Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Delacroix posted:

In the case of sparks, I suspect some people are using scripts to rapid fire low charge revivr shots because it's relatively wasteful fully charging a shot when 120 hp characters can be downed with two slightly charged shots in quick succession. The gun is so unhinged I don't think any other game would contemplate implementing the revivr in its state.

That's not how the charging on it works. The damage/revive on it scales near linearly, maxing out at 120 (or was it 130?) damage on a fully charged headshot. A body shot only does half damage, and barely charged shots are just chipping for 10-20 damage. What I have seen is people opening with a fully charged shot and using scripted rapid fire to clean up if it doesn't kill, but that's a world of difference from downing 120hp characters with two slightly charged shots.

Scripting on the REVIVR is definitely an issue and should be investigated in my opinion, but the damage on it as it stands isn't terribly out of line otherwise. I'm told it's hilarious to watch someone get chain revived with minimum strength shots though, most players can't finish the guy fast enough before he's back up but he's also too weak to not die immediately again.

Jst0rm posted:

I could not get into sawbonez. I don't think his med packs are that great. Aura with a well placed med bay is the best healer.

Sawbonez should be treated as a fragging class first, medic second. He's got above average gun selection and health and his spot heals are strong, though his self heal is weak. Aura is just too reliant on her healing station to be consistently good, especially with the weird bullshit I haven't entirely figured out resulting in healing stations getting instakilled by explosions that shouldn't have done enough damage to do so, sometimes even through walls. Without that healing station Aura is pitiably weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

isndl posted:

That's not how the charging on it works. The damage/revive on it scales near linearly, maxing out at 120 (or was it 130?) damage on a fully charged headshot. A body shot only does half damage, and barely charged shots are just chipping for 10-20 damage. What I have seen is people opening with a fully charged shot and using scripted rapid fire to clean up if it doesn't kill, but that's a world of difference from downing 120hp characters with two slightly charged shots.

Scripting on the REVIVR is definitely an issue and should be investigated in my opinion, but the damage on it as it stands isn't terribly out of line otherwise. I'm told it's hilarious to watch someone get chain revived with minimum strength shots though, most players can't finish the guy fast enough before he's back up but he's also too weak to not die immediately again.

Without seeing the scripts for myself, the time interval between shots by sparks players seem really low. It's difficult to infer from observation because the revivr charges quickly. On using the revivr myself I still stand by my previous post:

Delacroix posted:

spam slightly charged shots aiming for the head or rush lone players with a charged shot and follow up with the empire 9.

if I bought sparks and eyeballed the meter properly by ADSing (since I mostly hipfire with it) I could probably gauge exactly how much charge I'm using. Damage breakdown logs like in CSS or Rainbow 6 siege would help. By habit I don't click and release near-instantly revivr shots at all so what I constitute as low charge and slightly charged shots is likely higher than what other people go by.

It's unlikely tweaking the damage alone would be a satisfactory fix, it's a ridiculous weapon to balance. The TF2 sniper rifle has bolt cycling and a scope charge delay, maybe the revivr needs tweaking in that direction.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

I'm skeptical that anyone is using a macro with sparks. When the REVIVR was bugged to do objective damage I had no trouble pumping out minimum charge shots with the good ol index finger. Diablo 2 trained me well.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Delacroix posted:

Without seeing the scripts for myself, the time interval between shots by sparks players seem really low. It's difficult to infer from observation because the revivr charges quickly. On using the revivr myself I still stand by my previous post:

if I bought sparks and eyeballed the meter properly by ADSing (since I mostly hipfire with it) I could probably gauge exactly how much charge I'm using. Damage breakdown logs like in CSS or Rainbow 6 siege would help. By habit I don't click and release near-instantly revivr shots at all so what I constitute as low charge and slightly charged shots is likely higher than what other people go by.

It's unlikely tweaking the damage alone would be a satisfactory fix, it's a ridiculous weapon to balance. The TF2 sniper rifle has bolt cycling and a scope charge delay, maybe the revivr needs tweaking in that direction.

My rough guess is 0.33s for a minimum charge shot, assuming Quick Charge. With a script it's sorta like shooting a Blishlock, except you don't have the crazy rear end spread which is the Blishlock's biggest weak point so that alone probably makes it better, not to mention you literally have infinite shots since you don't seem to start draining the battery until after you're moving beyond the minimum charge. Without a script it's not really a problem since the timing is tight and releasing early means you just burned a lot of time, but with scripts in play it's probably a little too strong.

Charged shot followed by Empire-9 is totally fine in my opinion. Switching weapons means you're not ready to instantly revive another player after killing one, firing a regular gun means you start to feel the pressure of magazine size and ammo supply the longer you stay alive. At long ranges you might not be able to clean up someone with bullet spam, since you need to deal with spread and damage falloff.

If I was trying to fix it I'd probably start with some amount of spread after each shot to encourage charging instead of spamming, and possibly a delay before recharging begins now that they've fixed Quick Charge causing extra battery drain. It's not the damage that's a problem, it's the pinpoint accuracy that is meant to enable those long range revives being used to spam shots on enemies that becomes a problem.

Sudo Echo posted:

I'm skeptical that anyone is using a macro with sparks. When the REVIVR was bugged to do objective damage I had no trouble pumping out minimum charge shots with the good ol index finger. Diablo 2 trained me well.

I've seen at least one player using it in action, and just the other day a guy I play with regularly was telling me on Teamspeak about his experience with it after he finally put some time into using his Razer mouse software to set it up.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

To be honest, I can't really say much on Sparks. Never even thought of her once her free rotation passed. Then again, I always tended to slightly... what's the word... beefier classes? If memory serves, I'm rocking Fletcher/Arty/Fragger, with Fragger's spot being a designated "Get XP with this merc in the squad" slot.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I 'default' to Vassili/Fletcher/Aura these days, but that's because I hate being slow. Proxy has only just recently made way for Fletcher.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
Fragger/Vasili/Bushwhacker is my loadout these days with Vasili being the flex option for mission objectives. I recently picked up an Arty card with drilled chopper and explodeydendron which is probably the best combination of perks I've ever seen on one card. I've been using him quite frequently on EV defense maps and maps where sniping is difficult. That Arty card also has the BR-16 which used to be trash but is now probably one of the best guns in the game.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

isndl posted:

I've seen at least one player using it in action, and just the other day a guy I play with regularly was telling me on Teamspeak about his experience with it after he finally put some time into using his Razer mouse software to set it up.

What did he say about it? Since they fixed the minimum charge shot battery drain it's a really ineffective way to play her. Pre firing and double taps are all you really need.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Sudo Echo posted:

What did he say about it? Since they fixed the minimum charge shot battery drain it's a really ineffective way to play her. Pre firing and double taps are all you really need.

His overall impression was that it's stupidly strong and needed to be fixed. It's just too good as a cleanup option after an initial shot that doesn't kill, where normally you're encouraged to switch weapons.

He was also the one laughing his rear end off chain reviving some poor newbie with the weak shots. Didn't have to do anything, just stand there holding fire on the guy's body and watch those badges roll in. I asked him how much battery it was using and he said zero - it seems like it's using so little that it'll replenish itself before you even start the next shot.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Maybe I'm just bad at this game, but it does seem like there are more Sparks snipers holding down entire lanes by themselves as they bunny jump like a lunatic. Granted I've never had instant pixel-perfect aim, but I can't hold a candle to these guys.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

isndl posted:

His overall impression was that it's stupidly strong and needed to be fixed. It's just too good as a cleanup option after an initial shot that doesn't kill, where normally you're encouraged to switch weapons.

He was also the one laughing his rear end off chain reviving some poor newbie with the weak shots. Didn't have to do anything, just stand there holding fire on the guy's body and watch those badges roll in. I asked him how much battery it was using and he said zero - it seems like it's using so little that it'll replenish itself before you even start the next shot.

I gotta ask, when was this? There was a patch that significantly increased the battery drain when spamming min charge shots. They kind of hosed it up again with the latest change that reduced the battery drain with quick charge and reduced the cool down when it runs out. It's not as ridiculous as it was originally but it's close. Totally unnecessary fiddling but that's SD balance for ya.

Sparks is a high skill cap merc up there with Vasilli so it's hard to balance her for both pubs and comp play. Usually SD sides with the comp players but there's always exceptions like Phantom.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can someone give me a good and honest review on this game? Everything I read seems nice, but I got burned on Evolve, and I'm a bit wary of poo poo now a days.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Sudo Echo posted:

I gotta ask, when was this? There was a patch that significantly increased the battery drain when spamming min charge shots. They kind of hosed it up again with the latest change that reduced the battery drain with quick charge and reduced the cool down when it runs out. It's not as ridiculous as it was originally but it's close. Totally unnecessary fiddling but that's SD balance for ya.

Sparks is a high skill cap merc up there with Vasilli so it's hard to balance her for both pubs and comp play. Usually SD sides with the comp players but there's always exceptions like Phantom.

Maybe three days ago or thereabouts. In other words, using the current patch.

Turtlicious posted:

Can someone give me a good and honest review on this game? Everything I read seems nice, but I got burned on Evolve, and I'm a bit wary of poo poo now a days.

It's free to play and the only advantage you get from paying is getting an edge in the cosmetics game or skipping the grind on getting a merc, so it doesn't hurt to give the game a shot. Fast-paced run and gun style gameplay, objectives help encourage pushing instead of camping, every merc has a niche ability to differentiate themselves from other ones. If you're a fan of old-school shooters DB should be right up your alley, as there isn't much else left with that sort of pacing.

Downsides are that competitive matchmaking is screwed by the low player base, no real sense of community during play because there's only officially hosted servers and the players churn constantly, and SD's handling of patching has been rather lackluster. It's also hard to play with friends unless you're willing to accept that you'll likely end up playing against each other half the time (or you want to roll the dice on competitive).

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

isndl posted:

Maybe three days ago or thereabouts. In other words, using the current patch.

drat well I haven't been playing nearly as much recently but I guess they hosed it up again then. The previous patch had it just perfect where you could fire about 2.5 full charge shots consecutively and minimum charge shots would kill your battery making them only useful for finishing really weak enemies. Just another one of those things where the "fix" is worse than the original problem like fletcher with lock on and the katana heavy swing.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
http://forums.dirtybomb.nexon.net/discussion/18773/instagibs-sniper-rifles-explosives

Shoe posted:

Hey all,

Just wanted to get your thoughts on the following changes we're now currently testing internally:
Removing automatic instagibs on Bolt Action Sniper Rifle Headshots
Removing automatic instagibs from explosives, such as Frag Grenades

This change would mean that instagibs would still be possible if the target is on low health and the damage 'eats' through the incapped health.

To compensate, we have made Bolt Action Sniper Rifles gib downed bodies in one shot, regardless of hit location, and increased the maximum inner damage for affected explosives, while maintaining the same outer damage as before.

Thoughts?

About loving time. Now they just need to nerf ranged revives and make spawn times attacker-biased and the game will actually be balanced.

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

A rocket fuel made of Doritos? Yeah, I could kind of see it.

Bloodmobile posted:

http://forums.dirtybomb.nexon.net/discussion/18773/instagibs-sniper-rifles-explosives

About loving time. Now they just need to nerf ranged revives and make spawn times attacker-biased and the game will actually be balanced.

Agreed, welcome changes.

e: do I win the group thing?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Bloodmobile posted:

Son of a bitch. That's... a fair trade? Yeah, fair trade.

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.

:eyepop:

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Congrats.

Looks like the next merc is revealed. Stoker. I love me some tf2 pyro so I hope the maltose are nice. Also looks like that execution map is done and will release. The one with the trains.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
As I said before; If Bolt Actions don't instagib on a Headshot, and it still takes two body shots (at least) to kill anyone, what are they even for?

E: But then, I already think the Medics in general don't give up enough offense for functionally unlimited health, so I'm biased. Sparks & Phoenix especially.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Shockeh posted:

As I said before; If Bolt Actions don't instagib on a Headshot, and it still takes two body shots (at least) to kill anyone, what are they even for?

E: But then, I already think the Medics in general don't give up enough offense for functionally unlimited health, so I'm biased. Sparks & Phoenix especially.

It will still kill them in one shot but they will now be able to be revived

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Sparticle posted:

I think they will need to buff bolt action rof or have a charge up and gib on headshot thing still. The reality is dirty bomb has some really skilled players in it and some gys are doing major violence as it is.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Sparticle posted:

Given the range you'll be operating at (or at least, the range he's intended to operate at), the ROF of the Bolt Actions to take the second shot to gib the body and the speed that Revives occur in, especially ranged revives (gently caress you Sparks), that's functionally the same as saying 'He won't kill anyone'.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I think I might be fine with instagib being removed on the bolt actions if it meant that they rolled back the FELIX nerf so it did 80 damage on a bodyshot again. Also roll back the FELIX/MOA ammo swap too.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

SD why do you tease me with this kind of stuff

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
Are anyone else's menus horribly slow and unresponsive? It's maddening trying to do anything when every click takes 3 seconds to have an effect.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
http://forums.dirtybomb.nexon.net/discussion/19117/containment-war-giveaway-event

Free Phoenix or free elite cases and an obsidian skin if you log in after the big update!

Looks like I'll buy Phoenix as my next merc :v:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I just started playing this. I've found that I like the lever-action shotgun much better than Aura's default pump-action. But I see in that guide one of the pump-actions is always recommended. Am I missing something, or is it more of a preference thing?

Probably buying Phoenix as my first merc, too. If I understand that correctly, I get two special random loadouts, one specifically for Phoenix, and I'd be buying a mercenary that can revive himself as long as I don't get finished off too quickly.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I just started playing this. I've found that I like the lever-action shotgun much better than Aura's default pump-action. But I see in that guide one of the pump-actions is always recommended. Am I missing something, or is it more of a preference thing?

Probably buying Phoenix as my first merc, too. If I understand that correctly, I get two special random loadouts, one specifically for Phoenix, and I'd be buying a mercenary that can revive himself as long as I don't get finished off too quickly.

The lever action shotgun or the Ahnulhnd isn't available to aura, each merc has three weapons among their loadouts - aura uses the Remburg, the Hollunds and the Blishlok.

Phoenix is the rambo medic, his self revive is unlikely to kick in when you want it most. It's best to avoid relying on it altogether and kill people before they murder you. His burst healing lets him win 1v1 fights if you can duck behind cover or walljump around to activate it.

Fortunately the loadout for him is pretty good weaponwise to win 1v1 fights so it's up to you if you want faster reloads or support orientated perks. Most loadouts are god awful but a select few are balanced between their perks and the weapons you get.

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 25, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Delacroix posted:

The lever action shotgun or the Ahnulhnd isn't available to aura, each merc has three weapons among their loadouts - aura uses the Remburg, the Hollunds and the Blishlok.

Phoenix is the rambo medic, his self revive is unlikely to kick in when you want it most. It's best to avoid relying on it altogether and kill people before they murder you. His burst healing lets him win 1v1 fights if you can duck behind cover or walljump around to activate it.

Fortunately the loadout for him is pretty good weaponwise to win 1v1 fights so it's up to you if you want faster reloads or support orientated perks. Most loadouts are god awful but a select few are balanced between their perks and the weapons you get.

Ah, okay. What I meant about the shotguns, though, was that when I was looking at the Rhino guide, it recommends the pump-action. I don't know, maybe having more than twice the HP makes it easier to use for Rhino than Aura.

Is the wall jump ever useful, or is it just for show? Making yourself hard to hit?

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Ah, okay. What I meant about the shotguns, though, was that when I was looking at the Rhino guide, it recommends the pump-action. I don't know, maybe having more than twice the HP makes it easier to use for Rhino than Aura.

Is the wall jump ever useful, or is it just for show? Making yourself hard to hit?

The recommended loadout cards for Rhino are guided more by the perks than the weapons, as you'll usually use the minigun in close range anyways. The lever-action does give him a better midrange option though.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Rhino primarily uses his minigun but it's effective range isn't point blank since it's possible to juke him or circlestafe and melee at that distance. The Remburg can one shot anyone with <90hp so it helps in CQC situations where the minigun isn't ideal. The Hollunds has slightly more range and reliability but really the loadout with +50% faster rev speed is the one to aim for.

Walljumping helps avoiding gunfire like the TF2 scout's doublejump. You can use it to escape around corners, get to places untraversable by slower characters/normal jumping or minimise splash damage from explosives. It's not quite as versatile as the scout doublejump but a unique mechanic is combining it with longjumping (crouch+jump while sprinting) to travel faster than sprinting.

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.

Fan art subforum delivers.

e- I wanna see waters and this guy fight.

Lokee fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 25, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I got a gold Aura loadout with the Blishok from a random crate. Not the best one, it has -heat on mounted guns, which is pretty useless. But It still has the Blishok. I'm not quite sure how I feel about it, though. TTK is much slower than the shotgun, and I feel like someone as low HP as Aura needs to be able to burst somebody down before they can react and start shooting back. Is the Blishok better for a cooperating team, and the shotgun better for pub matches?

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
The shotguns are always better IMO. Its just like you say, you need that burst damage to kill good players. Plenty of times while playing fragger I have heard and felt an aura shooting me in the back with the blishlok only for me to whip around and kill them before they can kill me. The shotguns on the other hand can kill anyone with 2-3 shots and are great for finishing off downed players when you're in the middle of a hectic battle.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Who is Player Of Bad Games? I ran into someone yesterday who is either a goon or a lurker.

If I love flanking, who should I buy? I've decided against buying Phoenix, because for 52500 credits, I could buy three bronze loadouts of my choice, rather than spending 50,000 to get an obsidian for Phoenix and two randoms. I'm thinking maybe Proxy?

I'm also almost certainly buying Rhino once I have the chance. I've been loving him.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
I just started playing this after burning out on TF2's latest deuce-shoot of an update. I've been playing Aura consistently and I'm impressed with the variety of classes and abilities. So far I've made my business Rapidly Mashing F On Downed Mans while sprinting from one cover to another and shotgunning idiots.

One of my first cases gave me this thing. Is it worth spending the funbux to unlock him to use this loadout? Or should I go with Phoenix to get the free elite when that drops? Or somethings else?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sawbonez is free until they change the free characters. Just click on the little person icons under one of your characters in the pre-match screen, choose him.

isndl
May 2, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Who is Player Of Bad Games? I ran into someone yesterday who is either a goon or a lurker.

If I love flanking, who should I buy? I've decided against buying Phoenix, because for 52500 credits, I could buy three bronze loadouts of my choice, rather than spending 50,000 to get an obsidian for Phoenix and two randoms. I'm thinking maybe Proxy?

I'm also almost certainly buying Rhino once I have the chance. I've been loving him.

For flanking, you're looking mostly at mercs with lower HP as they have a higher base speed. Proxy is a popular pick for rushing around like an idiot but she doesn't have a whole lot of staying power because she also needs to be in close quarters. Kira is fast and can work at all ranges thanks to her rifles, and the ammo station not only resupplies but can be used to gently caress with pathing and as cover if you're desperate. Phoenix is also a very strong pick for a flanker as he has a good balance of speed and durability, good guns for CQC, and an instant self-heal for constant action as well as the self-revive if someone doesn't follow through after killing you.

boo_radley posted:

I just started playing this after burning out on TF2's latest deuce-shoot of an update. I've been playing Aura consistently and I'm impressed with the variety of classes and abilities. So far I've made my business Rapidly Mashing F On Downed Mans while sprinting from one cover to another and shotgunning idiots.

One of my first cases gave me this thing. Is it worth spending the funbux to unlock him to use this loadout? Or should I go with Phoenix to get the free elite when that drops? Or somethings else?

Sawbonez is one of the cheaper 30k mercs, so he's a good early pick. Overall he's considered one of the strongest classes due to his tankiness and good guns; unfortunately the card you got is not one of his power cards but it's still quite respectable in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

The Crotzni is one of the better SMG's but Sawbonez is the boringest medic. He just has standard health packs with no other special abilities. Aura's health station helps you hold a position, Sparks has the revive gun, Phoenix has the self revive and 360 degree healing radius. I'd just get Phoenix for free instead of paying for Sawbonez.

• Locked thread