Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

How the gently caress does this planet work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I like keeping graves and lining the entrance to my colony or mountain fort with them. Raiders can see where they will end up. It also serves as a bit of a history as you can still click on graves and see who were the first fools you buried. I usually have a separate graveyard for colonists.

Jamus
Feb 10, 2007

Danaru posted:

How the gently caress does this planet work

If you're on a moon of a much larger planet eclipses will happen occasionally and could last for a while depending on how slow your orbit is.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Jamus posted:

If you're on a moon of a much larger planet eclipses will happen occasionally and could last for a while depending on how slow your orbit is.

Oh yeah, I didn't think about that

I've been awake for many hours

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think I last played a very low numbered alpha has this game come very far?

BRB pooping
Apr 17, 2008

Isaac posted:

I think I last played a very low numbered alpha has this game come very far?

Yes, absolutely. Depending on when you played it last, you now have temperature-management, animal husbandry, new biomes, art and lots of small QOL-improvements. I started backing before the added biomes and temperature and the game have come a long way since then. The dev is on a much needed vacation but the amount of mods available make up for the lack of updates for the core game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's a list of the update posts in the OP if you want a changelog.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I really don't get the whole modpack drama thing. I don't even want a modpack, I don't want someone to choose what gets installed into my game, because I don't trust them not to gently caress it up by getting old versions or leaving out dependencies.

The whole process from 'ooh a new alpha, I feel like checking out Rimworld again' to playing with everything installed and working is literally less than 15 minutes. As it seems so simple to me, but there is so much bullshit around this.. I present Tony's Playing Rimworld Guide:

1) When a new alpha comes out.. wait a bit. Play the old one, play another game.. don't download it in the first few days. Wait for Tynan to tweak it from the player feedback. If you're brand new to Rimword, I get that you're excited and it doesn't matter what I say here. If you've been around a while then that should have worn off and you don't mind waiting a little to not gently caress around.

2) When you're installing mods, you'll learn the folder structure easily and have a Mods folder with all of them in there. Don't delete this before you install the next one, keep it and install Rimworld another directory alongside.

3) It takes only seconds to google each mod name and find the thread/webpage they come from. This also means if there is new or changed functionality in the mod you see it in the OP, often with diagrams or just helpful information from the mod creator. They'll also point out dependencies here so you can be sure to get those too.

4) Download and extract each to the Mods folder. I run Improved Bionics and Surgery (it's not called that now, but you'll find it), edb prepare carefully and interface, redist heat, less trolling incidents and that's about it. That gives me plenty more UI functionality, lots more fun and control with temperature and building with it, less trolling means less stupid busy work and more fun and the Bionics mod works with Prepare Carefully. As your pawns are less disposable because you've carefully selected who they are, being able to fix them completely (with reasonable costs) makes more sense to me. It's just more fun too, by mid-late game if I want to make a completely bionic super-warrior I just want to be able to turn plasteel and other things into the parts, with suitably skilled crafters and doctors to make it happen.

That's it. What is in these modpacks that make it worth relying on some shitlord in the first place?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Some mods do conflict with each other so if you want a lot of them, a modpack can be helpful. In the main though yes you can install them yourself easily.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

What's the name of the mod that gives you little icons across the top of the screen for each of your colonists along with little status indicators? Also, is it up to date? I miss the hell out of it.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Word on the streets is that he wasn't just compiling the mods, he would have to go in and modify them to play nicely together, and quite a few from what I read. Still doesn't excuse him being a big whiny bitch baby and melting down when asked to split proceeds from it.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

ChickenWing posted:

What's the name of the mod that gives you little icons across the top of the screen for each of your colonists along with little status indicators? Also, is it up to date? I miss the hell out of it.

You're thinking of EdB interface mod. It's up to date.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Typical Pubbie posted:

:neckbeard:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Typical Pubbie posted:

Sadly Pawn State Icons isn't :smith:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I lost like my first 3 colonies but that's kinda normal. Should I be building a big outside wall for the place or should I have defensives around the base?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Tenzarin posted:

I lost like my first 3 colonies but that's kinda normal. Should I be building a big outside wall for the place or should I have defensives around the base?

You'll want walls that funnel attacks into a designated killzone where all your defenses will be focused. But prepare for sappers to try and get through thinner walls/rock. It seems they avoid the range of turrets, even if that range is clipped over rock. So, single "dummy" turrets that form a periphery around your base seems to at least confuse them.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I once had a sapper decide to mine through a cliff to get to the unprotected side of his base

It was a good idea until my dudes got over to the tunnel entrance and filled it with bullets :v: they had nowhere to run, shortest 8 man raid I've ever seen

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Azhais posted:

Sadly Pawn State Icons isn't :smith:

This has pawn state icons updated to a12: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=12996.0

You can just copy the single directory out of the modpack

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Well I last alot longer with the kill box and fought off a seige by shooting their mortar when they all slept. Really heavy sleepers. I tried stealing their mortars and food but they kept shooting in more.

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint

Demiurge4 posted:

The vegetable garden mod looks neat but the combat realism one looks dumb (snipers with map wide range).

Are you playing on the smallest map size? Because 107 range is not exactly what I would call map wide, unless you're playing on a flat 100x100 desert map or something. It also beats the hell out of killboxing, tiptoing around siegers' retarded AI and all the other gamey poo poo the awful vanilla combat system produces.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The enb interface mod is pretty nice but alot of the mods seem like they give you too much stuff for a dwarf fortress clone. I tried used prepare carefully but it felt like gaming the system if I picked perfect characters.

I guess I just perfer vanilla games.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Tenzarin posted:

Well I last alot longer with the kill box and fought off a seige by shooting their mortar when they all slept. Really heavy sleepers. I tried stealing their mortars and food but they kept shooting in more.

really? haha i've never tried this, but if it works you can somewhat dangerously farm sieges for emergency food and shells

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Popular Thug Drink posted:

really? haha i've never tried this, but if it works you can somewhat dangerously farm sieges for emergency food and shells

Just wait until they go to sleep, I was wondering if you can capture them.

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
This game is now officially better than Dwarf Fortress in my book

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

I havent played for a while, but I thought they implemented something that discourage killbox/killzone few patches ago, or was that removed out?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

wfwon posted:

I havent played for a while, but I thought they implemented something that discourage killbox/killzone few patches ago, or was that removed out?

I think I'm at the point I could increase the killbox to take up basically the entire part of my base in the mountain too.

I heard there are sappers that will mine into a base.

So far I see digging into mountains really op, I just hope they dont got adding 1000 z levels and making the game a real slog.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
yeah, sappers are the killbox discouragement, but if you have the ability to put killboxes around the whole place that doesn't matter much. Sappers will mine through mountains or dismantle your walls.

The only real thing they could do to make killboxes less effective would be to have larger raids land in multiple locations on the map and hit you from multiple sides at once

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Azhais posted:

yeah, sappers are the killbox discouragement, but if you have the ability to put killboxes around the whole place that doesn't matter much. Sappers will mine through mountains or dismantle your walls.

The only real thing they could do to make killboxes less effective would be to have larger raids land in multiple locations on the map and hit you from multiple sides at once

I think I suggested a while ago that the game would benefit from having enemies muster on the game map.

So, you don't just get a massive army turn up, you get several smaller camps start filtering into the map a week at a time or so, and if you don't deal with them, they join up and attack in a big wave. Encourages aggressive play and expeditionary forces, also makes mortars more useful.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The raids become too big too fast to try to fight them off with cover and pistols.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

I must just not have enough turrets, because I have a hard enough time with raids as-is, -especially- with 20-strong groups of tribespeople who immediately gib half of them.

Post pics of your murderboxes so I can stop losing all my useful colonists (seriously every time someone dies it's invariably my 15-skill grower/construction/mining and not my 2-in-everything-except-melee idiot)

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Mechanoids don't gently caress around. One shot took off the arm of one of my colonists, a second shot took out another colonist's leg.

Side note: I have a large tamed boar population in my colony, they seem pretty useful for combat but I don't have a frame of reference really. Should I try to replace them with dogs?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ChickenWing posted:

I must just not have enough turrets, because I have a hard enough time with raids as-is, -especially- with 20-strong groups of tribespeople who immediately gib half of them.

Post pics of your murderboxes so I can stop losing all my useful colonists (seriously every time someone dies it's invariably my 15-skill grower/construction/mining and not my 2-in-everything-except-melee idiot)

Ill post it later, but from guides online, I set up like 20 turrets in a formation of turret-wall-wall-turret with sand bags in front. Tribal people have to run up on the sandbags and they get kinda stuck because the turret becomes a mine when the kill one. The two walls protect the next turret in a row. The important part is that the kill box needs to surround them.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tenzarin posted:

Ill post it later, but from guides online, I set up like 20 turrets in a formation of turret-wall-wall-turret with sand bags in front. Tribal people have to run up on the sandbags and they get kinda stuck because the turret becomes a mine when the kill one. The two walls protect the next turret in a row. The important part is that the kill box needs to surround them.

My usual go-to is putting vast dumping stockpiles around the turrets so everyone is slow as hell approaching them and running away from them. Melee guys almost never escape the blast and they get shot to poo poo slowly plodding over piles of stone chunks

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

unwantedplatypus posted:

Mechanoids don't gently caress around. One shot took off the arm of one of my colonists, a second shot took out another colonist's leg.

Side note: I have a large tamed boar population in my colony, they seem pretty useful for combat but I don't have a frame of reference really. Should I try to replace them with dogs?

You can see how much damage an animal does by looking at its [i] panel in the bottom left.

Otherwise you want to know how much HP they have and how fast they move, speed is listed in the same panel but HP I think is something you need to figure out when they get damaged.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

unwantedplatypus posted:

I just had my first run in with mechanoids. A ship crashed outside my sleepy farming village, and from within the wreckage a malevolent A.I. began to send out a psychic pulse that was slowly driving my colonists insane. I mustered the town militia, had them build sandbags around the ship, and began the assault. A mechanoid appeared, took aim at my hunter, and fired its charging lance, literally blowing her clothes off fanservice style. :anime:

Fortunately I had EMP grenades from a previous pirate raid, so I was able to stun the mechanoids and clean up without serious casualties.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Typical Pubbie posted:

Fortunately I had EMP grenades from a previous pirate raid, so I was able to stun the mechanoids and clean up without serious casualties.

mechanoids around ships are also completely stupid and you can use a sniper rifle to hit them from beyond their aggro range. Park a dude at max sniper range and just kill them at your leisure. If they aggro just run away and they'll give up and head back to the ship

note: don't kill the ship. kill the ship and they'll all blitz you and your base. Kill the base after you kill the mechs

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Mechanoids in general are really just badly balanced and force lame tactics. If you had more predictable and more rapid replacement of colonists I wouldn't mind quite as much if one shot from a centipede inferno gun or whatever severely damages/kills 10 of my defenders defenders but unless you cheese them somehow or other they will pretty much destroy your colony :shrug:

Also bothers me that they make trying to use melee dudes totally unrewarding, because even centipede melee is way too fast, too accurate, too deadly. One hit kills a guy. Really best to just have a gang of dudes with sniper rifles kill them from max range, nearly every other direct combat approach will mean major pain for the defenders.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

unwantedplatypus posted:

I want to expand it around the mountain even more.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
that's a cool base, tenzarin. if you put a roof over your turrets, they'll be harder to hit bc of the darkness.

here are a couple of bases with killboxes. yours is more optimal, but i have fun with them.

this one is from a8? or something? whenever he introduced the first new biomes.

this one is from a12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Today's event is fallout! I get to learn about zones!