Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Pavlov posted:

Only if you can stand 50 episodes of japanese slapjack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

fezball posted:

Don't get your hopes up too much, Gungrave is a pretty bad action show throughout. The good news is that the character drama will stay as good as it is, but the action will always feel perfunctory and is just there to drive the character dynamics. There are a handful of episodes in the later half that are all action and a bit of a slog, but the finale is again all character-driven and really really good.

That's disheartening... It's not like Gungrave is an especially ugly show, but it just looks so BORING. Eh, might as well continue, but I can't help be a little disappointed. Best bombastic gun action animes stay Hellsing OVA and Madoka (yeah, I was surprised too). Is there no more anime with ridiculously unrealistic and awesome gun battles :saddowns:

On the other hand, my unreasonable thirst for anime ballistics made me give Psycho-Pass another chance beyond the first episode. Maybe it's just because the clunky exposition of the first episode is finally more or less out of the way, but I'm up to ep 3 now and I like it MUCH better - even though it's definitely not the action show I was looking for originally! Now that they aren't introducing the core concept anymore, I can appreciate the characters and the VERY awesome setting much more. Already looking for the little Urobuchi hints about what will go horribly wrong. I love how the writer always has characters who claim a certain motivation/belief, only they're flatout lying/wrong/deluded. :allears:

CubeTheory posted:

Chihayafuru is the ultimate crying all the time anime.

I tried to give this one a chance, seeing how often it's mentioned around here, but I'm not sure... Main char is fun, but dear god that is the stupidest central sports game I've ever seen. I'm kinda weirded out. I REALLY, really liked Ping Pong without giving a flying gently caress about the game, but that might also be because it was an extremely stylish show... Meh. Poem card slapping is meh.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't think most people who watch sports anime care about the sport in question, tbh. It's more a means to an end for the story, you know?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Most of the stuff I can think of with 'epic gun battles' in, they're not very good and the worst thing about the shows in question.
The Gunsmith Cats OAV was okay, I don't remember the actual shooting guns stuff being anything special though.

Also I've literally never cared about another sports anime but Chihiyafuru is great.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Strange Quark posted:

I don't think most people who watch sports anime care about the sport in question, tbh. It's more a means to an end for the story, you know?

Well, there's definitely sports manga/anime where the sport itself matters - the main team in Eyeshield 21 having to base their strategy around 100% offense and goofy tricks wouldn't work nearly as well with a sport that wasn't American football, for example. There's also plenty of baseball stuff that does a lot with the very deliberate pace of baseball or the relationship between the players' positions on the field compared to their relationship off the field, etc.

Chihayafuru, though, is mostly a romantic comedy where the characters also happen to play a lot of a kind of weird card game. You could definitely still enjoy it even if you didn't care about the intricacies of karuta.

Disclaimer: I still haven't watched all of Chihayafuru

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Man, that makes you think. Is there any sports anime parody yet in the vein of taking the most ridiculous "sport" to get excited over, slapping all the beloved sports cliches on pretty much anything?

Could be something. The exact same cast, all in the same roles, but each episode has an entirely different "sport" as if the universe had reset, Tatami Galaxy-style. First episode: table soccer. Second episode: competitive shadow play. Third episode: high-stakes blinking contests. Fourth episode: hotdog speed eating. Fifth episode: competitive face slapping (with slow motion replays). Bonus points if it somehow has a continuous plot line, despite giving the story a hard reset every episode.

Sorry folks, Chihayafuru needs to wait. New request: sports parodies :allears:

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Torquemadras posted:

Man, that makes you think. Is there any sports anime parody yet in the vein of taking the most ridiculous "sport" to get excited over, slapping all the beloved sports cliches on pretty much anything?

Could be something. The exact same cast, all in the same roles, but each episode has an entirely different "sport" as if the universe had reset, Tatami Galaxy-style. First episode: table soccer. Second episode: competitive shadow play. Third episode: high-stakes blinking contests. Fourth episode: hotdog speed eating. Fifth episode: competitive face slapping (with slow motion replays). Bonus points if it somehow has a continuous plot line, despite giving the story a hard reset every episode.

Sorry folks, Chihayafuru needs to wait. New request: sports parodies :allears:

Keijo!!!!!!!! is a manga about girls in bathing suits using their butts to knock each other off of floating platforms. It manages to cram an absurd amount of battle manga tropes into each chapter. Named attacks, afterimages, a ridiculously extroverted protagonist, and so many girls in swimwear that it quickly stops being fanservice and becomes mundane. The protagonist was recently forced to train while wearing a limiter suit after learning a forbidden move that could destroy an opponent's clothing with wind pressure alone at the risk of crippling the user. It'll probably get an anime sooner or later.

Avulsion fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Oct 19, 2015

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Are the animated adaptation(s) of Fist of the North Star worth watching? I've been reading the manga which has been amazing to say the very least, but I'm not sure if it can hold up as well as an anime.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Eh, I mean the TV series is old and was low budget even at the time, I love it if only for the inventiveness they used to portray the violence in a TV friendly way, and compared to a lot of shounen is relatively concise and well paced (once you get past the weird opening thirty episodes of filler) but it's still an old rear end TV show.

The 1986 movie has one of most hilarious dubs of all time and I love it.

The Shin Hokuto no Ken OVA is mostly forgettable but sometimes interesting because it were the first time Hokuto Shinken has ever been animated without being censored (the 1986 movie was originally but pressure from parent groups forced them to censor it before it hit theatres) and is insanely violent in places.

The first two movies in the 2007 trilogy are decent enough recaps of the Souther and final battle with Raoh arcs but the last one is an anime original prequel and kind of meh.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Droyer posted:

Taiyou ni ie is very good.

Allarion posted:

Nurarihyon no Mago
Mahoraba
Taiyou no Ie
NG Life

Namtab posted:

Up yourself to the seinen game and read acclaimed manga K-ON

read taiyou no ie and k-on already :P

i'll put a few of the others on my phone tho thanks

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The 80s movie is extremely cool. They don't make seinen ultraviolence like that anymore.

I might read the manga since I enjoyed Fist of the North Banker a lot.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FotNS ran in Shounen Jump, wasn't even seinen :v:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Caruta owns

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Cake Attack posted:

Caruta owns

Yea, this. Chihyafuru doesn't expect you to know poo poo about the game, but after you get through the story you totally get it.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Pavlov posted:

who let this guy into the thread?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I mean they could at least mix it up and activate a trap card every once in a while.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Pavlov posted:

I mean they could at least mix it up and activate a trap card every once in a while.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Pavlov posted:

Tuns out japanese slapjack is pretty awesome, and very pretty.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Kaiji made me care about the outcome of a tissue box raffle and a game of rock-paper-scissors so I have no problem accepting "Japanese slapjack" as the competition around which a compelling story revolves.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I mean even outside of chihayafuru karuta is a pretty interesting sport for how unique it is and how rooted in Japanese culture it is. Going "ugh slapjack dumb" makes me think you are the dumb one

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
karuta is the game of the strong

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbPQYvgE9u0

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
My favorite part is when they slap the card.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
I'd say the sport is at least somewhat important in Chihayafuru as they don't only use it as a vehicle for other drama and life experiences. The show is also really good at showing the various ways people interact with, think about, and execute sports and games. Although it's true that even from that perspective, it doesn't matter that the sport is specifically Karuta.

Even away from that, Karuta ends up being a very cool and interesting sport, and the anime explains and introduces it to the viewer perfectly.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Pavlov posted:

My favorite part is when they slap the card.

i haven't even watched through all of chihayafuru and am not a massive fan of it but jesus christ

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

lol at 0:40

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
That guy is clearly uncomfortable in that position because it isn't sitting at a computer chair.

.jpg posted:

lol at 0:40
The first blush of...romance?!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

im gonna slap jack

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

young black jack

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

im gonna respond seriously and unironically to the guy making the chihayafuru jokes as though he is posting seriously

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
poo poo, maybe I'm the real aids

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Nope,

reference

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
TFW you forget to wear pajamas on pajama day.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

im the fat gaijin playing karuta

E: slowly

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

.jpg posted:

Nope,

reference

Holy poo poo what was this originally from, it's super familiar

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Captain Invictus posted:

That time when we were all really hungry for a shortstack of pancakes.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3709574&pagenumber=6&perpage=40#post444359328

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Yes! Might be one of the best posts in ADTRW history

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Namtab posted:

im gonna respond seriously and unironically to the guy making the chihayafuru jokes as though he is posting seriously

This guy gets it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Namtab posted:

i was responding to the other guy