Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Tokubetsu posted:

When was the last time you played or saw Half Life 2?

a few years ago. Its beta so on max it doesn't look hot. Was wondering it it get fancier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006

Red Mundus posted:

So here's something odd. I fixed my framerate issues by capping my framerate at 60 and turning v-sync ON :psyduck: Someone on the steam threads posted about it and sure enough it worked wonders for me. Beta indeed! :v: Usually V-sync is a fps killer but this gave me a huge boost.

On a related note, I've experienced wildly fluctuating framerates with Vsync off/uncapped framerate (and a 100hz monitor, if that matters) in multiplayer games. I just tried an all bot match and the game ran almost silky smooth.

There's probably some quirks in the net code? I wonder if it has anything to do with the maximum upload rate setting.

Unrelated note: First attempt at the sewers with all bots (on normal though) went ridiculously well. I think I'll try hard tomorrow.

ToiletDuckie fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Oct 19, 2015

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

TacMan posted:

Jesus christ hook rats are loving devastating. Constantly looping people during hordes and welp I guess you're gone now. I'd rather fight ogres than pack rats, because a single hook rat has ended several runs now.

Hook rats are how you tell who your friends really are.

They're pretty weak health wise, just needs someone on the ball enough to shoot them. A big help is turning "Player Outlines" in Gameplay settings from "On" to "Always On". They've also got a little announcement when they turn up like all the other specials, but I've not worked out quite what it is yet.

Also while the Shotgun/Coach Gun/Repeater seems weak, if you use it in conjunction with a Strength potion they will absolutely slay anything, even Stormvermin Patrols. Strength Potions are great and you should use them.

Fans fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Oct 19, 2015

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Packmasters are pretty easy to hear as their skulls or whatever make a distinct jingle (jangle) when they're running.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Dezztroy posted:

Packmasters are pretty easy to hear as their skulls or whatever make a distinct jingle (jangle) when they're running.

They're a bit harder to notice though since compared to the other tells it's a lot more subtle. Couple that with how they tend to come during hordes means they're easily the most deadly special at the moment when you play on higher difficulties.

Best way to deal if they catch someone mid massive horde is...just let him lynch your buddy. If the 3 of you can survive then cool but trying to force your way through the tide is just gonna put your team in a worst position.

Vermintide: Hooker got your buddy 'round a corner? gently caress it

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Biggest problem I have with Packmasters is that they usually come at the tail (:v:) end of hordes, and if you're gleefully bashing people away from you in a door is pretty hard to notice them amid the seal of flailing limbs. Well, that and the stupid pubbie elf (it's always an elf) that runs away halfway across the map.

Incidentally, I love shields.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
420 hurl fully-charged spears of magical fire at rat ogre faces erryday

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Shields are great, especially as bashing becomes more important at the higher difficulties because you can't just one shot everything.

If you need to save a friend from a Pack Rat then bashing everything over and running out to shoot it works a lot better than trying to hack your way after it. Bash is a very fast move and has a wide AoE. Using it is pretty important at the higher difficulties.

Bash doesn't work on the Packrat itself though. In fact does it work on any special? Even the Stormvermin shrug it off.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

I tend to shield bash the stormvermin back then whip out the dwarf handcannon whichseems to one-shot anything on a torso shot and blow it the gently caress away. That stops once i get upto nightmare then its only headshots that will outright nuke them.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Hook rats are what bombs were made for. Also thanks to whoever it was mentioned capping the FPS and activating V-sync helped performance. I can actually play now! It's still laggy on horn in a lot of the open areas but the sewer run is actually really smooth so I can just run that over and over :)

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Apart from drinking, there is absolutely nothing to do here.
Played this couple of hours yesterday at the evening, as a very popular (is it?) Witch hunter because I thought it would be easier to learn the game not playing as important class. And I got summoned in game pretty quickly with some 12-13 lvl premade party. Unfortunately I forgot to turn on VOIP and were unable to communicate.

Is there any way to silently run through levels? Or at least not aggroing everything you see?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Kirs posted:

Played this couple of hours yesterday at the evening, as a very popular (is it?) Witch hunter because I thought it would be easier to learn the game not playing as important class. And I got summoned in game pretty quickly with some 12-13 lvl premade party. Unfortunately I forgot to turn on VOIP and were unable to communicate.

Is there any way to silently run through levels? Or at least not aggroing everything you see?

You can skip the scattered packs that are around, as well as hiding to let a storm vermin patrol pass, but it's a combat game first and the game will randomly summon aggroed poo poo at you.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
The way to win with pubs is to get really friendly with the highlight key.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Vermintide now with joint suicide pacts.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Fans posted:

Bash doesn't work on the Packrat itself though. In fact does it work on any special? Even the Stormvermin shrug it off.

The bash as in shield charge attack doesn't stagger specials. Pushing with a shield does however stagger everything man-sized such as Stormvermin and Ratling Gunners.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Fans posted:

Vermintide now with joint suicide pacts.

This seems like an incredibly effective way for your entire team to get hosed as soon as a packmaster carries off one dude to his doom.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Dezztroy posted:

The bash as in shield charge attack doesn't stagger specials. Pushing with a shield does however stagger everything man-sized such as Stormvermin and Ratling Gunners.

Darn we need naming conventions. The bash for me is when you Right Click and then Left Click to knock things back. The Charge Attack Bash is just the Charge Attack to me.

I saw Stormvermin wander back a bit when using it, but they don't go flying like regular rats. Will have to see if Bashing a pack of Stormrats makes it so they can't swing.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
The way to win with pubs is conflagration staff with flame sword.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Vargs posted:

This seems like an incredibly effective way for your entire team to get hosed as soon as a packmaster carries off one dude to his doom.

Looks to me like a great way to augment your front line tanks heth pool. It'll also save on healing items if the medical kit still heals for 80% of your lost health, basically doubling it's utility. Only use it with competent people though.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Demiurge4 posted:

Looks to me like a great way to augment your front line tanks heth pool. It'll also save on healing items if the medical kit still heals for 80% of your lost health, basically doubling it's utility. Only use it with competent people though.

Also Bots all use the same trinkets you do, meaning you can use them as blood bags.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Just finished up a normal horn run, and I don't know what the hell just happened. Me (dwarf) and the mage were carrying grimoires, along with tomes, and we were on the rooftops by the first house on the left that you can enter. All of a sudden the mage goes flying off screen and dies instantly, which was surprising since he was inside the house...

I run outside, shield bash a rat out of my way and take a look around. Besides two normal rats in the distance there isn't anything around us, nor are there any musical cues. All of a sudden though I'm flying down into the lower levels and am instantly destroyed. Any drat idea what could have happened?

Later on we get to the horn and hide under it because gently caress effort at this point, and during this time we take out 3 globadiers, 2 stormvermin, 2 gunners, and a gutter runner. The path below opens up and after chucking an incendiary grenade to clear way out we turn the corner around the horn and are greeted by a full unit of stormvermin and two gunners. A few of us manage to get down, but I get trapped between the above at my face and the swarm behind me. I did not know the shield was that beefy against bullets! I manage to kill the gunner that spawned at my back with a shotgun blast, but the rats (the normal behind me, and the full stormvermin squad with gunner in front of me still) were just too much.

I'm afraid of what cataclysm is like!

Pastry Mistakes fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Oct 19, 2015

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Until they pick a fight with a ratling gunners :(

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Apeshit Sixfingers posted:

a short and painful road to death, generally

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I run outside, shield bash a rat out if my way and take a look around. Besides two normal rats in the distance there isn't anything around us, nor are there any musical cues. All of a sudden though I'm flying down into the lower levels and am instantly destroyed. Any drat idea what could have happened?
I've seen people flying around just before the game crashes. Usually in the big plaza just after you blow up the door in the horn.

Last night was a bit of a letdown. I joined three games, one disconnect and two crashes.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Just finished up a normal horn run, and I don't know what the hell just happened. Me (dwarf) and the mage were carrying grimoires, along with tomes, and we were on the rooftops by the first house on the left that you can enter. All of a sudden the mage goes flying off screen and dies instantly, which was surprising since he was inside the house...

I run outside, shield bash a rat out of my way and take a look around. Besides two normal rats in the distance there isn't anything around us, nor are there any musical cues. All of a sudden though I'm flying down into the lower levels and am instantly destroyed. Any drat idea what could have happened?

Later on we get to the horn and hide under it because gently caress effort at this point, and during this time we take out 3 globadiers, 2 stormvermin, 2 gunners, and a gutter runner. The path below opens up and after chucking an incendiary grenade to clear way out we turn the corner around the horn and are greeted by a full unit of stormvermin and two gunners. A few of us manage to get down, but I get trapped between the above at my face and the swarm behind me. I did not know the shield was that beefy against bullets! I manage to kill the gunner that spawned at my back with a shotgun blast, but the rats (the normal behind me, and the full stormvermin squad with gunner in front of me still) were just too much.

Cheesing on normal. Everyone sees your shame.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

I've been running the hard horn runs with grimoires pretty much all night. The group i was with decided gently caress it, hards a little too easy after 10 pretty much double grim runs so we hit up nightmare. That poo poo is fun, Yeah we all wiped alot but it was mostly to dumb poo poo after we'd got past the ogre and barrels. Nightmare seems far more fun than hard just for the sheer clusterfuck that is going on at any given time.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

I wish I could beat hard. Maybe it's the pubies I randomly party with, maybe I just suck; it will be a mystery for now.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I've beaten hard several times hiding behind a shield while other goons did all the work. Now I'm level 15 and other people think I know what I'm doing. :(

Are you guys Dodging at all? Besides sidestepping some stormvermin attacks and twitching spastically when next to an ogre, I feel that I'm not using it enough.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Pubbies are terrible, there's also a few mechanics the game doesn't bother to explain to you that are real important. Using the Guard/Push mechanic is the key to Hard Success, but you don't even need to bother with it on Normal as everything just dies to a few hits.

While the Sheild gets the most Stamina the push is real good for any class, because it's super quick to do and gives you a lot of breathing room against mobs of normal vermin. If you just try to swing down a mob of rats you'll take a few hits and the normal rats hit surprisingly hard. Use push to floor a bunch of them first and then pick off any that didn't go down or follow up with a charged swing.

For armored enemies make sure to be using Armour Piercing attacks or you'll just be lightly tickling them. You can look at your weapons in your inventory to see which ones have them.

Fat Samurai posted:

Are you guys Dodging at all? Besides sidestepping some stormvermin attacks and twitching spastically when next to an ogre, I feel that I'm not using it enough.

You can dodge a Rat Ogre swing by jumping backwards. You can dodge Stormvermin by dodging sideways. It does not work the other way around. Dodge and blocks are important if you want to get through a Rat Ogre without getting creamed.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
All I can say is thank gently caress for Steam refunds.

Seems like at it's base, the game is pretty solid and has a huge amount of potential, but in its current state I feel like it's awfully balanced and there's too many glitches and connectivity problems to be really enjoyable. Add the loading times to being constantly disconnected and it gets really frustrating.

Getting virtually nothing for failing a map (even if you get right to the end) is really lovely, especially given how long it can take to complete a mission. That's probably one of the biggest problems I have with the game, it really doesn't respect your time and can be really demoralising. It also doesn't explain anything very well and much of the time it's difficult to know what's even going on because there's so much poo poo on the screen. Getting hosed over by a special rat feels cheap a lot of the time since there doesn't seem to be any way to reliable detect them in the middle of a hoard. A lot of this probably wouldn't be as bad after I've played for a bunch of hours, but then I'm ineligible for a refund, so...

It's kind of disappointing since I loved L4D and Payday 1&2

Thankfully, all of this can be changed/fixed over time and I think it will be. I'll look at picking it up again in about 6-12 months.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

My dwarf shield has extra push range, so my games got way easier once I could start pushing packs from one side of the courtyard to the other. Stormvermin aren't so tough when you can stunlock the whole pack into a corner.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Mr Scumbag posted:

All I can say is thank gently caress for Steam refunds.

Seems like at it's base, the game is pretty solid and has a huge amount of potential, but in its current state I feel like it's awfully balanced and there's too many glitches and connectivity problems to be really enjoyable. Add the loading times to being constantly disconnected and it gets really frustrating.

Getting virtually nothing for failing a map (even if you get right to the end) is really lovely, especially given how long it can take to complete a mission. That's probably one of the biggest problems I have with the game, it really doesn't respect your time and can be really demoralising. It also doesn't explain anything very well and much of the time it's difficult to know what's even going on because there's so much poo poo on the screen. Getting hosed over by a special rat feels cheap a lot of the time since there doesn't seem to be any way to reliable detect them in the middle of a hoard. A lot of this probably wouldn't be as bad after I've played for a bunch of hours, but then I'm ineligible for a refund, so...

It's kind of disappointing since I loved L4D and Payday 1&2

Thankfully, all of this can be changed/fixed over time and I think it will be. I'll look at picking it up again in about 6-12 months.

In the top right hand corner of your screen you'll see the word BETA.

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Apart from drinking, there is absolutely nothing to do here.

Plavski posted:

Actually I don't think much will change after release.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Plavski posted:

Uh huh. I beta tested their game (after paying for it, no less) and I wasn't overly happy with the experience, so I invoked the option for a refund, with plans on checking out again down the road if it improves. I don't really see a problem with that. Don't get me wrong, I didn't expect that criticising a game on an Internet forum would result in anything but smartass retorts or aggression, but figured I'd weigh in with my opinion since it can't hurt to have a range of opinions for people who are on the fence about purchasing it.

Like I said: Solid base, huge potential, but way too many problems for me right now.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Mr Scumbag posted:

Getting hosed over by a special rat feels cheap a lot of the time since there doesn't seem to be any way to reliable detect them in the middle of a hoard.

Other than the Assassin they're all bigger and more heavily armoured than the other rats and the Assassin has glowing green claws.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Fans posted:

Other than the Assassin they're all bigger and more heavily armoured than the other rats and the Assassin has glowing green claws.

Yeah, I think figuring all of that out would come naturally after a few more hours but it's definitely harder than in any other game of this type. It's also pretty hard to tell your teammates apart from rats when it gets crowded as well. I'm betting they do something about those problems though with some kind of outline system.

I really want to like this game. It's exactly the type of game I've been looking for for a while. Like I said earlier, though, I'm pretty sure a lot of the problems I have with it will be fixed or changed in the future so I haven't given up on it.

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

Fans posted:

Excuse me, hook rats are drat near impossible to detect in a swarm.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Longshot007 posted:

Excuse me, hook rats are drat near impossible to detect in a swarm.

Look for the giant spiky hook thing they carry. I haven't ever see them lower it so you can't see it.

It is unlikely you'll spot them if you're holding a doorway before they round the corner and grab you, but that's kind of what they're meant to do.

Fans fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Oct 19, 2015

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
I don't know about the packmaster but with the assassin you can block the pounce with a well timed push. Had an assassin leap at me while shielding, get bounced and then exploded by the team's collective firepower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

DeathSandwich posted:

I'm coming to the conclusion that the Wayfarer's Trueflight Longbow is brokenly good. It does damage comparable to the WH/Dwarf crossbow while having more ammo, a faster reload, and it homes in and autoheadshots multiple rats per shot when you charge it. The thing is unequivocally great at pretty much everything: It wrecks specials and autoaims them so you don't have to, it hit's multiple shitling enemies per fire, and in the event of a swarm all you have to do is get behind the tank in the doorway and fire blindly out the door because the arrows do all the work for you. My trueflight has extended ammo as well, so I've got 40 shots per reload which lets me get super liberal with firing it off willy nilly.

It's really, really good but it has serious issues in swarm situations when specials show up. The homing is pretty dumb about picking targets, so if a gunner or globadier shows up while you're fighting a bunch of clanrats you're going to be completely unable to do poo poo about it because your arrows are going to zoom off and obliterate random clanrats instead of the thing you actually want dead.

• Locked thread