock it without having to go by trial and error and ending up with stuff I won't use. Thanks.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
You need to research wand foci of course, and then warded arcana, the research that looks like a door and unlocks warded glass and doors.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Bishop Beo posted:

Has anyone here played the Void World pack? Is it any good?
It's good and bad. It has a big focus around ProjectE, but is sort of designed around it. In that sense it's very much like the original FtB pack, which was great for its time, and a really original experience.
It has a lot of good points. It's kinda poorly written but the creator is still learning English so I won't hold it against them, and they do a pretty good job considering. Hidden treasure all over the place, interesting premade world design, and the 'meteor' effects are nice. Some of the quests are fun, the NPCs are a nice touch, etc. The two main downsides are that clearing/lighting the world is an absolute pain in the rear end, because every building is loaded with super-fast spawners, and you'll need some pretty good equipment to stand a chance the pick they give you to start makes a pretty good weapon until late game, but you'll want a ranged option too. If you don't beeline for spawners and keep moving, be prepared to get totally overwhelmed with enemies that pour in faster than you can kill them. Over time you get a feel for where the spawners are hidden (mostly behind stairs or bookshelves and under rubble or couches, so get used to clearing leveling anything that stands out on floors). On the one hand every time you clear a building, you feel pretty accomplished, but on the other, there's a lot to clear.

I ended up manually writing in EMC values for some things that didn't have them but should have, which is done easily enough. It's a lot nicer to be able to just pop a full life heart out of your tablet than to have to pop out a quarter heart and craft it up one phase at a time whenever you want a spare life. Luckily this is easily done with the /setEMC and /reloadEMC commands in game and the calculator app on your computer.

There's a lot of cool stuff, including getting to work with absolutely enormous reactors and smelteries.
The other big flaw is that just like the original FtB map you may find yourself doing a lot of blaze rod pulverizing and other cheap tricks for EMC. A single fully upgraded resonant grinder will produce EMC faster than a whole power flower. If you could find a way to automate pumping out blaze rods you'd be set with just that, probably.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Pulverizing blaze rods produces more EMC required to make blaze rods in the first place, so you can make a loop where half the time the blaze powder gets directed into an EMC chest that is set to produce blaze rods and the other half is directed into your main EMC pool or ad-hoc material generation. This setup is a lot simpler than the cobblestone generators that youtube LP'ers love to use to the point of insanity. One I looked at while researching the best way to produce EMC the two players had a line of like 15-20 EMC chests all filling up with cobblestone faster than they could generate diamonds.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

door.jar posted:

To second Steelion - nope, for those first couple of seeds you need to re-do the essence quest.

Later seeds you get only require one or two essence, but what you need to turn in to get that essence goes up in price as well.

Long story short: when you get seeds, plan on making a 4x4 square for farming a full stack once they're 10/10/x (no weeds, so you don't care about Strength). That way, you can ignore the resource until you need it, and then grab a full stack.

The exception to this seems to be essence seeds - you will need a lot more essence than a single 4x4 field can provide.

Bhodi posted:

Can someone give me a hint about the quest gating in regrowth? When does thaumcraft get unlocked?

Haven't gotten there myself, but from everything I've read, you have to get far enough in Witchery that you can make Greatwood before the Thaumcraft stuff opens up.

Eschers Basement fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 19, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

Pulverizing blaze rods produces more EMC required to make blaze rods in the first place, so you can make a loop where half the time the blaze powder gets directed into an EMC chest that is set to produce blaze rods and the other half is directed into your main EMC pool or ad-hoc material generation. This setup is a lot simpler than the cobblestone generators that youtube LP'ers love to use to the point of insanity. One I looked at while researching the best way to produce EMC the two players had a line of like 15-20 EMC chests all filling up with cobblestone faster than they could generate diamonds.

Personally I use a Clayconia from Botania - Sand costs 1, Clayconia costs 64, and it's easy to automate a setup that will turn several hundred sand into clay over the course of a few minutes

But yeah trying to do that with cobblegens sounds awful

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Eschers Basement posted:

Haven't gotten there myself, but from everything I've read, you have to get far enough in Witchery that you can make Greatwood before the Thaumcraft stuff opens up.
Ah ha! Greatwood sapling has a botania recipe which requires 3 witchery saplings. Cool. I miss walking fast and walking up 1 block steps.

door.jar posted:

What most people said; a few of the seeds require doing the repeat quests a bunch to unlock the seeds. IMO this was a pointless grind, so I did the quest once, cheated in a seed, completed the quest, took the rewards which were two essences, then void bag'd the seed and used the reward essences along with the one I already had to make the seed for real.

There are a few that are really bad; I'm currently roasting endless amounts of charcoal because it requires 32 charcoal BLOCKS to complete the quest. Whoever suggested fir trees, those are great, thanks for that! I'm just lucky that I mutated saplings into them on my fourth try.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 19, 2015

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

yeah in regrowth i waited until i had a ticon smeltery up, then made an alumite lumber axe and planted a bazillion trees + hopperhock

then I set up a furnace with hoppers for input, fuel, and output and just let it cook while i did other stuff

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I had no idea you could fully automate furnaces with hoppers :downs:

Is it input in the top, fuel in the side, output out the bottom?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is there some way to rapidly ingest a bunch of liquid essence for XP? I am talking about faster than slurping some up from a fountain with a straw. I need to reach level 42 or more a few times in a jiffy for Thaumcraft enchanting.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Magres posted:

I had no idea you could fully automate furnaces with hoppers :downs:

Is it input in the top, fuel in the side, output out the bottom?

correct

fun fact: you can use the wand of the forest to rotate hoppers, just shift click on them

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is there some way to rapidly ingest a bunch of liquid essence for XP? I am talking about faster than slurping some up from a fountain with a straw. I need to reach level 42 or more a few times in a jiffy for Thaumcraft enchanting.

iirc you can pipe it into a fluid transposer with glass bottles to make bottles o' enchanting, then just right click them as fast as your fingers will fumble while looking at the ground

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

There's a weapon enchantment from I believe Forbidden Magic (Thaumcraft addon) that will dramatically increase the amount of experience orbs dropped from killing mobs. Can't remember the exact name but it's similar to Learning or Education.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
If you put an autosmelting lava crystal onto a lumber axe all the wood you chop down will fall as charcoal instead of logs. No time or fuel spent on cooking it whatsoever. You can fill your whole inventory with charcoal in just a few jungle trees, takes like 30 seconds.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Sage Grimm posted:

There's a weapon enchantment from I believe Forbidden Magic (Thaumcraft addon) that will dramatically increase the amount of experience orbs dropped from killing mobs. Can't remember the exact name but it's similar to Learning or Education.

I think I saw that, but I already am swimming in mob essence between my mob grinder and cow farm.

Glory of Arioch posted:

iirc you can pipe it into a fluid transposer with glass bottles to make bottles o' enchanting, then just right click them as fast as your fingers will fumble while looking at the ground

I've actually never used a bottle o' enchanting so I'll see how well they behave.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Rocko; if you've got EnderIO around, you can make an experience rod and just right click a drum of mob essence.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I think I saw that, but I already am swimming in mob essence between my mob grinder and cow farm.

If you can kill the second Gaia Guardian, then finishing it with an Educational 5 sword will net you ~85 levels. It's easily the fastest way I've found to gain levels.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

Ah, Regrowth, once again trying to gate mining stuff behind material hardness and forgetting that the Rod of the Shifting Crust/Equal Trade focus exists :smugdog:

From what I've read in the official Regrowth thread where the developer posts using magic shenanigans to bypass ore hardness is an intended path, and also being able to use nether ores to skip/delay making magic crops of those ores (acquiring the ore from the nether will unlock all the same quests creating an ore seed would)

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Wow. Solitary Asylum is even worse than I thought. You need 70-100 stacks of seeds to get through the second door, since you need to fill 64 cells with seed oil and you can't breed up to chestnuts to make things easier, because you have no access to bees. So you're limited to either vanilla seeds which are .01 bucket each, or magical crops food seeds which are .015 buckets each. This can be automated, of course, but it's still absurd. I guess this is why I never heard of the pack before, not just because it was on ATLauncher.

It IS worth mentioning that the progress gating system is fairly clever. You put items in a chest to submit them, and once everything has been submitted it sends a key to a second nearby chest, which opens the Thaumcraft Arcane Door the task corresponds to. The structure is mostly Warded Stone so you can't just dig around the doors, but you CAN just build steps over walls so I'm not sure why they bothered with all the warded stone/glass. I bypassed some doors to check out what the other task requirements were and they don't seem so bad... except for one that requires 1600 buckets of molten iron, copper, tin, gold, silver, and obsidian.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Oct 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Been playing Refuge, man, it was tough clearing out the ME area, thanks to there being six zombie spawners in there and no armor better than wood yet. In the end, after clearing it out, I took one controller, a drive, the terminal, and a piece of cable upstairs and set it up to run off a capacitor bank I got from a reward bag. Also set the bank to only output on Redstone signal and slapped down a pressure plate so that it only runs while I'm standing there. Haven't moved all my stuff out of the chests and into the ME system yet, though.

A shame that crossbreeding off two 10/10/10 seeded only gives me a 5/5/5, but at least it's better than having to start at 1/1/1.