Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
How about RDA if he beats Cowboy? Only two wins, but against some pretty insane competition, and he became champ as a 5-to-1 underdog.

But I think it would have to go to one of the gals (assuming they win their next fights and Conor/Cerrone don't), since they would be the only champs with 3 wins in the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Lloyd Boner posted:

How about RDA if he beats Cowboy? Only two wins, but against some pretty insane competition, and he became champ as a 5-to-1 underdog.

But I think it would have to go to one of the gals (assuming they win their next fights and Conor/Cerrone don't), since they would be the only champs with 3 wins in the year.

Yeah RDA is up there too obviously but Cerrone's case is stronger since if he wins that's 4 wins in 2015, 2 over legit competition and redemption fights against Benson and Dos Anjos and he wins the belt. That's a lock for Fighter of the Year imo. Conor cause that'd be 3 wins in 2015, knocking off a top guy in Mendes and the long reigning champion in Aldo. Cormier, even though he went 2-1, all 3 were the best in the division so he's the fat dark horse in the race.

and yeah I expect it to go to Ronda cause even though Joanna's fights are all going to be sick as hell and she was the underdog for her championship bout, Ronda beat 3 people in under a minute flat. That's insane even if she is fighting trash cans. But since we all know rhonda isn't as good as yoshida, let's talk about Conor and Cerrone and Cormier and Condit.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

If DC is deserving of it, "best year" isn't worth earning.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The greatest fighter of the year is Robbie Lawler. Has any other champ been an underdog in every title fight? RDA was a dog in the Pettis fight but he has to be favored against Cowboy I would think, and it's still different than Robbie losing rounds in his fights but then pulling out the win.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Bean Fried posted:

Yo, buy Mark Hunt's book.

This is after Pride had been loving with Mark Hunt on his contract, right after his win over Wanderlei no less:

lmfao at effete human ken doll sakakibara trying to intimidate mark hunt and it immediately costing him 400k

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

1st AD posted:

The greatest fighter of the year is Robbie Lawler. Has any other champ been an underdog in every title fight? RDA was a dog in the Pettis fight but he has to be favored against Cowboy I would think, and it's still different than Robbie losing rounds in his fights but then pulling out the win.

it's unfortunate that robbie's technically only going to have one fight this year. if either the hendricks or the condit fight had been in 2015 he'd be a shoe in. even the one title fight he did have was so incredible i'd still say that he beats anyone except hopefully cerrone

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Bubba Smith posted:

he did lose (and cry) but he had a competitive 3 rounds with the champion and then beat the two other top guys in the division & won a belt in the process. That's a pretty good year for anybody. Cerrone and Conor are like the only two guys who are gonna have a better year if they win their upcoming championship bouts.

I'm trying to recall DC being competitive with Jones. He didn't get blown out and did win round 1, but a lot of my memories of that fight are DC trying really hard to take down Jones and failing while Jones took down DC a lot. DC won a "moral" victory by spending the last round rather than going for a KO or anything just trying to take down Jones.

That fight cannot be held as "DC had a great year!" when he became champion because the guy who beat him comprehensively left

Lloyd Boner posted:

I have a rational hatred of RDA and so I'm biased against considering him for anything.

Marching Powder posted:

it's unfortunate that robbie's technically only going to have one fight this year. if either the hendricks or the condit fight had been in 2015 he'd be a shoe in. even the one title fight he did have was so incredible i'd still say that he beats anyone except hopefully cerrone

There's no way that if Conor beats Aldo anyones had a better year than him. Defeating the #2 best featherweight and the champion in the same year from being an upstart is Chris Weidman levels of greatness.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Lid posted:

There's no way that if Conor beats Aldo anyones had a better year than him. Defeating the #2 best featherweight and the champion in the same year from being an upstart is Chris Weidman levels of greatness.

bullshit. he beat a guy who had been out of training and on a 2 week camp. he fought with such glaring holes in his game that the real contender would have hosed him up beyond belief and aldo is basically the only guy in the entire upper echelon of the division that plays to his strength. even if he beats aldo, he'd still be the second best guy in the division until he proves otherwise.

chris weidman is objectively way, way better and more accomplished than conor

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Marching Powder posted:

bullshit. he beat a guy who had been out of training and on a 2 week camp. he fought with such glaring holes in his game that the real contender would have hosed him up beyond belief and aldo is basically the only guy in the entire upper echelon of the division that plays to his strength. even if he beats aldo, he'd still be the second best guy in the division until he proves otherwise.

chris weidman is objectively way, way better and more accomplished than conor

I love Frankie Two-Times as much or more than the next guy but currently Frankie has a loss to Aldo which until that is resolved he is lower on the totem pole, and Chad "only 2 weeks" only previous losses had been to Aldo. Two week camp doesn't really go with him stopping Chad straight up. I might be biased against RDA but you're pretty clearly biased against Conor.

Edit: "Weidman levels of greatness" refers to his rise to the top of Middleweight and killing the untouched champion of years gone by. Not purely fighting style/ability. I wouldn't put Conor as equal to Weidman on any pound for pound lists.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Lid posted:

I love Frankie Two-Times as much or more than the next guy but currently Frankie has a loss to Aldo which until that is resolved he is lower on the totem pole, and Chad "only 2 weeks" only previous losses had been to Aldo. Two week camp doesn't really go with him stopping Chad straight up. I might be biased against RDA but you're pretty clearly biased against Conor.

Edit: "Weidman levels of greatness" refers to his rise to the top of Middleweight and killing the untouched champion of years gone by. Not purely fighting style/ability. I wouldn't put Conor as equal to Weidman on any pound for pound lists.

i am biased against conor for sure. but i watched aldo / edgar without bias and aldo lost without a doubt in my mind so i don't mind arguing from that point of view, but even without that point of view the extremely poor performance against chad's wrestling indicated that conor would beat frankie maybe one time in ten, making conor still number 2 in my opinion even if he beats aldo.

go back and watch how chad moved in his second aldo fight and how he was standing straight in front of conor and try saying that 'it's basically the same chad'. it wasn't. conor beat a shell when a fitter, and all around better opponent was just waiting in the wings who was not chosen purely because exactly what they were afraid of (conor being unable to wrestle at the elite level) was insanely correct and frankie who has 5 rounds in him any day of the year would have breakdanced all over conor's guard and likely submitted him.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Marching Powder posted:

i am biased against conor for sure. but i watched aldo / edgar without bias and aldo lost without a doubt in my mind so i don't mind arguing from that point of view, but even without that point of view the extremely poor performance against chad's wrestling indicated that conor would beat frankie maybe one time in ten, making conor still number 2 in my opinion even if he beats aldo.

go back and watch how chad moved in his second aldo fight and how he was standing straight in front of conor and try saying that 'it's basically the same chad'. it wasn't. conor beat a shell when a fitter, and all around better opponent was just waiting in the wings who was not chosen purely because exactly what they were afraid of (conor being unable to wrestle at the elite level) was insanely correct and frankie who has 5 rounds in him any day of the year would have breakdanced all over conor's guard and likely submitted him.

To extend this though I believe Cerrone and RDA both would be crushed by Khabib (and Khabib has a win over RDA that unlike Edgar-Aldo isn't debatable) but that doesn't mean I would reduce Cerrone's achievements if he beats RDA even though I rank both him and RDA below Khabib. It's irrational thinking when the metric is "who had the best year" not "who is the best in their division". If it was the latter this would be the third year in a row where Mighty Mouse was FOTY honestly.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Lid posted:

It's irrational thinking when the metric is "who had the best year" not "who is the best in their division".

lucky i'm not saying that then. i'm saying that out of all the condenders for this completely subjective accolade conor is the only one who fought a shell who was out of training and on two weeks notice and a person he matches up extremely well against whilst leaving a contender in the wings that would likely annihilate him.

gunblade
Sep 1, 2008

-Just lucky, I guess
DC has been in some good, even great, tough fights this year, but his career hasn't taken any dramatic upturns that I feel is warranted for being labeled "Fighter of the Year".

So far, he's won the two fights that he was favored to win, and he lost the fight he was expected to lose. In addition to that, he got to call himself champion because Jon Jones' career got into a car crash. He's great as a fighter and as a sports figure, but what he has done this year isn't exceptional when you consider his standard.

gunblade fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 19, 2015

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

What about Joanna as a dark horse candidate? She's had an amazing year already. If she beats Letourneau like she beat Penne and Esparza (she will) she will have gone from being basically unknown to a savage TKO inflicting champion in a division which isn't known for striking power.

This is all moot of course because Fighter of the Year is Sage Northcutt, obviously

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Marching Powder posted:

i am biased against conor for sure. but i watched aldo / edgar without bias and aldo lost without a doubt in my mind so i don't mind arguing from that point of view,

I watched this fight with extreme bias FOR Edgar, and you are very wrong.

E to add more to the discussion: we can argue how, with wins in their next fights, McGregor and Cerrone would be top contenders for fighter of the year and probably be right. What I think is more interesting is that in the probable case neither of them win, it becomes much HARDER to determine who actually gets fighter of the year. Like Cormier came back and beat the two other best guys but he lost badly to the consensus true best light heavyweight, and Rousey trashes people but those people are bad, etc.

In that case I predict whoever wins in the goon vote will only do so by a single-digit margin.

Bluedeanie fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Oct 19, 2015

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
fighter of the year should be based on no objective metrics and solely determined by who you'd want to hang out with. fat drunk yoshida fighter of the year 2015

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bluedeanie posted:

I watched this fight with extreme bias FOR Edgar, and you are very wrong.

E to add more to the discussion: we can argue how, with wins in their next fights, McGregor and Cerrone would be top contenders for fighter of the year and probably be right. What I think is more interesting is that in the probable case neither of them win, it becomes much HARDER to determine who actually gets fighter of the year. Like Cormier came back and beat the two other best guys but he lost badly to the consensus true best light heavyweight, and Rousey trashes people but those people are bad, etc.

In that case I predict whoever wins in the goon vote will only do so by a single-digit margin.

A 3-0 Joanna has a better case than Cormier or Rousey. She basically created a division that people seem to enjoy watching and brought a title to represent a new market. Could even say that Werdum and Lawler have good cases, at 1-0, though Lawler-MacDonald is such a lock for fight of the year that the vote should be for the runner up.

Do we not have anyone on crazy winning streaks this year like Neil Magny was last year?

Never mind. Mark Hunt Fighter of the Year 2015.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
fighter of the year is dan henderson for having a fight where not only did he win but at no point in the process did he look like he was going to die and make you feel sad and uncomfortable. he's only a year younger than sakuraba folks, give generously this christmas.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Joanna is cool but she didn't create W115, the only reason people care at all is because she smashed the bitchy TUF champion. Also her competition is weaker and through the injury lottery of events ended up fighting a can instead of the #1 contender due to scheduling.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Triticum Guzzler posted:

fighter of the year is dan henderson for having a fight where not only did he win but at no point in the process did he look like he was going to die and make you feel sad and uncomfortable. he's only a year younger than sakuraba folks, give generously this christmas.

I guess you forgot the Mousasi fight. I'm p sure he did too.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

1st AD posted:

I guess you forgot the Mousasi fight. I'm p sure he did too.

yeah i'm just saying in addition to having one of those fights, he also had one where he didn't get smashed. next he goes into the temporal paradox lionosaur's den to get hit repeatedly, yet he will still be fighter of the year.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
if cro cop wins against hamilton i think we can all agree he is fighter of the year

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Triticum Guzzler posted:

the temporal paradox lionosaur

lol

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

CommonShore posted:

A 3-0 Joanna has a better case than Cormier or Rousey. She basically created a division that people seem to enjoy watching and brought a title to represent a new market. Could even say that Werdum and Lawler have good cases, at 1-0, though Lawler-MacDonald is such a lock for fight of the year that the vote should be for the runner up.

Do we not have anyone on crazy winning streaks this year like Neil Magny was last year?

Never mind. Mark Hunt Fighter of the Year 2015.

But my point is it gets a lot more subjective than if McGregor or Cerrone (to a lesser extent imo) don't manage to win. Joanna will likely go 3-0 and it's not her fault she is not fighting Gadelha, but the fact still remains that she's fighting Valerie instead. That seems like unfinished business and people can use that to justify voting for someone else and not really be wrong.

I actually agree with you that Joanna would be a strong candidate, I'm just saying McGregor beating Aldo after beating Mendes and riding that much insane hype would feel like a pretty cut and dry choice, whereas if Aldo wins the choice becomes much more subjective and depends on what you value and what you choose not to worry about when considering your fighter of the year.

Bluedeanie fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 19, 2015

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Lid posted:

I'm trying to recall DC being competitive with Jones. He didn't get blown out and did win round 1, but a lot of my memories of that fight are DC trying really hard to take down Jones and failing while Jones took down DC a lot. DC won a "moral" victory by spending the last round rather than going for a KO or anything just trying to take down Jones.

That fight cannot be held as "DC had a great year!" when he became champion because the guy who beat him comprehensively left

It was round 2 that he won and 3 was close before he gassed and got beat the gently caress up in 4 and 5 and lost, but that's besides the point. You can remove DC's winning a fake belt if you want to be a dick about it and he still beat the top two other opponents in his division, something no other fighter has done this year. Mighty Mouse gets a pass because he's already beaten everybody, but right now Cerrone/Conor/Weidman/Rockhold/RDA are the only guys left who will be fighting their second top ranked opponents before the end of the year. Then you can get into arguments about what's more impressive, Conor beating Mendes and Aldo in a year or Dos Anjos beating Pettis and Cerrone in a year over DC beating Rumble and Gustafsson.

I'm not saying Daniel Cormier should be awarded the illustrious "Ultimate Fighting Championship Reebok Fighter of the Year," as I do think when it's all said and done there will be a few people ahead of him. But if some funny things happen before the end of the year he'd be worthy of it. People who say he isn't are either making dumb "lol LHW sucks" points or are retarded, whatever they want to go with.

However I non-sarcastically agree it should go to Dan Henderson if he knocks out & retires Vitor Belfort in Brazil. That's actually the best story of the year if he does it. nam as te

Bubba Smith fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 19, 2015

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
will werdum fight again this year? he beat cain velasquez this year, so thats pretty god

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

i like joe duffy :)
http://fightland.vice.com/blog/joe-duffy-stands-to-gain-a-lot-more-than-a-victory-at-his-irish-homecoming

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Lmao at someone beating mendes and aldo not winning fighter of the year

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Bundt Cake posted:

will werdum fight again this year? he beat cain velasquez this year, so thats pretty god

One and done, same issue with Robbie.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
give it to mighty mouse. hes cool

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

lucky i'm not saying that then. i'm saying that out of all the condenders for this completely subjective accolade conor is the only one who fought a shell who was out of training and on two weeks notice and a person he matches up extremely well against whilst leaving a contender in the wings that would likely annihilate him.

This guy is a cultural phenomenon and ko'd the number one contender and beat the pound for pound best in the sport, but it doesn't count because a guy who exists might beat him

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
who was fighter of the year last year

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Oh and Chad would start every round moving against aldo, and then would start standing right in front of him. He did this without getting a takedown, and still lasted longer then he did against conor

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Dangersim posted:

Lmao at someone beating mendes and aldo not winning fighter of the year

No one is saying this.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Bundt Cake posted:

Our Lord and savior Robert Glenn Lawler

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Bundt Cake posted:

Robbie Lawler. That's why, as much as I love him, I think it's a bit egregious to say he should win it this year when comparatively his 1 fight against MacDonald wasn't as cool as the 4 fights total he had in 2015.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Fighter of the Year

You

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Bluedeanie posted:

No one is saying this.

Marching Powder posted:

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Who was fighter of the year 2 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

Bundt Cake posted:

Fighter of the Year

You

• Locked thread