Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
I play Starcraft and the game shits itself if you have repeating keys activated in windows and hold down shift, ctrl or alt. To play Starcraft you have to hold these keys down a lot. I don't want to turn off key repetition in windows but i have to turn it off for Shift, Ctrl and Alt specifically. Only for those keys though, since repeating keys is important for other keys while playing. Any software that can do this? I use windows 7.

Maybe this is more of a software question...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ambaire posted:

I have a theorectical question regarding this 2TB WD drive. Suppose I buy one, put it through a few full write/full format cycles to verify that it's not DOA then backup everything I hold dear to it and put it in a bank safety deposit box. I wait say 5 years then come back and pull it out and hook it up to my computer. What's the chance of data corruption, drive failure and the like? Or would it most probably still work just fine?

Note: I'm not actually going to do this. I'm merely curious. I know that you wouldn't do something like this with an SSD since after 5 years the data would most likely have faded but how do powered off hard drive retention rates compare?

Edit: I'm going to bet though that the answer will be the drive would most probably be just fine, since I just recovered some intact data the other day from a quick formatted 80GB WD Caviar drive from 2004 that hadn't been used in 7 years and hadn't been stored in the best of conditions. And a drive manufactured in 2015 would probably be quite a bit more reliable than 2004 tech, right? Or not?

WD actually makes the Ae line of drives specifically for this purpose.
http://www.storagereview.com/wd_ae_cold_data_storage_hdds_announced

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

Killstick posted:

I play Starcraft and the game shits itself if you have repeating keys activated in windows and hold down shift, ctrl or alt. To play Starcraft you have to hold these keys down a lot. I don't want to turn off key repetition in windows but i have to turn it off for Shift, Ctrl and Alt specifically. Only for those keys though, since repeating keys is important for other keys while playing. Any software that can do this? I use windows 7.

Maybe this is more of a software question...

Is it popping up the Sticky Keys thing and maybe you just don't see the dialog? Try turning it off (in Ease of Access http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-turn-off-sticky-keys-3512425/)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

FCKGW posted:

A 3 year warranty on a would-be tape replacement :laugh: Smells like an oddly formatted consumer drive priced for enterprise.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 13, 2015

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

ChiralCondensate posted:

Is it popping up the Sticky Keys thing and maybe you just don't see the dialog? Try turning it off (in Ease of Access http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-turn-off-sticky-keys-3512425/)

No it's an unrelated issue. What's happening is that the Starcraft client lags to poo poo when you press and hold shift, ctrl or alt for more then a second. I've read a lot on the subject and it has to do with the API they switched to in Heart of the Swarm or something. I need to disable repeating keys for shift, ctrl and alt specifically. It's unrelated to sticky keys or any of the other ease of access setting. Turning off repeating keys completely fixes it, but then of course making zerglings in 3v3 becomes insanely time-consuming. Also in general repeating keys are nice to have we live in a society.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Pretty sure you can whip something up in AutoHotkey or AutoIT that intercepts those keys and feeds back a non repeating version or whatever.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

dis astranagant posted:

A 3 year warranty on a would-be tape replacement :laugh: Smells like an oddly formatted consumer drive priced for enterprise.
Harddrives are consumables so at the enterprise level a warranty doesn't really make sense except to catch early failures that you didn't get your money out of.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, but they usually hint at the manufacturer's confidence in their product. It's also less of a shove it in a box product and more for keeping it on a rack that you only power on as needed.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 13, 2015

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Does this drive use the partial overlapping write technique that makes modifying or rewriting data take twice as long?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Crotch Fruit posted:

Does this drive use the partial overlapping write technique that makes modifying or rewriting data take twice as long?
WD (excluding the HGST subsidiary) is not shipping a shingled drive yet, as far as I know.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Given the fact that SSDs can be expected to slowly lose files if they're not rewritten from time to time, over a number of years, what's the best thing to do, say, yearly to try to get as much of your files rewritten that haven't been touched as you can? I'm thinking that doing a defrag with an algorithm that does sorting should sufficiently shuffle things up to ensure the charge potential or whatever is still fresh enough.

Sure you'll probably end up rewriting every cell 5 times in the process each year, but that's minimal compared to the cycle lifetimes.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Nintendo Kid posted:

Given the fact that SSDs can be expected to slowly lose files if they're not rewritten from time to time, over a number of years, what's the best thing to do, say, yearly to try to get as much of your files rewritten that haven't been touched as you can? I'm thinking that doing a defrag with an algorithm that does sorting should sufficiently shuffle things up to ensure the charge potential or whatever is still fresh enough.

Sure you'll probably end up rewriting every cell 5 times in the process each year, but that's minimal compared to the cycle lifetimes.
SSDs already manage their data internally to prevent it from aging excessively, the only reason to do this would be if you were storing a drive unpowered. And you shouldn't do that with flash media anyway.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Alereon posted:

SSDs already manage their data internally to prevent it from aging excessively, the only reason to do this would be if you were storing a drive unpowered. And you shouldn't do that with flash media anyway.

Well the thing is I'll be replacing this current SSD eventually, and won't have anything sane to run it in on a daily basis - at most it'll be a drive in an enclosure that gets used every so often, since it's only 600 GB. I'd like to use it as an extra long term ish storage thing for files I don't particularly care about.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
How much free space should you set aside for an SSD? I'm assuming it's a percentage, but some sources say 25% and a friend says it's 10%.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Ryuga Death posted:

How much free space should you set aside for an SSD? I'm assuming it's a percentage, but some sources say 25% and a friend says it's 10%.
20%. On modern systems (with TRIM working) you can just not fill the drive more than 80% full. Unlike older drives its not really a big deal if it gets more full than that as long as its not for an extended period.

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014
I upgraded to windows 10 a month ago and on an irregular basis it keeps stating it found error(s) with my old hd and should back it up. On the other hand, Crystal Disk Info says it's in good health. Which one should I trust more?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Dervyn posted:

I upgraded to windows 10 a month ago and on an irregular basis it keeps stating it found error(s) with my old hd and should back it up. On the other hand, Crystal Disk Info says it's in good health. Which one should I trust more?
Post a screenshot of the Crystal Disk Info window. CDI will log any errors Windows can detect, but they may not be above the warning threshold yet.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I have three monitors attached to my work system, I want to attach a fourth monitor. My current GPU is a Radeon 7970 with a blower - it's loud and hot (60C idle), but it's the easiest to connect 4 monitors to since it has 2x mini-DP. All of my monitors are old non-ips DVI/VGA monitors, the three currently attached use DVI. The quick and easy solution to my problems is to buy another active mini-DP to DV adapter and be done. However, I dislike this approach because none of my spare graphics (5750, 6850) cards have 2x display ports, in fact they are all 2x DVI, 1x DP (and 1x HDMI but that doesn't really matter). Similarly, I would love to take out the 7970 so I can use it in a separate personal gaming PC soon to be built.

Thus far, the solutions Google has presented me are to buy multiple dual-DVI GT-610 GPUs, the rationale for this is that the GT610 is a low power, passively cooled GPU and having multiple graphics cards would mean that a failed card would not shut down the whole operation. The problem with this is that GT610s are $50 each, I would need $100 worth of lovely GPUs. BUT the big problem is that my motherboard does not have two 16PCI-E slots. I have several empty 1x slots which won't physically fit a GPU. I would be fine with buying a single GPU with enough outputs for 4 monitors however all I have found so far would be loud, hot gamer cards, not good for an office PC.

The last option I have found would be to buy a Display port multi stream transport hub to turn my single DP or miniDP port into 2 or 3 display ports.
I found a Belkin DP to 2x DVI however I see it described as a splitter and not an MST, I'm assuming this means it will not work in a quad monitor eyefinity setup?

I'm certain a Startech DP to 3x DP MST hun would work great, except it cost twice as much as the Belkin, and I would need to buy another (active?) display port to DVI adapter ($30). What should I do??

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Just to check the obvious, no onboard graphics you can use? Also, high-end graphics cards don't draw that power if they aren't actually being heavily used for gaming or computing, for normal desktop use they will draw very little.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Alereon posted:

Just to check the obvious, no onboard graphics you can use? Also, high-end graphics cards don't draw that power if they aren't actually being heavily used for gaming or computing, for normal desktop use they will draw very little.

No, I do not have onboard graphics. Thanks for the tip about the card drawing low power, however I believe the 7970 still has the loudest fan in my system. I would have to swap in an older GPU to test and make sure. I know when I set the fan the fan to even 50% in the Catalyst Control Center it was the loudest fan in my PC.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
It shouldn't be that loud at idle, try thoroughly dusting it (and the rest of the system) out with a canned air duster. That said, the stock cooler was pretty bad, so if that's what you have a decent card would help a lot. Oh, and using a program that gives you better control of fan speeds should help too.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 16, 2015

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I pulled the cover off the 7970 yesterday and it was clean. Since the card is just 2 months shy of being 3 years old, should I attempt to reapply new thermal paste? Would that void the last of the MSI warranty? I am tempted to call and try to warranty the card, but I doubt they will consider this a problem.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Dervyn posted:

I had the same thing and it was a ram issue. It would happen occasionally on 8.1 but really went wild on 10.

If you run out of ideas run memtest, or (as fixed it for me) try reseating your ram.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Crotch Fruit posted:

Since the card is just 2 months shy of being 3 years old, should I attempt to reapply new thermal paste? Would that void the last of the MSI warranty?

Technically yes, but I doubt they'd give you any trouble over it unless you were completely ham-fisted in reapplying the paste. I'd definitely give it a shot before trying to have it replaced under warranty.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Crotch Fruit posted:

I pulled the cover off the 7970 yesterday and it was clean. Since the card is just 2 months shy of being 3 years old, should I attempt to reapply new thermal paste? Would that void the last of the MSI warranty? I am tempted to call and try to warranty the card, but I doubt they will consider this a problem.

The biggest problem you might run into its the VRAM thermal pads ripping/tearing when you remove the cooler. You could run four monitors on a GTX 950, which should run almost silent for your use case.

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014

Alereon posted:

Post a screenshot of the Crystal Disk Info window. CDI will log any errors Windows can detect, but they may not be above the warning threshold yet.

edit: removed

Re: Skarsnik

Could be the ram. Can't remember why I ended with 2x 2x4 gb of ram, but slotted them all in and got 12gb according to the system. Was a problem when I was installing Windows 10 and kept getting infinite reboot of system thread exception not handled. Ended using one stick when installing, but one of the brands didn't work on its own. Thanks, will looking into this within the next couple of days.

Dervyn fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Nov 26, 2015

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Dervyn posted:

Re: Skarsnik

Could be the ram. Can't remember why I ended with 2x 2x4 gb of ram, but slotted them all in and got 12gb according to the system. Was a problem when I was installing Windows 10 and kept getting infinite reboot of system thread exception not handled. Ended using one stick when installing, but one of the brands didn't work on its own. Thanks, will looking into this within the next couple of days.
Most of the values are scrolled off the bottom there :) The important stuff at the top looks fine though. I definitely agree with running Memtest86+.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
My computer started crashing, and having the video driver crash/restart pretty constantly: first from hardware-intense games, now even in firefox. If I leave the computer off for some time, it'll work for ~an hour and then resume dying.

The screen fills with artifacts, patterns, colors, etc. Back in my day, this was a sure-fire tell that the graphics card is dead. Is that still true?

E: Card from circa 2008

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 17, 2015

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Evilreaver posted:

My computer started crashing, and having the video driver crash/restart pretty constantly: first from hardware-intense games, now even in firefox. If I leave the computer off for some time, it'll work for ~an hour and then resume dying.

The screen fills with artifacts, patterns, colors, etc. Back in my day, this was a sure-fire tell that the graphics card is dead. Is that still true?

What's the age of the rest of the components? This could be a power supply issue as well, but unless it is also 7+ years old I'd start with the video card.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Geoj posted:

What's the age of the rest of the components? This could be a power supply issue as well, but unless it is also 7+ years old I'd start with the video card.

I'm 90% sure I got the whole computer at roughly the same time so all the parts are the same age (except ram and HDD). I know at some point I replaced nearly everything except the case, but I keep poo poo records so v:v:v

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I've had two experiences with visual artifacts were caused by hardware issues. The first instance was caused by a power supply being incapable of supplying enough power. The second was bad VRAM. In your case it could be either one.

Though I suspect a vram issue because that would cause problems even at low usage scenarios.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Evilreaver posted:

Check GPU temperatures with GPU-Z sensors tab, you'd get that behavior if the fan was dead or caked with dust. If that's good, try uninstalling the video drivers, running Display Driver Uninstaller to remove the remnants, then installing the latest drivers. If that doesn't help, yeah get a new card.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Alereon posted:

Check GPU temperatures with GPU-Z sensors tab, you'd get that behavior if the fan was dead or caked with dust. If that's good, try uninstalling the video drivers, running Display Driver Uninstaller to remove the remnants, then installing the latest drivers. If that doesn't help, yeah get a new card.

HWinfo says the card is cool and the fan is running (60C and 1850 RPM)
I got a new card coming monday probably.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
If I make my own Cisco rollover cable with RJ45 on both ends then I understand one end goes into the Cisco router/switch but where does the other end go? The NIC of my pc? Would that even work? Can I map the NIC to a COM port?

And before you tell me just to use a USB to serial adapter and cisco crossover cable, yes I already know that I do that but I am trying to make some of my own cable because I need a bunch and Im poor. Maybe I can make it RJ45 on both ends and put an DB9 to RJ45 adapter on the one end and connect that to my USB adapter? Sorry if this sounds confusing.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Charliegrs posted:

If I make my own Cisco rollover cable with RJ45 on both ends then I understand one end goes into the Cisco router/switch but where does the other end go? The NIC of my pc? Would that even work? Can I map the NIC to a COM port?

And before you tell me just to use a USB to serial adapter and cisco crossover cable, yes I already know that I do that but I am trying to make some of my own cable because I need a bunch and Im poor. Maybe I can make it RJ45 on both ends and put an DB9 to RJ45 adapter on the one end and connect that to my USB adapter? Sorry if this sounds confusing.

The console port on the Cisco devices speaks serial, but just happens to have the conductors packaged up into a commonly used rj45 port. Your NIC speaks 10/100/1000 Base-T ethernet and also happens to be packaged up into a commonly used rj45 port, but it can't speak serial, so no, you can't plug in that way. The cable needs to be a serial cable that is RJ45 on one end, serial of some kind on the other. As you know, this is typically with a DB9 or USB to serial adapter so your computer has to have a serial port or you need a USB to serial adapter. Generally you don't need a ton of these things at the same time but if you need a bunch then sure I guess making them will at least teach you stuff, even if that stuff is how annoying it is to use db9 these days. There are some inexpensive sold versions like:
http://www.amazon.com/Generic-7-Cisco-Console-RJ45-to-DB9/dp/B000GL3MOY/

When making your own cable here is the wiring diagram:
http://www.emprendedor.us/usb-to-rj45-cable-wiring-diagram/3/cisco-console-cable-pinout/

The USB to serial adapters tend to be a little bit more expensive but they don't have to be if you're on an extreme budget, although you'll have to wait on shipping from china and there's no guarantees about quality:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Good-New-USB-2-0-to-RS232-Serial-DB9-9-PIN-Cable-Adapter-GPS-PDA-Converter-/171358098356

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I have an old computer sitting around with a PCI RAID controller with two sata drives in raid 0. Can I pull the card out of that computer and stick it in another and it will remember the raid array or must I see if I can recover any files in place?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
As long has the raid card has some kind of memory it should save the raid array. That's one of the benefits of a controller card for storage devices. Makes it easier to move to a new system if you upgrade.

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.
I'm thinking about building a ZFS NAS. I was originally going to get WD Reds but the description says don't stick more than 6 in a box and I was planning 16 in my chassis. Should I stick with the reds or go enterprise?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

knowonecanknow posted:

I'm thinking about building a ZFS NAS. I was originally going to get WD Reds but the description says don't stick more than 6 in a box and I was planning 16 in my chassis. Should I stick with the reds or go enterprise?
I think I'd stick with the Reds, but be sure your configuration can tolerate simultaneous failure of several drives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

knowonecanknow posted:

WD makes Red Pro drives which are specifically made for this use case (8-16 drives). They're a bit more pricey but still much cheaper than going enterprise.