Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

computer parts posted:

tbf from what it sounds like sony made the decision to double the ram at literally the last possible moment

yah it was the good ol serbian jew doublebluff and it paid off in fuckin spades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

microsoft's branding strategy will never work because it's trying to be unoffensiveley friendly and happy to all people.

it's not. they're not. they should embrace it.

microsoft's branding should be sharp, and i don't mean stylish. it should be a little agressive. maybe ominous. the company for getting poo poo done. they should evoke respectful dread.

the phobia everybody has of becoming IBM will never let them do that.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

they're going to become ibm whether they like it or not, it would probably save a lot of time & energy if they just went with it

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

qirex posted:

they're going to become ibm whether they like it or not, it would probably save a lot of time & energy if they just went with it

They have a lot of offshore cash to blow thru first

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Space-Pope posted:

well, they kind of had an in with the younger crowds with the xbox 360. but then they had to put out a new one, and managed to gently caress it up spectacularly in pretty much every conceivable way

im pretty sure their success in the 90s has permanently warped microsoft's corporate psyche. once a product has reached sufficient market share they pathologically can no longer account for customers' needs or interests

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

microsoft's branding strategy will never work because it's trying to be unoffensiveley friendly and happy to all people.

microsoft's branding should be sharp, and i don't mean stylish. it should be a little agressive. maybe ominous. the company for getting poo poo done. they should evoke respectful dread.

mebes we in the 'POS can spitball some logos and branding for our pals at ms? maybe some sluglines?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Dark Microsoft

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

computer parts posted:

tbf from what it sounds like sony made the decision to double the ram at literally the last possible moment

on the other hand, Sony was able to do this because their design wasn't inherently idiotic.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

pseudorandom name posted:

on the other hand, Sony was able to do this because their design wasn't inherently idiotic.
dedicating one core to the kinect, which will for sure always be connected no matter what, is a brilliant move which will empower the next generation of controllerless video gaming

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

qirex posted:

almost all microsoft's recent … growth has been in … butt stuff

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

duTrieux. posted:

I am a very boring person with very boring needs for my desktop operating system, and Microsoft met those needs

a keyboard and some screens, maybe a spreadsheet

I don't need it to look amazing and fashionable, just consistent and not offensively bad

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

there are a whole bunch of formerly great tech companies whose end state is the next ibm - dell, hp, msft are eventually going to join ibm and xerox and unisys in the business of making bespoke artisanal enterprise systems for f500s and government agencies at a 700% markup. i dont think there are enough contracts around to keep six giant enterprise consultancies in business so there is a real advantage in giving up on the consumer market and going full enterprise asap

msft should just dump their gaming and mobile device and consumer and content divisions and concentrate wholly on servers and enterprises and cloud services and all that boring and hugely profitable poo poo

duTrieux. posted:

they should become what blackberry was pretending to be - the company you go to when its time to get poo poo done

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

qntm posted:

I am a very boring person with very boring needs for my desktop operating system, and Microsoft met those needs

I [..] need it to look [...] consistent and not offensively bad

:confused:

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

when you try use chrome

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

PleasureKevin posted:

when you try use chrome

lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001

PleasureKevin posted:

when you try use chrome

lmao

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
that's tacky as hell

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

PleasureKevin posted:

when you try use chrome

lol

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

PleasureKevin posted:

when you try use chrome

:yikes:

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
windows 7 already marks the chrome installer exe as a data harvester and asks you twice if you're sure you want to download and run it

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Phoenixan posted:

windows 7 already marks the chrome installer exe as a data harvester and asks you twice if you're sure you want to download and run it

it's true though

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper

PleasureKevin posted:

when you try use chrome

when does anyone ever need to write on a webpage?

it's such a useless scenario that Microsoft won't stop bragging about

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

its so you can circle bits and go "change this!" and email it

and nothing else

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

KidVanguard posted:

when does anyone ever need to write on a webpage?

it's such a useless scenario that Microsoft won't stop bragging about

software by middle management, for middle management

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

ahmeni posted:

software by middle management, for middle management

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

PleasureKevin posted:

when you try use chrome

"read distraction free with reading view"

IS LITERALLY IN A DISTRACTION POP UP

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

how is reactos looking?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Windows 7 looked fine

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

PleasureKevin posted:

when you try use chrome

lmao

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

PleasureKevin posted:

when you try use chrome

how much is this going to cost them in the eu? another 500 mil?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
is edge still a metro app that can't interact with the desktop?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Wheany posted:

is edge still a metro app that can't interact with the desktop?

at least drag-and-drop in imgur doesn't work. it just shows the "no parking" sign when you drag a picture over edge

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
~unification~

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wheany posted:

at least drag-and-drop in imgur doesn't work. it just shows the "no parking" sign when you drag a picture over edge

modern. cool.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Wheany posted:

they supposedly allowed drag and drop for file uploads in certain sites with the latest build so they're working on it - I think that's the first modern/uapp that can actually do that, of course doesn't work in any others so consistent in its inconsistency

tried to Edge last night to watch a game on mlb.tv as it has built-in flash and didn't want to install it, dragged the tab playing the video a second screen - let go, tab disappeared - sound kept playing

oh and Edge still refuses to close the majority of the time, have to click in 7-8 times depending on how many tabs are open

I think the Windows Runtime framework is just fundamentally broken, there's not a single universal app that I haven't come across that doesn't just randomly quit or exhibit schizoid behavior, really win16 apps on win95 are more stable

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

tried to Edge last night
:c00lbert:

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Only Android Can Save Windows Phone

quote:

But the real killer is more subtle. It’s the smaller, necessary apps that just make life easier on a daily basis. For example. I was rushing to the local commuter rail station on Friday to get into Boston for a meeting, but I had no cash, and no way to get any nearby. How would I pay for the train? My wife joked that it was too bad I used Windows phone, since the MBTA mTicket app on both Android and iOS would let me buy tickets over the air. Fortunately, my iPhone was in my bag, so I installed the app and bought the tickets. If I had only had my Windows phone, I would have missed the train, since I would have needed to have gone and found an ATM machine.

"Apps. Hmm, they seem useful" - Thurrott, Oct 2015

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

they supposedly allowed drag and drop for file uploads in certain sites with the latest build so they're working on it - I think that's the first modern/uapp that can actually do that, of course doesn't work in any others so consistent in its inconsistency

tried to Edge last night to watch a game on mlb.tv as it has built-in flash and didn't want to install it, dragged the tab playing the video a second screen - let go, tab disappeared - sound kept playing

oh and Edge still refuses to close the majority of the time, have to click in 7-8 times depending on how many tabs are open

I think the Windows Runtime framework is just fundamentally broken, there's not a single universal app that I haven't come across that doesn't just randomly quit or exhibit schizoid behavior, really win16 apps on win95 are more stable
pretty sure flash is built into ie on windows 8+

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Only Android Can Save Windows Phone

"Apps. Hmm, they seem useful" - Thurrott, Oct 2015

lol i keep an iphone in my bag but the inferior device?? right beside the dil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003