Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Something similar happened in South Dakota last year.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/15/us/south-dakota-cold-case-missing-girls/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

I get the case with the cliff but how are people otherwise just driving into lakes, and far enough off the shore they sink too deep to make it out?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Lakes are just like oceans. Some have gradual slopes, others have precipitous dropoffs into the depths.

There's a lake near my parents place that has gently sloping bottoms near the popular beaches on it's shores, but there's more than a few areas just a few feet out where it drops down to 200+ feet.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

I get the case with the cliff but how are people otherwise just driving into lakes, and far enough off the shore they sink too deep to make it out?

It also doesn't hurt that drinking and driving really did used to be a whole hell of a lot more socially acceptable and if heavy, fast objects and alcohol don't mix then adding water to the equation is like adding fuel to the fire. I'm not gonna goonsay and rage impotently about drunk driving because I think it's far more indicative of a drinking problem and the many lapses of judgement and reflex that entails rather than some consciously made moral lapse but it probably is for the better that at the very least folks might at least give it a second thought.

On a related and unnerving note, isn't there supposed to be literally hundreds of cars in the bayous surrounding houston that the city has like zero plans to investigate because it'll gently caress up their crime stats (hello david simon).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Frostwerks posted:

On a related and unnerving note, isn't there supposed to be literally hundreds of cars in the bayous surrounding houston that the city has like zero plans to investigate because it'll gently caress up their crime stats (hello david simon).

But what if they made driving into water and dying legal, just in that area? :allears:

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Charged with diving under the influence, a misdemeanor.

Nouvelle Vague
Feb 16, 2011

Endut! Hoch Hech!
Basically, if anyone disappears with their car, there's a good chance they're in the water.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

aardwolf posted:

It never occurred to me that Terry Pratchett was toning that poo poo down.

Toshers, a Rat Queen and Bazalgette's sewers play major roles in Colin Andrew McLaren's "Rattus Rex" (good luck finding a copy).

nockturne
Aug 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Frostwerks posted:

It also doesn't hurt that drinking and driving really did used to be a whole hell of a lot more socially acceptable and if heavy, fast objects and alcohol don't mix then adding water to the equation is like adding fuel to the fire. I'm not gonna goonsay and rage impotently about drunk driving because I think it's far more indicative of a drinking problem and the many lapses of judgement and reflex that entails rather than some consciously made moral lapse but it probably is for the better that at the very least folks might at least give it a second thought.

This? (Scroll through for the photos):

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Sonar-pictures-reveal-more-than-100-vehicles-sunk-5474530.php

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
I hope I'm not too late for polar tales! I just found this article about how we discovered the cure for scurvy in the 18th century and then discarded it entirely for a while, just in time to really gently caress over Nares, Scott and Shackleton and co in the 20th century:

quote:

Scurvy had been the leading killer of sailors on long ocean voyages; some ships experienced losses as high as 90% of their men. With the introduction of lemon juice, the British suddenly held a massive strategic advantage over their rivals, one they put to good use in the Napoleonic wars. British ships could now stay out on blockade duty for two years at a time, strangling French ports even as the merchantmen who ferried citrus to the blockading ships continued to die of scurvy, prohibited from touching the curative themselves.

The success of lemon juice was so total that much of Sicily was soon transformed into a lemon orchard for the British fleet. Scurvy continued to be a vexing problem in other navies, who were slow to adopt citrus as a cure, as well as in the Merchant Marine, but for the Royal Navy it had become a disease of the past.

By the middle of the 19th century, however, advances in technology were reducing the need for any kind of scurvy preventative. Steam power had shortened travel times considerably from the age of sail, so that it was rare for sailors other than whalers to be months at sea without fresh food. Citrus juice was a legal requirement on all British vessels by 1867, but in practical terms it was becoming superfluous.

So when the Admiralty began to replace lemon juice with an ineffective substitute in 1860, it took a long time for anyone to notice. In that year, naval authorities switched procurement from Mediterranean lemons to West Indian limes. The motives for this were mainly colonial - it was better to buy from British plantations than to continue importing lemons from Europe. Confusion in naming didn't help matters. Both "lemon" and "lime" were in use as a collective term for citrus, and though European lemons and sour limes are quite different fruits, their Latin names (citrus medica, var. limonica and citrus medica, var. acida) suggested that they were as closely related as green and red apples. Moreover, as there was a widespread belief that the antiscorbutic properties of lemons were due to their acidity, it made sense that the more acidic Caribbean limes would be even better at fighting the disease.

In this, the Navy was deceived. Tests on animals would later show that fresh lime juice has a quarter of the scurvy-fighting power of fresh lemon juice. And the lime juice being served to sailors was not fresh, but had spent long periods of time in settling tanks open to the air, and had been pumped through copper tubing. A 1918 animal experiment using representative samples of lime juice from the navy and merchant marine showed that the 'preventative' often lacked any antiscorbutic power at all.

By the 1870s, therefore, most British ships were sailing without protection against scurvy. Only speed and improved nutrition on land were preventing sailors from getting sick.

We discovered the cure again mostly by luck:

quote:

They had a theory of the disease that made sense, fit the evidence, but was utterly wrong. They had arrived at the idea of an undetectable substance in their food, present in trace quantities, with a direct causative relationship to scurvy, but they thought of it in terms of a poison to avoid. In one sense, the additional leap required for a correct understanding was very small. In another sense, it would have required a kind of Copernican revolution in their thinking.

It was pure luck that led to the actual discovery of vitamin C. Axel Holst and Theodor Frolich had been studying beriberi (another deficiency disease) in pigeons, and when they decided to switch to a mammal model, they serendipitously chose guinea pigs, the one animal besides human beings and monkeys that requires vitamin C in its diet. Fed a diet of pure grain, the animals showed no signs of beriberi, but quickly sickened and died of something that closely resembled human scurvy.

I encourage everyone to read the full article, it gets into some philosophy of science grit that really emphasizes how these changes in thinking rest on the blade of a knife. We really messed up that time.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

That was fascinating, thank you. And thanks to all the recommendations of the worst journey in the world, it is really honestly fantastic. Not only the journey but Cherry-Garrard himself, who is such an amazing proto-goon, and a generally nice man.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
A couple of pages back someone linked to Skip Hollandsworth's crime stories, which lead me to the trail of the Black Widow. Woman climbing the ladder of high society has three husbands and a friend die under mysterious circumstances. All along it's unclear if she really had anything to do with those deaths, and she's pretty much bullied out of town. However, later she keeps reappearing and conning rich men out of their money, only to grow more and more unhinged as she switches to a different m/o.

1987 http://www.dmagazine.com/publications/d-magazine/1987/may/the-black-widow?single=1
1989 http://www.dmagazine.com/publications/d-magazine/1989/may/whatever-happened-to-the-black-widow-sandra-bridewell
2004 http://www.dallasobserver.com/news/return-of-the-black-widow-6398345
2004 http://www.dallasobserver.com/news/seductress-of-the-saints-6383321
2007 http://www.dallasobserver.com/news/fall-of-the-black-widow-6398348
2008 http://www.dallasobserver.com/news/black-widow-pleads-guilty-6406079

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

WaywardWoodwose posted:

I hate it when people scoff at the bloody Mary thing, because while I don't believe in ghosts, it is based on a real optical illusion, so people do see "something". Just not a ghost.
It's something like this

i dont loving like this

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

WaywardWoodwose posted:

I hate it when people scoff at the bloody Mary thing, because while I don't believe in ghosts, it is based on a real optical illusion, so people do see "something". Just not a ghost.
It's something like this

woa

everyone gets all melty... yuck hahaha

cool though, thanks for sharing

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organ_harvesting_from_Falun_Gong_practitioners_in_China

quote:

Falun Gong is a Chinese qigong discipline involving meditation and a moral philosophy rooted in Buddhist tradition. The practice rose to popularity in the 1990s in China, and by 1998, Chinese government sources estimated that as many as 70 million people had taken up the practice.[23][24] Perceiving that Falun Gong was a potential threat to the Party’s authority and ideology, Communist Party leader Jiang Zemin initiated a nationwide campaign to eradicate the group in July 1999.

Since 1999, Falun Gong practitioners have been the targets of systematic torture, mass imprisonment, forced labour, and psychiatric abuse, all with the aim of forcing them to recant their beliefs.

quote:

Reports of organ harvesting from Falun Gong practitioners and other political prisoners in China have raised increasing concern in the international community in recent years. According to the reports, political prisoners, mainly Falun Gong practitioners, are being executed "on demand" in order to provide organs to recipients. The organ harvesting is said to be taking place both as a result of the Chinese Communist Party‍ '​s persecution of Falun Gong and because of the financial incentives available to the institutions and individuals involved in the trade.

quote:

These concerns resurfaced in 2001, when a Chinese military doctor testified before U.S. Congress that he had taken part in organ extraction operations from executed prisoners, some of whom were not yet dead.[15] In December 2005, China's Deputy Health Minister Huang Jiefu acknowledged that up to 95% of transplant organs came from executed prisoners and promised steps to prevent abuse.[16][17] Huang reiterated these claims in 2008 and 2010, stating that over 90% of organ transplants from deceased donors are sourced from prisoners.[18] In 2006 the World Medical Association demanded that China cease harvesting organs from prisoners, who are not deemed able to properly consent.[19] In 2014, Huang Jiefu said that reliance on organ harvesting from death row inmates was declining, while simultaneously defending the practice of using prisoners’ organs in the transplantation system.[20][21]

quote:

Wait periods for organ transplants in China are significantly shorter than elsewhere in the world. According to a 2006 post on the China International Transplantation Assistance Center website, "it may take only one month to receive a liver transplantation , the maximum waiting time being two months. As for the kidney transplantation , it may take one week to find a suitable donor,the maximum time being one month...If something wrong with the donor's organ happens, the patient will have the option to be offered another organ donor and have the operation again in one week."[48] Other organ transplant centers similarly advertised average wait times of one or two weeks for liver and kidney transplants.[13][49][50] This is consistent with accounts of organ transplant recipients, who report receiving organs a matter of days or weeks.[8][51][52] By comparison, median wait times for a kidney in developed countries such as the United States, Canada and Great Britain typically range from two years to over four years, despite the fact that these countries have millions of registered organ donors and established systems of organ matching and allocation.[53][54][55]

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

I'm having trouble finding a source from the time, but all of those plastinated body exhibits that were the rage a few years ago were being looked into as probably being bodies of falun dafa prisoners.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
One of his press releases says that he got an interim injunction against the German magazine Der Spiegel to prevent them making that claim, so that's probably why it's not showing up in Google anymore.
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...s-55826502.html

quote:

Gunther von Hagens' BODY WORLDS declares categorically that it has never used
bodies of executed Chinese prisoners, in its anatomical exhibitions of real
human bodies. After Der Spiegel, a German publication, reported the use of
executed Chinese bodies in the BODY WORLDS exhibition, an interim injunction
( http://www.koerperwelten.de/en/pages/Pressemeldungen_allgemein.asp#Spiegel )
was taken against Der Spiegel. In accordance with Germany's laws, Der Spiegel
is now restricted from claiming, among other things, either literally or by
implication, that "Gunther von Hagens is exhibiting the corpses of executed
Chinese prisoners in the BODY WORLDS exhibition." According to the court, if
the interim injunction is violated, Der Spiegel must pay Dr. von Hagens a fine
of 250,000 Euros. "I have never plastinated the bodies of executed persons,
for, based on my ethical convictions, I disapprove of using such bodies for
anatomical purposes," Dr. von Hagens says.
It's possible that other news outlets aren't really investigating it because they're worried about legal repercussions. In any event, he's definitely used stolen bodies in the past.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Less scary or unnerving than abjectly depressing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/18/nyregion/dying-alone-in-new-york-city.html?src=longreads

What happens to your body and estate if you die alone and unnoticed.

Infyrno
Jul 24, 2003

The Duke

Vladimir Poutine posted:

One of his press releases says that he got an interim injunction against the German magazine Der Spiegel to prevent them making that claim, so that's probably why it's not showing up in Google anymore.

It's possible that other news outlets aren't really investigating it because they're worried about legal repercussions. In any event, he's definitely used stolen bodies in the past.

Wow, there was a movie with this plot. To get the exhibit going they killed people so they could immediately plasticize them and not lose any color or something like that. I just don't see what the hurry is, where you would need to resort to stolen/executed people. Organs are life and death to the person/family but an exhibit is an exhibit.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Yeah, I just remember a reference to it in an NY Times article and it being the basis of at least one Chicago Tribune article in a year, but not the right search terms--I don't think either of them scrub like that. They may have all been opinion articles, however, and I'm not finding it with falun gong falun dong or falun dafa so maybe my brain is broken and it was red eye or something.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It doesn't justify the abuse but I've heard that Falun Gong is one of those cults that takes money in exchange for the promise of special powers like Scientology and Happy Science (not sure how big these guys are compared to the others but I found out about them when I walked by a branch in my city, wtf)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Tibor posted:

Yeah, that's a fair point.

Edit: here's an interesting Longform article that ties together the idea of women disappearing and campers getting done in:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/magazine/2014/12/30/how-could-woman-just-vanish/CkjirwQF7RGnw4VkAl6TWM/story.html

This just got an update last Friday, they found her remains.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/10/16/remains-appalachian-trail-hiker-found-maine/bX4Fna5A2AGkUeQjCUKbIJ/story.html

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

There's a lake near my parents place that has gently sloping bottoms near the popular beaches on it's shores, but there's more than a few areas just a few feet out where it drops down to 200+ feet.

Just reading this has made my dick pack up and move to the inside of my body probably permanently and I have restless leg syndrome now.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

BattleMaster posted:

It doesn't justify the abuse but I've heard that Falun Gong is one of those cults that takes money in exchange for the promise of special powers like Scientology and Happy Science (not sure how big these guys are compared to the others but I found out about them when I walked by a branch in my city, wtf)
From what I've heard it's not really centralized, so it can't operate like that sort of scam. It has been used by individuals to scam rich idiots out of huge amounts of money, like feng shui and yoga though.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

Just reading this has made my dick pack up and move to the inside of my body probably permanently and I have restless leg syndrome now.
I'm generally not one to mock people's fears, but really? It's a lake; it's not like it can sneak up on you when you're in bed and make you slightly more wet than you were expecting to be.

Inactivist
Dec 27, 2005
We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl

High Protein posted:

A couple of pages back someone linked to Skip Hollandsworth's crime stories, which lead me to the trail of the Black Widow. Woman climbing the ladder of high society has three husbands and a friend die under mysterious circumstances. All along it's unclear if she really had anything to do with those deaths, and she's pretty much bullied out of town. However, later she keeps reappearing and conning rich men out of their money, only to grow more and more unhinged as she switches to a different m/o.

1987 http://www.dmagazine.com/publications/d-magazine/1987/may/the-black-widow?single=1
1989 http://www.dmagazine.com/publications/d-magazine/1989/may/whatever-happened-to-the-black-widow-sandra-bridewell
2004 http://www.dallasobserver.com/news/return-of-the-black-widow-6398345
2004 http://www.dallasobserver.com/news/seductress-of-the-saints-6383321
2007 http://www.dallasobserver.com/news/fall-of-the-black-widow-6398348
2008 http://www.dallasobserver.com/news/black-widow-pleads-guilty-6406079

Thank you for this, it was absolutely fascinating. I have to admit I would love to know how she managed to charm so many people out of their money, although I guess that sort of thing is impossible now with google. It's almost perfect irony that she buys into prosperity gospel bullshit at the end.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Terrible Opinions posted:

From what I've heard it's not really centralized, so it can't operate like that sort of scam. It has been used by individuals to scam rich idiots out of huge amounts of money, like feng shui and yoga though.

Feng Shui is complete idiot poo poo (outside of sometimes making rooms or buildings look pleasing) but yoga's a pretty legit exercise in term of improving/maintaining physical health and has proven empirical data supporting it as a good addition to standard mental health practices. Unless you just mean it's been used as a vessel to rip people off which is totally true, and not just that yoga itself is bullshit.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Feng Shui is complete idiot poo poo (outside of sometimes making rooms or buildings look pleasing) but yoga's a pretty legit exercise in term of improving/maintaining physical health and has proven empirical data supporting it as a good addition to standard mental health practices. Unless you just mean it's been used as a vessel to rip people off which is totally true, and not just that yoga itself is bullshit.

Feng Shui does have a measurable positive affect in that a well arranged room that allows light in and is pleasing to the eye can elevate a person's mood. There's nothing "mystical" about it and it costs way too much, but it's not a total sham. Feng Shui is just Interior Design with a fancier name.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Esroc posted:

Feng Shui does have a measurable positive affect in that a well arranged room that allows light in and is pleasing to the eye can elevate a person's mood. There's nothing "mystical" about it and it costs way too much, but it's not a total sham. Feng Shui is just Interior Design with a fancier name.

While it's true that it can lead to more pleasing interiors, and those can affect someones mood, Feng Shui is entirely based on mystical bullshit.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Inactivist posted:

Thank you for this, it was absolutely fascinating. I have to admit I would love to know how she managed to charm so many people out of their money, although I guess that sort of thing is impossible now with google. It's almost perfect irony that she buys into prosperity gospel bullshit at the end.

Absolute pro-click. Everyone should read this series of articles.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

I'm generally not one to mock people's fears, but really? It's a lake; it's not like it can sneak up on you when you're in bed and make you slightly more wet than you were expecting to be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thalassophobia

Its more the idea of scary things lurking the depths that you cant see (because its so deep).. stories of shark attacks and even nessie sightings don't help

I've been scuba diving in crystal clear coral reefs but man nothing scares the poo poo out of me like vast, dark bodies of water.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thalassophobia

Its more the idea of scary things lurking the depths that you cant see (because its so deep).. stories of shark attacks and even nessie sightings don't help

I've been scuba diving in crystal clear coral reefs but man nothing scares the poo poo out of me like vast, dark bodies of water.

So it's like racism, but for oceans?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

It's basically crazy-rear end apocalypse Buddhism. The world is doomed because the sheeple are dumb and unenlightened. Signs of lacking spiritual enlightenment might include horrible crimes like homosexuality or interracial marriage. Aliens are walking the earth in disguise, and Supreme Enlightened Leader Li can totally fly (but due to his humble nature refrains from doing this in public, of course). If you get sick, it's divine punishment for your poor karma. Also, Western medicine is the devil, but traditional Chinese medicine can cure everything.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Kaizoku posted:

I'm having trouble finding a source from the time, but all of those plastinated body exhibits that were the rage a few years ago were being looked into as probably being bodies of falun dafa prisoners.

There was the 'Bodies' exhibition in NYC in 2009 that had a sign up RIGHT AT THE END saying that the bodies used were of Chinese prisoners. I was wandering round thinking it weird that when you remove the skin from a body, we all look Chinese.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodies:_The_Exhibition

This exhibition was not affiliated with Gunter Von Hagens, who I think has a pretty big waiting list of volunteers.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Rondette posted:

I was wandering round thinking it weird that when you remove the skin from a body, we all look Chinese.

I thought that only applied to the Finns?

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Lakes are just like oceans. Some have gradual slopes, others have precipitous dropoffs into the depths.

This reminds me of going to the Welsh slate quarries with school. Some of them have filled with water and because of the amount of dissolved minerals etc. in the water we were told that the human body was denser than the water so if you fell in you would just straight up sink and drown immediately. That was rather freaky when you were on a cliff over the water with a rather flimsy fence..

edit: looking it up we were either fed a line of bullshit or I'm remembering wrong. Far more likely dangers: Very steep sides, very deep, shady and so very cold on a hot day so if you dive in you get cold water shock and drown; also unpredictable what's underneath the surface. In any case, I still remember being pretty drat scared looking down considering how deep it was.

NLJP has a new favorite as of 13:22 on Oct 19, 2015

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Aesop Poprock posted:

I was just meaning that it was used to fleece people. I don't know enough about Feng Shui's actual practice or Falun Gong to make a judgement call, and yeah yoga seems to help people with healthy living.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

lenoon posted:

That was fascinating, thank you. And thanks to all the recommendations of the worst journey in the world, it is really honestly fantastic. Not only the journey but Cherry-Garrard himself, who is such an amazing proto-goon, and a generally nice man.

I read that last winter and found myself frequently daydreaming of being able to take a TARDIS and give him some warm blankets and hot food and maybe a hug. You're right, he's just genuinely nice, and has such interesting things to say about everyone on the expedition.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Comrade Koba posted:

It's basically crazy-rear end apocalypse Buddhism.

A not unknown sub sect of buddhism! Millenarianismn is a very common feature of both Christianity and Buddhism.

Josef bugman has a new favorite as of 16:12 on Oct 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Thanks for posting this update!