Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Geoj posted:

Maybe you should tell that to Apple?

I mean, Steve Jobs literally said (regarding the iPhone) "this is our idea and everyone else stole it" and Apple proceeded to wage a nearly decade-long legal battle over it.

And now he's dead; thats the moral of the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

blarzgh posted:

That's how everyone's story ends. It's either a really good moral, or a really bad one.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

blarzgh posted:

Actually I think the moral of that story is "if you're a multi-millionaire and get diagnosed with cancer don't rely exclusively on alternative medicine."

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I bought this decal for my bike

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

I knew it detatched, but didn't realize it forced you to do that to flip it back. Bit of a bummer. Wish it worked like the Surface Pro keyboard cover as I often flip that back and forth without the need to detatch. Ah well, it still looks great and is a pretty powerful device. My Pro is my sole workstation that I dock and take as needed.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

PCOS Bill posted:

Where'd you get that? My friend just completed his motorcycle safety course & I'd like to get this for him when he buys his first set of wheels.
:ninja: edit: Hah, Google reverse image search brought us this gem.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007

PCOS Bill posted:

I need dozens of these

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Sorry, I was thinking "I should link it" but didn't actually follow through http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015AXNY22 for $6

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The best part of that Surface Book is the 3 hour battery life on the tablet.

And that's 3 hours claimed by Microsoft so you're realistically looking at half.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
That's amazing(lybad). My year and a half old gaming laptop still gets almost 3 lol

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

And that's 3 hours claimed by Microsoft so you're realistically looking at half.

Hahahaha! Is that real? That's terrible.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Most of the battery is in the keyboard, so it isn't as bad as it seems.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Chinaman7000 posted:

Yeah, it's up around 10-12 when docked but a tablet that can't even pull 3 hours might as well not be a hybrid.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Aphrodite posted:

$2700 for a 1.5 hour battery :vince:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Chinaman7000 posted:

So it's basically a laptop that turns into a lovely tablet? Why make the tablet part a selling point if you're tethered to the keyboard for all practical purposes? It won't even last a NY to LA flight as a tablet.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
They had to do that because of weight. Having all of the battery in the screen would make it topple in laptop mode. It's supposedly split, with 4 hours of battery life coming from the screen half and 8 hours of battery life from the keyboard half. 12 hours total.

It's still considered a tablet even if the keyboard is folded behind it. You can still get 12 hours of battery life from the 1.5 pound device or whatever it is. No more awkward to hold than the Surface Pro I imagine.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

It's like owning an F-350 truck that you don't use for work. You just like the *option*.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

does the keyboard at least charge the tablet?

if it does then at least it would be kind of like a case for the tablet, i.e. remove it when you want to use it. do many people here use their tablets for more than 3 hours at a go?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

flosofl posted:

So it's basically a laptop that turns into a lovely tablet? Why make the tablet part a selling point if you're tethered to the keyboard for all practical purposes? It won't even last a NY to LA flight as a tablet.

Why would you need it to? The reason I got a Book as opposed to the Pro 4 was because I want to use it more as a laptop and only occasionally as a tablet. I can't think of many situations where I'd be using it with the keyboard disconnected for an extended period of time.

late edit that nobody is going to see but I don't want to make a new post and continue this silly argument about spending a lot of money on a microsoft product instead of an apple one: Battery life is hardly ever relevant anymore anyway. Aside from domestic flights which are usually too short to matter, there's almost always a plug for whatever you're using in business class (and occasionally even in economy/economy plus). Almost every other situation has an outlet available somewhere if you need it, and if it doesn't it probably doesn't have internet connectivity and you probably aren't bringing your laptop along. Most trains in Europe have outlets too. The Book has a quoted battery life of 12 hours - I don't expect that, probably more like 7-8 if I'm just doing text editing and normal browsing, probably more like 4 if I'm streaming a movie or something. It's fine. I got the thing because it looks cool, it is powerful for what it is, and honestly part of it is that it's not going to be available here in germany for at least another 6 months (i'm picking it up when I come back for Christmas). I like to have the cool new thing nobody else at work has, so sue me.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 19:07 on Oct 19, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ragequit posted:

They had to do that because of weight. Having all of the battery in the screen would make it topple in laptop mode. It's supposedly split, with 4 hours of battery life coming from the screen half and 8 hours of battery life from the keyboard half. 12 hours total.

It's still considered a tablet even if the keyboard is folded behind it. You can still get 12 hours of battery life from the 1.5 pound device or whatever it is. No more awkward to hold than the Surface Pro I imagine.

But according to a previous poster, it won't fold the full 270 degrees. Regardless, it's obvious it's not for me, but others clearly have a use case for it. So I'm all for stopping the lovely derail I've been guilty of perpetuating.

CONTENT:

It fits perfectly in one of my under-counter cabinets.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

flosofl posted:

But according to a previous poster, it won't fold the full 270 degrees.

It doesn't need to

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

flosofl posted:

Because you want it tethered to the keyboard for 90% of the time. My boss and coworker have a Helix and SP3 respectively, and they're docked either to the desktop or keyboard dock almost all the time. I just kept my classic ThinkPad because stand-alone tablets are a joke and convertible ones are barely worth the compromise.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I have an ASUS Transformer that I picked up on a whim, it's great to be able to pop the keyboard off and be a useless rear end in a top hat watching a movie in bed (And completely ignoring the Smart TV with Netflix on the wall)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

It doesn't need to

Ah, the tablet is reversible. That's an entirely different kettle of fish and it's making a lot more sense now. For some reason my brain had locked onto it swiveling all the way around at first and when informed it doesn't do that, I just assumed the only way to use it as a tablet was undocked. This is better.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Because you want it tethered to the keyboard for 90% of the time. My boss and coworker have a Helix and SP3 respectively, and they're docked either to the desktop or keyboard dock almost all the time. I just kept my classic ThinkPad because stand-alone tablets are a joke and convertible ones are barely worth the compromise.

See, that's the thing. People are paying its price premium for a novelty they don't plan to use.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

flosofl posted:

Ah, the tablet is reversible. That's an entirely different kettle of fish and it's making a lot more sense now. For some reason my brain had locked onto it swiveling all the way around at first and when informed it doesn't do that, I just assumed the only way to use it as a tablet was undocked. This is better.

It's kind of reversible. You have to undock the tablet, flip it around and then dock it again. Then you're basically just closing the laptop like normal.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Happy birthday to meMarshalltown:smithicide:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Daimo posted:

Happy birthday to meMarshalltown:smithicide:

Happy Birthday! Now go out and get leveled!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

VendaGoat posted:

Happy Birthday! Now go out and get leveled!

Or do whatever it is you do. With that thing.

Jefinabox
Jun 26, 2007
I'm a mastic leveller too!

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Figure I'll be the first to post this,
12/17 7pm IMAX 3D tickets to this:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'll wait until it's on TV

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Yeeeeuh. Stoked to see a star war.

Also this at Barnes and Noble because it came with four awesome posters.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Tim Whatley posted:

Yeeeeuh. Stoked to see a star war.

Also this at Barnes and Noble because it came with four awesome posters.

I was really excited to go see Episode 1.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I want to see it opening night but I also feel like this movie is a pretty high risk for a mass shooting.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I want to see it opening night but I also feel like this movie is a pretty high risk for a mass shooting.

Just go to a theater that has a sticker on the door saying they don't allow guns. You'll be fine. Because no one will disobey a sticker.

gypsycabdriver
Apr 19, 2007

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Terrorists won

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
Got a bargain on this...

Denon AVR-X2000 receiver. I went to a local high end audio shop to get a new Bluetooth speaker for work. I asked the guy helping me if they might have something older or used in the $100 range to replace my ancient Onkyo receiver which has been acting up lately.

They had the Denon I bought laying in their workshop for months with some superficial shipping damage. They sold it to me for $100 even. Brand new aside from the dented chassis and typically sells for around $400. It sounds so much better than that antique Onkyo. I'm over the moon happy with it.

I've found that just asking somebody politely if they have a bargain that may not be advertised the people that work in these local shops will hook a person up. I even got a discount on the boombox!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

PCOS Bill posted:

I need this for my vibrator case.