Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Splode posted:

Someone rolled snake eyes.

Man, I'm glad I'm not that guy in class the next day.

Jade Star posted:

Looks more like a Blitz! kick off to me.

Oh gently caress, i just noticed the scoreboard. Was that a game losing fumble in the last 15 seconds of the game?

Nah, it's clearly a fumbled punt attempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
No that is definitely a group of elves swooping in on a failed sure hands roll and creating a fast cage with a failed dodge by the opposition at the end.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

MRLOLAST posted:

with a failed dodge by the opposition at the end.

Desperation -2db resulting in Push/Push into the end zone.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Man he should have just jumped on it. I would be so embarassed.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Meet Cross Eyed, my favotite Breton Peasant.
He's awesome... but usually quite unlucky.

He's a bit of a Dirty Player but he can Kick the ball really well.

However. He's quite prone to getting injured. He already has two Niggling Injuries (+2 on injury rolls) and a Smashed Knee (-1MV). And now he just suffered another injury reducing his AV to 6...
I'm just going to keep playing him until he dies, so much fun. Last game I even managed to feed him a Touchdown.
I also play with the Brib-ref stand. So in home games I try to foul as much as possible with Cross Eyed !
Last game vs a Deathroller Dwarf my opponent was very grateful with the Bribe, so I kind of KO'd him with my Dauntless Blitzer.

Oh yeah, I was trying to get a +AGI Blitzer but seems I will have to settle for a +STR Blitzer. He has Dodge, Tackle and +STR. Thinking what I should take next, Frenzy sounds quite appealing but I've seen so many opponents fall into a 2db to -2db Frenzy trap I'm quite hesitant.
Otherwise Mighty Blow?

My TV is at 1500 atm, and I really don't want to go above that (with 3 skill-less subs, I need them)

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Frenzy is great, I don't think brets take much mighty blow since they don't have anything good to put it on.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
So do sponsorships do anything? Or the silver coins you collect? Also, I've upgraded my stadium thrice to burn cash but could buy one attachment, is that how it should be? Sorry for the questions but the manual is just the LRB.

edit: Lizards and Delves are available for PS4 and Xbone, do we know when the DLC is coming to Steam?

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Evernoob posted:

Oh yeah, I was trying to get a +AGI Blitzer but seems I will have to settle for a +STR Blitzer. He has Dodge, Tackle and +STR. Thinking what I should take next, Frenzy sounds quite appealing but I've seen so many opponents fall into a 2db to -2db Frenzy trap I'm quite hesitant.
Otherwise Mighty Blow?

Mighty Blow would require doubles on a Bret Blitzer. Your normals access options are kind of limited. Pro or Strip Ball are sadly at the front of my 'off the top of my head' list. Leader is solid if you don't have one already.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
How is Mighty Blow as an option for Saurs? I want to crush peoples snowflake players when they get the coin customization items rolling. And I enjoy lizards more than orcs and chaos.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
you should get block first on a saurus but after that mighty blow can make a lot of sense. don't go nuts with it though, you'll need some tackle.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Nasgate posted:

How is Mighty Blow as an option for Saurs? I want to crush peoples snowflake players when they get the coin customization items rolling. And I enjoy lizards more than orcs and chaos.

You want all your saur to get block first, no exceptions under any circumstances. And then your first pick as second skill should be either tackle or frenzy, then a couple with mighty blow, then pick up the skill that you didn't get earlier (tackle or frenzy). So eventually you end up with like one with block/tackle, one block/frenzy, 2 block/guard and the final couple block/mb. For 3rd skill you go nuts and take anything you want, but probably more guard and mighty blow with your tackle and frenzy dudes taking break tackle.

Doubles and stats except for str are pretty useless on sauruses, they don't get much mileage from dodge and unless they already have break tackle you probably want to skip +mv too. Your eventual 4 skill lineup of sauruses actually does not have a ton of wiggle room for stats otherwise you will probably end up light on guard.

Washout fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 19, 2015

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I got +ma and +agi on my gutter runner. He will die, but it will be a glorious race!

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

turboraton posted:

I got +ma and +agi on my gutter runner. He will die, but it will be a glorious race!

I will foul that abomination on sight.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

Coolguye posted:

you should get block first on a saurus but after that mighty blow can make a lot of sense. don't go nuts with it though, you'll need some tackle.

You could be crazy and give one naked mb instead of block. He will be level up faster and you can use it to do 3 d blocks.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

MRLOLAST posted:

You could be crazy and give one naked mb instead of block. He will be level up faster and you can use it to do 3 d blocks.

That's only true when you have other blockers to take up the slack for him. Way better off with block first, especially lizards.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I played a very good game versus a well developed High Elf team with my Bretonnians. Was able to Tie 2-2.
Both times he was able to score a 2TTD typically sending out his catchers with blitz support, followed by a 67%-83% long bomb pass and dodge to end zone.

I think that's all very cool and all, but how can you best defend against such plays?
On his first TD I marked all his players in their backs, but since he had Nerves of Steel on two catchers that was (except for the dodge roll) pretty useless.
On the second TD I marked his players by standing in front of them, hoping for an intercept, but the marker he passed to just got blitzed off his feet so that didn't really help either.

Is simply setting a defensive screen a better defense? Or will I just need more Tackle and cross my fingers for a failed 83% dodge?
I did send out my Ballstripper (blocker with Wrestle/Strip Ball) in offense to pressure him into going for a 2TD, but he managed to do so both times anyway.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Washout posted:

You want all your saur to get block first, no exceptions under any circumstances. And then your first pick as second skill should be either tackle or frenzy, then a couple with mighty blow, then pick up the skill that you didn't get earlier (tackle or frenzy). So eventually you end up with like one with block/tackle, one block/frenzy, 2 block/guard and the final couple block/mb. For 3rd skill you go nuts and take anything you want, but probably more guard and mighty blow with your tackle and frenzy dudes taking break tackle.

Doubles and stats except for str are pretty useless on sauruses, they don't get much mileage from dodge and unless they already have break tackle you probably want to skip +mv too. Your eventual 4 skill lineup of sauruses actually does not have a ton of wiggle room for stats otherwise you will probably end up light on guard.

I shoved dodge on two of my saurus as well as block. They don't really go down anymore.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

dogstile posted:

I shoved dodge on two of my saurus as well as block. They don't really go down anymore.

Well the "defender stumbles -> push' still works obviously. But using the other part of the Dodge ability for dodging out of a tackle zone I wouldn't rely on too much with 1AGI.
I was able to do the same with 3 of my Chaos Warriors, and they indeed are pretty hard to knock down, but every opponent usually has one or more blitzers with tackle, so especially at higher TV the effect of Dodge is somewhat diminished.

I have a question for you Lizard coaches out there : Every time my opponent gets a touchback (I have a lousy kicker) they give the ball to a Skink. As the touchback catch apparently can't fail, I would give the ball to a Saurus as he is pretty hard to stop and it would be better to feed him SPP's. Am I wrong here?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

MRLOLAST posted:

you'd think this but in practice he is going to be the weak link in your line and will be targeted as such by your opponents. if i am fighting lizards and can get a 1db against a saurus without block vs someone WITH block, i will probably take that bet after my more important motions are done. this is especially true if i have rerolls to burn. it's worth it to put a saurus on the ground, and potentially in the dugout/morgue. if you go mighty blow first, i'll likely have taken some guard on my blitzers or blitzer analogs and more block on my filler, so i'll have an even easier time getting these opportunities to put your dude on his rear end.

you're not causing any casualties from your rear end. take block first. the second levelup can be a delicate balance of tackle, guard, and mighty blow, but the first level on basically every saurus should be block.

also yeah if i got dubs on a saurus i'd probably ignore it in favor of just getting more of the critical skills (tackle/guard/etc). the TV bloat from a doubles skill is simply not worth the limited use a saurus is going to get out of the skill. yeah if you pop dodge on there a blodge saurus can avoid a lot of blocks, but if you'd just given him guard instead the block likely wouldn't have been thrown in the first place. lizards basically have to stick hard to fundamentals because if they are ever pushed out of their comfort zone, they are in very, very serious trouble.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Oct 19, 2015

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Evernoob posted:

Well the "defender stumbles -> push' still works obviously. But using the other part of the Dodge ability for dodging out of a tackle zone I wouldn't rely on too much with 1AGI.
I was able to do the same with 3 of my Chaos Warriors, and they indeed are pretty hard to knock down, but every opponent usually has one or more blitzers with tackle, so especially at higher TV the effect of Dodge is somewhat diminished.

I have a question for you Lizard coaches out there : Every time my opponent gets a touchback (I have a lousy kicker) they give the ball to a Skink. As the touchback catch apparently can't fail, I would give the ball to a Saurus as he is pretty hard to stop and it would be better to feed him SPP's. Am I wrong here?

Chaos warriors getting double is an instant dodge pick, but they have 3 agi. On a saurus you have ag1 and it's a lot harder to ever score touchdowns and get spp so spending a skillup on dodge instead of getting more guard or whatever is debatable. I'd be inclined to skip it for a strength skill like guard, MB, break tackle etc.

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..

Evernoob posted:

I played a very good game versus a well developed High Elf team with my Bretonnians. Was able to Tie 2-2.
Both times he was able to score a 2TTD typically sending out his catchers with blitz support, followed by a 67%-83% long bomb pass and dodge to end zone.

I think that's all very cool and all, but how can you best defend against such plays?
On his first TD I marked all his players in their backs, but since he had Nerves of Steel on two catchers that was (except for the dodge roll) pretty useless.
On the second TD I marked his players by standing in front of them, hoping for an intercept, but the marker he passed to just got blitzed off his feet so that didn't really help either.

Is simply setting a defensive screen a better defense? Or will I just need more Tackle and cross my fingers for a failed 83% dodge?
I did send out my Ballstripper (blocker with Wrestle/Strip Ball) in offense to pressure him into going for a 2TD, but he managed to do so both times anyway.

The only defense against elves is not giving them the ball. 2-1 grind is what you should practice, if he has 2 turns to equalize you did it wrong, simple as that.

He didn't get the draw by scoring in 2 turns but by defending in a way so you had to score to early.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

ZigZag posted:

The only defense against elves is not giving them the ball. 2-1 grind is what you should practice, if he has 2 turns to equalize you did it wrong, simple as that.

He didn't get the draw by scoring in 2 turns but by defending in a way so you had to score to early.

Actually the match went a little different.

1st half I received first, but wasn't able to score (my ball carrier got stranded on one square from the endzone due to him reoganizing my cage a little with some smart pushes). 0-0

Second half was so much more interesting, he Received so scored 1-0 in his T2
T3 I blitzed through his leftfield and picked up the ball in my right backfield. T4 I was able to create a hole between my ball carrier and the Blitzer so I managed to end the turn 1 square from his endzone with 2 guards. T5 TD (had to his whole team was around me).
His Turn 5 I kicked off, so again he scored on his T6 with me tryng to stand in front of his catchers.
Turn 7 I received the ball on the left and caged up on his half in the leftfield. I also blitzed his rightfield with a Blitzer and 2 Peasants.
His turn 7 he completely screened off the cage but T8 (with a dodge) I was able to circle back around the screen. Hand over the ball to a Blocker, have him do a Quick Pass to the blitzer in the rightfield and score.
He couldn't do anything in one Turn so we just chatted about the tense game.

PS : kind of lame the game is immediately stopped when T16 is over. No chance for after-match report or some chatter (flaming?)

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..
Well then you did it right and he failed and you should look at it as a success, you pressured him to score quick so you had time to score and get the draw.

You have to remember that you are playing a not very good team against a really good team.
Brets lack a quick acces to block, tackle, pomb players since the blitzers don't have strengt acces which dooms the team.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Well, I know the Brets are not Tier 1 or so but I am really having a ton of fun with them so I gladly continue playing them.
I could turn one blocker (who do have STR access) into a killer, with Wrestle/Tackle/MB/PO but then I would also like Jump-Up on him first.

And I try to compensate the lack of POMB with some nasty Dirty Playing Peasants. I have 3 of those running around and my last action of a lot of turns is usually fouling an elf with a dirty player +2/3 assists. It doesn't give me extra SPP, but it often results in a 72% chance to break armor, often knocking them out or better.
With 3x 40k peasants sitting in the Dug Out I don't even feel bad if one gets sent off (and for games in my own stadium I always have a bribe ready, which only turned out bad once when my opponent fielded a Deathroller)

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..
Fouling is key with brets IMO too, the blockers are your only guard pieces so keep them standing. All the bb teams can be made to work in mm where you can manipulate tv, but brets should and can be kept under 1200 by running 1 rr + a leader rr.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Coolguye posted:

also yeah if i got dubs on a saurus i'd probably ignore it in favor of just getting more of the critical skills (tackle/guard/etc). the TV bloat from a doubles skill is simply not worth the limited use a saurus is going to get out of the skill.

A ST4 player with Block, Dodge, and Stand Firm is super useful for locking down multiple players and forcing them to consider wasting blitz/tacklers on your Saurus instead of murdering a skink every turn. As much as positioning is about putting your guys in the right place, it is also about not letting your opponent put his guys in the right place. Not to mention that Break Tackle is a valid pick on Saurus and Dodge works with Break Tackle.

If you're building a POMBer, Jump Up is another worthwhile pick on doubles.

Guess what, you're never going to win the skill race against anyone with Lizards. Are you firing any Saurus who manages to level beyond Block/Mighty Blow/Guard/Tackle?

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

ZigZag posted:

brets should and can be kept under 1200 by running 1 rr + a leader rr.

They work very well in that TV indeed, but I'm playing at the 1300TV cap at the moment. But how can I keep them that low if my Two Blitzers and Blockers start gaining more SPP's and Skills? TV bloat happens.
I can start firing them but then you go from lvl 3/4 with some good skills back to a lvl1.

Is there a way to
-Stop players from gaining SPP
-Sideline a player so he can't be setup during a match, but doesn't contribute to the TV?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Evernoob posted:

They work very well in that TV indeed, but I'm playing at the 1300TV cap at the moment. But how can I keep them that low if my Two Blitzers and Blockers start gaining more SPP's and Skills? TV bloat happens.
I can start firing them but then you go from lvl 3/4 with some good skills back to a lvl1.

Is there a way to
-Stop players from gaining SPP
-Sideline a player so he can't be setup during a match, but doesn't contribute to the TV?
No, because BB was never meant to be a game played in online huge league setting/to cheese your TV rating so that the matchmaker doesn't match you against high TV squads.

EDIT: Note, I think cheesing your TV is still a viable tactic, but mostly to reduce your opponents inducements rather than trying to affect the matchmaker.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

ZigZag posted:

Brets lack a quick acces to block, tackle, pomb players since the blitzers don't have strengt acces which dooms the team.

Uh, Brets have very quick access to block. 8 of their starting players have block or Wrestle.

They also have very quick access to Tackle because their blitzers have really weird access. Tackle has been the first skill up for my four blitzers.

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..
I mean the skill set not the individual skill. There is a huge difference between needing 16 spp for a reliable pomb player or 31 spp. 31 spp means block tackle pomb on a wight etc. wrestle is no good in this situation.

If Bret blockers started with block instead of wrestle they would be a great team, but wrestle is really really bad on your only guard dudes.

Since the blitzers needs doubles to take useful skills except for a few, then yes fire them when they bloat and only keep the one with ag4 or mb.

When I used to take a new team to the #1 in auld or nagg I would just start One naturally and then cut players and rr when they didn't make enough of a difference.

ZigZag fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Oct 19, 2015

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Evernoob posted:

Saurus ball is the best ball

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

CuwiKhons posted:

Saurus ball is the best ball

Krox ball :colbert:

Sure, there's a good chance you won't get the ball half way down the pitch, but neither will your opponent.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Evernoob posted:

Anyone that gives a skink the ball on a touchback is a moron.
Anyone that doesn't hand it to the krox hates fun.

I hope this answers your question.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

Anyone that gives a skink the ball on a touchback is a moron.
Anyone that doesn't hand it to the krox hates fun.

I hope this answers your question.

Yes, my best memory of Bloodbowl was when my Minotaur scored his first touchdown. After a touchback I gave him the ball and he frenzied his way all the way to the endzone.
The NAF changed the rules the next day.....

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Victor Vermis posted:

A ST4 player with Block, Dodge, and Stand Firm is super useful for locking down multiple players and forcing them to consider wasting blitz/tacklers on your Saurus instead of murdering a skink every turn.
Unless he is directly in my way then I am just dodging away from that guy instead, ag3 is fine for that risk as long as it's at the end of a turn, especially if it's ag3 with dodge. If he is directly in my way then a blitz isn't wasted and some other lizard would have been there instead because it's doing something like guarding a ball carrier. So he would have benefitted more from guard/stand firm instead.

quote:

Guess what, you're never going to win the skill race against anyone with Lizards. Are you firing any Saurus who manages to level beyond Block/Mighty Blow/Guard/Tackle?
? No? How does this follow from what I said? Like even remotely? Also how many level 6 big lizards are you even raising, I think I've seen like two in all the games I've played and that has nothing to do with culling.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

If I had to defend a dodge saurus, it would be that a dodge break tackle saurus is both hard to take down and hard to lock down, giving you a solid, reliable piece for assists/blitzing as needed. Plus dodge gives a little extra protection against clawpomb. Whether or not it's a good investment depends on whether you think a free reroll on that 4ST 6MA guys dodge is worth it. Ignoring the doubles and taking guard is definitely a fine choice as well if you're willing to risk the occasional team reroll for the ability to move guard around.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

FoolyCharged posted:

If I had to defend a dodge saurus, it would be that a dodge break tackle saurus is both hard to take down and hard to lock down, giving you a solid, reliable piece for assists/blitzing as needed. Plus dodge gives a little extra protection against clawpomb. Whether or not it's a good investment depends on whether you think a free reroll on that 4ST 6MA guys dodge is worth it. Ignoring the doubles and taking guard is definitely a fine choice as well if you're willing to risk the occasional team reroll for the ability to move guard around.

Dodge adding another 17% chance to not fall over against your local lovely Chaos kill piece makes it worth it to me IMO.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

Washout posted:

MB is fine as a 2nd skill on Sauruses, as is BT over Frenzy. If you know you're gonna be up against elves then getting a couple early tacklers becomes most important of course.

Dodge is good on Sauruses (And any Saur that gets dodge should get BT after). ST4 gets punched too. I say Frenzy dudes should pick up stand firm as a 3rd skill for safe surfing.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Has the leaping krox and tree been posted?
https://youtu.be/Y4qHogPe_AI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

Tekopo posted:

No, because BB was never meant to be a game played in online huge league setting/to cheese your TV rating so that the matchmaker doesn't match you against high TV squads.

While this is true, it's also really dumb. TV matched perpetual leaguescapes gives the best matchups (and hence the best matches in general).
BB is worse at what it was supposedly designed for.

• Locked thread