Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Could the competition series have teams of identical cars throughout the season, like f1? Gutbomb also said qualifying sessions are possible. That would be cool too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Qualifying works by setting grid order to fastest lap in previous race. Have a 2 lap qualifying race with a 15 second roll off delay and you've got qualifying.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

this is not the F1 thread

Norns fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 17, 2015

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Could the competition series have teams of identical cars throughout the season, like f1? Gutbomb also said qualifying sessions are possible. That would be cool too.

If it's something people want, sure. I'm open to any ideas.

Regarding qualifying, I'm sorta torn. Having faster guys always start up front would make for boring races I think. And I say that as someone who is very good at running away with a big lead if I get out front early.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I just spent my first appreciable amount of time in hoppers racing, and I realized that I hate it compared to GTCC. No one talks and everyone is basically just hotlapping leaderboard cars. I know this is pretty much how it's always been, but gently caress... :effort:

Most are obviously driving with the line on too, which makes it really frustrating to pack race.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Forza 4 had a class A, B, C and S hopper where people rarely used leaderboard cars. Way more people had mics and would talk as well. It was a very chill lobby where you could whip out cars you liked instead of having to use one of the 3 or so cars in each class that were way better than the rest. Is there not an equivalent hopper in 6?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Theres a sim damage league up. About to run my first race, should be interesting with pubbies.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Cubey posted:

I ordered an Xbox and am looking forward to racing with dudes, but I cannot make Wednesdays because I work until 10:30 Pacific. So for a weekend series, most people said Sunday worked best, so what time works for people? Also I was thinking of having it be a season-type competition like what GRC was back in 5.
If you'll have me on the track, I can probably join you. I don't want to piss any more people off. I'll be on my best behavior (lag notwithstanding).

It's your call. I don't want to be where I am not welcome.

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

Dr. Faustus posted:

If you'll have me on the track, I can probably join you. I don't want to piss any more people off. I'll be on my best behavior (lag notwithstanding).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STRgG38T6sc

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Howdy come back to GTCC everyone wants you there.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Yeah there were gigantic accidents despite your absence.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Howdy come back to GTCC everyone wants you there.
I like Neal Patrick Harris. Why is he so mean? I'm sorry is never enough. It's like he wants me to suck his...

NO!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Dr. Faustus posted:

Stop calling attention to yourself and your flaws and chill the hell out and nobody will have problems with you. It's a game, relax and race cars and laugh at the dumb accidents that will inevitably happen because racing cars is hard and most of us are morons.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Another tuning question. I've read the posts from dizzle, Dashoe (and I think there was another that I saved to my comp) and they've been extraordinarily helpful, however I'm having 2 problems (they may or may not be related) - actually they are probably the same/related - understeer and losing traction on big sweeping highspeed curves.

Today I've been in a Ferrari 512 S-Class. I've actually been working on this car since Forza5 and I've finally decided to get back to work on it.

1) On COTA (national / west, between the two I've maybe run about 50-60 laps on that track between last night and today) the first sweeping curve before the S's and last sweeping curve are the ones on which I continually lose traction with my front wheels, yet I'm usually able to hang on and make the turn.

But when hotlapping in rivals and in the ghost league today, the other cars are able to pull away while on that curve I have to hold off the throttle to make it cleanly through the turn, but by then they're way a head of me. The tight corners, the hairpins, the S's I can pretty much fly through and can even lead if I'm lucky with an upfront position (and they've been the only way to rank up in Rivals by getting better (and attaining good lead) through the S's), I feel pretty confident on that first turn hairpin and I've been able to get through it in rather good position.

2) Similarly to the last big curve on COTA, on some other sweeping curve tracks like Spa and Berenese Alps I'm in constant understeer / similar traction issues on those big sweeping curves and just cannot keep up through those. On Spa I got lucky on the start (in regular online) started first and was able to keep it even pull away from 2nd and 3rd until just after the first chicane. The through the next set of curves I just lose so much speed and I lost 4 positions by the time I was through the last downhill left-hand sweeper.

If it's just the velocity of my choice of car, fine. If it's my attack angle, fine. The latter just means practice while the second means I might have to find another that can handle those turns to perhaps keep up through those curves (which I've already started to do).

On the other hand, if it's something with the setup, I'm currently at a loss of where I should start next (perhaps below - bump / rebound). I've adjusted both rear and front springs all day today and have run very similar times. So it feels that I'm looking in the wrong place. I'm thinking this may be what I'm experiencing since it happens while keeping throttle through the curve:

quote:

Throttle under/oversteer
This obviously occurs when you give it gas, typically on corner exit. Usually this is just due to too much throttle, but we can tune some of it out. This is where we want to mess with the bump and rebound. The softer the setting, the more weight is shifted to those tires when you accelerate.

I really like how the 512 handles with everything else the tracks can throw at me, especially tight turns and I've nearly put in the last two days so I don't want to give up or change too much and I'm not looking for a magic thing to happen. I'm just looking to solve this curve problem with out upsetting the rest of the car. Perhaps for the bigger curve tracks I just need a completely different setup from the ground up.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
Increase the width of the front tires (or decrease the rears alternatively) to put more relative grip in the front of the car, if you can. Or you can try adding more front downforce (or decreasing the rear), if you have aero installed (which you must at S-class).

Or the 512 just understeers because of a fundamental issue with the car and its wide-rear end rear end.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

70s F1 cars on Nurburgring

always a good idea.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The RS2000 Evolution is lots and lots of fun.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
Hey Jeeves, the 512 is mid engine, no?

You might have the front of the car too tight. Remember you wanna adjust parts on the part of the car you are trying to make a change on. Look on some replays and see if your front inside of the turn tire is lifting. A lot times that happens and people won't catch it.

The Ultima GTR and I used to have this battle of lovely understeer and it actually took me taking the rear ARB to MAX STIFFNESS and the front ARB to MIN STIFFNESS to alleviate the understeer. Turns out it was one of the best speed track cars after I did that. Set some really high (top 150 or better) times after I did it. I wouldn't say yours is that extreme, but it might be a nice place to start.

Endbuster fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 19, 2015

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
Racing against drivatars in Indycars at Long Beach is a pain that I wouldn't wish upon my enemies.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
^^^^Things I would never consider as a good idea.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

L_Harrison posted:

Increase the width of the front tires (or decrease the rears alternatively) to put more relative grip in the front of the car, if you can. Or you can try adding more front downforce (or decreasing the rear), if you have aero installed (which you must at S-class).

Or the 512 just understeers because of a fundamental issue with the car and its wide-rear end rear end.

Ferrari didnt figure out how to make good handling street cars until something like 2004. Its normal (Like i could never tune the mid corner understeer out of that brat from last week, becuase thats just what subarus do)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The only reason why enzo even made street cars was to make money for racing.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Coja's right.

Crosspost:

AT&T has finally dropped the modem cost (sorta) and installation for my area, so I am ditching my old 6mb/s Down - 768kb/s Up Fastaccess DSL connection this week!

I didn't get greedy because I don't have a job, but this will be CHEAPER for the first 12 months.

Coming up this Thursday/Friday I will get the equipment to install to U-verse 12mb/s Down and 2mb/s Up so my lag issues should go away! I'll jump up to 18gb/s if I have to, but I doubt it will be necessary. The network infrastructure in this part of town is pretty solid. I hope the latencies are low low low.

Huzzah, everyone!

I'll hopefully stop being a lag-bomb waiting to happen once this upgrade is in place.

P.S. - This coincides with my decision to follow GutBomb into buying an SSD and SATAIII USB Enclosure for my Xbone. All should get here about the same time, meaning better internet, faster loading times, and double the storage.

P.P.S. - My girlfriend is nuts and she's going to try to get me the 1TB Forza 6 Special Edition Xbox One for Christmas. I guess that might mean I'll have a spare copy of FM6 to sell/give away. I'll let you know.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Oct 19, 2015

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

lol the Forza Xbone makes engine rev noises when you turn it on. Enjoy

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Norns posted:

lol the Forza Xbone makes engine rev noises when you turn it on. Enjoy

It does? CURSES!!!

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

geeves posted:

70s F1 cars on Nurburgring

always a good idea.

I'd like to point out this was my first and only Forza 6 multiplayer race so far, and I managed to finish it.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Atmus posted:

I'd like to point out this was my first and only Forza 6 multiplayer race so far, and I managed to finish it.

I forgot to include this one:

This is why we don't do Nurburgring in the rain with the same 70s F1 cars

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Dr. Faustus posted:

It does? CURSES!!!

Only when you press the button on the console itself, just using the controller to turn it is silent.

Also the controller has a really nice grippy texture.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Dr. Faustus posted:

P.P.S. - My girlfriend is nuts and she's going to try to get me the 1TB Forza 6 Special Edition Xbox One for Christmas. I guess that might mean I'll have a spare copy of FM6 to sell/give away. I'll let you know.

Dude, you already have an Xbox and Forza 6. Have her put that money towards that new SSD or something else useful instead.

Congrats on the better internet though, that will make a huge difference.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Yeah for that money for the console you could get a wheel.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
^^^ I bought Ether Frenzy's Thrustmaster TX and mounted it to a WheelStand Pro 2. ^^^

BCRock posted:

Dude, you already have an Xbox and Forza 6. Have her put that money towards that new SSD or something else useful instead.

Congrats on the better internet though, that will make a huge difference.
My launch XBox started having disc reading problems just before the warranty expired. When I went to MS to have it fixed, they told me to gently caress myself. One month out of warranty and I'd already called about that issue twice before the warranty ran out.
I'll fix it, and sell it or gift it, and if there's a bundled FM6 I'll sell or gift that, too; and if there's money to be made I'll spend it on her.

Can't wait for the improved broadband.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Quality Microsoft customer support

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

Dr. Faustus posted:

^^^ I bought Ether Frenzy's Thrustmaster TX and mounted it to a WheelStand Pro 2. ^^^

Maybe I'm just too used to controllers but my TX is a workout when I race FM6 with it, don't get me wrong I love it to death but drat does it feel more touchy than a thumb stick

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

Maybe I'm just too used to controllers but my TX is a workout when I race FM6 with it, don't get me wrong I love it to death but drat does it feel more touchy than a thumb stick

What do you mean by touchy

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Norns posted:

Quality Microsoft customer support
Agreed. I argued that I had pointed out this intermittent hardware failure several times in the months leading up to my warranty expiring. Once I had so much trouble getting FM5/SoM to load I asked them for a warranty repair and they told me, and I quote, "It would be unfair to other Xbox owners to give you free support outside of warranty (like three weeks out of warranty) so I had to offer them $150 for the repair." I was loving furious. I escalated, I threatened, I cajoled, but MS would not budge. I argued that, as an early adopter, I paid more than those other XBox owners and it was only fair to give me a little leeway considering I'd called them about the problem twice already, while under warranty.

It was extremely disappointing but I switched to digital copies and I have left FM5 in the console since I finished SoM.

If I haven't had so much fun with the console I would have felt worse about it, but I feel furious enough already. When FM6 finally came out I had to delete several games that I would like to play (Arkham City, GTAV, Alien: Isolation, PCars, etc) but I needed the space. That's why I followed GB's lead and scored an external SSD+enclosure. Should have them by this weekend.

I admit I was baffled and angered by MS' insulting customer service. I thought they'd gotten better since the darkest days. I admit I was wrong, but I do love the console and SoM/FM5 had already been a lot of fun. I just find it difficult to believe a company would be so strict with its customers.

I had a guitar that needed serious help a month out of warranty and the company fixed it for merely the cost of shipping it to the factory and they had it back in my hands a week later. They never lectured me about what was "fair."

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
both my kinect and disc drive are dead on my launch model. But i dont see myself needing more than 3 xbox one games at any one point. so digital versions it is.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Try holding onto the disc for a second then letting the drive catch it. Works for me.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Well, we knew what we were getting into adopting early. I don't regret it, but I am bummed about MS' customer service. The only thing I use Kinect for is "Record That." I should probably unplug it and save some electricity.
I don't mind buying digital because I never sell games anyway.

I am excited about SSD storage and switching to U-Verse. I need to finish The Witcher 3. I just hope that the broadband upgrade solves my racing lag issues so I can focus on my situational awareness.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

MattD1zzl3 posted:

both my kinect and disc drive are dead on my launch model. But i dont see myself needing more than 3 xbox one games at any one point. so digital versions it is.

My Kinect is dead too. I only have one disc game, FIFA 16 so it just lives in the drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
My disc drive also barely works, it takes 1-15 tries to get a game to load via it. Launch console replacement, maybe 20 days into ownership/after initial launch. I can't recall what broke on my first one but I had to have Amazon send me a replacement. My Kinect works fine even though it's never been anywhere but behind my TV filming the back of my entertainment cabinent (and hearing me shout "XBOX RECORD THAT" 4 times a gaming session)

• Locked thread