Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Close but not quite. It's the case breather inlet which does have a filter in a manner of speaking. The air filter proper is in a round housing that bolts onto the transmission with a large thumb screw just behind the breather location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Put the proper windshield back after using the shorty racing one for a week or so, replaced one of the incorrect rubber grommety things with the proper one, and got the replacement turn signal in. The old one that I crazy glued & electrical taped back together to survive last weekend's trip out to see my Mom held up rather well.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Got my airbox and carb for the ST90 on Thursday, though I didn't get to put them on due to job hunting.

Got the exhaust Saturday and the previous owner must have wrecked their ST90. The muffler heat shield is bent a little bit and there was tons of dirt and grass packed in between the muffler body and the heat shield. Everything was rusted together. Lots of penetrating oil and a little drilling the heads off screws and the heat-shield is free, though we still need to pry the lower bash guard off and twist out the screw remains from the heat shield brackets.

Next stepp is to bead-blast the exhaust and give it a new coat of paint.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Went to the shop today to install the crank and carriers which is an overly complicated procedure involving heating a bearing and freezing the crank and putting them together then freezing the crank again and heating the entire case to 240 degrees and installing the crank in it by tilting it through the front carrier hole on its nose and feeding the rods through the cylinder holes and tilting it to mate with the rear carrier without burning yourself on the 240 degree case and then pressing on the front carrier with bearing while the case is still heated (after having heated the front carrier and freezing the bearing to install the bearing in it) but had to stop halfway through because I discovered I didn't have the screws needed to put the front slinger on the crank before pressing on the front carrier.

So instead I replaced the headlight lens and got some pics of the ebay LED unit in it now.

And the worst switch ever designed (hi-beam switch). It's not broken in this photo, and it is in fact in the low-beam position, it's not like halfway between positions or anything, that's the way it's supposed to look. I can't explain to you how it works. It would make me too angry.

What it looks like installed. They cost $225 for a reproduction. Without the wiring.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Went to the shop today to install the crank and carriers which is an overly complicated procedure involving heating a bearing and freezing the crank and putting them together then freezing the crank again and heating the entire case to 240 degrees and installing the crank in it by tilting it through the front carrier hole on its nose and feeding the rods through the cylinder holes and tilting it to mate with the rear carrier without burning yourself on the 240 degree case and then pressing on the front carrier with bearing while the case is still heated (after having heated the front carrier and freezing the bearing to install the bearing in it) but had to stop halfway through because I discovered I didn't have the screws needed to put the front slinger on the crank before pressing on the front carrier.

:suicide:

What's wrong with ducatis again?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

:suicide:

What's wrong with ducatis again?

starbucks is lovely coffee.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

So instead I replaced the headlight lens and got some pics of the ebay LED unit in it now.

And the worst switch ever designed (hi-beam switch). It's not broken in this photo, and it is in fact in the low-beam position, it's not like halfway between positions or anything, that's the way it's supposed to look. I can't explain to you how it works. It would make me too angry.

What it looks like installed. They cost $225 for a reproduction. Without the wiring.

How did you not lose it and just melt the casing into something more useful?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Barnsy posted:

How did you not lose it and just melt the casing into something more useful?

Probably doesn't have the equipment to do it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
To be fair, though, the benefit of the design and manufacturing here is that everything in it is so overbuilt that once you put it together it'll go several hundred thousand miles. If you didn't have to clean the slingers every 60, anyway. But we'll ignore that. Everything on it is overbuilt, made of heavier poo poo than it needs to be. Control levers that on other bikes would have been made of stamped sheet metal are made of solid castings. I rode a 1950 something Nimbus 4 cylinder 750 once, a design from the 30s, and it made this BMW 500 feel heavy. It also felt significantly more flimsy and cheap than the BMW. There are no bushings or plain bearings at all inside this engine, and very few in the entire frame. Everything uses a rolling element bearing, including things that really don't need it, such as the swingarm pivots. The wheel bearings are shimmed tapered roller bearings and there's a chart somewhere of a test someone did that showed that if you preload them properly and regrease them every few years they will last 2 million miles. All the British bikes at the time, and for some decades later, and Harleys as well, had bushings in various places throughout the engine, on major components like camshafts, which don't hold up to mileage or abuse nearly as well. I haven't rebuilt Italian things that old so I couldn't comment on that. Today you can get away with plain bearings because bearing metallurgy is better and oils are better and oil pumps are better but back then it was a weaker design.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

kuffs posted:

I finished replacing all of the in-tank fuel system parts on the F4i. It was formerly cutting out over 10krpm, conveniently removing most of my powerband. I think it was close to complete failure, given the condition of the hoses and the crud in the bottom of the tank.

While I wasn't able to test the rev range in my lap around the block, at least nothing is leaking. We'll see how it does on my next track day.

Oh, and I upgraded the handgourds on the DRZ

Keep those year round.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Police recovered my DRZ. They were responding to reports of another stolen motorcycle and mine was there. Apparently the dude who called them went outside to start his Buell Blast but it was gone and my bike was there instead.:iiam:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Another proof that thieves are the dumbest people on the planet.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

Police recovered my DRZ. They were responding to reports of another stolen motorcycle and mine was there. Apparently the dude who called them went outside to start his Buell Blast but it was gone and my bike was there instead.:iiam:

I picture this as a comical series of downgrades where the guy started with an S1000RR and ended with a Buell Blast.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Akion posted:

I picture this as a comical series of downgrades where the guy started with an S1000RR and ended with a Buell Blast.

hhmmmm.yes. I see how this could all sound like some kind of joke or something.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Akion posted:

Except a Blast is arguably an upgrade from Chiche's oilless DRZ.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

clutchpuck posted:

Except a Blast is arguably an upgrade from Chiche's oilless DRZ.

hmmmmmm.... I bet there is a joke in there somewhere. Too bad no one made it yet. :sigh:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
sooo you should buy it back!

theres also a rearended one on the local craigs for 750. :D

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

cursedshitbox posted:

sooo you should buy it back!

theres also a rearended one on the local craigs for 750. :D

I was really excited when the cops told me they found it, I wanted to keep the poor fucker. Unfortunately it sounds like it was stripped of parts. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but the engine is probably gone, which means I won't ever get to find out what went wrong. :sigh:

And no, it was not found in the place of a Buell Blast. That was just my little attempt at humor on the Something Awful comedy forums. I don't know where or how the bike was located, I still need to talk to EPA PD so I can get that info.

Also insurance has not paid out yet, so I am releasing the bike to them so that they can deal with the towing vultures.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I have mothershitload of stock parts at my shop if you do get it back...

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

cursedshitbox posted:

I have mothershitload of stock parts at my shop if you do get it back...

Rebuilding a DRZ part by part sounds way more expensive than buying a used one, but if it isn't then I will definitely consider it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm roughly matched cost wise with my friends stock 06 SM. but I've a fuckload more go-fast than he does.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Chichevache posted:

but the engine is probably gone
But Chiche, if you look deep enough, you'll understand that the engine was ALWAYS gone.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Coydog posted:

But Chiche, if you look deep enough, you'll understand that the engine was ALWAYS gone.

Always gone but never goes. :sigh:

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Chichevache posted:

Apparently the dude who called them went outside to start his Buell Blast but it was gone and my bike was there instead.:iiam:

Some kind of motorcycle Robin Hood.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

High Protein posted:

Some kind of motorcycle Robin Hood.

If he gave them my DRZ then he is literally the opposite. Which is part of the joke. Which is why I posted that joke. Which is not real. Because I am kidding.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
That is a poor joke then, because a blown up DRZ is a better bike than a Buell Blast.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Rebuilding a DRZ part by part sounds way more expensive than buying a used one, but if it isn't then I will definitely consider it.

Good god man, just let if the gently caress go. There are other, far better bikes in the world than a DRZ. You even own one! You're like that guy pining for a girlfriend you had when you were seventeen and blind to all the other sexy babes/dudes in the world because she had metal mulisha stickers on her rear end or some poo poo. Move on. Do wheelies on your rocket couch. Enjoy having a bike that isn't constantly broken. Enjoy having pillion capacity. Enjoy being able to ride two-up on the motorway and see the sights and poo poo without losing your fillings and breaking down all the loving time. Christ.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

Good god man, just let if the gently caress go. There are other, far better bikes in the world than a DRZ. You even own one! You're like that guy pining for a girlfriend you had when you were seventeen and blind to all the other sexy babes/dudes in the world because she had metal mulisha stickers on her rear end or some poo poo. Move on. Do wheelies on your rocket couch. Enjoy having a bike that isn't constantly broken. Enjoy having pillion capacity. Enjoy being able to ride two-up on the motorway and see the sights and poo poo without losing your fillings and breaking down all the loving time. Christ.

You know what made that bike totally unique? I totally didn't care about it and I could have so much fun because I didn't care if I crashed it. The Zrex is too nice to thrash.:ohdear: It isn't that I want that DRZ in particular; I just want a second bike to wreck while I take care of the nice one.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Protip: don't crash.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

Protip: don't crash.

So far so good.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Just buy a loving KTM.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Yerok posted:

Just buy a loving KTM.

He couldn't keep engines in a drz, the gently caress makes you think he can make a ktm last.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Yerok posted:

Just buy a loving KTM.

You wanna be my cosigner, motherfucker?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

cursedshitbox posted:

He couldn't keep engines in a drz, the gently caress makes you think he can make a ktm last.

But it'll be funny :ssh:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
TW200.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Grom.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
[chooses another model & make that is on the curated list of "funny" motorcycles] * 10

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

KARMA! posted:

[chooses another model & make that is on the curated list of "funny" motorcycles] * 10

I believe "super cub" is what you're looking for

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
And none of this "Cub 90" bs. 50cc, no more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Where's the list of SA Approved Motorcycles?