Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

TheLastRoboKy posted:

On my wish-list is a Bretonnian pack with a Knight of the Realm/Knight Errant and his Man-At-Arms/Squire as characters. The dialogue between them alone would be worth the price of admission with the whole "Super nobility that has no idea how much of a prick he is and his long suffering but loyal dirt covered largely uneducated helper" interaction.

Also bad french accents.

I would love to see a Bretonnian knight, but I'm struggling to think of ways that the devs could differentiate him from the dwarf/soldier. Maybe instead of weapons he swaps out different kinds of shields that drastically change how he blocks/dodges or how he wields his sword. Then there's the issue with knights being forbidden from using ranged weapons of any kind, but honestly I'd be fine with a knight using a crossbow/bomb as long as he's desperately-shouting for no-one to look at him while he's planting bolts into a minigun rat on a roof.

Also his headgear should always consist of ridiculously-ornate helmets, all of them muffling his voice to the point of being nearly inaudible by everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I want an Orc and if that means I have to kill the dwarf then that short fucker is as good as dead.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.
So I just got...a thing.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If they add an orc, each time he kills a special he should get bigger.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

I finally got another bow for my elf and now I'm not sure if I should switch. Twice as much damage, but as half as fast and half as much ammo capacity. The base bow's charge attack already one shots regular rats, so should I bother going with the stronger bow?

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.
I have a bow that only has 45 arrows or so and does far more damage it was absolutely worth the switch since now I can be lazy and kill 4 normal rats with one charged shot during a swarm.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
I'd be down with some more nonhuman characters but they should probably stick to as few of the "evil" races (vampires, orcs, dark elves, etc) as possible to minimize confusion.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
How does shield-bash aggro work exactly? Does it only affect rats that get hit or is it in an area?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Mordja posted:

How does shield-bash aggro work exactly? Does it only affect rats that get hit or is it in an area?

I have to imagine it's rats you hit, because otherwise you could hypothetically shieldbash a wall and make a rat next to you get pissed off at you.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
How do i get gud with waywatcher? My bow doesnt 1 hit slaves on hard =( BW is so much easier...

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
After doing Hard Horn 2 grimoire runs for a couple hours, I've only gotten a single blue. :suicide:

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Stab things in the head. Regular headshot = dead normal rat, charged attack & strength potion = dead stormvermin, or quickly dead rat-ogre. Use charged hag bow shows to clear swarms and help noob friends

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
I've been running solo sewers on hard, and although there's no grimoires OR tomes, I've got two blues out of it in less than ten runs. Plus it takes 1/5 the time of the other two missions. If you're trying to get geared up for the release, this is the way to do it IMO. There's even a slight orange chance.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

ChickenHeart posted:

Also Gas Rats deciding that the best place to detonate themselves is in the middle of their own comrades, nowhere near the players. Globadiers are weird.

makes perfect sense for skaven really, they hate eachother.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

iRend posted:

I've been running solo sewers on hard, and although there's no grimoires OR tomes, I've got two blues out of it in less than ten runs. Plus it takes 1/5 the time of the other two missions. If you're trying to get geared up for the release, this is the way to do it IMO. There's even a slight orange chance.

I just started doing this after my multi grimoire groups poo poo the bed in the home stretch one too many times. Quick and easy most times and I can listen to podcasts while I do it. Would recommend.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
are there no gutter runners or packmasters?

what about ratogres, you just solo them?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Tokubetsu posted:

How do i get gud with waywatcher? My bow doesnt 1 hit slaves on hard =( BW is so much easier...

Get a longbow, on hard the hunting bow is only really effective against slave rats during hordes. A longbow should be able to 1 shot clanrats to the body, and charged should be able to 1-2 shot specials.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

terrorist ambulance posted:

are there no gutter runners or packmasters?

what about ratogres, you just solo them?

The bots are actually mildly competent and will generally prioritise saving your rear end if you got snagged by a gutter runner or packmaster. They also make for nice meatshields and automatic DOT vs he Rat Ogre.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
oh bots. of course. I thought you meant pure solo, because I am stupid

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
So here's something odd. I fixed my framerate issues by capping my framerate at 60 and turning v-sync ON :psyduck: Someone on the steam threads posted about it and sure enough it worked wonders for me. Beta indeed! :v: Usually V-sync is a fps killer but this gave me a huge boost.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Why does the Witch Hunter's starting sword have ammunition? Is there a gun attached to it?

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice

Night10194 posted:

Why does the Witch Hunter's starting sword have ammunition? Is there a gun attached to it?

Yes, use your special attack key (mine is the browser 'back' button on my mouse). A poster earlier in the thread posted about it.

thejacob
Feb 13, 2014
Calling bullshit on anyone clearing a level with only bots.
I have yet to see them even one time not all die pulling a conga line right into a ratling gunner.
Doesn't matter when or where, it is 100% assured that if they can see the thing before I do the run is already over.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I haven't tried a bots match but if it's anything like L4D, they must be worse than useless. I once saw a bot pick up a bomb, I have never seen a bot USE a bomb.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

thejacob posted:

Calling bullshit on anyone clearing a level with only bots.
I have yet to see them even one time not all die pulling a conga line right into a ratling gunner.
Doesn't matter when or where, it is 100% assured that if they can see the thing before I do the run is already over.

While I've not had great luck with bots, your example is hardly substantive. A player armed with a good anti-special ranged weapon can easily take out a rattling with a single headshot before it winds up.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

I haven't tried a bots match but if it's anything like L4D, they must be worse than useless. I once saw a bot pick up a bomb, I have never seen a bot USE a bomb.

They're better than the average pubbie!

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
I'd rather have a bot than a level 0.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Pubbies in this game are a special breed of stupid and this is coming from someone who willingly plays with pubs in Payday 2. The A.I. wins simply on the fact that doing nothing is less of a run-ender than pubs doing ANYTHING.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Dezztroy posted:

They're better than the average pubbie!

You're probably right.
I play Imperial with the hammer and sniper rifle. If I can't swiftly kill a special, the teammate was destined to die.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I'm coming to the conclusion that the Wayfarer's Trueflight Longbow is brokenly good. It does damage comparable to the WH/Dwarf crossbow while having more ammo, a faster reload, and it homes in and autoheadshots multiple rats per shot when you charge it. The thing is unequivocally great at pretty much everything: It wrecks specials and autoaims them so you don't have to, it hit's multiple shitling enemies per fire, and in the event of a swarm all you have to do is get behind the tank in the doorway and fire blindly out the door because the arrows do all the work for you. My trueflight has extended ammo as well, so I've got 40 shots per reload which lets me get super liberal with firing it off willy nilly.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

DeathSandwich posted:

I'm coming to the conclusion that the Wayfarer's Trueflight Longbow is brokenly good. It does damage comparable to the WH/Dwarf crossbow while having more ammo, a faster reload, and it homes in and autoheadshots multiple rats per shot when you charge it. The thing is unequivocally great at pretty much everything: It wrecks specials and autoaims them so you don't have to, it hit's multiple shitling enemies per fire, and in the event of a swarm all you have to do is get behind the tank in the doorway and fire blindly out the door because the arrows do all the work for you. My trueflight has extended ammo as well, so I've got 40 shots per reload which lets me get super liberal with firing it off willy nilly.

I just got a blue trueflight and the only thing that was killing it for me over the white longbow was the low ammo. Good to know there is an extended ammo trait.

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005

Red Mundus posted:

So here's something odd. I fixed my framerate issues by capping my framerate at 60 and turning v-sync ON :psyduck: Someone on the steam threads posted about it and sure enough it worked wonders for me. Beta indeed! :v: Usually V-sync is a fps killer but this gave me a huge boost.

Don't expect some magical patch here in 4 days. This is a PREORDER HYPE type Beta.

(I like the game though)

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Jimb posted:

Don't expect some magical patch here in 4 days. This is a PREORDER HYPE type Beta.

(I like the game though)

I wouldn't be so sure, they've been patching things pretty quickly during the last two weeks. They are probably going to take a bit more time now, but I'm expecting 1-2 patches this week. Also hopefully with a few more maps added.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

So at release is it going to look better then a hl2 mod?

thejacob
Feb 13, 2014
Oh I have no doubt in my mind that they are better than pubs.
I have seen a bot face tank an ogre as it pounded them into a corner and take no damage for it, no pub could ever pull that one off.

My issue is mostly my terrible luck and whatever it is that makes the bots go full RIP AND TEAR on the one enemy they should not be zerging into.
I see almost zero of the other specials because as soon as a bot sees it they shoot it in the face and then tell me about how awesome they are.

That aside, game is good and I hope it continues to be good into the future.

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:
Jesus christ hook rats are loving devastating. Constantly looping people during hordes and welp I guess you're gone now. I'd rather fight ogres than pack rats, because a single hook rat has ended several runs now.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Bots are better than pubbies for one simple reason: they don't loving wander off and get lost only to get hooked or jumped and destroyed while bitching that we're not running the 900 mile distance back to their stupid rear end fast enough.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Yeah, cause they can't chat. They sure do go wander off after specials by themselves though! As a group, the bots do OK. With one or two, they're awful.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Junkie Disease posted:

So at release is it going to look better then a hl2 mod?

When was the last time you played or saw Half Life 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Bots will also do another thing: Teleport right next to you. So at the start of the sewers mission, you can quaff a speed potion, and run to the first bomb drop and they'll be right next to you. Course you'll be down a potion but you'll save several minutes!

• Locked thread