Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Guy A. Person posted:

"what actually does happen if you eat a second devil fruit" and "where exactly do these drat things even show up after their previous user dies".

Both have already been explained. You explode and a nearby fruit becomes a devil fruit respectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Didn't CP9 answer the two devil fruit question during Enies Lobby? If you eat two, you explode - the Marines or World Government tested it and that's that. If you want a reason, I assume Jyabura's explanation of the two devil's fighting won't satisfy many, but it's presumably just down to the two being incompatible in how they'd change the body and leave it at that.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I would accept that they're naturally-occurring, and you know they work in certain ways, but you don't necessarily understand everything about them. Kind of like gravity.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

tsob posted:

Didn't CP9 answer the two devil fruit question during Enies Lobby? If you eat two, you explode - the Marines or World Government tested it and that's that. If you want a reason, I assume Jyabura's explanation of the two devil's fighting won't satisfy many, but it's presumably just down to the two being incompatible in how they'd change the body and leave it at that.

Blueno's response to Jabra indicates that there's a little more to it than that. I'd assume whenever we get the reveal of Blackbeard there will be a bit of an explanation as to the two devil fruit deal.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Blueno's response to Jabra indicates that there's a little more to it than that. I'd assume whenever we get the reveal of Blackbeard there will be a bit of an explanation as to the two devil fruit deal.

We saw the effect in Punk Hazard. Smiley ate the fruit and exploded immediately then the power got transferred to another fruit nearby.

But yeah we'll be finding all the details when we eventually meet Vegapunk, Oda already stated that's gonna happen in an SBS early on in the series run. It's actually kinda hard to think of a scenario Vegapunk would just dump out all of that information to them though, and I doubt he's the type of guy Luffy or any Strawhat would threaten for info honestly based on everything we've heard about him.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Asuron posted:

We saw the effect in Punk Hazard. Smiley ate the fruit and exploded immediately then the power got transferred to another fruit nearby.

But yeah we'll be finding all the details when we eventually meet Vegapunk, Oda already stated that's gonna happen in an SBS early on in the series run. It's actually kinda hard to think of a scenario Vegapunk would just dump out all of that information to them though, and I doubt he's the type of guy Luffy or any Strawhat would threaten for info honestly based on everything we've heard about him.

Smiley didn't really eat a second Devil Fruit though, from what I remember. Just some 'candy' that was meant to turn it into gas.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Smiley didn't really eat a second Devil Fruit though, from what I remember. Just some 'candy' that was meant to turn it into gas.

My memory is honestly a bit fuzzy around that whole thing, so you're probably right. That's my biggest problem with Punk Hazard, it starts out so strong and then it's just constant running from gas for so many chapters without much really going on and it's really hard to remember details about it other than the really important moments.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Asuron posted:

My memory is honestly a bit fuzzy around that whole thing, so you're probably right. That's my biggest problem with Punk Hazard, it starts out so strong and then it's just constant running from gas for so many chapters without much really going on and it's really hard to remember details about it other than the really important moments.

I guess you could say that the arc had so much running away from gas that it... ran out of gas.

Shut up I know people usually say "run out of steam" more often than gas but I needed to make the pun work!!!

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I guess you could say that the arc had so much running away from gas that it... ran out of gas.

Shut up I know people usually say "run out of steam" more often than gas but I needed to make the pun work!!!

:mediocre:

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
pun hazard

Punk Hazard is also my least favorite stage in PW3 because you spend most of the level running away from gas. so maybe accuracy isn't always a good thing.

Caesar is fun to play as though even if I hate his annoying laugh. Ryusei Nakao says GAS really well when you do a team up special attack.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Devil fruits are peoples dreams, stolen from them and encased in fruits, to make people docile and easier to control. The devil fruit is reborn on the death of the eater in a nearby fruit in order to keep the dream from returning to people. People who eat them cannot swim because that (was supposed to) make it much harder for the fruit to disseminate out into the wider world. The world nobles probably still have most of them locked up, but time makes a fool of even the best plans.

Devil fruits are real "dreams" unlike the shallow and fragile things (some) people hold to now, and you can't have more than one dream so if you eat two you have problems. Blackbeared can eat two (and eventually three when he gets Dragons fruit) because he's the biggest god damned phony ever.

I'm tired nanomachines nanomachines nanomachines

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Devil Fruits will probably be the trapped essence of the ~Elite Mega Warriors~ of the Void Century. If People can be turned into Toys that are presumably immortal then why cant there be one that turns them into fruit?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Given the world of One Piece, Devil Fruits are more likely to be some incarnation of Will than either dreams or souls.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Ryaomon posted:

Punk Hazard is also my least favorite stage in PW3 because you spend most of the level running away from gas. so maybe accuracy isn't always a good thing.
You mean it isnt the alarms considering the gas itself is hardly a threat.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I always thought the fruits were weapons and a final gently caress you to the World Government left by their ancient enemies/Will of D guys during the Void Century as a way for people to continue the fight.

That said, being able to feed some guy's dream about a dog to a gun is totally One Piece to a tee.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Gyges posted:

Given the world of One Piece, Devil Fruits are more likely to be some incarnation of Will than either dreams or souls.

I read this as there being some guy named Will who just keeps reincarnating into devil fruits after he dies due to getting eaten. It was very strange.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Kegslayer posted:

I always thought the fruits were weapons and a final gently caress you to the World Government left by their ancient enemies/Will of D guys during the Void Century as a way for people to continue the fight.

That said, being able to feed some guy's dream about a dog to a gun is totally One Piece to a tee.

Almost like the "D" in "Will of D" stands for Devil (ie- enemies of God) and the devil fruits are named that because it's their powers that they used to fight the world government.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

And then Monkey Devil "Monkey King Goku" Luffy realizes that his shenanigans and extendo-powers were all just a Journey to the West metaphor all along.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Crazyeyes posted:

Almost like the "D" in "Will of D" stands for Devil (ie- enemies of God) and the devil fruits are named that because it's their powers that they used to fight the world government.

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if this was actually the non-magical truth behind the name of the Will of D and the Devil Fruits. How the Devil Fruits work could be an entirely different matter altogether though.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Ryaomon posted:

I'm still a little disappointed that Nami didn't just summon up a huge wind using her equipment to disperse the gas towards the sea. After Law cut the top off a mountain I was fully expecting she would and that it'd be followed by one or two of the other Hats doing something else similarly momentous in nature just to really rub in how over-powered the characters had become post-timeskip and show Ceasar how hosed he was and what kind of people he was going up against.

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 19, 2015

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
If Brook ate a second fruit before he died, would he have two powers when he comes back to life?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mraagvpeine posted:

If Brook ate a second fruit before he died, would he have two powers when he comes back to life?

If his first fruit just returned his soul to his body after he died, but he blew up eating the second devil fruit, would he control the various chunks of his exploded body?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Ryaomon posted:

Both have already been explained. You explode and a nearby fruit becomes a devil fruit respectively.

the whole "nearest fruit becomes a devil fruit" thing is actually retarded

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

tbp posted:

There's probably something more to it since Caesar had a whole bag of apples on a cart and it wasn't the one closest to Smiley that turned into a devil fruit.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

tbp posted:

it is but it is actually rad that it is some retarded thing like that instead of "it regrows from the magic tree at the heart of mariejois"

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i'm 90% positive vegapunk will explain devil fruits through wavelengths or something

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

One Piece isn't Hunter x Hunter, I don't think we're going to get in depth insane explanations of how these made up systems work. I do think we'll get the final pieces with Vegapunk though. What we do know has been pretty clearly explained, so I don't understand why people have all this confusion over it. We know when a devil fruit user dies, the spirit of that devil fruit goes to possess a nearby fruit. It's why Burgess was carrying around a ton of fruit. We've seen this happen. It's probably why Devil Fruits are out in the world, once they leave Mariejois, or whatever. It's all really clearly explained. I seriously don't get why people are confused about this stuff...but then I remember most people read scanlations, which probably doesn't help with reading comprehension.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

if a random fruit in the world turned into a devil fruit instead of a near-by fruit it would be 1000x better. i don't know why though

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

oddium posted:

if a random fruit in the world turned into a devil fruit instead of a near-by fruit it would be 1000x better. i don't know why though

You are wrong and bad. The whole point of this is the Blackbeard pirates figured out how to 'game the system'...and that's why they're freaking everyone out. It thematically fits within One Piece, actually.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Guy A. Person posted:

it is but it is actually rad that it is some retarded thing like that instead of "it regrows from the magic tree at the heart of mariejois"

Agreed.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Space-Bird posted:

One Piece isn't Hunter x Hunter,

Actually haki is just enhancement nen. Devil fruit are conjurations like the items in greed island.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Space-Bird posted:

You are wrong and bad. The whole point of this is the Blackbeard pirates figured out how to 'game the system'...and that's why they're freaking everyone out. It thematically fits within One Piece, actually.

so doflamingo just wandered round marineford after the war to find the fire fruit before the marines?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Jose posted:

so doflamingo just wandered round marineford after the war to find the fire fruit before the marines?

Maybe some marine found it, and Doffy got Sugar to toy the marine and took the fruit?

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Jose posted:

Actually that's a pretty good point. Doflamingo was at Marineford when Ace died. He also knows a lot about Devilfruits, he employed Caesar, was an arms dealer, and was supplying fake devil fruits to Kaidou. It actually makes sense that he thought to snatch up Ace's fire fruit.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Space-Bird posted:

Actually that's a pretty good point. Doflamingo was at Marineford when Ace died. He also knows a lot about Devilfruits, he employed Caesar, was an arms dealer, and was supplying fake devil fruits to Kaidou. It actually makes sense that he thought to snatch up Ace's fire fruit.

Didn't he just get it in time for the tournament that took place 2 years after Ace died?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Gyges posted:

Didn't he just get it in time for the tournament that took place 2 years after Ace died?

It indicated that. All things considered there's a lot of possibilities for how he got it. The Mera Mera is apparently an Orange, so it's possible it just ended up in one of the storage buildings or even the storage of one of the pirates that were there, and it took awhile for it to be unearthed. It's not like the fruits themselves show off that they're magic except for looking weird; the Mera Mera showing up wouldn't have burned all the other oranges or whatever to a crisp. so the Mera Mera just ended up on someone's ship, and they sailed off. A few days or weeks later someone found it in their hold. Maybe they already had a Devil Fruit or maybe they just didn't want to use one (Which isn't necessarily uncommon, see Zoro.), so they sold it off, etc. etc. it's on the market for Joker to eventually get ahold of.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I hope they get to Vegapunk and are like "we gotta know about devil fruits" and hes just like idk I just found them arent they cool?? Check out this sweet robot I made.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Space-Bird posted:

yeah it fits one piece's theme of mysteries being disappointing once they're explained

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Space-Bird posted:

If it is indeed a case of "fruit within the vicinity becomes the new DF" then I'm surprised the Marines weren't prepping a fruit themselves in order to get the fire element fruit on their side when Ace died.

Actually maybe they did, but because he escaped from the platform and made it to the edge of the island then another random fruit got it instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

oddium posted:

yeah it fits one piece's theme of mysteries being disappointing once they're explained
Why do you think Luffy got mad when Ussop asked about One Piece? He knows the answer will inevitably be lame after all the buildup.

But seriously, what's disappointing about discovering how things act? I don't get it. I think it's fascinating thinking about the implications and stuff. Or did you just not want the subject to ever be mentioned?